[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How badly was this scene butchered? >Dayne dual wielding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57
How badly was this scene butchered?

>Dayne dual wielding
>6 v. 2 instead of 7 v. 3
>Dayne going full General Grievous
>The other Kingsguard being an amalgamation of Gerold Hightower and Oswell Whent
>Line delivery more akin to a pissing contest than honorable dialogue
>Ned actor looking like Nail Patrick Harris
>Kingsguard armor
>>
>How does a scene pictured only in the readers mind not work well on the screen
>>
>>69364254
>implying that adding 2 more actors would automatically make it "not work well"
>>
>>69364364
>suggesting it could ever live up to the expectations of the fans
>>
I haven't watched the show since season 4 and I haven't read past the first book because I hate his prose, but I don't really get how the things you listed, especially the 6v2 instead of 7v3, could "butcher" a fight scene in the books.
>>
>Ned sounding pompous when he should sound sorrowful.
>where is Hightower
>where is Whent's bat symbol
>where is the rest of the dialogue
>DUAL WIELDING

At least Dayne was charismatic as fuck
>>
B O O K F A G S
O
O
K
F
A
G
S
>>
>>69364517
There was no fight in the books. Ned remembers going to find his sister and confronting the kings guard at the Tower of joy. He gives a speech and then the memory ends before the fight is described. He just mentions that only him and reed live. The fight was made solely for the show and suprise suprise, it's shit.
>>
Well the other guard could be inside dealing with the Lyanna. we dont know for sure yet.
>>
God you faggots have nothing better to do than complain about a tv show
>>
>>69364446
Season 1 almost entirely lived up to expectations. The Red Wedding lived up to expectations. What makes this scene so impossibly complex that it could never live up to expectations?
>>
God you faggots have nothing better to do than complain about people complaining about a tv show
>>
>>69364814
>>69364814
God you faggots have nothing better to do than complain about people complaining about a tv show
>>
>>69364254
The scene realistically should have been done in Season 1 when Ned gets his shit wrecked by the Lannister guards. There isn't even a fight in the books just the dialogue between Ned and the kingsguard and then Lyanna's "Promise me Ned"
>>
>>69364814
>>69364836
stay mad losers
>>
>>69364767
The scene was created for the show. The fight is left to the imagination of the reader in the books.
>>
>>69364836
Hey Reddit
>>
>>69364180
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYm-4-00UE

This is so much better
>>
D&D try their hardest not to add new characters cause it makes their hipster fanbase confused even if that was what got them praise in the first place, a lot of well developed characters so it's a miracle it not Selmy fighting against just Ned and Frogfu's dad. Even going as far as to kill important or established characters for cheap shock and not having to keep track of them. You'll only see filler character's that you can instantly recognize from now on:
-Random black dressed Nightwatch,
-Random fur dressed Wildling.
-Random rag dressed peasant.
-Random arab dressed dornishman.
-Random soldier with great house crest even if they don't belong to said house.
-Random longhaired swarthy Dothraki.
At this time they are in just for the cash grab.
>>
File: 1462821325843.png (1 MB, 1188x1386) Image search: [Google]
1462821325843.png
1 MB, 1188x1386
>>
>>69364905

No it wasn't. It was fucking awful.
>>
>>69364906
>i am a raging retard
>>
>>69364905
No, that's a lot worse... duh?
>>
>general grievous
kek
Spot on, I knew it reminded me of something
>>
The actor who played Dayne was fine. Hightower was in the scene.

He was the tower itself
>>
>>69365450
Pottery
>>
>>69365335
Yes, you are.
>>
>>69365529
i'm quoting you
>>
>>69365450
>Ser Gerald Hightower was actually the tower (which was high)

Is there no end to Nolan's genius?
>>
File: 1456293167901.gif (1015 KB, 475x475) Image search: [Google]
1456293167901.gif
1015 KB, 475x475
>>69364905
lmao
>>
>>69364877
But the part leading up to the fight, which is most of the criticism, is in the books. Furthermore the only thing complained about regarding the fight is Dayne dual wielding, and unless he pulls a sword out of his ass immediately as the fight starts then that's not really left up to imagination.
>>
Aren't Dornishmen supposed to be Spaniards or whatever in the show?

Why didn't Arthur Dayne have a 'Dornish accent.'?

That's my fucking gripe. The show can't even stay consistent to itself.
>>
>>69367775
Dorne was based on Moorish Spain when attitudes towards sex, religion and gender equity were more relaxed.
But there are three kinds of Dornishmen.
The "Salty" Dornishmen love along the coasts and are slim with alive skin and black hair
The "Sandy" Dornishmen are even darker than the Salty with similar hair
The Stony Dornishmen though are paler and descended mostly from the First Men and the Andals
House Dayne is made up of primarily Stony Dornishmen so AD's looks and accents aren't really wrong but the show never explained that so it MAKES and inconsistency that doesn't exist in the books
>>
>>69368049
*live along the coasts
*olive skin
>>
>>69368049
Ohhh yes you're right with the 3 types thing, forgot about that. tru nuff.
>>
>>69364180
How badly has this board been overwhelmed by nitpicking dipshit?

>very badly.
>>
>>69364866
No. It shouldn't have.

>>69364942
>Ignoring that the show did all the significant book dialogue
>>
>>69364180

The scene was good. Get over it. Just cause it did not go down the way it did in the book to the exact detail does not make it bad.
>>
>>69364180
Nigger I bet you didn't even read the books. I bet you didn't even start watching until after season 3.

You're just here to bitch. The show never hasn't trimmed shit down and jazzed things up.
>>
File: AN.jpg (26 KB, 550x273) Image search: [Google]
AN.jpg
26 KB, 550x273
>>69364180
>everyone missing the point of the differences between the book depiction and the show depiction

The scene in the book was from Ned's retrospective POV, It wasn't necessarily canon. It was as he remembered it while high on dope and reminiscing, and when people reminisce they tend to do so through rose-colored glasses. The scene in the show was being witnessed first hand by the viewer from Bran's POV. Ned lied to his kids, and probably everybody, about some aspects of the battle, omitted some things, and embellished others. He told the lie so many times that he started to believe it. They are showing that even Ned Stark, who they have built up as a paragon, was flawed and capable of dis-honer and deceit. He didn't actually beat Dayne like he claimed, and now Bran knows this.

The actor was fine, he looked quite alot like a young Bean and the accent and delivery was spot on. It is reasonable that Ned WAS cocky at the beginning, and remorseful after the fact because he had huge admiration for Dayne and didn't like seeing him lose that way.

Dual wielding looked cool, and historical fencing faggots can eat a dick. It was actually decent fight choreography on a show that seems to have no room left in the budget for competent martial artists or choreographers.

Dayne was in the kingsguard.

Dickriding George and his books on /tv/ is retarded. There is nothing wrong with deviating from the book to make the story more palatable or relevant to the viewer. See pic related.
>>
>>69370253

Why did they have to change

>Woe to the usurper if we had been.

to whatever he said, something like

>Your friend, the usurper, would be in the ground if we had been.

One sounds super simple yet intimidating, the other one just made me roll my eyes because it was way worse than how he said it in the book
>>
>>69371103
>Dual wielding looked cool, and historical fencing faggots can eat a dick. It was actually decent fight choreography on a show that seems to have no room left in the budget for competent martial artists or choreographers.

lol
>>
File: galaxy quest hey alright.gif (930 KB, 200x133) Image search: [Google]
galaxy quest hey alright.gif
930 KB, 200x133
>>69371183
>super simple yet intimidating
>Woe to the usurper if we had been.
eh
> the other one just made me roll my eyes because it was way worse than how he said it in the book
Implying you're not autistically watching this shit for things to roll your eyes about.
Implying you'd ever be happy.
>>
File: witch.jpg (3 MB, 2025x3000) Image search: [Google]
witch.jpg
3 MB, 2025x3000
>>69371183
The language is modernized. Nobody said fuck in the middle ages but they say it all the time in Westeros. Any time a film uses authentic antiquated language it will lose a portion of its potential audience to people who don't want to fuck with it. I recommended pic related to a friend who said he couldn't watch it because he hated trying to understand the dialogue. That's probably how about 95% of the GOT audience would feel if they used alot of old english in the dialogue.

I'm not saying that its actually hard to understand if you're not retarded, but the vast majority of people would be turned off by it and a significant portion would have no idea what they mean. All things being equal, I prefer the book version of the line but I understand why they do stuff like that. This is a very mainstream show for a very mainstream audience, and mainstream is a nice way of saying "generally stupid"
>>
>>69371103
Agreed.
Season 6 is triggering the autists something fierce.
>>
>>69364615
Wrong.

Ned and six bannermen confront the 3 remaining KG. All but Ned and Reed die. You can infer what happened from this.
>>
>>69371426

You don't think the other one just sounded kinda clunky in comparison? Like it was written by a high schooler who thought it would sound intimidating?
>>
>>69364942
>best two fighters in show are Dayne and Fookin Legend
>both get stabbed in the back
Figures
>>
File: ultimate xenomorph.jpg (58 KB, 474x503) Image search: [Google]
ultimate xenomorph.jpg
58 KB, 474x503
>>69364180
>mfw I liked it
>>
>>69367775

Daynes are aliens.
>>
>>69364648
my thoughts exactly
>>
>>69371103
Ned only claims that "Howland Reed saved my life". Not that Ned beat the fuck out of the greatest swordsman ever in a 1v1
>>
>>69371103
Ned never claimed to beat Dayne though lol, in fact he basically stated that he would be dead if Howland Reed wasn't there
>>
>>69371730
>You don't think the other one just sounded kinda clunky in comparison?
Thought it sounded fine. It all sounds clunky in the show. And a lot of reads clunky in the book. They're talking in GRRM speak.

>Like it was written by a high schooler who thought it would sound intimidating?
Not anymore than it ever was. It's not like Ned ever wasn't a clunky autist. And they are almost literally highschoolers. Ned is in his teens.
>>
>>69371844
Bran: He's better than my father
3ER: Far Better
Bran: How did father beat him?
3ER: Did he?
Bran: I know he did...I've heard the story a thousand times

He is obviously confused, then disturbed that his father lied to him. I can't believe this is going over anyone's head. They were pretty explicit in illustrating this.
>>
>>69364180
Damn this scene triggered the bookfag.
>>
>>69371933

Someone mentions in an earlier ep that Reed saved Ned's life, can't be fucked to find it for ya but google - that's what Ned told a very few people.

I'm assuming Bran was told ridiculous hero-stories by Stark soldiers and sworn men, all in awe of their lord. People make up and embellish things about those they look up to, especially war stories.

Ned wanted to keep RLJ a secret, and was traumatized by his sisters death. He didn't even tell ROBERT about what happened there, and refused to discuss it with Cat - why would he tell his 8 year old son "a thousand times"?

It was just the Stark version of Castermere, the ultimate "my dad (lord) could beat up your dad".
>>
>>69371933
Not that anon but it was other people that said Ned beat Dayne.

Mind you Bran doesn't say "he told me the story a thousand times" he said he's "heard the story a thousand times".
>>
>>69368049
>Dorne was based on Moorish Spain when attitudes towards sex, religion and gender equity were more relaxed.

Holy shit you can't possibly be this stupid
>>
File: chicken hound.gif (3 MB, 525x295) Image search: [Google]
chicken hound.gif
3 MB, 525x295
>>69371933
While watching the scene so I could transcribe this dialogue I noticed that Dayne only has one scabbard strapped to him. The second sword that the bookfags are so buttpained about is going to be relevant to the story. It was omitted from Ned's recollection for the reasons I outlined here >>69371103 and there was probably something traumatic that led to his acquisition of it that led Ned to try to forget about it. He either took it from a comrade or an enemy. The second sword looks similar or identical to the first, so probably a comrade. Also, bookfags have been crying about 2 instead of 3 should consider the possibility that the third guy is in the tower, perhaps unarmed or dead because Dayne has his sword for whatever reasons will be revealed, and Ned may have lied and said it was 7v3 because it sounded slightly better than 6v2.

>>69372121
When people tell their kids stories they leave things out. A child may ask his dad "How did you and mom meet?". If the answer is "I fucked her in a bathroom stall at a pool hall after buying her a shot of tequila" He may just shorten that to and clean it up a bit to be "We met while shooting pool, and I thought she was pretty so I started talking to her and we hit it off".

>>69372148
None of those people were there. Most of them were probably serfs who served the Starks and semi-worshipped them as heroes and leaders. Stories about lords exchanged by their serfs were probably ridiculously embellished sometimes Lord Stark was 8 feet tall! I saw him kill 50 men with only a shield! etc. All it takes is a good story teller and a little kernel of truth to blow it up into a hero tale.
>>
>>69364180
No matter how well this scene was done, autists on /tv/ would say its shit. In my opinion it was pretty well done arguably one of the best fight scenes in the whole series. If you disagree you either have way to high standards for this show or you are autistic.
>>
>>69371576
And that's the fallacy. Writers need to stop projecting our language, fashion, taste etc onto a medieval, and a fictional one at that, universe
>>
>>69364905
this is awful
>>
>>69372364
i bet you bitched and complained when you read MacBeth in high school because you couldn't understand the antique language
>>
>>69372364
That's the advantage of doing a show in a fictional universe like GOT instead of doing historical stuff. I remember hearing a guy on NPR talking about a book that he had just published about the War of the Roses. This guy was a legit royal historian from England, as much of an expert on the medieval history that GOT is loosely based on that you could ever hope to find in the world. He mentioned GOT several times, comparing the War of the Roses to GOT, and the interviewer eventually asked him "It seems like you're a big fan of GOT". He said that he loves it because when he watches an actual historical fiction he just gets annoyed by the little inaccuracies that he sees but a director, costume/set/prop designer never would. He gets caught up on the types of dyes that were available in a region vs the color of the clothes, the smithing techniques required to make a piece of metal that perhaps weren't available in that region at that time, the architecture, cooking methods, royal protocols and customs, all kinds of little stuff that is BIG to him as an historian. When he watches GOT he doesn't have this problem because its Westeros, not England. He hasn't dedicated his life to studying Westeros, and even if he did its all fiction so it can't really be "wrong".
>>
>>69372394
i agree

woe to the usurper is star wars tier dialogue
>>
>>69371576
While 'woe' is somewhat archaic, it's not actually a hard word to grasp given the context in which it is often used. Its not a dealbreaker for me and overal I though the tower of joy scene was fine, but it is one of the more iconic lines of the book.
>>
>>69372500
I know right, the worst are those who make "historical" portrayals but are pretty much as fantasy as GoT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCJUDdEirco
>>
>>69372306
>None of those people were there

Why does it matter if they were there or not?
I'm saying he would've heard a bullshit story from the people instead of from his father himself.

Again, he said he heard the story a million times, not that he's heard it from his dad. ed doesn't even talk about Lyanna much as Sansa said, much less tell the story about how he found her dead and brought her back.

You're too convinced of your own theory based on a single line m8.
>>
>>69372500
Yeah, ignorance is bliss in these instances. I suffer from the same problem, but Im lucky Im just an average yokel, not an actual expert.
>>
File: mgR694O.jpg (182 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
mgR694O.jpg
182 KB, 1280x800
>>
>>69364180
They literally mentioned Hightower in the same episode so why the fuck wasn't he there
>>
>>69372632
I was agreeing with you to an extent. He doesn't say that he DID NOT hear it from his dad. It is reasonable that he heard tales of his dad's glory days from both Ned and others. You're just being pedantic.
>>
>>69372778
>Ned
>talking about war glory

Top kek
>>
>>69372778
>Ned
>Glory
>>
>>69364180
In fact him donig the "general grevious " was a very wise thing.
If you are surounded you want to flail your swords like a mad man to kęep everyone at distance. It's called the Moulenette (not sure on how to write it), or the Mill.
Matt Easton talked about it in one of his videos.
>>
>>69372869
>Ned
>Gloryhole
>>
>>69372831
The worst part of the scene is that it's supposed to be something about Ned being dishonorable because of the way Howland Reed saved him, though Bran remembered it was supposed to be a fair fight. Barring the fact that Ned never boasted and admitted he was saved by Howland, what relevance does it even have anymore if he wasn't honorable?
>>
>>69364180
I waited years for this fucking scene. Painful to think about
>>
File: GoT JUST FUCK MY DAYNE UP.png (228 KB, 472x598) Image search: [Google]
GoT JUST FUCK MY DAYNE UP.png
228 KB, 472x598
>>69372938
It wasn't Ned being dishonorable, it was Howland being dishonorable.

And it doesn't seem like Ned and Howland spoke much after that and even Howland was ashamed of it apparently since he never spoke about the rebellion to Jojen. So it might serve to answer why Howland is rarely seen
>>
>>69372938

You can see how unhappy Ned was ordering CIA to bribe the goldcloaks, and how pissed he got at Robert for ordering Dany-poisoning.

The guy hates being around dishonourable people, he hates seeing dishonourable things, and to benefit from one must rankle.
>>
>>69368049
Holy shit you pleb. The 3 type thing is just something that maester who wrote a history book pulled out of his ass. No Dornish character refers to another Dornishman as salty or stony.
>>
>>69372676
so where was gerold?
>>
>>69373057

I don't call people Berbers or Catalan, but that doesn't mean it's not a thing. Normies say "darker skinned" and maesters use the scientific definition of the racial type.
>>
>>69373062
Where was "the great white blade Dawn"? D&D literally don't plan more than one season at a time.
>>
>>69364692
Do you know where you are?
>>
>>69373062
The kingsguard that died first was Gerold.

He was an amalgamation of Gerold and Whent but billed as Gerold

https://twitter.com/EddieEyre/status/729957839997939712

And there is no Whent around, though he may be lying cause NDA.
>>
>>69373057
But he is right that there are light haired Dornes and dark ones.

There's no description of Arthur Dayne's appearance IIRC, but Ashara (his sister) had dark hair and purple eyes and Edric Dayne, his nephew or something, had pale blonde hair and purple eyes (I think)

The Daynes interbred with Targaryeans at some point, but even then they precede the arrival of the Rhoynar (who became the dark skinned Dornishmen)
>>
File: 1462823870738.jpg (35 KB, 469x348) Image search: [Google]
1462823870738.jpg
35 KB, 469x348
>>69372500
>listening to NPR
>>
TESTING THIS THREAD WITH NO SURVIVORS
>>
>>69372306
Holy fuck are you literally 15 years old?
>>
File: 1440988597248.png (94 KB, 1445x695) Image search: [Google]
1440988597248.png
94 KB, 1445x695
They fucked it up so bad. Holy fuck. The best scene in all the books, reduced to faggot shit.
>>
It was a great scene and the people who are so butthurt about it literally masturbate to fanart of ASoIaF

I read all the books as well and I couldn't care less that they modified it to fit TV better. It was exciting and the dialogue was a perfect mix of source material and unspergifying it for TV.
>>
File: 1462745000680 - Kopia.png (18 KB, 136x166) Image search: [Google]
1462745000680 - Kopia.png
18 KB, 136x166
>>69364180

In the books everything is all fantasy and epic

But i think they try to minilize it in the show to make it more truthful to real life. Just like all stories and legends can sound amazing, but in person its just not really special, its just real life

thats why all the fighting scene look more like real medival age and not crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon tier fantasy
>>
File: georgie peorgie.jpg (179 KB, 625x352) Image search: [Google]
georgie peorgie.jpg
179 KB, 625x352
>>69373056
So maybe this was a formative experience for him, and was instrumental in turning him from a a cocky little shit teenager to a person dedicated to chivalry?

The strongest part of the whole GOT story is the character transformations. Jamie starts as a cocky shit talker who mocks everyone and is humbled somewhat by his experience and grows to respect people like Brienne. Along the way we see that he is actually very haunted by the way everyone judges him without knowing that he saved thousands of lives, so he goes from being depicted as a scumbag to a quiet hero who didn't do it for glory but truly to save innocent. The Hound is a ruthless child murdering brute, but he is also humbled by his experience and we see his pain as well as he describes his shitty childhood and awful treatment by father and brother, so we can actually sympathize with him despite what a cunt he's been to everyone. Theon he does terrible and arrogant things and then gets beaten down so bad and becomes so pathetic that you wish he would catch a break because he's had enough, almost to the point of forgiving his crimes.

Mostly it has been bad guys who were shown to have a good side. Now they are doing the opposite with Ned, transforming him from a paragon to a flawed, haunted-by-his-past deceitful and perhaps false hero.

Now that the show is surpasing the books chronologically the sound of butt hurt is going to become deafening. Bookfags are going to sound like the Rob Stark fan girls who were crying when he died, but they will do it for every new plot development.
>>
File: 1376718599501.png (854 KB, 600x887) Image search: [Google]
1376718599501.png
854 KB, 600x887
>>69371933

It was explicit in the books as well. Reed didn't get injured; he blindsided Dayne while he was focused on Ned.
>>
File: 1362832297538.gif (138 KB, 500x406) Image search: [Google]
1362832297538.gif
138 KB, 500x406
>>69373487
>thats why all the fighting scene look more like real medival age and not crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon tier fantasy

If that were true they would go full HEMA.

He dual wields in the show, for fuck's sake.

Besides it's not like GRRM's fight scenes are full on fucking swashbuckling. You're mistaken in such an egregious sense that I want to pop you in the mouth.
>>
>>69373564

HEMA?
>>
File: 1376988386838.png (319 KB, 493x750) Image search: [Google]
1376988386838.png
319 KB, 493x750
>>69373028

I wouldn't be that sore about being dishonorable if it saved my fucking friend's life.

He fucked off to the swamp simply because he hates cunts.
>>
>>69373517
It was explicitly NED'S FUCKED UP VISIONS WHILE HE WAS ROBOTRIPPING ON SYRUP

It doesn't make it true just because he remembers it that way. You'll see next week. If there was internal POV dialogue from Viserys it would probably be a bunch of bullshit about how he's a fucking dragon and everyone else is shit, and in reality he was an androgynous inbred faggot. A character's internal dialogue describing something is not inherently objective truth about anything.
>>
>>69364180
>How badly was this scene butchered?
>implying I care about how the books handled it
This was the best fight scene since that Bronn fight in Sky City (still pretty silly tho).
>>
>>69364180
3rd kingsguard will be guarding lyanna so they can add in an extra fight scene
>>
>>69373564

I said minilize to get closer to real, not 100% accurate to real life. Just enough to make the audience relate to the situation
>>
I'm honestly more conflicted about them basically confirming that jon is azor ahai already.

Idk, I always subscribed to the theory anyway, but to have red bitch literally call jon the prince that was promised and then immediately go to ToJ was kind of too much for me.

The scene itself was executed about as well as I'd expect them to execute a scene now.
>>
>>69373516

Meh I don't think so. Robert starts shit talking his honourable nature immediately as they meet in AGOT - and everything he's referring to is rebellion-era. Ned never slept with a woman before marriage, was disgusted by the murder of the Targaryen children etc etc. DESU I often wonder if he was going to take the black before Brandon died.

Ned does do bad shit - he's very quick to judge others wrongly (e.g. Jaime, Renly), and has zero emotional intelligence - but I think he's played pretty straight in that. The guy is an honour autist.
>>
>>69364586
Why would Whent have a bat sigil? Kingguard give up that when they join
>>
>>69373604
>HEMA

Historical European Martial Arts. It's like the difference between Olympic wrestling and WWE.
>>
>>69373726

Mandem has a bat on his helmet. I think the Kingsguard is a lot more lax about this sort of stuff than the Night's Watch - many Kingsguard are powerful people after all. Jaime wears his golden armour all the time iirc
>>
>>69364942

So is Dawn the original Lightbringer or some shit? Makes no sense that the supposed magic sword that only Azor Az-whatever has an exact clone down in Dorne
>>
>>69373672
>It doesn't make it true just because he remembers it that way.

It's moreso the laziness of the people who made the show. Be honest here.

They absolutely fucking butchered that scene.
>>
got jumped the shark
>>
>>69371103

It's inconsistent with Neds character to lie about something so petty as his own personal glory. Remember that this is a man who holds honor higher than anything but brought shame on himself by pretending Jon was his bastard.
>>
>>69364180
not to mention

>no one has heard of shields or chain mail.
>>
>>69373062
>>69372676

Actually read the page. That is Hightowers page. Even a few lines down it says "All three were defeated by a small force"
>>
>>69373939
you're not very smart, are you?
>>
>>69372881
The hollywood spin has nothing to do with the moulinet (which is a circular motion of the tip of the sword around the opponent blade, leaving the hilt still, and isn't really done with longswords, certainly not while dual wielding). What you're thinking about is flourishes.
>>69373897
But the stark guys are wearing maille and wielding shields?
>>
>>69364180

i dont expect the show to be an accurate adaptation and i enjoy it for what it is even though its often shit

neds actor looked fucking constipated though
>>
>>69373689
>best fight since The Hound vs the Polliver
ftfy

But anything with Bronn is still the GOAT. If I could serve anyone on the show it would be Sir Bronn. He would be awesome to chill in a keep with, drinking and groping bitches while making snarky comments like "There's no cure for being a cunt".

>>69373865
I think that's the point. It was out of character for the Hound to almost cry when he talked about his brother and father hurting him as a child too. It was out of character for Jaime to risk his life to save Brienne. It is a common theme in the show that people often act "out of character" after establishing their initial personality traits. That is in large part what a character arc is: a character being transformed by their environment to the point that they are almost unrecognizable in their actions.
>>
>>69373028
>muh dish onorable moves
Jesus fooken Christ.
>>
>>69373516
I just hope Ramsay won't get this treatment.
Or any at that matter, beside being impaled.
Having bad mother fuckers who are irredeemable is not a bad thing.
>>
>>69374313
Agreed. I don't think it will happen. He's a pure villain. I was afraid they were going that direction when he was mourning his girlfriend, but then he said to feed her to the dogs and I felt better.
>>
>>69374101
Isn't Bronn's actor a real stuntman knowing his sword-n-borad shit? What this show, and any other like it, needs more is people like that.
>>
Howland Reed dies after ToJ.
>>
File: bronn the gay singer.jpg (11 KB, 236x240) Image search: [Google]
bronn the gay singer.jpg
11 KB, 236x240
>>69374401
lol no he was always an actor and had a short career singing pop covers. He may have done stunt work but I don't think it was ever a major career path for him. He does look good when fighting though.
>>
$50 says Daenerys Stormborn of the House Plotarmor ends up burning down whatever temple all the widows are staying at and declares herself "Leader of Widows" or some shit. While killing the khal of the clan who sent her there and taking command of the entire khalasar before leading them back to Meereen of course.
>>
>>69364180
How bad is your autism?

It's just a shitty fighting scene, no one gives a shit how realistic it was. You can barely understand what's going on anyway, so it doesn't have much bearing on the characters.
>>
>>69374490

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Qon-Udlhw

>you will never go to the movies with bronn
>>
>>69374509
pls no

>>69374490
fuckin KEK
>>
>>69372364
>Using art as historical evidence

Not saying you're wrong, but is there any documentation of the vibrancy of the clothes beyond just the painting?
>>
>>69364180
I didn't care about who died and didn't know who was fighting to be honest. All I knew was one guy was that teen lesbos father
>>
>>69374509

She will lead the Khalasar when they see her riding Drogon and declare her the "Ultimate rider" or some such gay shit
>>
>>69364180

So has that chad loving autist done his review for episode 3 yet?
>>
File: juuj2.jpg (44 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
juuj2.jpg
44 KB, 900x600
>dual wielding

What's next? Giant katanas?
>>
>>69364767
There wasn't enough screentime to fit the whole scene in, we needed to see meme-dwarf talk about conversations and have a long arse montage of arya getting smacked around instead.
>>
File: XKFLrER.png (228 KB, 625x1900) Image search: [Google]
XKFLrER.png
228 KB, 625x1900
>>69374712
>>
>>69364180
Why didn't Faramir just go there with like 20 archers and shoot those fags full of arrows since shields are for pussies?
>>
File: Hungry Danny.jpg (74 KB, 528x794) Image search: [Google]
Hungry Danny.jpg
74 KB, 528x794
>>69374634
She will gorge herself on horse hearts, ripping them from the chests of living horses to satiate her incredible hunger. She will eat more than anyone has ever eaten, and be declared The Broodmare Who Will Eat the World. At this point the Dothraki will have no horses left, so they will climb on her massive fat back and she will float across the narrow sea, a passage the Dothraki have never taken but they are now able to thanks to the HMS Fatdanny, and she will claim the feast tables that are her birthright. Within a few weeks she will have eaten the last bowl of brown in fleabottom, and will turn her attention north. The white walkers will prove a delicacy, and she will consume them all with a fork and knife made of dragonstone. When her dragons get bored killing farmers and shit they will fly to westeros. Panic will ensue, but Danny will simply construct a spit roast and cook the dragons on a pile of burning corpses. Feminists everywhere will be elated to finally have a hero of their own, a capable leader who has created a utopia free of fat shaming or misogyny, and the finale will win 23 Emmys.
>>
>>69372676
wow
>>
File: Hitler-stupid-smiling-276417.jpg (46 KB, 590x525) Image search: [Google]
Hitler-stupid-smiling-276417.jpg
46 KB, 590x525
>>69372676
history is a lie written by the winners
>>
File: laff aragorn.jpg (8 KB, 323x241) Image search: [Google]
laff aragorn.jpg
8 KB, 323x241
>>69374868
>HMS Fatdanny

Yeah, capping this shit
>>
>>69371844
>claims "Howland Reed saved my life"

Exactly this.

I always assumed from reading the books that Reed had stabbed Dayne in the leg / hamstrung him from the ground allowing Ned to finish him.

It was a 7 on 3 fight that only 2 people survived. Anything else makes no sense.
>>
File: 1461071095431.jpg (81 KB, 419x480) Image search: [Google]
1461071095431.jpg
81 KB, 419x480
>>69364586
>>where is Hightower
>>where is Whent's bat symbol
>>where is the rest of the dialogue
>>
>>69373939
Will the Small Forceâ„¢ be the next Twentay Good Men?
>>
>>69364692
Shit ignored is shit spread.
>>
>>69364180
Shit like this is why I stopped watching the show a long time ago
>>
>>69371752
>barely keeping up with Jon "Babyface" Snow
>one of the two best fighters
>>
>>69371752
Third would be an old guy who went into hostile territory wearing no armour and acting like a dolt.
>>
>>69374712
Two weapons are always better than one
>>
>>69375193
So why is holding two guns in each hand looked down upon?
>>
>>69364180
>That old ass armor with a cuck stamp on the front

o i am laffin
>>
>>69364942
>Ned talking like an actual northerner
>bad
Bookautists confirmed for classist southener
>>
File: gun fu.gif (54 KB, 469x200) Image search: [Google]
gun fu.gif
54 KB, 469x200
>>69375284
Because most faggots can't Gun Fu
>>
>>69371103
>Dual wielding looked cool
To a retard like you, maybe.
>historical fencing faggots can eat a dick
At this point, even stage fighting (though rarely in major productions) seems to incorporate bits and pieces from HEMA to improve the quality of the choreography and make it more believable and thus more immersive and, overall, better. And when a show is as hyped as this one, it is normal for people to have certain expectations about its quality.
>>
>>69364180
I enjoyed the battle even thought the dual swords was a bit much.
>>
File: (you).jpg (2 MB, 1554x2223) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
2 MB, 1554x2223
>>69375451
I knew one of you faggots would show up eventually. Kill yourself with a piece of blue foam and stay out of my high fantasy with your cosplay bullshit.
>>
I enjoyed it because I was looking at the scenery instead of scrutinizing the choreography. It always looks better that way
>>
>>69364906

>i am a fucking idiot
>>
>>69375525
you can literally see how the other stuntsmen aim for his swords, not his body.

It's like schoolgirls fighting with sticks
>>
Pretty good scene. Booktards tears are delicious.
>>
File: deadly combat club.jpg (944 KB, 1037x691) Image search: [Google]
deadly combat club.jpg
944 KB, 1037x691
>>69375608
lol this autist thinks this would look better on screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umi_HUoLdl0
>>
>>69375193
One big weapon>two small weapons
That's fact.
>>
>>69375695
I never said that, I said that dual wielding longswords will never work, unless you are 2,5m and 150kg barbarian
>>
One of the most prominent themes in the show/book is legends not living up to the expectations. So they should go that way and make that scene grounded in reality and not as great as Ned described it. Or bite the bullet and go with fanservice, making the scene exactly like Ned described it.
>>
>>69375801

Yeah it looked awkward as fuck to wield two longswords. The scene would have been much better if they had been shorter.
>>
>>69375833
>legends not living up to expectations
You mean like Ned not living up to Bran's expectations? Because that is what is happening.
>>
It was so dumb when one of the Kings guards died and Ned or.someone was behind the other one and he somehow blocked the swords from all the direction

It was that stupid "one at a time" shtick that I didn't expect from this show
>>
Showfag here, I have a question. Why did Ned bring a handful of people to rescue his sister? Why not 30?
>>
>>69375899

Why not 300?
>>
>>69375525
>calls other faggots
>can't differentiate between LARP and HEMA
>GoT is high fantasy
Pro tip: shitposting is better when it makes at least some sense.
>>
>>69375914
Yea why not?
>>
>>69373028
>It wasn't Ned being dishonorable, it was Howland being dishonorable.

The fuck are you sperging autisto?!

He was attacked 6 on 1, is that fucking honourable, fucking retards. This was not a duel, this was a skirmish.
>>
>>69372364
>comparing the North to the Normans
Yeah, let's compare the poor, Arctic area to a fairly rich temperate area.

The show has varied and colourful costumes for characters from King's Landing, the Reach and The Westerlands. The prosperous areas have fancier clothes, just like in real life.
>>
>>69375899
I don't think he exactly knew it would be guarded by the remaining kingsguard, I think those guys were just his allies on the field during the battle of the Trident
>>
>>69375917
>calling people faggots
If the shoe fits....

>can't differentiate between retarded shit and similarly retarded shit
you got me

>GoT is high fantasy
But it is, you fucking LARPAMAHEME faggot. I mean its like the textbook definition of high fantasy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fantasy
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with dual wielding
>>
File: Sami-folk-costume.jpg (638 KB, 2084x1172) Image search: [Google]
Sami-folk-costume.jpg
638 KB, 2084x1172
>>69375959
yeah man look at these destitute northerners and their grey and black clothing
>>
>>69367775
i think house dayne is supposed to be as old as the andals invasion or something like that
>>
>>69376027
aside from it being impractical and immersion breaking? If they had given him a parrying dagger I'd be cool, at least that's feasible

Dual wielding two long swords is not practical in any situation.

I can strike with one sword at an opponent just as many times as someone with two
>>
>>69376027
b-but it makes me sound like I know shit about medieval warfare
>>
>>69375695
Samurai movies, at least older ones, benefited from fighting scenes that were heavily based on kendo/kenjutsu techniques, even though they didn't really looked like actual bouts. So, yeah, it could look better.
>>
File: us.gif (359 B, 16x11) Image search: [Google]
us.gif
359 B, 16x11
>>69376030
>yeah man look at these destitute northerners and their grey and black clothing
>retard believes this is a photo from the middle-ages.

here's ya flag, you earned it.
>>
>>69376091
>I can strike with one sword at an opponent just as many times as someone with two
that doesnt make sense
>>
>>69376027
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJBEDxh0RQw
>>
>>69371426
D&D do this thing were they merge book content and their own lines for this big clusterfuck of dialogue and its usually bad. But then again they do have to accomdate for the pleb who can't remember back to season 1
>>
>>69364905
I like it.
>>
>>69371683

> and then the memory ends before the fight is described. He just mentions that only him and reed live

well i see you're still retarded
>>
>>69376012
>can't differentiate between retarded shit and similarly retarded shit
good excuse, idiot
>>
File: 1462632479849.png (107 KB, 240x285) Image search: [Google]
1462632479849.png
107 KB, 240x285
>>69376119
>here's ya flag, you earned it.
KEK
I see a new meme here.
>>
File: knut.jpg (18 KB, 295x375) Image search: [Google]
knut.jpg
18 KB, 295x375
>>69376119
i kno rite, look at these poor northerners. They're so poor they can't make clothing that looks like complete shit! I wonder why they aren't depressed and killed themselves because everyone wears drab and they have so little yearly sunlight
>>
>>69375695

There's a recent game called Exanima where sword fight is similar to this.
80% is footwork, move in, move out. The damage is usually done in brief intervals in between, which could end the fight.

https://youtu.be/q5pLNPSAVEU?t=45

I don't recall having to fight more than one melee attacker though, unless it's a FFA 1v1v1 type of fight, or the enemies are zombies.

That said, if possible to 1 v 4 like in the show, it would involve running around with all kinds of shoving, kicking and disregards all the formation and swordsmanship.
>>
>>69376128
>could
>would
>unlikely
>some youtube faggot anyway
still doesnt make it wrong for one of the best fighters in fantasyland
>>
>>69364180
>Dayne dual wielding
Who cares
>6 v. 2 instead of 7 v. 3
Also unimportant
>Dayne going full General Grievous
Same point as your first
>The other Kingsguard being an amalgamation of Gerold Hightower and Oswell Whent
Same point as your second
>Line delivery more akin to a pissing contest than honorable dialogue
This is very true, they butchered the dialog and that's what made the scene a travesty
>Ned actor looking like Nail Patrick Harris
Back to pointless nitpicking
>Kingsguard armor
Muh white armor won't be in the show, give it up

Critique the scene for the right reasons; fucking up the amazing, poignant and subtle (compared to the show) dialog from aGoT, as well as the scenery of the Tower of Joy and surrounding mountains being no-effort dogshit.
>>
>>69374712
There's nothing wrong with dual wielding, whatever the fuck that really means. Two weapons = a means to fight two opponents at a single instance, is stupid. Two weapons = a means to attack with both hands at a single instance, slightly less stupid depending on size of either.
Pro-tip: A shield is as much of a weapon as a sword.
Pro-tip: A dagger in the offhand can parry just as well a shield.
The point of having two things in your hand is to allow yourself a means to strike after re-directing the opponent's weapon. Parry with knife, stab with sword. Parry with sword, stab with knife. Parry with sword, jam rim of buckler into rib or head.
>>
>>69376124
dual wielding doesn't add any speed to which you can attack. It's utterly retarded.

The only case of dual wielding effectively is with a rapier and a main gauche, but that's a parrying dagger that could attack potentially, but was mostly used to parry with and then you use your rapier to riposte.

Supposedly there was some obscure italian school of fencing that used two long-swords, but no one cares about them
>>
>>69376012
HEMA not being LARP is pretty obvious, if you can't tell the difference between the two then this does not speak well about you. Especially if you feign ignorance on purpose.

P.S. Please avoid using memepedia for source, it will make you look less mentally challenged than you actually are : )
>>
>>69375838

It would have looked better if he'd just wielded a parry dagger in one hand and a longsword in the other. It wouldn't have looked so fucking awkward at least.
>>
>>69375896
It was pretty terrible, i can't believe retards are actually defending that scene.

Also the amount of times one of the guardsman stabbed some dude, and had to take a long moment to pull the sword out.

Nobody attacked him during this?
>>
>>69375695
>only 1 4/10 gurl present
How do these guys carry on?
>>
>>69376309
>dual wielding doesn't add any speed to which you can attack. It's utterly retarded.
again. that doesnt make sense.
>>
File: 1439741730529.gif (2 MB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
1439741730529.gif
2 MB, 450x253
>>69376266
>A dagger in the offhand can parry just as well a shield.

Maybe if you said buckler.
>>
>>69376316
Nothing wrong with using longsword with one hand .
>>
>>69376196
This is really bad man, like really, really bad. The character uses the sword to make swings instead of using it as it was intended in a leveraged movement. If someone actually fought with a longsword like this, he would be fucked up in 2minutes tops.

Here is a demonstration of a couple of longsword techniques from the lichtenawer manual of fencing from the medieval era, by a fencing school in slovakia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjT4JepA-Vc&list=PLC508F6FF289E07AA

As you can see there are no 180° swings and other crap as seen in your game video, the sword is used in a leveraged manner.
>>
>>69376364
it does, you're just retarded and dont understand basic biomechanics
>>
File: Neil Patrick Stark.png (478 KB, 749x468) Image search: [Google]
Neil Patrick Stark.png
478 KB, 749x468
> nauwitenz
>>
>>69376361

Daisy Chain.
>>
>>69376382
It is when you use two.
>>69376316
Especially when Bronn and Jaime do exactly that multiple times. Not that it really matters, I wish everyone had more heraldry and actually used shields as they do in the book.
>>
>>69376257
it was the scenery and dialogue for me. The dual wielding was done well, i creased when i first heard of it but when i saw it, i watched it again it was clever desu senpai. But the exchange between ned and dayne was shit, in terms of lines not acting.
>>
>>69376382
>Nothing wrong with using longsword with one hand .

I know, hence why I didn't say that.
>>
>>69376385
yeah, sure. I'm the one who doesnt understand biomechanics. Nice explanation btw
>>
>>69376242
>fantasyland

I mean, all of his points about why it's shit basically boils down to human anatomy and basic logic based on what combatants you're likely to fight against.

It's not like GoT is fucking Lord of the Rings man, duel wielding is retarded nonsense for 12 year old children and mouth breathers with the mental age of same who think it's "EPIC!"

Also hes an archeologist and historian IIRC so he holds more weight than some dude shitposting on 4chan.
>>
>>69376309
>dual wielding doesn't add any speed
Cut off one of your arms and fight me. You will see, that I will hit you more frequently
>>
>>69376552

baiting or actually retarded
>>
>>69376552

You can't put all your force and power into two strikes though, so instead of 1 weapon at 100% you're basically using 2 weapons at 50%, and even then the added riskiness, difficulty of parrying, unwieldiness of using 2 one handed weapons probably diminishes that to 30-40% at best.
>>
>>69376526
it boils down to being unlikely for the average medieval fighter to use it. sure, everybody knows this already. Wouldt make it wrong for some well trained god-tier fighter in a fantasy setting.
I will ignore your other 2 sentences (hyperbolic opinion, appeal to authority)
>>
File: ayURvhu.gif (546 KB, 500x240) Image search: [Google]
ayURvhu.gif
546 KB, 500x240
have you
>dual wielding kek
faggots ever heard of suspension of disbelief? no? k
>>
>>69376602
no answer or ad hominem?

>>69376630
your numbers are wildly exaggerated, but granted, of course you arent twice as fast with dual wielding. But you are surely faster than with just one weapon.
>>
>>69376257
How was the dialogue 'butchered'? It wasn't particularly great anyway but what did you expect for such a shitty scene?
>>
>>69374558
All the other paintings.
Dye residues.
>>
ITT: experts on medieval warfare

you know nothing, anon
>>
>>69376784
i'm with these fegs, the book dialogue is shit, of course they changed it
>>
>>69371103
>it wasnt canon it was just how ned remembered it
>ned randomly for some reason imagined that there was a third person fighting with them
>ned only dreamt that Arthur Dayne used a Greatsword called Dawn. he actually was Kirito and dual wielded.
>>
>>69376740
>But you are surely faster than with just one weapon.

And my point is, that very minor advantage is eclipsed by all the other disadvantages in wielding two individual weapons, that are inherently designed for single usage either with two hands or a shield. Which is why, historically, no one did it.

>>69376648

>(hyperbolic opinion, appeal to authority)
More pointing out that >hes just some youtuber, is a retarded, needlessly dismissive statement given hes actually researched the topic. Also, more on point, game of thrones is low fantasy. Realism, even in a universe with "bestest swordsmen everests" doesn't undo basic logic. The dual wielding was a silly choice for no reason other than spectacle by hack tv writers, even in a fantasy setting like GoT.

Anyway, this is all getting away from the original point "There is literally nothing wrong with dual wielding." There is. It's silly and even in "fantasy" makes no sense given human anatomy and the types of weapons used. If you want to dismiss it and "lol its just fantasy bro shut you're brain off and enjoy this popcorn flick" be my guest. But i prefer to scrutinize stupid shit when it rears its head.
>>
>>69376733
Suspension of disbelief hinges on immersion

I can immerse myself into magic and dragons, something I cant explain and just have to accept in a fantasy setting. I always just imagined dragons to be flying dinosaurs/reptiles who produced some sort of petroleum or combustive material that they could light and spew out. No biggy

I can't be immersed when we're seeing a human being awkwardly swings two swords around, it just shatters the suspension of disbelief.
>>
>>69377014

Also, when i say dual wielding i pretty much mean the dual usage of primarily one handed weapons. Dagger + Longsword and other forms of dual wielding did exist and makes sense given their usage. But twin axes, 2 longswords, double daggers and the like are as silly to me as dual wielding bows, shields and polearms.
>>
>>69372568
What are Lindy Beige's credentials?
>>
>>69376257
>GRRM's writing
>amazing dialogue
pick one
>>
>>69377086

Archaeology and Evolutionary Psychology degrees.

Everything else is just stuff he likes and such, but those first to basically inform all of his opinions on weapons, armor and history (of which he has alot).
>>
>>69371576
>The language is modernized.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that noticed it. Ever since S5, the language has felt really out of place for a medieval sort of setting.

When Tyrion had his outburst during his trial in Season 4, that was really great and powerful. If that were to happen now, it'd go something like

"I fucking hated your dickhead son, Cersei! Fuck him!"
>>
>>69377191
He's clueless re: archery. Probably used a few prop bows when larping and nothing else.

Most of his videos are baseless guesswork
>>
>>69374509
Just what she needs, another self-bestowed title to add to the list.
>>
>>69377530

Are you a modern bowyer or sports archer? Please explain.
>>
>>69375127
he was drunk and was easily beating john
>>
>>69376383
>0:45 onwards
holy fuck, this looks badass
>>
>>69368049
>Dorne was based on Moorish Spain when attitudes towards sex, religion and gender equity were more relaxed.

is this what multiculturalists teach about moors today? i know they try to present spain in that time as some kind tolerant paradise but this is to funny
>>
>>69376385
>biomechanics
we /travis haley/ now
>>
>>69376383
if D&D weren't jewish hollywood hacks they would hire guys like them to make the sword fighting scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln94E9AGYTc
>>
>>69379206
It was more tolerant than the rest of Europe though. It wasnt tolerant by today's standards. Not even close.
>>
>>69379469

They probably wouldn't since 90% of GoT is skirmishing not dueling.
>>
>>69379686
>They probably wouldn't since 90% of GoT is skirmishing not dueling.

I remember a fair amount of duels in GoT
>>
>>69379469
>>69379686

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8dII-NmjpA

>Jorah's move at 1:39
>remember how hype people were to see Barristan fight if Jorah has such a badass move
>no fight choreography since has looked even half decent

It sucks because it wasn't always like this. The move is extremely superfluous, but aesthetically it looks cool and makes Jorah seem like a bad ass.

This fight is literally 3 vs. way more than 7 and they still managed to portray it in a plausible manner with good fight choreography.

People need to stop defending this shit.
>>
>>69379800

I aint watched the show since season 4 so i really don't have any horse in this race, but my point is using modern day duelists who practice, what is effectively fencing with a greatsword, probably wouldn't be any better, or look any more realistic than the shit tier choreography they have now.
>>
>literally the ebst scene in 5 seasons
>MUUUUHHHHH BOOOOOOOKS

Get lost, fags. You only angry because the show will end and deliver the canon ending BEFORE you fucking trash books (who will never get finished).
>>
>>69373028
I don't get it. So backstabbing someone is dishonorable but 7v3 isn't?
>>
>>69380010

Well i mean, in the end you're the one enjoying mouthfuls of shit so. Okay.
>>
>>69364942
>based magic pale double-handed sword
>"let's give him 2 sword kek"
t-t-hank you
>>
>>69379475
you're literally brainwashed, seek help
and by help I suggest you actually read up on real muslim history and not what liberals and anti-white racists want you to believe so they can justify importing these shitskins infinitely
>>
>>69380010
They show will never be canon, it's literally impossible.
>>
>>69380169
indulge us, enlighten us then
>>
>>69364905
I really wanted to like it but FUCK

Seriously holy shit even I could deliver lines better than that.
>>
>>69372463
I bet you antagonize people on the Internet because you think it's funny. Stahp
>>
>>69380365
this.
>>
>>69379887
Most episodes are 90% dialogue and a little bit of fighting, the exceptions being the few that were about a particular big-ass battle (blackwater, castle black, probably something else I'm forgetting). Those fencing guys are cool to watch, but they are not actors so they could only be nameless warriors without lines. The actors that are pretending to be fighters aren't going to necessarily look great fighting with those fencers in the context of the story because in most cases the named characters are supposed to be far better at fighting than the unnamed characters. Also, If you really watch the main character fights are mostly about the facial expressions of the actors, not their movements. The guy that plays Bronn is one of the best examples of this, he always looks slightly scared and willing to do anything at any time when he's fighting. He's still confident, but never forgets that rule #1 is stay alive and fuck everything else, run or fight dirty if you have to. I don't think he ever does anything flashy combat wise, but he is really convincing as a lowborn mercenary who is wise to the bullshit of the chivalrous class. Another example is Jaime when he fights Brienne, he goes from smug asshole to oh fuck oh fuck she's winning fuck fuck fuck and you get that information more so from his face than from what the swords are doing. This is also why the sneks sucked so bad: they were not nearly as proficient as any of the other actors at pretending to fight AND they were shitty actors when they had to deliver dialogue. That is one role where they should have just gone to some martial arts gatherings and recruited some random brown girls who looked really good wielding weapons, footwork, etc. and just taught them how to say the lines. They couldn't have read any worse than the twats that they cast, and the snek fights would have been awesome. Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foaUrqvOTpw
>>
>>69380044
In theory, 7 vs 3 is considered a tactically fair fight. I forget what the rubric for judging it was, though. I guess it might simply be that three men will be optimally capable of taking care of eachother's blind spots during the row.
Think 1vs1, clearly, and 3vs2 also qualified as fair by the theory.
>>
File: sophisticated adults.jpg (29 KB, 255x233) Image search: [Google]
sophisticated adults.jpg
29 KB, 255x233
>>69376383
>>69379127
>>69379469

I'm no expert, but this looks like bullshit.

a) They finish the bout on touching, which is clearly insufficient to kill even without armor.
b) Many bouts seem to end with the loser 0.1s slower to the touch that the winner - you're probably both going down due to simple momentum.

This style seems the have exactly the same unrealistic properties as fencing, because it's a sport based on gaming the rules about how to win points.

I'd bet actual fighting uses similar strikes and tricks, but people would swing hard, and put a premium on avoiding the other person's sword before the kill.
>>
File: warhammer.jpg (35 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
warhammer.jpg
35 KB, 460x288
>>69380693
I was thinking this same thing but didn't feel like arguing with cosplayers about their sword fighting techniques. Medieval war could not possibly have had anything to do with who can tap the other one on the head first or leverage his sword in a particular direction when the guy you're fighting might be trying to cave your head in with something like this.
>>
>>69381051
Swords were sidearms, everyone had a polearm to get shit done. Sword schools were for dueling purposes.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.