[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What a horrible movie. Why are the critics liking it? Are they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: high-rise-poster[1].jpg (792 KB, 2026x3000) Image search: [Google]
high-rise-poster[1].jpg
792 KB, 2026x3000
What a horrible movie. Why are the critics liking it? Are they afraid that they didn't understand it?
>>
Does anyone here watch anything other than capeshit?
>>
>>69037691

They aren't though. Opinions have been incredibly polarized.

I also think it's pretty awful but I went in with really high expectations given the director and the source material. I can't really bring myself to watch it again though.
>>
>>69038735
This board is basically a SFW, movie/tv themed /b/.
>>
Just like the book, the de-evolution comes so fast and lasts so long. No real tension throughout. I give it 2/5 stars.
>>
>>69038821
>They aren't though.
Well it holds a 70%+ on RT.
>I went in with really high expectations given the director
I've only seen Kill List, his most popular movie, which was above average until the last 30 minutes that ruined everything. Why the high expectations?
>>
>>69039126
This is the main problem with it.
Movie went from 0 to a hunned real quick
That said I enjoyed it and gave it a 3/5 on my letterboxd
>>
>>69039319
70% on RT is "okay"

>>69038821
Why would you go in with high expectations for a Ben Wheatley movie? All his movies are just average with a few good segments.
>>
>>69037691
>Never adequately explains the level of intellect of the characters in that world
>Never portrays the society to which living in the high rise is preferable
>Rarely gives anyone sufficient motivation to act the way they do
>Never convincingly depicts why anyone wouldn't just walk away
>Doesn't have a convenient twist excuse to at least partly convince those who weren't paying that much attention but bothered to sit all the way through it

It looks and sounds terrific, gets a handful of great performances, a good measure of dark humour and is utterly uncompromising. It's also bloated and tiresome and it does deserve the flak it's getting. I'm however glad that it's something that a director can still pull off. And it does something that most great films do in providing food for thought. Whether that's down to its intent or its outlandish form is up to the viewer.
>>
BvS syndrome.

Pretty good movie, but overly complex for plebs, tried to do too much and failed to convey its intentions clearly while getting lost in its musings a bit.
>>
>>69039796
>missing the point, the post
Hello plebbit.
>>
>>69039496
>0 to a hunned real quick
I wish I could murder you real quick.
>>
>>69039975
At least it's not shitpost, the shitpost.
>>
>>69039319
>>69039605

I am of the opinion that Kill List is brilliant
>>
>>69039605

Also the premise of the novel High Rise is an absolutely incredible idea that should be difficult to fuck up so badly.
>>
>>69037691
I tried to watch this the other night. Tedious as hell.
>>
Massive disappointment.

Someone get Ridley Scott to recut it
>>
>>69037691

>What a horrible movie.

I thought it was genius. One of movies of the past 4 or 5 years by far.
>>
>>69042596

well I'll say that it is hard to disagree with your second comment
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.