[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you have to be a weirdo to be successful in the entertainment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
Do you have to be a weirdo to be successful in the entertainment industry?
Like being a actor, director, comedian, writer, musician ect.
>>
THIS IS GROUND CONTROL TO MAJOR TOM
>>
are you a fucking idiot?
>>
You don't have to be a weirdo. But you do have to spend hours and hours and hours alone, perfecting a hobby that might never pay off, with intense focus and an unwillingness to compromise quality even when it causes socially awkward situations with your collaborators/co-workers.

So it tends to be weirdos who actually follow through and make it. But the same is true in pretty much any career. The people who are actually having ideas and pushing things forward, tend to be a bit isolated and stuck in their heads when it comes to other people.
>>
>>69300163
it makes me wonder why there are so little high functioning autistic celebs, i can only think of Dan Aykroyd and the guy who created Pokemon.
>>
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/08/working-class-actors-disappearing-britain-class-privilege-access-posh
>>
File: kes.jpg (50 KB, 420x480) Image search: [Google]
kes.jpg
50 KB, 420x480
>>69300326
Why don't they make more films like these?
>>
>>69300272
Don't forget Quentin Tarantino
>>
>>69300326
The schools turning to shit is what's causing it. The teachers of today are terrible positive motivators.
>>
>>69300272

I think a LOT of artists could be diagnosed somewhere on the spectrum. They just either don't ever get diagnosed, or they don't share that information publicly. But can you really call it a "disorder," at that point, if they're doing much, much better than we are? Would you trade talent and vision and a successful career just so people would say "he's nicer and more polite in conversations now?"
>>
>>69300378
Because posh cunts don't care about us ;(
>>
>>69300272
>>69300406
And Roony Mara
>>
>>69300378

Would you pay to see it? Would you buy a ticket and sit your ass in the theater, or at least do one of those 4.99 rentals on Amazon or Google Play? I know you guys just shrug off piracy like it doesn't have an impact, but there really is NO MONEY AT ALL being made on feature films, except at the very highest studio level (capeshit and Disney). There are no more Sundance success stories like we had in the '90s, there's no new wave of auteurs receiving support and recognition, there's no modern Miramax. They really, really don't make money anymore. Indie directors usually spend their own money and go deeply into debt to make their debut film, and there's nothing waiting for them when it's done except debt collectors.
>>
>>69300581
I pay to see almost every movie I see, so yeah probably.
>>
>>69300648
>he pays to see movies
>>
>>69300441
Most people don't see talent and vision of autists when their growing up. All they see is a weirdo that will amount to nothing so they bully them. This ether makes them give up or they use it as motivation.
>>
>>69300163
can cosign, this guy knows his stuff.

>>69300272
you'd never really know with an artist/actor because it can be so utilized/well masked by their craft.
>>
>>69300967

I think that's one of the main problems with diagnosing a 7-year-old with a "psychiatric disorder" and pumping them full of drugs. Obviously there are some cases where it's needed, but there's a difference between "non-functional" and "difficult," and WAY too many parents and teachers are just trying to take the easy way.
>>
>>69299962
Bowie wasn't a weirdo, he just took on various persona's to deliver his music.
>>
>>69301849

I'm pretty sure Bowie would've happily called himself a weirdo, and he was one, and it's a big part of his appeal and influence
>>
>>69299962
You don't have to be nuts to work there but it helps.
>>
You just have to be marketable

Character or talent is irrelevant
>>
>>69299962
It's not necessarily being a "weirdo", but true artists (very few of the "succesful" people are this) do naturally have to have very low degrees of conformity. Sometimes this also manifests as being weird or even criminal.

I feel kind of bad about using Gesualdo because as it were, his reaction to being cuckolded was certainly in every way understandable and rational. But the eccentricities he developed after the fact I think really is indicative of that low-conforming personality.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.