[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bowling for Columbine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2
File: bowling-for-columbine.jpg (215 KB, 1469x1112) Image search: [Google]
bowling-for-columbine.jpg
215 KB, 1469x1112
I recently watched Bowling for Columbine and I can see why people criticize it a lot.

What did you think of it?
>>
Heston should have shot him as soon as he walked onto his property. Manson is a good guy
>>
>>69207389

Dude its 4chan. The majority of responses are going to be "burn in hell fat Jew libtard".
>>
>>69207460
Could still get some valid criticism. Like on his interviewing techniques. I personally think pressuring them for answers and filming them saying they don't want to answer and such brings the quality of the film down by a lot.
>>
>>69207389

As documentaries Moore's movies are pretty terrible. He is responsible for a terrible trend of documentarians becoming the actual subject of their films. His presence is so overwhelming in the movie that it just feels like watching a vlog. It's sloppily put together and the argument is based on little but sweeping generalizations.

That being said, the film is entertaining. It's entertaining trash.

You should read the book Columbine by Dave Cullen instead.
>>
>>69208213

Why? That is EXACTLY what a good interviewer does. That's like...the foundation of quality journalism.
>>
>>69208270

>sweeping generalizations

...they spend half the film throwing stats at you.
>>
the Manson interview is the only thing I remember.
>>
>>69208352

>open 2 doors in Canada
>nobody in Canada locks their doors!
>interview stoners in the parking lot of a McDonald's
>"Canadians just aren't violent"
>conclusion - Canadians aren't violent!

yes I was truly amazed by the seriousness of his arguments
>>
>>69207460
It didn't used to be like this. 4chan used to be relatively left wing under Bush. But 15 year olds are contrarian for the sake of contrarianism
>>
>>69208430
The only actual conclusion he came to in the whole movie was that the NRA were insensitive. By the end of it, he still couldn't figure out why the US is so violent
>>
>>69208430

Thats roughly two minutes of the film and he provides stats to back up how less violent crime there is in Canada compared to the US which was his point.
>>
It aged like fucking shit
>>
>>69208445
pfft
>>
>>69208213
Are you fucking serious you faggot?
>>
>>69208637

it doesn't matter. he includes those scenes in his film along with a cartoon, home movies of him growing up with a rifle (how relevant), a hilariously terrible montage set to ironically unfitting music (whoa the dissonance is so deep), and then a huge focus on celebrities who have been negligent about certain moments of violence.

Basically the entire point of the movie is to say "why is America so violent" without offering any kind of idea as to why this is the case. He seems to think that he's offering reasons though. Anyway the whole movie is juvenile as fuck. It's entertaining but it is the farthest thing away from what a documentary should be. Once you start showing your own home movies in a "documentary" you should call it a day. Moore is responsible for horseshit like Supersize Me.
>>
>>69208296
The way he does it just makes you angry at him. He almost never gets good answers and the only thing he's after is pressuring them into saying something they they have not thought through by repeating the question lots of times and never giving the person he's interviewing any time to think of an answer. Of course people are gonna say stupid shit.

If he had let them answer without pressuring them as much I think we would get more genuine answers that actually say something about the person being interviewed.
>>
>>69207460
Your new is showing
>>
>>69208637
And he never adresses the little fact that if you took out black on black crime from those statistics the US would be less violent than canada.

This whole film is worthless.
>>
Look if you come at Moore's films like he is some objective journalist you're gonna hate them.

But if you understand that he is a documentarian with a specific agenda, you realize he winds these tales very skillfully, he finds good, hot-button stories, gets interesting interviews, and ultimately draws a ton of attention to things Americans like to ignore. or dismiss.

You know, like how many fucking people kill each other with guns here.
>>
>>69208830
>people
Niggers, senpai. Niggers.
>>
I'm actually genuinely impressed that discussion hasn't devolved yet. Maybe their is hope after all for this godforsaken board
>>69208734
>>69208213
I don't think you know how dumb you sound. Asking hard questions and getting uncomfortable off-the-cuff answers is what any investigative journalists wants to do.
>>
>>69208716
This is good criticism and exactly what I was looking for. He himself and his opinions become the main part of the film, instead of the subject, the facts and the people interviewed.

His arguments hold no weight and I have a hard time believing he could have made this to actually educate people on the violence issue in America. It has to have been made for entertainment only.
>>
It is universally accepted that the only valuable part of Bowling F. Columbine is the bit where Marilyn Manson spoke.
>>
>>69207389
I fucking hate this fat fuck.
>>
>>69208858
Welp you were one post to late breh

>>69208845
>>69208845
>>69208845
>>
>>69208858
But it adds nothing of value.

>hey see this little girl? she was murdered by a gun. do you feel responsible? huh? do you feel responsible? pls respond. do you feel responsible? do you feel like shit?

Explain to me how this is good journalism and how we get anything of value from an answer to this repeated question.
>>
>>69208830
no he takes an issue (gun violence) and tries to make it about something unrelated (gun culture) while all the statistics show that the problem isnt shotguns, rednecks and the NRA its drug-dealing, gangbangers and glocks.

Its pure propaganda meant to deceive not inform.
>>
>>69208875
Yeah, he seems like a very smart guy and his part is one of the only parts worth watching. I think the part with Trey Parker is also pretty good, but he doesn't really touch on the same heavy subjects as Manson.
>>
It had some interesting points about gun culture and post-Columbine atmosphere. But largely the movie was inconsistent as shit. Moore suddenly jumps on how blacks are oppressed and then to the air pollution of LA. Also Moore is slimey, manipulative asshole and that final scene with the photo was cringe to the max.
>>
>>69208763
BOWLING FOR BEHAVE
>>
>>69209009
And what the fuck was the part about all of K-marts ammo? That made no sense and he didn't have to do that.

Also, showing rednecks with guns is pretty unrelated to the gun violence issue. It's not rednecks shooting up schools or shooting people on the streets.
>>
File: ZArMadp.jpg (15 KB, 148x256) Image search: [Google]
ZArMadp.jpg
15 KB, 148x256
Was okay but that little cartoon about Americans wanting guns because they're scared of everyone was just liberal trash.

I'm British and I know any non-American watching it would eat that shit up when it isn't really true.

I hate over-simplifying histoty with cartoons like that
>>
>>69208945

How the fuck are gangbangers not a part of the gun culture?
>>
>>69209942
because they are part of gang culture and exist in countries without gun culture as well.

Those guys dont buy their pistols at gun-shows and they arent NRA members either.
>>
>>69209840
I'm european and I don't eat that shit up. Only idiots who never read anything but tabloids and Huffington post would believe that. It's not like people from Europe know nothing about America or it's problems.
>>
>>69210128

Why do you need to buy a gun legally to be a part of gun culture? They buy, use, trade, and train with them. They're a part of gun culture, sorry bud.
>>
>>69208445
but newfag 4chan has always been le /pol/ hugbox xDDD dem lefties right haha
>>
>>69210337
The point is that these people would buy and shoot guns regardless of if a gun culture existed or not. Therefore they are independent of gun culture and not part of it.
>>
>>69209840
The bigger your media the stupider you will look abroad.
Case and point, TV liscences. Americans (and laughably fellow euros) see stupid videos and think that the UK is some sort of hellhole when every western european country has a tv fee and they aren't optional.

With smaller countries without such a well developed media and social presence you don't get these outbreaks nearly as much.
>>
>>69210363
This is the epitome of a reddit poster.
This type of shitpost will get you points on reddit but despite what you might think from memes, we don't actually talk like circlejerk.
>>
>>69210405
>case and point
I want to rip you up for this even though mistakes like it are a diamond dozen. But you know it's a doggy dog world out there.
>>
>>69210337
thats not what "gun culture" means
>>
>>69210508
sorry my friend. I will tow the line better next time. For all intensive purposes ignore it.
Irregardless my point still stands.
>>
>>69210478
>/pol/
>not a circlejerk

I'm talking of the annoying part of /pol/, that who loves shitting up other boards
>>
He's like the incarnation of every single stereotype about the leftist fat SJW neckebeard.
Exept that he doesn't wear a fedora, and he isnt actually a NEET as most of them are
>>
>>69210603
I'm not talking about a circle jerk but about the circlejerk you visit on reddit.

Only a true newfag thinks ironic shitposting is common and accepted on 4chan.
>>
>>69208270
"Entertaining Trash" is the perfect description.

I'm a dirty lib, and even I know it's a shitty documentary. Entertaining, but that's it.
>>
>>69210679
>can't even operate on multiple layers of irony
>>
Moore makes interesting points, but falls into a number of Straw Man arguments and other fallacies, as well effectively ambushes an old man in his home (not really proving anything in the process).

But it's a good film, it's well made, and if your only response can be "SJW", "Fat", "Libtard", or some other attack, you're an anti-intellectual.
>>
What is with "not putting the locks because there is few crime" meme? You can actually be one of the few victims of a crime and putting the lock doesn't take much effort. Besides, it helps you preserve your privacy from people that don't knock the fucking door.
>>
>>69210863
What interesting points does he make? He just states that America is more violent than other countries and tries to figure out some reasons without really finding any.
>>
>>69210984
Do people actually lock their doors when they are at home? I understand if it's in a big city or an apartment building but not in the suburbs. I don't know anyone that does that. I live in Sweden.
>>
>>69210392

Your qualifications for gun culture are arbitrary as fuck. You just don't want to admit they're a part of the culture. They are. They even create art about guns (rap) which if you look up the definition of the word culture is one of the first things mentioned. Just because you aren't in the NRA or go to gun shows doesn't mean you aren't a part of the culture.
>>
>>69211040

I live in an area with high crime but I don't put the locks. But when people selling things on the street or friends are outside I lock it because some of them don't knock the fucking door. Does everybody knocks the door in Sweden?
>>
>>69211064
People in my country do that shit too, and we have 0 gun culture. It's just criminals trying to be cool in whatever way they can. Doesn't mean they are part of some nation wide gun culture.
>>
>>69211121
Uh yeah. If someone wants to get in, even if they know it's unlocked, they knock the door or ring the bell. Except for burglars I guess. People in general would probably be pretty mad at someone if they just opened the door and came in without knocking if it's not a family member or something.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.