[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tron
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: tron legacy.jpg (57 KB, 486x720) Image search: [Google]
tron legacy.jpg
57 KB, 486x720
the original tron is a film about how the speed of technology's improvement and integration into society was outpacing society's ability to keep up with that change, and it used the imagery of video games and the cold war to demonstrate the struggle to control this technology in ways that could improve or oppress humanity

tron legacy is a flick about computer nazis, with generic sci-fi themes about "perfection" and despite being a movie set inside a computer, has absolutely nothing to say about technology
>>
tron legacy was a total shit flick
>>
>>69047626
>tron legacy is a flick about computer nazis, with generic sci-fi themes about "perfection" and despite being a movie set inside a computer, has absolutely nothing to say about technology
so you think there's nothing about trans-humanism in it? nor could be the starting point of an interesting story about the singularity?
>>
>>69047723
trans-humanism? not really. you can argue that the ISOs are a post-human, or better yet a post-religious concept, life that digitally evolved inside the computer that will challenge humanity's preconceived philosophical notions of existence. but really, in the film the dichotomy is that the programs were created by God (Flynn) in his image to inherit the Grid, but the ISOs evolved naturally and became God's chosen people instead. It's an interesting idea that the movie doesn't really do a lot with. but as far as transhumanism goes, there's nothing about how technology changes or enlightens Flynn or Sam.

as far as the singularity goes, that went out the window when they decided to ignore the last 20+ years of technological development (ie the internet) in order to tell a story set on an isolated server that was built in the 80s. when they announced that, i had an inkling that the film was going to be dumb. almost nothing in this movie touches on how technology changes how people think and interact (with the notable exception of Sam pirating the Encom OS in the beginning of the movie, a scene that briefly tricked me into thinking I was watching a good movie). disney did make a movie that touched on these themes; it was winter soldier, a movie where literal nazis scrape everyone's digital data in order to mathematically predict and murder potential dissidents. i am still butthurt that a captain america movie was a better tron sequel then the actual tron sequel
>>
>>69047723
No Anon, you need to go fuck yourself if you don't agree with OP. It's in the rules.
>>
>>69047626
Seriously? Your last thread just died, why make another?
>>
>>69048141
i didn't make that thread, and it was deleted by a janitor for no reason anyway

i think the dumbest scene in tron legacy might be on the solar sailer when flynn and sam are having a discussion and flynn asks about how things have changed and sam replies along the lines of "everything's the same, rich getting richer, poor getting poorer." what a load of nothing
>>
>>69048122
yeah, you are probably right. I guess it would make for a good story to use part of the plot of winter soldier to explain how could CLU make everything perfect in the real world.
I like both movies a lot and I just take Legacy for what it is, a story about a kid reuniting with his dad. In the process we learn that he's been there for at least a thousand years, wars happened, genocide happened, really weird breakthrough shit happened (the ISOs) and we get yet again the same movie structure as the original and instead of a Tron and Flynn running away and trying to bypass MCP to let a message out, we get Flynn trying to get his son out. It differs because it touches the surface of transhumanism or like you said post-humanism/religion concepts and also how Kevin Flynn comes to terms with himself facing CLU and his whole perfection proposition. I can see how Kevin is enlightened in the end when he merges and how Sam moves on from being in the shadow of his dad to be his own man.
>>
>>69048122
but then again, I like the movie a lot and most probably I see things when there's nothing to see.
I do feel butthurt too because it left so many doors opened to explore so much shit and we get to watch other random shit that I don't find nearly as interesting. Proof that Legacy was a great starting point for a lot of stories is Tron Uprising, which I rewatch not long ago and man, that was a really good series that didn't deserve being cancelled.
>>
>>69048623
>>69048682
there's really no such thing as seeing things when there's nothing to see, if you like the movie then more power to you. those are all valid reasons to like the movie and i'll agree that the father/son story is pretty strong (and that Uprising didn't deserve to be cancelled). but to me the movie feels like a huge missed opportunity to tell something really relevant in the way that the first tron was
>>
>>69049085
I'm pissed because it was the start point of something really cool and because it wasn't a movie that made a billion bucks we get to watch another thor movie or worst a fucking movie about the retard fish from finding nemo.
>>
>>69047626
Nobody likes Tron Legacy for the story, anon. They like it for the GOAT visuals and soundtrack, plus Michael Sheen as David Bowie. Also waifu.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.