[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come you guys were okay with scarjo being cast as motoko
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 18
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 553x266) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 553x266
How come you guys were okay with scarjo being cast as motoko but flip your shit when based Idris Elba gets cast as the dark tower?
>>
Aren't Anime characters white anyway?
>>
Because Idris Elba is a 100% LITERAL cuck
>>
Because Motoko at least looks white.

Look at the Dark Tower comics and tell us on a scale of 1 to 10 how black Roland is.
The answer is a resounding zero.
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 720x536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 720x536
>>69761630
>How come you guys were okay with scarjo being cast as motoko
>>
>>69761630
Because Dark Tower is good, all anime is bad.
>>
>>69761630
A lot of people aren't okay with Motokos casting
>>
Because it's arguable whether or not Motoko is Asian or white. Meanwhile Roland is white as white can be. That being said Idris will be fine but the film will suck. Both films will suck.
>>
>>69761630
I'm very ok with Elba being cast as Deschain for a couple of reasons:
Firstly, Elba is a great actor.
Secondly, King himself said it was a great casting choice and I trust man.
Thirdly, Elba is a great actor.
>>
>>69761630
Please point me in the direction of the Path of the Chimp.

The problem I have with it, is Roland stands on his own. He doesn't need contrived controversy to make him great. It's a fucking distraction. We have Detta/Odetta as the strong black role. Shit give Idris Eddie Dead, the Prisoner is a much more suiting role.

Shoving Black people into roles is a form of racism in it's self. Basically saying, "Anything a White man can do, I can do equal or better." In stead of, "I am a strong black man, watch me be creative and original."
>>
I haye these threads because it reminds ne that this will happen. Rewatching The Wire and Irish Ebola is not that great of an actor. Muh seriouse face, muh yelling. All he has done. Roland has a bit of humour to him as well as his seriousness. Also...black gunslingers...wtf!
>>
>>69761630

1. Because the character is literally a Clint Eastwood riff.

2. I didn't flip my shit about Scar-Jo because I understood she's the only female who can open a large Sci-Fi film, and it's an English language remake of a cartoon, so Americanizing it is perfectly fine and casting a white woman in the role makes perfect sense.

Then I found out they were setting in Japan and giving her CG slanty eyes and I lol'd so hard I shat myself at the complete fucking retardation that is Hollywood.
>>
>>69761735
>it's arguable whether or not Motoko is Asian or white
only in Stand Alone Complex

she looks very Asian in both Arise and the original film
>>
>>69761630
Because hes black, why else...
>>
>>69761752
Wow. You're retarded three times in one post. Excellent job.
>>
File: scarjo.png (689 KB, 1889x989) Image search: [Google]
scarjo.png
689 KB, 1889x989
>>69761907

>she looks very asian in Arise

sure
>>
>>69761630
I'm indifferent to both. I really couldn't care less about racebending if the end product is decent.
>>
>>69761668
>Because Motoko at least looks white.

This guy inadvertently answered semi-correctly. The real reason is confirmation bias. This board is majority white and everyone is out to get them.

Not even SJW btw. I believe in having fun at the expense of others and I feel for white people and the shit they are having to put up with now. That being said, one thing that has remained constant throughout my life, is that a white guy attempting to remain impartial on the subject of race is a fucking unicorn. They always gravitate towards hypocritical extremes and act like ignorant pieces of shit.
>>
>>69762050

(you)
>>
>>69762211
I'll admit I was baiting but for the record everything I said is 100% true too. The only thing that makes it bait is the fact that mouth breathers here might take offense to it because I don't buy into any us or them horseshit mentality.
>>
File: Wastelands_mir.jpg (131 KB, 400x618) Image search: [Google]
Wastelands_mir.jpg
131 KB, 400x618
GITS as a live action Hollywood production could (very meh could) be alright if the proper attention/detail was given to writing and casting. The latter is almost surely fucked.

As for The Dark Tower live action, I've always debated with the idea of whether it should actually exist or not and ultimately I think not, to start:

- the nature of the story in BOOKS/NOVELS not only serves the incredibly wide and varied nature of settings, places, and people by imagination but also

- the power of stories particularly in BOOKS/NOVELS, how king as a writer, his other works, and all the layered meta business overall will either have to be greatly diminished, warped, or removed altogether
>>
because adaptations of animushit is going to get westernized anyway, while a Stephen King book is as westernized as it already can be.
And rolands ethnicity is integral in the story while motokos isn't
>>
>>69761630
i hope we get to see elba's Dark Tower
>>
Idris Elba casted as Roland Deschain is a fucking disgrace that completely changes the story and of course that lousy fat fuck King said he was okay with it.

The Darktower is one of the few things deserving to be spared a big screen adaptation. How can they possibly pull this off?
>>
because /tv/ is full of white people

wow, answered your retarded question
>>
>>69762311 cont'd

It's just so incredibly complex and detailed, they have to hack off it's fingers, toes, then arms and legs to even get it to fit into a flick format.

I think I've really liked or loved anything I've seen Idris Elba in. But there is no sensible argument to be made for casting a black man in the role of Roland. He's designed upon Arthurian/Clint Eastwood tropes and history, this is integral to the world and plot! And one of the main characters being black and her racial conflict is major workings for the second book.

King has been amiable or supportive for whatever reasons, overrriding the integrity of his work. There's just no good reason other than forced diversity, while spitting in the face of the established character and source.
>>
>>69762050
My lady. We must overcome reason with our feels! Thy will be dome.
>>
>>69762381
this. but most of them are self-hating cucks who embrace nigger roland and would like to see him fuck their wife
>>
>>69762527
they pretty much just shat all over the people who read the books and actually cared about Roland and the world King built..

thanks idiot.
>>
The autists flipped out about scarjo too for ruining their pure weebshit
>>
>>69762612

...King being the idiot, not me righ?

Yeah I mean, he's done brilliant work and deserves thanks for all of it. I just don't know why he would allow such a cherished thing, for him and the fans, to be so easily wrecked and distorted out its core sensibilities and concepts.
>>
>>69761920

Edgy.
>>
>>69762290

This.
>>
>>69762601

>cuck
>nigger

T. Underage stormfag.
>>
>>69762050
>>69762290
>>69762381
>>69762795

sameyfaggy
>>
These aren't exactly the same thing, but in the same direction - some people actually can't believe

- you're disinterested towards or dislike the new Ghostbusters film for any other reason than being sexist, irrational fan, or bandwagon hater

- you're disinterested towards or dislike the Dark Tower film and casting Idris Elba for any other reason than being racist, irrational fan, or bandwagon hater

That it so easily gets boiled down to a matter of progressive ideals for them, while throwing everything else out the window, shit's more ridiculous than ever.
>>
you guys are whack. I've got no problem with you mental midget internet white boys throwing "nigger" around like its nothing, because it isn't. But this whole racism/artistic integrity thing youre on is getting really old. Get over it, black/brown/yellow people aren't just going to be sweeping the floors of the studio anymore, lol.
>>
>>69762722
right
>>
File: JJBNdXw.jpg (312 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
JJBNdXw.jpg
312 KB, 1080x1080
this man is so based

why do you fa/tv/irgins get so buttblasted when it comes to the topic of diversity?

just how much influence does /pol/ have on this board?
>>
File: 1463524794161.gif (732 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1463524794161.gif
732 KB, 400x400
>>69762918
>>
File: Trump.jpg (149 KB, 800x820) Image search: [Google]
Trump.jpg
149 KB, 800x820
>>69762829
>>
>>69761630
>DARK Tower
>played by dark actor

I don't see the problem
>>
>>69762290
>everything I said is 100% true too.

literally nothing you said even had a point. "confirmation bias" when the fucking anime characters have big, blue eyes and hair that's colored anything but black...ok. Even the fucking japs admit it makes more sense to have a white actor play it. See that's the thing, when they pick white actors for a role they always have some kind of justification for it, whereas, with the Dark Tower there is no justification at all. They're doing it...well just because. Go suck on the barrel of a revolver and don't hesitate to pull the trigger pls
>>
I dislike both, bruh
>>
Maintaining artistic integrity and merit > muh progressive diversity raping
>>
File: image.png (322 KB, 546x700) Image search: [Google]
image.png
322 KB, 546x700
>>69762976
>>
>>69762953
I feel bad for him. He's a great actor but he's constantly upstaged by his skin colour. It's like all anyone identifies him with.
>>
>>69763038
I have it open in another tab, but thanks for the link
>>
>>69763003

for the record though I don't care about any of this and I'm not "white"
>>
>>69762953

They're just autistic loser alt-right wingers who blame their problems on society and not themselves.

If they weren't so lazy, they'd submit their """"research"""" to universities and hold speeches.

But they're a pack of BETA losers who can't cope with the fact that people have different opinions than they are, and actually use current facts and research to dismantle myths on races being smarter than one another.

Theyre SJWs at the moment, feeding people false narratives, outdated facts and lies.
>>
>>69763108
Why are you so mad?
>>
>>69761630
JIDF
>>
File: 1460302083811.jpg (37 KB, 500x288) Image search: [Google]
1460302083811.jpg
37 KB, 500x288
>>69763041

He's awesome. But that doesn't matter when

Roland Deschain, in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series is not a black man, nor does its plot, world, and character background allow for it.
>>
Scarjo is perfect for the role

THEY CAST A FUCKING NIGGER AS ROLAND?
>>
Elba is good actor and more or less fits the character Roland.
Scarlett Johannson is a bad one, and also doesnt fit the role of the Major.
>>
File: image.jpg (713 KB, 1744x1708) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
713 KB, 1744x1708
>>69763123

Do I come off as mad? I'm sorry.

It's just that I'm sick and tired of /pol/fags giving /pol/acks a bad name.
>>
>>69763108
>can't cope with the fact that people have different opinions than they are
>t-thats why t-they a-are all a-autistic loser alt-right wingers
wew lad
>>
ITT

Racists/trolls and some mix of the two

Fire up their opposition

But that opposition also doesn't acknowledge actual reasoning for why casting Roland as a black man fucks up the story more than it does anyone good.
>>
File: ms paint comic.jpg (94 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
ms paint comic.jpg
94 KB, 894x894
>>69763197
>>
>>69763068
>for the record though I don't care about any of this and I'm not "white"

That was probably the most pathetic damage control I've ever seen. If you didn't post anything you could have at least passed that shit off as bait.
>>
>>69763226
the thread was race bait to begin with
the next 20 posts will probably be
>go back to /pol/
>no u go back to /reddit/
>u nigger
>no u stormweener
>no u sjw
>>
>>69763223
no one is mad because of their opinion
they're mad because they're shilling constantly on /tv/. You can't have a conversation about anything without someone talking about how women/niggers/SJW's are ruining cinema

It's literally the same problem people had with SJW's in the first place. Not what their views were, but that they would not shut up about it and felt the need to turn every conversation into a discussion on how oppressed they are
>>
>>69763226
>But that opposition also doesn't acknowledge actual reasoning for why casting Roland as a black man fucks up the story more than it does anyone good.

I don't know shit about Dark Tower but I have been here for 8 years and I can assure you this is some boy who cried wolf shit. Literally anytime a character that was not white is made white this board defended it, even for the shittiest movies like Pan. Dark Tower might have a legitimate defense for the character being white beyond "that's what he was described as", but I don't know and I don't care because even if he didn't have a good reason, most people here would still be bitching.
>>
>>69763405
This board gets mad about everything to do with niggers.
white roles given to niggers
completely new roles being created for niggers
niggers shoehorned into stories about white people
niggers getting movies focused on them
niggers appearing in the background for 3 seconds during the Hobbit

there's no point in arguing about it
>>
>>69763333

Based quads tell the truth.
>>
>>69763324
>>69763405
>>69763478

I agree, or more that's kinda what I was acknowledging.

I was just trying to provide at least a little voice of reason on the topic, among all the chaos.
>>
because it wouldn't work with detta's character and they would have to completely scrap her fear of whitey or make her white and call roland a nigger instead
it's fucking retarded
>>
>>69763582

>Voice of reason

There is no reasoning with fanatics.
>>
Because the inspiration for Roland is, quite literally, The Man With No Name. And the Man With No Name is not black. Also it doesn't fit the story and King is a complete hack now.
>>
File: D E L E T E T H I S.jpg (36 KB, 520x416) Image search: [Google]
D E L E T E T H I S.jpg
36 KB, 520x416
>>69761630
kek, this fucking picture
that depiction of roland right behind him is clearly not black
you can't make this shit up
>>
>>69761630
I am not okay with scarjo and I don't give a shit about James Bond desu
>>
>>69761630
>How come you guys were okay with scarjo being cast as motoko
I was?
>>
I'd be okay with it if they cast detta as a white woman.
>>
>>69761652
Yes
>>
>>69761652
Anime characters are based on white people's facial structures. They then add that anime glossy big eyes.
>>
>>69761630
Would have preferred if they cast a talented actress that would suit the role.

Scar is a talentless piece of shit.
>>
>for years everyone wanted Clint Eastwood (white) to star in these films
>movies finally getting made, they cast Idris Elba (black)
>"why is everyone complaining about the casting? its totally accurate you stupid racists"

I don't even care about either series OP but if you can't understand why people would disagree with casting a black man in a role clearly designed with one specific type of white male in mind you're kidding yourself
>>
honestly who cares about race switching. I'm still mad about the recast of the century when they cast sophie turner as jean grey
>>
>>69762381
>implying
>>
>>69761752
stephen king is the biggest sellout hack fraud this side of george lucas and brian singer.

there hasnt been a dollar he's met that he hasnt fallen in love with, or a personal, artistic or professional scruple he wouldnt ignore for a buck.

the last few dark tower books were fucking awful, and were a spit in the eye of his fans.

>>69762918
Roland being A FUCKING WHITE MALE, is a major plot point to the entire series. the whole detta/odetta part of the novels, which is a KEY part of the story, is written out now. anyone who says otherwise never read the books, or is le ebin troolin
>>
>>69761630
I just find it funny that Elba is the only black man in Hollywood.
>>
There were tons of threads expressing outrage to Scarjo's casting. Shitty b8. 0/8
>>
When the gunslinger entered her head in Macy's, Delta screamed in a combination of fury and horror and terror, her hands freezing on the junk jewelry she was scooping into her purse. She screamed because when Roland came into her mind, when he came forward, she for a moment sensed the other, as if a door had been swung open inside of her head. And she screamed because the invading raping presence was a honky. She could not see but nonetheless sensed his whiteness.

Roland is literally white. Casting him as a black man makes sense only in bizarro world.
>>
>>69764469

King literally options his books for a dollar.

He has a brand to maintain now. And in this day and age, where Hulk Hogan was erased from wrestling history over calling a spade a spade, people have to smile and bear blackwashing.
>>
>>69764590
simply epic
>>
>>69764590
What is the point of doing this? Why is this in every thread now?
>>
>>69764664
autism
>>
>>69764664
The pedos think they're making a point.
>>
>>69764615
>calling a spade a spade
There is literally no fucking tape of him doing anything other than fucking a woman. Nobody has ever fucking seen it, the only thing people went by is Gawker saying so. It didn't even show up in court.
>>
File: Japan Loves White People.jpg (18 KB, 300x299) Image search: [Google]
Japan Loves White People.jpg
18 KB, 300x299
>>69762050

Anime directors, including the fucking CREATOR of Motoko, have confirmed that many of their characters are heavily meant to resemble Caucasians, or outright be Caucasian, you fucking retarded knob.

Do you legitimately think characters like Motoko and Samus were meant to be full-on Asians?
>>
>>69761752

>Secondly, King himself said it was a great casting choice and I trust man.

King is a vapid aging Liberal curmudgeon that is TERRIFIED of being called a "racist".
>>
>>69764720
You didn't hear about the hulkster calling his daughter's boyfriend a nigger?
>>
>>69764720

Kek. Hulk wasn't banned for his sex tape, it didn't help though.
>>
>>69763138
>nowhere in this fantasy novel about wizards and demons can a character i imagined to be white be black
>>
>>69765174
refer to >>69764538
stop shitposting
>>
>>69765174
King described him as white you a**hole.
>>
>>69765215
>this minor plot point (actually just character development for delta) in an arc which will probably not be depicted is ruined!!!
>>
>>69765379
>this major plot point (important character development for delta and roland) in an arc which will be depicted is ruined
ftfy greentext-senpai
>>
I don't like Idris Elba when he's not Luther.
>>
>>69761899
how are they gonna get black people to see dark tower then?

oh..
>>
>>69762381
speak for yourself, cracker
>>
>>69765379
here's how I know you didn't read the books or care about them and are just interested in shitposting
the pdf I copied that passage from had numerous errors with spacing, I corrected them as best I could but failed to catch "delta" until after I had posted. the character's name is detta
fuck off already, i'm tired of this low quality bait
>>
>>69765379
You're right, why would the movie adaptation include the good parts of the book?
>>
>>69761630
Probably because Motoko doesn't look Asian at all.
>>
>>69764750
>including the fucking CREATOR of Motoko
The publisher =/= creator
>>
>>69761630
1. Motoko is white in the original
2. Her race isn't important for story

1. Roland is whiter in the original
2. Roland not being black is important story point
>>
>>69761630
Idra
>can't act
>is ugly (niggers always are)
>the character is fucking white
so fuck off.
>>
File: snack that up.png (247 KB, 760x572) Image search: [Google]
snack that up.png
247 KB, 760x572
>>69761630
Because it's at least somewhat justified. Johannson is a known actress that will pull people in theaters.
Also with Motoko they can give a decent explanation, with her being a fucking 95% cyborg and all.
With Elba it's just making him black for no reason other than "muh artistic vision".
>>
>>69762953
>I'm not here to talk about niggers
>proceeds to talk about niggers
diversity is just code for SHIT
>>
We like shitty white actors more than capable black actors.
>>
Motoko goes through multiple bodies. Roland is literally Clint Eastwood, read the books and youd know this, he is not a cowboy, he is specifically Clint Eastwood, down to the squinting. Also as I recall, people actually arent happy about the Motoko thing either.
>>
Let me tell you something that might be a bit dangerous. I was raised in the Wild West. I was schooled in gunslinging. I was given the title of gunslinger. They take a movie “Dark Tower.” They have a 6-foot-2-inch little girl, whether he was black or asian, I don’t know. I don’t care. He had never been to the wild west. He doesn’t speak southern accent. He has never slinged a gun. They make him the Dark Tower. We got 450,000 phone calls [laughs] from everybody in the world saying, “That role was perfect for you. How did that happen?” Most of the people I know didn’t like the film and didn’t go see it. It’s just a classic example of Hollywood and the politics.
>>
>>69761735
This.
>>
File: 1447113562667.jpg (690 KB, 1759x2512) Image search: [Google]
1447113562667.jpg
690 KB, 1759x2512
>>69761787
I was thinking about it, and there was no way the film was going to be made any other way than it was right now.

Here's the options
>Faithfully cast everyone, Odetta is super racist and violent because of bi polar, means painting "poc" as bad == No
>Cast her, but remove the racism, thus removing half her character development == Probably not
>Cast her as white, but cast Eddie as black. Black man is a criminal and a druggy == no
>cast her as white, have her be racist to black Roland, maybe Eddie will be black too, so whites will suddenly become a minority in a cowboy tolkien universe == yes

It was inevitable. You could make Jake black, but Jake brutally dies twice, so that's a no no.

Welcome to the pandering environment we live in.
>>
>>69761630
I won't watch either.
>>
>>69761865
Isn't Susannah a gunslinger too?
>>
File: 1448602659672.gif (2 MB, 560x433) Image search: [Google]
1448602659672.gif
2 MB, 560x433
>>69764108
King doesn't have a say in it, he's sold the rights and has gone through decades of trying to get the Dark Tower on film. He's gone through competent people like JJ Abrams and Ron Howard, so he's literally just trying to stay passive. Roland was described as looking like Clint Eastwood mixed with Stephen King, has been drawn multiple times as white during the series, has a comic where he's white where King supervised, and also is a major story point that he's white.

He's also a descendant of King Arthur. He's white, King knows he's white, everyone who's read it knows he's white. People even debating this are idiots, and there's no way it'll be a faithful adaption.
>>
>>69761630

nobody flips their shit

everyone's pretty fine with elba playing the part
>>
>>69761630
/tv/ is pro white
>>
>>69764246
Yeah, characters that live in Japan and have Japanese names are supposed to be white.
>>
No panic. Most of the movies we get today with black people fail anyway.
>>
>>69761630
Because him being 'le evil witey' is a plot point
>>
No doubt they are gonna make Susannah a White racist to fit their agenda better

The one character they whitewash, funny that
>>
>Talented Actor

>Not Talented

Who fucking cares what color ? Summer, /pol/ , and edge lords rule in these halls
>>
>>69764265
I really hope people don't believe this. Anyone who has seen any significant amount of anime realizes that the styles have developed from a very Asian form.
>>
>>69768980
>Black people can't be bad in media.
I want to kill off the Hollywood faggot that invented this shit.

Btw Aaron Paul's already cast as Eddie, though, so he's definetely not black.
>>
>>69769980
>reeeeeeee
>leave my safe space!!!!! REEEEEEEE
moar liek summer, /reddit/, and sjw tumblrinas rule in these halls
>>
>>69761630
It worked in Blazing Saddles.
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.