[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled, what's your verdict on the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7
File: starwars_prequel_posters.jpg (290 KB, 1280x637) Image search: [Google]
starwars_prequel_posters.jpg
290 KB, 1280x637
Now that the dust has settled, what's your verdict on the prequels?

Dogshit or horribly misunderstood?

How do they rank amongst the other films?
>>
>>69290198
prequels > OT > TFA
>>
They're objectively poorly made films and the only people who pretend otherwise are contrarian memers
>>
>>69290241
Wot about Christmas special m8
>>
>>69290265
from my point of view you are the contrarian memer
>>
>>69290198
misunderstood dogshit
>>
>>69290241
yes in shitiness
>>
They have redeeming qualities but the best of the bunch (the third) is watchable at best.
>>

gap

HUGE POWER GAP

>>
>>69290807
TFA is objectively better than RotJ

RotJ just gets held up on a pedestal because of association with the first two movies. It's pretty shit on its own, only good stuff is the space battle and throne room.
>>
Lucas wanted to get rid of The Force from the original Star Wars script. The director had to threaten to quit to get him to keep it in.

Lucas has some great big ideas but letting him have total control over scripts, directing, story or dialogue is disaster.
>>
For all the their faults, the prequels were still original. They had a spark of something unique in them.

Force Awakens was normie-friendly rehash of new hope. It had the same bland atmosphere as the star trek reboots- just generic sci-fi action with the accoutrements of the franchise.
>>
>>69290853
No it's not.
>>
File: onlycorrect.jpg (316 KB, 1191x1127) Image search: [Google]
onlycorrect.jpg
316 KB, 1191x1127
>>
>>69290198
RLM has a good summary of the value of the prequels, which I happen to agree with.
>>
>>69290961
>the prequels were still original.

>C3PO shoved in for no reason
>R2D2 back for no reason
>Phantom Menace ends on a staircase celebrating a Skywalker blowing up a space station with proton torpedoes
>dude Jango Fett is also a bounty hunter lmao
>Clones are a ripoff of storm troopers
>dude Baby Boba Fett lmao
>Republic ships are a ripoff of Imperial Star destroyers
>Naboo is earth
>Death Star plans in Attack of the Clones
>All Jedi wear Tatooine farmer robes
>Corisant is a ripoff of the city from Blade Runner
>dude Genonisis is Tatooine with rocks lmao
>dude Kamino is just Cloud City with water instead of clouds lmao
>original
>>
>>69291037
if you find those nods to the original trilogy to be unoriginal, what must you think of TFA, that not only had the original cast, original aesthetics and also the EXACT same plot?
>>
>>69290858
But Lucas was the director for the original Star Wars movie
>>
>>69291080
I despise TFA just as much as the PT
>>
>>69291080
TFA used the callbacks to the original trilogy to tell a story about how the previous generation influences the new, literally all of the characters are motivated by the expectations and legacy of the original cast. I guess Kylo Ren trying his damnedest to be like Vader and Rey living in an actual graveyard of the Galactic Civil War was just memes and had no actual meaning, right? Prequels just ripped shit off from the OT where it didn't make sense because DUDE REMEMBER THAT LMAO

TFA is only ANH in very broad strokes, and after the shittiness of the prequels I don't mind JJ's decision to go back to move forward.
>>
Prequels a shit.
>>
>>69290635
this
>>
>>69290198
For some reason Attack of the clones is an 8/10 movie for me.

No idea why but I just love everything in it (apart from the padme and anakin dialogue).

It just has kind of a Lynchian weird vibe to it.

The prequels too are basically Shakespearean plays hence why many normies do not understand them.
>>
It's a glorious clusterfuck. I enjoyed it more than TFA because of all the memes. TFA is bland shit compared to PT.
>>
>>69290961
This. I will always rate the prequels higher than Force Awakens due to its pure originality, having an entire different mood set, different dialogue even though it was wonky at times.

Lucas had no issues with doing things that he had never done in the OT, taking us to so many different planets and worlds.

Force Awakens was a complete copy of ANH, even sticking with only 1 planet (Jakku) and a death star and that Maz planet that wasnt that interesting.

I am happy the director of Episode 8 is a big prequels fan so we will finally be saved.
>>
>>69291737
>"At least you were right about one thing master. The Negotiations were short."
I loved this type of dialogue in the prequels and there needed to be more of it.
>>
>>69291741
>Lucas had no issues with doing things that he had never done in the OT, taking us to so many different planets and worlds.

You know the OT is just a ripoff of Flash Gordon, Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress and World War II fighter ace movies?

This "it's only good if it's original" meme needs to stop, especially when it's been proven time and again that Star Wars, especially not the prequels, was ever really original
>>
I had some problems with TFA:

The first order is (supposed to be) the underdog now, as the Republic also exists. However, there is also a resistance to the empire. Are these people independent of the republic? This is very unclear in the film compared to the very straightforward Empire vs. Rebellion.

How was Rey able to survive since she was 5 or something on not-Tatooine? Luke had his family (and Kenobi), she had nothing as far as I could tell.
>>
>>69291782
The prequels are original mate.

>podracing
>Naboo
>Gungans and their home world
>General Grevious - wow a droid who can use lightsabers!
All of this was 100% original and is what makes the prequels so special.
>>
>>69291782
Ripping off lots of things is better than ripping off one.

Plus you have no fucking clue what you're talking about. The only people who mention Hidden Fortress are people who haven't seen it. You're just parroting shit. You asshole.
>>
>>69291826
>The first order is (supposed to be) the underdog now, as the Republic also exists. However, there is also a resistance to the empire. Are these people independent of the republic? This is very unclear in the film compared to the very straightforward Empire vs. Rebellion.

The Resistance is a private military force that some members of the Senate fund under the table to get around the Republic's official policy of neutrality towards the First Order

this is explained in the movie, but they didn't dwell on it since Star Wars isn't about politics
>>
>>69291782
>You know the OT is just a ripoff of Flash Gordon, Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress and World War II fighter ace movies?
>ripoff
That's called influence my retarded friend.
>>
>>69290198
Dogshit made with a lot of creativity and heart, but still dogshit nonetheless
>>
>>69291887
>Republic's official policy of neutrality towards the First Order

Why is that even a thing?
>>
>>69291826
Rey wasnt alone at age 5 cos someone is holding her arm when Luke takes off leaving her.

Looks like this guy must have died when she was like 12 or so and then continued living by herself.

I am pissed tho that TFA never makes it clear what character is the movie being told thru?

Obviously not Rey because if we were meant to see the world thru her eyes, we should be told exactly everything of her childhood and know her from inside and out just like we did with Luke in ANH (lives with those caretakers) but with Rey we have no idea how she grew up herself and who that guy grabbing her arm was.

This is why TFA is the worst edited movie I have ever seen in my life.

No clear indication on how she knew the force and how to do mind tricks.

If JJ had directed a scene, showing her reading a Jedi book THEN we would all assume thats how she was able to know everything and beat a Sith lord.

BUT JJ is such a hack for not including any scene like this.. he even fucking left out the deleted scene where she is on a plane simulator showing how she was able to later fly the falcon.

JJ is such a fucking hack!
>>
>>69291961
>Why is that even a thing?

Because there was a huge war that killed billions 30 years before and the Republic didn't want to start another war, especially when they thought the First Order was just some crazy group of fanatics on the fringes of space with no real power

you know, kind of like how Britain and France kowtowed to Hitler because they had just fought a devastating war 20 years prior and figured he'd be satisfied if they let him have the Sudetenland
>>
>>69292018
>Rey should read a book on force powers to justify her knowing a mind trick at the end

HAHAHAHA WHAT A FAG, I'm glad you people don't write movies, you're retarded (as is obvious cuz you're all defending the prequels lmao)

Also, guy holding her arm is clearly portion guy. I was on drugs when I saw the movie and this was obvious.
>>
>>69292201
What else how u expect audience to know how she knew how to use the force and mind tricks u lik faggot?
>>
>>69290198

I was decent

II was shit

III was great.

Plenty of memes and action to be enjoyed from them.
>>
The original trilogy is made by an aspiring creative filmmaker

The prequel trilogy is made by a burnt out coke addict shekel grabber

TFA is made by cynical businessmans

TFA and the prequel trilogy is pretty much the same shit...shameless shekel grabbing
>>
>>69290198

Prequels > OT > TFA
>>
>>69292261
Most people don't require autistic justifications for shit like that, especially when the Force has always been a mystical concept that functioned on belief

Rey had obviously heard stories about the Jedi and their abilities, as she knows who Luke and the Jedi are before she meets Finn and Han (but she thinks they're a myth) and once she learns she has the power from Maz she grows more powerful when she believes in it more

I'm sorry the phantom menace taught you that you needed 20,000 midichlorians and 20 years of Yoda school to be a Jedi
>>
>>69292347
>The original trilogy is made by an aspiring creative filmmaker

George Lucas was a fucking dumbass and you're showing how little you actually know about the production of the OT if you think he had anything to do with its greatness despite getting the ball rolling with the basic idea.

He was already a shekel grabber by RotJ
>>
>>69292393
he had to do it since FOX didn't had faith in the series
>>
>>69291657
there is actually one good padmakin scene:
>>
>>69292366
The original trilogy established mastering those powers took years of training. It cheapens magic if it's something you can just do on a whim.
>>
>>69291887
>since Star Wars isn't about politics

well, it may not always have been, but sw politics is super canon. it feels very childish to try to convey political drama in the prequels, and then go completely back on it in ep7.
>>
File: WE WUZ JEDI AND SHIT.png (379 KB, 801x500) Image search: [Google]
WE WUZ JEDI AND SHIT.png
379 KB, 801x500
1. Episode V
2. Episode III
3. Episode IV
4. Episode I
5. Episode II and Episode VI
6. Dogshit
15. Lego Star Wars
28.Episode VII

Anyone who thinks the prequels are bad are just ADHD spergs who don't have the attention span for plot development.
Probably loved TFA because it was just a light show with muh culturally enriched characters.
>>
>>69292582
>III over IV

off yourself please
>>
>>69292522
>The original trilogy established mastering those powers took years of training

Bullshit, Luke had 3 weeks of training tops, and if you think Rey beating Kylo Ren is a sign of mastery you weren't watching the movie and you don't understand the character of Kylo Ren.

>>69292534
>it feels very childish to try to convey political drama in the prequels, and then go completely back on it in ep7.

Yeah god forbid they try to make a Star Wars movie that people like instead of adhering to the conventions established by the universally reviled prequels
>>
>>69291246
Would have been sweet if Luke had some cool adventures instead of sitting on a rock in an ocean waiting for Mary Sue to bring the plot to him for 30 fucking years.
>>
>>69292616
>my favorite mission is the first mission
please off yourself

just because it started the series doesn't make it good

It had a shit budget, the final battle and the entire end of the film has nothing to do with light saber combat and it created the garbage spawn of repeat death star movies
>>
>>69292746
>Would have been sweet if Luke had some cool adventures

He WAS on an adventure. He was off looking for the First Jedi Temple, which no one knew where it was. It's not like he just flew straight to that planet and sat on his ass for years.

I would stake money that this temple holds some kind of secret that can help combat the First Order and Snoke, and that's why he left
>>
>>69292450
The scene when they hug before Anakin takes off on the scooter thing is good too
>>
>>69292750
>shit budget
>NOT ENOUGH LIGHTSABERS

jesus, are you underage?
>>
>>69292616
Episode 4 is so boring compared to 3
>Muh death star

And that end battle with how easy it is to destroy the death star is so piss weak. Worst writing that Lucas had done in the whole series.
>>
>>69292750
New Hope is a great movie that stands on it's own
It's pretty much the best of the entire series

>has nothing to do with light saber combat
fuck off you underage /v/edditor scum

3 is pile of shit that only looks good compared to AotC
>>
>>69292868
yeah I know that feel dude

4 severely lacks of explosions and cgi flips

it's really boring xD
>>
File: iwata.png (208 KB, 361x691) Image search: [Google]
iwata.png
208 KB, 361x691
>>69292868
>Worst writing that Lucas had done in the whole series.

No, I think most would agree some of his worst writing would include

>FROM MY POINT OF VIEW, THE JEDI ARE EVIL!
>ANI, YOU'RE BREAKING MY HEART!
>NOT IF ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IT, I HAVE!
>where is padme? Is she safe, is she alright? and NOOOOOOOOOOOOO etc

I would bet you're under the age of 20 and/or have a double digit IQ
>>
>>69292582
>Anyone who thinks the prequels are bad are just ADHD spergs who don't have the attention span for plot development.
>Probably loved TFA because it was just a light show with muh culturally enriched characters.

I agree with this but your ordering is wrong. It should be:

1. Episode I
2. Episode IV
3. Episode V
4. Episode VI
5. Episode II
30. Episode III (muh cash in muh four lightsabers robot man, and gratuitous 30 seconds of Darth Vader LMAO)
>>
>>69293040
Oh yeah and VII doesn't get ranked because it's so bad.
>>
5 > 4 > 6

(I didn't rank non-canon movies)
>>
>>69290198
TPM is okayish, AotC is /v/ cancer, RotS is a downright rape of the OT.
>>
>>69290198
Plebs don't get it.
But OT is better anyway.
There's too much dust on TFA yet.
>>
>>69293139
This summs up nicely
>>
Star Wars is shit.

Recently saw the "original trilogy" and god was it lousy. First movie is just so slow and boring. It's full of bullshit that doesn't matter. "Oh no sandpeople attack Luke and then he's saved a minute later." Gee, how tense. The trench run is a cluster fuck of models crashing in to other models. Shit looks cheap as fuck. Oh, and the fight between Ben and Vader was a fucking joke. I was fucking laughing at Ben's geriatric ass.

With the next one, they manage to do even less. The whole story can be summed up in a single sentence: the heroes run from bad guys, split up, then get caught and bad shit happens to them. Fucking dumb. Yoda looks like a shitty Kermit and him "training" Luke is fucking dumb, it's just rock lifting and fortune cookie sayings. But the worst part is the fucking twist. "Oh, I'm your dad." What shit writing.

Third one they just throw everything out there. Death Star 2.0! Teddy bears! Bikini girls!

Not going to bother with the other films because if the original trilogy is supposed to be the "best" then fuck it.
>>
File: w4imVUK.jpg (115 KB, 1024x1820) Image search: [Google]
w4imVUK.jpg
115 KB, 1024x1820
>unironically liking the prequels
>>
>>69293248
how have you not seen star wars before?
>>
>>69293294
I just said I saw it and then described the movies. Learn to read, dipshit.
>>
File: 1447881882714.png (17 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1447881882714.png
17 KB, 625x626
>>69293248
Nice Pasta
>>
>>69293357
You don't know what "pasta" means, do you?
>>
>>69293351
I meant how had you not seen it up until this point, you literal autist. They're extremely popular children's movies.
>>
>>69293417
By not watching it.

It's not hard. It actually takes less effort to watch something than it does to watch something.
>>
>>69293461
>less effort to watch something
*less effort to not watch something
>>
>>69293517
are you from /r/starwars ?
>>
>>69290198
The prequels weren't good. The acting was cringy at times and there was way too much cgi used instead of practical effects. But at least they were their own story. TFA was basically a rehash of a New Hope which was bullshit. Lucas may have made 3 horrible prequels but at least he tried to incorporate new ideas.
>>
4>5>6>7>2>1>3
>>
I think they are dogshit but I don't care about star wars
>>
>>69290198
nice premise, shit execution
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.