[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did you guys think? First time in a decade I've been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: witch-trailer-pic.jpg (154 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
witch-trailer-pic.jpg
154 KB, 1080x720
What did you guys think?

First time in a decade I've been immersed in a horror movie and actually anxious.
>>
I liked the atmosphere, also very good actors.
Tomasin was quite a hawtie, too bad there was no incest with her brother. I was hoping for it.
>>
>>69200985
It was a nicely made movie and the historical authenticity was neat.

But it didnt do it for me in terms of horror or disturbing vibe.

Felt like an unfortunate sequence of events that failed to grip me or build up a greater terror.
>>
>>69201160
>But it didnt do it for me in terms of horror
I think it depends on the viewer. I actually lol out loud at things like cheap gore and jump scares, but the last 30 minutes of The Witch had me in goosebumps the whole time.

Watching characters fall apart around the horror elements and struggle to deal with them is what makes a stronger horror movie in my mind. It's why The Thing and Alien will always be the best.
>>
I enjoyed it and appreciated the general tone but after it was done I had sorta forgot it. Nothing really stuck with me.
>>
>>69201202
I think they almost played it a little safe. The movie didnt do enough with the impending sense of doom like Blair Witch Project.

Life went back to normal, or itd be a slightly paranoid discussion but theyd generally be fine.

The ending was when shit got real but by then everyone started dropping like flies and I didnt get to enjoy the disturbing atmosphere before it was all over.

Really needed more scenes with the old witch just out of shot or being creepy. The rabbit didnt do it for me.
>>
>>69201469
>Really needed more scenes with the old witch just out of shot or being creepy.
I'm going to disagree with you, senpai. The more you see of the monster the less threatening it is.

Part of why the witch was so spooky and the movie was so tense was because we didn't know what the fuck she was capable of. Don't tell me you weren't spooked at the barn scene.

>The rabbit didnt do it for me
Agreed, rabbit didn't do anything for me either. However, Black Philip was spoopy as fuck.
>>
>>69201469
>>69201535
I found the rabbit creepy as fuck, Black Phillip more menacing and charismatic than spooky
which made sense that he was this kind of alluring and unnerving force
>>
>colour grading
>>
>>69201655
>colour grading
It's been a standard for the past 20 years. Why are you complaining?
>>
>>69201535
It was just weird with the pacing idk.

They gave us a full on shot of the witch 5 minutes into the movie so there was no buildup to her, then we never saw her final form till the barn scene.

Im guessing the intention is that knowing how fucked up witch imagery, each time the rabbit came on screen i was supposed to see her and freak out. But that didnt work for me for whatever reason. The rabbit remained non-threatening and the middle chunk of the movie felt tame.
>>
>>69201767
>They gave us a full on shot of the witch 5 minutes into the movie
I feel like they did that to establish that there is a real witch and there is a real threat.

If it wasn't for the shot of her grinding up the babythe movie would have just been about crazy paranoid Puritans and not paranoid doomed Puritans.
>>
5 things: Nicely made, interesting premise, fuckable main girl, good music, not scary
>>
>>69201805
>not scary
Neither is The Thing, but it's hailed as the best horror movie ever in most circles.

If a horror movie is even suspensful it's great in my opinion.
>>
Honestly it looks like a shitty TV film.
>>
It's score on IMDB is very accurate, it's a 7/10 flick.

It does a lot of things right, but ultimately it has a fairly weak plot and the "horror" aspect wasn't really there.
>>
>>69201874
If this was as good as the thing it would be one of my favorites for sure.

What the Thing does right is that the threat and fucked up shit builds throughout the movie.

In the Witch, the horror element meanders and teases, blowing its load in the end having never really started fucking.
>>
>>69201874
You should check out Resolution
>>
>>69200985
Is this actually good or is it decent-tier like The Conjuring?
>>
Shut the fuck up about this film. It's about as interesting as sand with no payoff
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.