[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you go from a masterpiece like The Tree of Life, to a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 27
File: 12325324645457.jpg (693 KB, 1280x1810) Image search: [Google]
12325324645457.jpg
693 KB, 1280x1810
How do you go from a masterpiece like The Tree of Life, to a literal piece of shit like this?

To The Wonder was bad, but it wasn't downright shit. Will he continue to decline until he finally retires?
>>
> In 2004, during the filming of The New World, director Terrence Malick forced Plummer to climb a tall oak tree. The task was very difficult for Plummer, who was 74 at the time, and took three unsuccessful attempts before Malick was satisfied with his performance. This footage was not used in the final film.
>>
>>69183100
Lmao wtf
>>
>>69182436
>Will he continue to decline until he finally retires?

Shit like this is why Based Quentin has vowed to retire when he turns 60. Most directors, even really great ones, just don't know when to quit and literally turn into cinematic bedshitters in front of our eyes.
>>
He was always a pretentious faggot.
>>
File: oh it shows.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
oh it shows.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>69183642
>Based Quentin
>>
File: Pilgrim's Progress.jpg (2 MB, 2249x1893) Image search: [Google]
Pilgrim's Progress.jpg
2 MB, 2249x1893
>ITT: atheists
>>
>ywn roam around the city of angels all day and find qts to mess around with
>>
File: yes.webm (3 MB, 940x397) Image search: [Google]
yes.webm
3 MB, 940x397
this should have been the whole movie desu
>>
>>69183100
He's a dick
>>
File: 1459459443381.jpg (3 MB, 1348x5534) Image search: [Google]
1459459443381.jpg
3 MB, 1348x5534
Knight of Cups continues Malick's recent trend of shedding extraneous plot and narrative to focus on emotions, thoughts and memories brought forward in his trademark fragmented visual and aural style. It, like his other films, is about age old universal themes, in this case the quest for enlightenment and the paradox of beauty. The sermon in the movie says that our now imperfect soul gets a taste of the higher existence it once knew whenever it is confronted with beauty, and so Rick immerses himself in all the beautiful sensual pleasures in the modern Babylon of LA. He is quite literally submerged all the time in ephemeral worldly pleasures, yet he still finds his life empty and devoid of any higher purpose and like his soul longing for transcendental gratification, he is always by the end again quite literally looking upwards to the heavens for a higher meaning. The movie is an impressionistic retelling of his search for God, the Wonder, nirvana, call it whatever - any metaphysical peak that will give his hollow life meaning. But at the end he realizes that the journey itself is the answer to his existential quest, not the means, and the nourishment for the shadow of perfection his anguished soul seeks.
Knight of Cups is not just any "story" movie, but a sweeping visual symphony of the search for spirituality in an increasingly materialist world.
>>
>>69182436
You'll understand in time, my son.
>>
File: reeves-11111.jpg (129 KB, 1200x797) Image search: [Google]
reeves-11111.jpg
129 KB, 1200x797
>>69187557
On my second watch I would read about each card before proceeding to the next segment. Highly recommended.
>>
>>69182436
malick always were a hack.

pocahontas, and a lesser measure tree of life, were inexplicable flukes.
>>
TToL>TTRL>DoH>TNW>Badlands>KoC>TTW
>>
>>69185117
Yes, yes, Pilgrims Progress. Oh so deep.

Everyone here reads it before they're 16. It's not a big deal.
>>
File: ttol.jpg (825 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
ttol.jpg
825 KB, 1920x1040
There are two ways through life, the way of Nature and the way of Grace. You have to choose which one you'll follow.

Grace doesn't try to please itself. Accepts being slighted, forgotten, disliked. Accepts insults and injuries.

Nature only wants to please itself. Get others to please it too. Likes to lord it over them. To have its own way. It finds reasons to be unhappy when all the world is shining around it. And love is smiling through all things.
>>
>>69187859
Badlands before TNW and we got a solid list here.
>>
>>69187888
How old do you have to be to read Tale of the Western Exile?
>>
>>69187898
This is actually saying something unlike KoC.

It ain't just 'bro like dude wow man cards dude wow SUNSET IN THE DESERT wow so decadent and meaningless wow he's not unfulfilled dude'. Christ this flick was boring as fuck.
>>
>>69187978
>I want dialogue to tell me what a movie's message is
>>
>>69187948
cringed desu
>>
File: tips fedora.jpg (393 KB, 600x775) Image search: [Google]
tips fedora.jpg
393 KB, 600x775
>>69188011
>cringed desu
>>
>>69188008
I want actual intelligible dialogue, not just meaningless talk about nothing.
>>
>>69188064
>I want characters to tell me everything, fuck thinking for myself
>>
>Most of Adrien Brody's scenes were cut from the film without his consent and he wasn't aware of these changes until he saw the film at the premiere. Brody came to the premiere expecting to see himself as the lead character and was shocked when he saw that he was barely featured in the film.

>Adrien Brody, of course, is still in "The Thin Red Line," but his role was not the lead he expected, performed and read in the script and the book on which the script was based. Malick found his attention wandering from Brody's character in the edit and focusing instead on Jim Caviezel's, to the detriment of the former's screen time. We should remember that, significantly, this was Brody pre-"The Pianist" and it's clear he expected his role here to be his big break. In fact, he mentioned in a 2001 Independent interview (text here) that: "The pressure on that film was that I had to carry the movie with a cast of stars that I truly admired -- Nick Nolte and Sean Penn in particular. You hear horror stories about Sean Penn, that he can be a real bastard if he doesn't admire your work."

>But after a grueling 6-month shoot in "a filthy costume which they wouldn't wash," only disappointment awaited. Again a sense of betrayal comes through: "I was so focused and professional, I gave everything to it, and then to not receive everything...in terms of witnessing my own work. It was extremely unpleasant because I'd already begun the press for a film that I wasn't really in. Terry obviously changed the entire concept of the film. I had never experienced anything like that..." He went on to suggest that Malick's own status as a filmmaker may be rather inflated: "You know the expression 'Don't believe the hype'? Well, you shouldn't."
>>
>>69187978
>see something good from ttol
>use it to complain about koc
>finding a reason to be unhappy when all the world is shining around it. And love is smiling through all things.
>>
>>69188120
>if we show and tell nothing then it means it's a deep movie!

It's the most boring Calvin Klein commercial I have ever seen.
>>
>>
This was way better than The Tree of Life. Malick's best since The Thin Red Line.
>>
>>69188169
>It's the most boring Calvin Klein commercial I have ever seen.
See, you don't even have an original thought in your shitposts.
>>
>>69188204
>all these contrarians

Why do you have to pretend to like things? Having actual opinions is an option you know.
>>
>>69188235
>sure, you can have opinions!
>but don't disagree with Rotten Tomatoes
>>
>>69188228
Doesn't mean it's not true.

Also it's not like you're posting these great original posts.

>you don't get it
>it's vague because it doesn't spell things out!
>it's 2 deep 4 u

etc.
>>
>>69188298
>Also it's not like you're posting these great original posts.
I wrote this >>69187557
>>
>>69188287
>sure you can have opinions
>but never EVER agree with the common consensus
>>
>>69188337
>you can have opinions but you must ALWAYS agree with consensus
>>
>>69188324
>original

That copy pasta has been reposed a billion times, and it ain't even yours.

Are you unaware of what the word original means?
>>
>>69188141
That's a shitty thing to do. I understand that maybe his vision changed, but to not even TELL Brody? What an asshole.
>>
>>69188391
I wrote the original pasta. If you still don't understand the movie all you have to do is ask.
>>
>>69188366
>I will repost the same thing again!
>>
>>69188426
>irony
>>
>>69182436
Terrence Malick is a hack
>>
>>69188413
Why is it so boring and pointless?

Why is it so pretentious?

Why does nothing happen?

Why is the acting so bad?

What's the point all the unintelligible whispering?

We can start with these I guess.
>>
File: 1410011684136.jpg (7 KB, 216x250) Image search: [Google]
1410011684136.jpg
7 KB, 216x250
>tfw malick threads are no longer filled with people posting their favorite music and moments from his films
>tfw they always dissolve into petty bickering and namecalling
>>
>>69188465
>pretending to be retarded
>>
>>69188535
Because his legacy is tarnished. He should have quit after TToL.
>>
>>69188479
>Why is it so boring and pointless?
Those are your feelings. Many people found it honest and engaging.

>Why is it so pretentious?
What was so pretentious about it?

>Why does nothing happen?
What do you mean "nothing"? Rick went from being a carefree hedonist to re-evaluating his materialist lifestyle and finding some peace in accepting that life is a journey where meaning comes through the dynamic experiences of living and not from some concrete end goal.

>Why is the acting so bad?
Who are you thinking of specifically?

>What's the point all the unintelligible whispering?
I know this is not your first Malick film so I'm wondering why you take issue with this now. For starters, I take them as a stream-of-consciousness device to directly tell us the characters' pure, disjointed thoughts.
>>
>>69188538
>>69188465
>>
>>69188668
I really liked it, and I agree with all this. I felt it captured life in a way that most movies don't.
>>
File: 1453921006273.jpg (154 KB, 557x595) Image search: [Google]
1453921006273.jpg
154 KB, 557x595
R.I.P. Plots
R.I.P. Character Development

I don't gain anything from abstact masturbationals.

How do you guys feel living in a world where Tarantino is the best we've got?
>>
>>69188744
>reddit meme pic
People should attach pictures like this more often to let everyone know they're shitposting.
>>
>>69182436
2deep4you
>>
>>69188668
>Those are your feelings. Many people found it honest and engaging.
Yeah and plenty of people don't too. ad populum. try again.

>What was so pretentious about it?
What wasn't? That would be easier to list.

>What do you mean "nothing"? Rick went from being a carefree hedonist to re-evaluating his materialist lifestyle and finding some peace in accepting that life is a journey where meaning comes through the dynamic experiences of living and not from some concrete end goal.
I didn't really get that that is what happened. To me it looked like he teleported around a bit and then the film ended. Also he was in the desert for no reason. Oh, I guess there was a reason. m-muh piligrims progress

>Who are you thinking of specifically?
Literally everyone was very awkward. I think it's because the camera was like 2 centimeters from their face the whole time.

>I know this is not your first Malick film so I'm wondering why you take issue with this now. For starters, I take them as a stream-of-consciousness device to directly tell us the characters' pure, disjointed thoughts.
Right. He should have uses subtitles then because I didn't understand anything.

Also another question. Why was it so boring?
>>
File: 1461879929835.jpg (6 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1461879929835.jpg
6 KB, 240x240
>>69188779
You shittin' on reddit? Haha cool
>>
>>69188744
You just don't get it anon.

If it's boring then it's good. The more boring the better. That's how we judge movies in this thread.
>>
>>69188898
>Yeah and plenty of people don't too. ad populum. try again.
What I was saying was that "boring" is a subjective opinion. Children will find Days of Heaven boring.

>What wasn't? That would be easier to list.
Avoiding the question just makes you look worse, not me.

> To me it looked like he teleported around a bit and then the film ended.
Isn't that what happens in most movies if you simplify the narrative that much?

>Also he was in the desert for no reason.
>Oh, I guess there was a reason. m-muh piligrims progress
Well there's one interpretation. This may be hard for you to comprehend (or do) but people sometimes go away from civilization to quiet their minds.

>Literally everyone was very awkward. I think it's because the camera was like 2 centimeters from their face the whole time.
Again, this isn't something new that Malick's done. Tree of Life utilized the exact same approach but apparently you think Brad Pitt drawling is good acting.

>Right. He should have uses subtitles then because I didn't understand anything.
Actually he used intertitles to give it structure. Wanting subtitles to explain a movie is a bit like criticizing paintings for not having speech bubbles.

>Also another question. Why was it so boring?
That's not another question. It's a question that I already answered.
>>
>>69189255
I don't think there's too much use arguing with that guy. You're never going to convince him.
>>
>>69188901
>https://archive.4plebs.org/_/search/filename/1461879929835.jpg/
>a fucking leaf
Every time
>>
File: 1452279253314.jpg (195 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
1452279253314.jpg
195 KB, 333x500
>>69189296
Talk shit get hit bitch is that what you want?
>>
File: can't shark the tark.jpg (97 KB, 440x560) Image search: [Google]
can't shark the tark.jpg
97 KB, 440x560
>>69188744
>>
Like with everything around here, after the thousands of tourists- happily welcomed btw, by the powers-that-are - invaded since Star Wars and the latest blockbusters, even Malick thread, who were always relaxed and friendly are full of the lowest denominator of this shithole. Pure unadulterated cancerous people, it doesn't even matter the theme.
It seems people don't realize this enough; something like 70% of the current board are here only since December. The rape of the corpse is unending.
>>
>>69189255
>What I was saying was that "boring" is a subjective opinion. Children will find Days of Heaven boring.
So things can't be boring, because it's just an opinion? Ok.

>Avoiding the question just makes you look worse, not me.
If I say something is pretentious you will then get into semantics and we will never progress.

>Well there's one interpretation. This may be hard for you to comprehend (or do) but people sometimes go away from civilization to quiet their minds.
People teleport around? Sweet. Didn't know that was a thing.

>Again, this isn't something new that Malick's done. Tree of Life utilized the exact same approach but apparently you think Brad Pitt drawling is good acting.
Brad does a damn fine job. Even Sean Penn plays his part very well. The scenes between Bale and his brother were fucking awful. The way they walk around with the camera all up in their faces was so ugly. Why don't they stop and have a conversation like normal people? Why the wide angle when it's this close to them? I was literally getting dizzy.

>Actually he used intertitles to give it structure. Wanting subtitles to explain a movie is a bit like criticizing paintings for not having speech bubbles.
Ah, the whispering was 2 deep 4 me. I get it now.

>That's not another question. It's a question that I already answered.
But you haven't. The Tree of Life wasn't as boring. It was engaging. The music and the camera work was top notch. All of that is out here. March of the Hebrew Slaves will always sound good, but it's literally the only good tune in this flick. The camera work is ugly as I've mentioned above. it produces this dizzying effect. It's just a combination of meaningless shots one after another. I felt nothing other than boredom afterwords.
>>
>>69189524
Malick threads were always like this you fucking moron.
>>
>>69182436
Haven't seen it yet, but a statement like that coming from a ToL fan makes me hope he stopped turned from going for visually over the top.
>>
>>69189565
You're a pleb, just accept it and move onto the closest CW thread.
>>
>>69183642
Who is Based Quentin?
>>
>>69189662
How am I a pleb? Can you give me one reason?

I, for one, think you're incapable of forming a counter argument and memes are you can resort to.
>>
>>69185117
Nice pic. Do you have more? Where can I find these?
>>
>>69189731
I could give you a thousand reasons, but you'll just keep shitting the same opinion out of your mouth every time as you've been doing since the beginning of the thread.
>>
>>69184383
What is this dance called?
>>
>>69189565
>So things can't be boring, because it's just an opinion? Ok.
You have to add more than just repeating that it's boring. Or just drop this kind of empty criticism because it's about as constructive as calling it pretentious.

>If I say something is pretentious you will then get into semantics and we will never progress.
You seem to be an expert in predicting things but never actually saying anything of substance.

>People teleport around? Sweet. Didn't know that was a thing.
Tree of Life can also be reduced to Sean Penn teleporting around. Why was he at the beach at the end? Must be Star Trek!

>The way they walk around with the camera all up in their faces was so ugly. Why don't they stop and have a conversation like normal people? Why the wide angle when it's this close to them? I was literally getting dizzy.
I'm now convinced you have never seen a Malick film before because you seem to have happily accepted the exact same style in his previous films but for some reason don't like it in this film.

>Ah, the whispering was 2 deep 4 me. I get it now.
So you admit that you want an informative brochure with every work of art you experience?

>The camera work is ugly as I've mentioned above. it produces this dizzying effect.
Funny how you say it produced a dizzying effect in a movie about a man who gets caught up in the whirlwind of worldly pleasures.
>>
>>69189807
Give me one then, mr thousand reasons.
>>
based kermode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH6dXpLbPhQ
>>
>>69189897
>Mark Commode
>>
>>69189603
Kill yourself, redboy. Rewrite history in your gay site
>>
>>69189828

the cuck-trot
>>
>>69188561
He should have quit before making a film that includes Brat Pitt and CGI dinosaurs displaying empathy, if anything. I haven't seen TKoC but I hope it is a better film.
>>
>>69189405

Is it wrong if i find Tarkovsky just a TAD overrated? I mean he's still really good, but, I don't think he's the end all.
>>
File: 1232343547.jpg (88 KB, 1917x809) Image search: [Google]
1232343547.jpg
88 KB, 1917x809
>>69189843
>You have to add more than just repeating that it's boring. Or just drop this kind of empty criticism because it's about as constructive as calling it pretentious.
You are still yet to address it though. I'll give you a hand with it. What did you find interesting? What excited you about it?

>Tree of Life can also be reduced to Sean Penn teleporting around. Why was he at the beach at the end? Must be Star Trek!
Nope. The childhood scenes all came together. There was a story there; one that you didn't have to imagine. Even if you ignore the biblical allegory there is still a family drama at the center.

>I'm now convinced you have never seen a Malick film before because you seem to have happily accepted the exact same style in his previous films but for some reason don't like it in this film.
There are no shots like this in any of his films. The camera is always still, and it observes. It doesn't fly around like some sort of balloon with no logic, bumping into people faces.

>So you admit that you want an informative brochure with every work of art you experience?
Love this argument. If there is a point to a thing which happens it's being spelled out! The Tree of Life was very up front with its message. It's a good message, a universal message. The message is KoC is incredibly simple, but is clouded with all this useless baggage that doesn't need to be there. You will of course claim that it adds depth, but depth which clouds the main meaning of the film is not needed. Everything in The Tree of Life came together in the end. There was no pointless scene of two people awkward sliding around a room together while whispering about something meaningless.

>Funny how you say it produced a dizzying effect in a movie about a man who gets caught up in the whirlwind of worldly pleasures.
>it's supposed to be ugly
Be real here.
>>
>>69189897
BTFO

Kermode has spoken.
>>
This man is the epitome of style over substance
>>
>>69189565
>Brad does a damn fine job
Stopped reading right there.
>>
>>69189969
You've been here since December or something?
>>
>>69190186
>The childhood scenes all came together. There was a story there; one that you didn't have to imagine.
Not even the guy you're having this talk with, but you can't be seriously telling me that there was much of a story there in ToL that 'you didn't have to imagine'. That movie featured dinosaurs at one point.

And on a related note, if you accuse TKoC of having a guy teleport, you also have to accept that TToL featured time travel.
>>
>>69190186
>The Tree of Life was very up front with its message.
Bullshit. It was heavy on the imagery but it's message isn't even coherent, if you inspect it.
>>
>>69190186
>The things happening in TTOL meant something and those in KoC don't.
They are depicting two different kinds of crisis. Just because you can't relate to one of them doesn't make it bad depiction.
>>
>>69190221
That's not post-Bronson Refn.
>>
File: large_tree_of_life_blu-ray_4.jpg (144 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
large_tree_of_life_blu-ray_4.jpg
144 KB, 1600x900
>>69190186
>You are still yet to address it though. I'll give you a hand with it. What did you find interesting? What excited you about it?
The spiritual quest through the 3 tales of allegory: Bunyan, the pearl and the Tarot. The constant tension between Rick seeking a higher truth, some kind of abstract beauty but always being pulled down by earthly desires, something that we all have experienced or wondered about in our lives. The ending acknowledges this paradox as he begins a new journey which is a nuanced and interesting closure rather than a neat little happy ending like the heaven picnic party in Tree of Life.

>Even if you ignore the biblical allegory there is still a family drama at the center.
And even if you ignore The Pilgrim's Progress there is still a story about a restless man at the center of Knight of Cups.

>There are no shots like this in any of his films. The camera is always still, and it observes. It doesn't fly around like some sort of balloon with no logic, bumping into people faces.
Are you serious? Are you really suggesting that The Tree of Life has still cameras that don't fly about, don't focus on faces and don't make the characters appear larger than life?

>The message is KoC is incredibly simple, but is clouded with all this useless baggage that doesn't need to be there.
Like I said above I found that the message of Knight of Cups is actually more philosophically complex especially since it didn't have a concrete kind of ending like The Tree of Life. Just the priest's sermon about the soul and beauty can be a starting point for endless debate about aesthetics (the function of beauty) and metaphysics (Gnosticism etc.), not to mention the realization that Rick comes to of his life just a series of journeys rather than an end in of itself.

>>it's supposed to be ugly
>Be real here.
You can say shit about Knight of Cups all you want but you honestly can't call it ugly.
>>
>>69189897
>he shits on something that drew me in immediately
>>
Malick is the only sincere film maker in the game right now, also the only thing mainstream film has close to an intellectual. Those who disagree with Malick typically agree with the sincerity found in blockbusters; the sincerity Malick offers falls flat in their pessimistic worldview.
>>
File: 1447794166028.jpg (16 KB, 261x173) Image search: [Google]
1447794166028.jpg
16 KB, 261x173
>>69190796
>>69190796
>>
>>69187859
Nice, I'm inclined to agree, although I feel KoC will get better with rewatches. Also I hate seeing TTW last, I really do like it, but i prefer his other stuff as well
>>
File: 241413531531.jpg (17 KB, 378x317) Image search: [Google]
241413531531.jpg
17 KB, 378x317
>the last film Ebert reviewed was a Malick film
>>
File: to-the-wonder4.gif (3 MB, 622x350) Image search: [Google]
to-the-wonder4.gif
3 MB, 622x350
>>69191193
Why are you sad? Ebert died a happy man.
>>
File: 9232234.jpg (40 KB, 690x316) Image search: [Google]
9232234.jpg
40 KB, 690x316
>>69191239
I know
>>
>>69191011
nice dubs, now post your ranking
>>
>>69191239
Christ that's pretentious
>>
>>69192133
That's because you've never experienced it :3
>>
>>69192161
Being an awkward normie?

Happy I've never experienced it 2bh.
>>
File: Dip and kiss.webm (3 MB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
Dip and kiss.webm
3 MB, 1280x544
>>69192212
How is that awkward?
>>
>>69192279
He's an unhappy person, let him be anon.
>>
>>69187898
remembering that reminds me how much I hate that sort of narration - I think if you can dispense with narration then you should do it. and if you think your message is too obscure to "get" then make it clearer, because people who are used to "getting the message" - or drawing their own conclusions from a complex story - feel like they're being talked down to when this occurs, I think. I do, anyway.

just like Badlands was nearly ruined for me by having Sissy Spacek's character musing at the end of every scene about her impressions of what was happening.
the most memorable parts of TToL for me were the gob-smackingly beautiful "cosmic" shots of space anyway, with that soundtrack intensifying it. visual grandeur!
>>
>>69186254
as long as we're wishing for things, I wish it was just Freida Pinto getting gangbanged and bukakked by a bunch of white bulls
>>
>>69193941
>'Hating' voiceovers in Malick films, literally the best director to have ever used this device, and who makes it an integral part of his artistic vision

If you don't 'get' the splendid beauty, poetry and depth of Malick's characters impressions and commentaries, you don't get the man at all t.bh
>>
>>69193941
>the most memorable parts of TToL for me were the gob-smackingly beautiful "cosmic" shots of space anyway, with that soundtrack intensifying it. visual grandeur!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-3Q8c73ziA
3:36
>>
>>69194487
I don't think all of us should be able to "get" every director's vision - if we want directors with diverse visions, why should you expect all of us love each of them with perfect equanimity? just 'cause he's obviously sincere doesn't mean that his use of words tends to drive me further from him.
>>69194699
seeing that in a theatre is what a huge screen was made for - utterly unforgettable
>>
>>69193941
So if the message is obscure you feel like you're getting talked down to if the director doesn't explicitly spell it out for you?

the fuck
>>
>>69187888
Nigga, everyone Shakespeare in highschool and he's still deep.
>>
File: Knight of Cups - Blood & Dust.webm (3 MB, 1000x420) Image search: [Google]
Knight of Cups - Blood & Dust.webm
3 MB, 1000x420
>>
>>69195515
I mean (and pretty sure I said) the opposite of that, friendo

I've had way too many non-verbal, director didn't spell out the message but it came through loud and clear experiences before to prefer movies where they talk about every possible meaning openly.

my gripe about Mallick's voice-over narrations he gives his characters is they draw too much attention to the themes Mallick is exploring, and I can't help but feel that they reveal a bit of mistrust of his audience that they'll be able to understand what he's on about without a little help

basically I get the unshakable feeling he's insecure about whether the audience can understand him, and even if he told me point blank that it was a stylistic choice I still would feel the same way - I think narration like that is an inherently clumsy way of communicating information in films in almost all cases. (maybe the film noir genre it works well)
>>
>>69190796
>Those who disagree with Malick typically agree with the sincerity found in blockbusters; the sincerity Malick offers falls flat in their pessimistic worldview.
The thing I disagree with with Malick is not his 'sencerity', it's his way of making films- since TToL anyway. I don't need sock puppet level philosophical symbolism shoved down my throat and to be spoken down to in allegories, but maybe you have to be an American to like this.
I also think that an attempt at greatness that goes over the top and fails, is still only an attempt. Sadly. And as much I wanted TToL to work for me, it ended up being a clusterfuck full of nice elements and parts that were downright cringe and/or kitsch.

>Malick is the only sincere film maker in the game right now
The only one I trust in Hollywood is PTA. It's good to know the man is out there.
>>
The Tree of Life was a steaming pile of dung, using CGI dinosaurs for pretentious symbolism about grace and mercy. He was going downhill since Thin Red Line. The break didn't do him any good.
>>
>>69194487
Also that gimmick gets old fairly quick , you know, and repetitive.
>>
>>69197122
I haven't seen KoC yet, but I'll watch it solely for the shots of architecture in it. I so hope it's more that than this shit >>69192279
>>
>>69199197
It's a case of points for effort though, for me. But yeah, I hope he came back down and out of his own ass with this one.
>>
I can't quote enough plebs. This thread is a sewer
>>
>>69183642
>based Quentin
> based
> Quentin

There's a chance you're trolling, but people like you are the reason I rarely ever go on this fucking board anymore
>>
>>69194487
>depth of Malick's characters
>implying the characters in TToL were deep
They were shallow and eerily inhuman even. Plus partially atrociously bad in the acting department.

>If you don't 'get' the splendid beauty, poetry
Shit gets repetitive, you know. TToL was exploring over the top visuals and failed at its own range and fell apart because of its attempt at magnitude. Philosophically or poetically he offered nothing new to TTRL. Instead we got random ppl meeting on the beach rambling, the end.
>>
>>69199378
>B-but muh favorite nice to look at visuals and muh spoon-fed christo-mythological philosophy

You smell of old socks and of feeling guilty of masturbation
>>
>>69188064
Half (probably more) of the conversations you have in real life on a daily basis are fucking meaningless.
>>
Hiro please delete this board, I can't stand the cancer anymore.
>>
>>69199619
Great argument. Why don't you go ahead and do your part removing shit and start with your cancerous self
>>
>>69182436
Malick left his talent in the 1970's.
>>
>>69188561
What if it's because this board and everyone on it are more interested in memes, arguing, and their own opinions than genuine film and television discussion?

Nah, that definitely can't be it. KINOKINOKINOKINOLOLOLTARANTINO
>>
>>69199619
Nor can I. But you should know that the gook is your enemy and is actively promoting the continuous rape of this here shithole. He wants all the normalshits and plebs he can get.
>>
>>69199619
There's the door, cakeboy.
>>
>>69199496

Go back to your Star Wars and Capeshit threads
>>
>>69199698
Yeah, just keep disregarding all the valid criticism that has been spelled out in this thread, because you disagree with it.
You are not one bit better than the people you just criticized.
>>
>>69199728
What?
Not even the guy but are you unable to read or are you a shitposter?
>>
>>69199728
Yeah, that's where I'll go to find good cinema instead of Quentin. That's like trying to escape a car accident by lighting yourself on fire before you get in the car.
>>
>>69199745
>Yeah, just keep disregarding all the valid criticism that has been spelled out in this thread
I guess that's the refined humor this place is known for
>>
I havent watched the movie yet but from what i've seen from these post I'm going to consider knights of cups a truly "Artistic film" in the sense that it is to be interpreted in whatever the viewer believes it to be. It doesn't look to be a cookie cutter film filled with all of the usual tropes that hollywood throws into the usual film to sell tickets. i get the vibe that malick is trying to be a french new wave director in a new era, despite the fact that he can't tell a relatible story to save his life and that he is probably only doing this to satisfy his own ego. He probably gets off on people hating his film and then basks in the enjoyment of the folks who love his movies. That's probably why he started his comeback with a mix of action packed/artistic surrealism with the thin red line. He wanted to receive the hate and the love.
>>
are you upset I didn't read your post about "not being a fan" of Malick's narrative style because you need things explained to you solely through incredibly stale and unnaturally coherent and witty passages of dialogue?
>>
>>69199804

>>69189629
>>69190264
>>69190221
>>69190430
>>69199177
>>69199238
>>69199510

>I don't want to enter discussion so these guys are just memeing

Get lost.
>>
>>69199887
>I havent watched the movie yet but from what i've seen from these post I'm going to consider knights of cups a truly
Stopped reading right there. Get fucked. Go watch it or STFU about it. Seriously.
>>
>>69199893
Literally none of those posts you selected have any sort of valid criticism beyond "it's just a bunch of people mumbling" or "it's style over substance". And the part that's funniest to me is the fact that there are people posting on this thread who actually understand the meaning behind Malick's individual style and are actually wanting to discuss it and then there's shitheaps like you trying to end an argument while prolonging the ultimate problem some of us have with this cancerous board in the first place.
>>
>>69199893
If this is your demonstration of how to btfo someone, I really think you should go back where something so pathetic impresses the crowd.
>>
>>69188535
Favourite music;
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCxDZaWRAvo
it just fills me with this warmth and love for the beauty around me.

When i was depressed last year one of the few joys i got was driving in my car to this, whilst witnessing the beauty of the world around me.
No matter what i always knew everything would be okay and that there was meaning behind all of it.

Favourite scene;
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2wL9AawlDA
>>
>>69183100
>>69188141
Pls let Malickposting be a thing again
>>
>>69189603
Nope, they weren't.
>>
>>69200018
Let me spell it out for you then, you dumb fuck.

Malick's movies are condescending in tone and message. His visual style is repetitive and only ever exploring the same circular idea.
TToL fails in what it attempts to be as a film, is incoherent in content, features bad decisions in terms of actors, composition and imagery and leaves you with a shallow taste of something rotten.
Malick is often creating kitsch.
>>
>>69200184
Stop projecting, clown.
>>
File: 1454057754686.jpg (297 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
1454057754686.jpg
297 KB, 1024x683
>>69187557
yes it is not original at all.
Malick has no creativity dooming him to just rerun what has always been done
>>
>>69200018
>a bunch of people mumbling
kindly point out where in the posts quoted is a reference like that, asshole.
>>
>>69188186
>the house of cups - christian bale.webm
the film is good for this scene
>>
>>69200380
>>69200408
>>69200564
Jesus, babby, you're wild. Keep up by all means, be shameless in showing what the you the tourists are made of. I'll gladly witness.
>>
>>69200615
>He doesn't share my hot opinion on my favorite director
>He didn't partake in the circle jerks I enjoyed so much
>He must be a tourist.

Kill yourself. This place isn't your fucking hug box for opinions and compensatory group identity.
But yeah, keep ignoring the content of the posts, asshole.
>>
>>69200615
Not even all me, idiot.
>>
>>69188186
guys, is hershlag doing nudes or we see other kinky stuff with her?
>>
>>69200576
Okay. Right here. >>69199510

>>69200380
>His visual style is repetitive and only ever exploring the same circular idea.
That's because Terrence Malick has taught philosophy for close to 30 years and has used his films as an expansion of those philosophies in relation to the theory of man, in varying scenarios like war, relationship drama, and altogether the relationship of mankind to the universe. He's very inspired by Martin (I believe that's his first name) Heidegger, and is the translator for one of his most definitive and authoritative works.

He had this spiritual awakening/philosophical crisis/whatever label you want to put on it/ after his brother died when he was young, which is reflected on in The Tree of Life. Which doesn't make sense to me why you believe everything about that movie leaves such a bad taste in your mouth when it has obviously come from a very personal place.

Ultimately that's the case with any form of art. It's impossible for anything so individual to comprehended and understood collectively by so many different people, each stemming from their own unique (and possibly shallow) experiences in interpreting art for themselves as well as from the history and perspective of the filmmaker themselves.

Tl;dr i guess you just didn't understand it
>>
>>69188668
Pretty much this. I loved it and enjoyed it on repeating viewings, but I can see why many people won't.

Blogshit, but whenever people critique something that I like my ego usually gets engaged: i feel challenged and go ways to try and protect my opinion, usually by shitting on other people's opinions. With KoC I have no desire of that nature at all. I simply love it and am perfectly fine with other people not loving it.
>>
>>69188668
Thank you for actually being level-headed in this place
>>
>>69200821
>Okay. Right here.
The beach scene was shit though.
>Old me is meeting my father of a certain period in my childhood although I sure as hell saw him later in his life
>>
>>69188186
lucky bastard
>>
>>69200722
>>69200745
And keeps on giving. Engage in the emptiness that your kind try to make pass as 'content' is an idiot's endeavor. I shall just appreciate the babbling of the specimens.
>>
>>69200904
Okay cool, can you stop posting then?

>>69200889
That's not the point. That's a subjective opinion anyhow. Not every one is going to like it and not everyone is going to hate it. I was told to prove the presence of people having no idea what they were talking about and that's what I did.
>>
>>69200821
>He had this spiritual awakening/philosophical crisis/whatever label you want to put on it/ after his brother died when he was young, which is reflected on in The Tree of Life.
>it has obviously come from a very personal place.
Then he failed to transport that. The word is tossed around but the inaccessibility of what you describe him going for could well be considered a problem autists face as well. Might explain why the movie resonates so well with people on here (no offense, though).
>>
>>69200904
Malick fans, everyone
>>
>>69200975
> inaccessibility

Why do you feel this film is inaccessible to your understanding? Do you think you're stupid?
>>
The Tree of Life is objectively the best film of this decade
>>
>>69188535
>>69200249
Funeral Canticle is a good choice, for sure. Malick has a GOAT taste in Classical music.

>Favourite music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j924qaMb0d8

The music is about death which really sets the for the film, but it is a joyful death, happy to be reunited with family and loved ones.
Gives me similar feelings to Komm Susser Tod from End of Evangelion.

>Favourite scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-3Q8c73ziA

It's just breathtaking, especially seeing this sequence for the first time it totally blew me away with some great music, watching the creation of Universe, it makes you feel small but gives you an appreciation for life, since you are part of the world which has survived for so countless years and is pretty majestic.
I guess this scene really made me think about God, something so beautiful and perfect such as life, it's no accident, to creation such a work of art as the Universe, there must have been a creator.
>>
>>69200964
What's subjective about the criticism saying the film picked an arbitrary moment of life to stand out before all others and visually ignores the rest of (what would be a too complex) reality that he leaves out? Are we to believe he never saw or spoke to his father after the episode we saw him choose to reflect in the film? Or that everything concerning his father didn't matter?
It was just too big a shoe for the film to include what would be realistic or consequent in the line of thoughts the character is displayed to have. Hence the reflection and depiction is uncanny and strangely hollow/artificial.
>>
File: image.jpg (135 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135 KB, 640x960
>>69201027
>lol "do you think you're stupid"
>>
>What was so pretentious about it?
>What wasn't? That would be easier to list.
Do you even know what pretentious means?

>Also another question. Why was it so boring?
I guess there wasn't enough fight scenes, pessimism and witty quips in it to keep the average Millenial off his i-Phone.
>>
>>69201027
The whole thing you went on about it being oh so personal and autobiographical, which I apparently supposed to get, is -when I take your line of thought serious- essentially inaccessible because it's in no way marked. Do I need to read Malick's biography to 'get' his film?
>>
File: natalie-portman.png (251 KB, 343x726) Image search: [Google]
natalie-portman.png
251 KB, 343x726
>>69182436
D R O P P E D
>>
File: jewish-hollywood-girls.png (4 MB, 1311x1748) Image search: [Google]
jewish-hollywood-girls.png
4 MB, 1311x1748
>>69201480
Why so many Jews ffs?
>>
>>69200249
>>69201091
It's nice to see posts like this. thanks guys

>Melanesian Choir
This is my favorite music from his films too. It feels like a taking in a large breath of fresh air

My personal favorite scene is from The Tree of life; The two brothers are in the woods playing with a bb gun. Jack tells his younger brother to place a finger at the end of the barrel as a test of trust, and then he pulls the trigger. He immediately feels terribly guilty for the betrayal and pain he has caused his brother. He seeks to remedy the situation by telling his brother "you can hit me if you want."
I remember times like this when I was young, we would all be playing around having fun, rough housing, then thing would be taken too far and someone would get hurt and it felt like the end of the world in a sense. I remember the intense feeling that I would do anything to restore the mood in the room so we could return to having fun once more.
/blog
>>
>>69201091
Just out of curiosity, are you American?
>>
if you read philosophy, you do not need to watch these flicks
>>
ibipnm
>>
>>69201966
>if you read books, you don't need to watch movies
Your point being?
>>
>>69199887
what do you know about Malick? Do you discuss with him daily?
>>
he replaces grass for architecture
>>
>>69200564
>ywn have an orjew with hershlag and titty monster
>>
>muh fragmented visuals
>muh unoriginal archetypal narrative
>muh parallelism to ancient myth and fables
>muh whispering voice overs

10/10 MOTD XD
>>
File: 1462154831048.jpg (374 KB, 696x794) Image search: [Google]
1462154831048.jpg
374 KB, 696x794
>The Tree of Life
>masterpiece
Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.