[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spielberg warns VR technology could be 'dangerous'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: sexe du futur.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
sexe du futur.webm
1 MB, 640x360
Is he right?

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/19/steven-spielberg-warns-vr-technology-dangerous-for-film-making
>>
>>69768229

>Old man yells at cloud

Seriously though I'll be shocked if VR actually catches on in any meaningful way.
>>
>>69768366
lmao dumb
>>
>>69768229
>shitty graphics
>>
>>69768229

I hate france
>>
He's 100% right.

A well made VR film has the potential to be greater than any standard film, but game developers can't even figure out how to make a good story based game without making it a walking simulator and artificially limiting the players movement.

Things like framing and blocking are incredibly important to films, and getting that right in a VR film is gonna be virtually impossible. Not to mention audiences derailing the story and wandering off, or looking at something else while important plot exposition is being exposited.

That's just traditional films though, maybe someone will find a way to make an immersive story that can only be told through VR. VR is definitely not the place to watch a film though.
>>
Let's wait to have this discussion until non-shit VR is created in a few decades
>>
>>69768366
I'm surprised nobody has started developing mmos for it. That and fps games seem like really good ways to use it.
>>
File: 1399331681382.jpg (185 KB, 583x850) Image search: [Google]
1399331681382.jpg
185 KB, 583x850
In this specific circumstance he is right in a way. At the same time it's extremely ignorant to make these statements when it should be directed more at the techniques used for "VR films" which I'm sure at this stage are garbage. VR can and should be it's own kind of genre. As someone who owns a Vive I fucking love it and the potential is insane but we need to ignore the people like this who don't acre for what could be possible due to their own bias and self interest in one specific field.

In the right hands a "VR film" could be amazing and we have some short experiences that show the beginning of very promising experiences. Most of Hollywod is of course against all of this as they have no stake in what is happening right now with the CR market and they are in a position to lose a lot of money if VR picks up steam. Not as a direct competition to regular film viewings but as it's own new form of entertainment which it deserves to become.
>>
>>69768405
Imagine watching some man with VR goggles thrusting the air in front of him furiously while complaining about subpar particle affects and shoddy anti aliasing. Will this be the future?
>>
To all the people convinced that VR will take off as its own medium and doesn't kill film: where will the money come from? VR can only grow at the expense of films because there will be direct competition between them (as well as between VR and video games).
>>
File: 146340289373.png (377 KB, 386x406) Image search: [Google]
146340289373.png
377 KB, 386x406
>>69769559
Because the controllers are shit, it's the first generation pretty much. And it's expansive as shit. It was proposed in one of the classes I attend, and the teacher broke down into a 20 second laughter, and responded "Wait at least 10 more years before concerning yourself with anything VR-related at all."

When will this meme about the current VR generation being so fucking good end? It's all hype.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.