[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you go about adapting this if you were in a binding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: infinite jest.jpg (499 KB, 1653x2560) Image search: [Google]
infinite jest.jpg
499 KB, 1653x2560
How would you go about adapting this if you were in a binding contract to do so?
>>
There's a movie called 'Adaptation' starring Nicholas Cage wherein the writer of the script gave up trying to adapt a work of non-fiction and instead made a movie about failing to adapt the book into a movie.

Infinite Jest could, would, and should go the same way. An actual Infinite Jest movie would suck shit.
>>
>some self-centered neurotic dude rambling about popcorn and how big of a virgin he is for 8 hours
>>
I wouldn't even try it
>>
film the author laughing at the audience for 3 hours
>>
8 hours, malick style, interweaved with unsimulated masturbation sequences and national geographic-esque documentary style clips
>>
I'd cut everything not centred around the tennis academy. Recover house material: gone. Quebec separatists: cut. Make it like a Dead Poets Society typeof deal.
>>
It could have clips of some of the filmmaker Incandenza's movies, too, for comic relief.
>>
>>69037060
10-hour HBO limited series
>>
>2 hours more movie after the credits rolled and 99% of the audience left already
>>
>>69037258
You're right but the fact that adaptation already did it negates the impact it would have. I would make a half documentary half fiction hybrid miniseries if I had the means.
>>
>>69037376
>film the author
Anon...
>>
>>69037376
Anon...
>>
>>69037060
Make it a show
>>
>>69037677
What would the doc parts be about?
>>
File: D.B.-Weiss-and-David-Benioff.jpg (1 MB, 2542x2575) Image search: [Google]
D.B.-Weiss-and-David-Benioff.jpg
1 MB, 2542x2575
I'd hand it to these two masters
>>
>>69037060
Never read the book, whats it about?
>>
>>69037060
The Infinite Jest in the movie is the actual book by DFW (not Him's movie), thus Hal etc. aren't characters in the film - the basic broad plot (terrorism, atheletes, addiction) of the book is adapted with entirely new characters, settings, and plotlines.

You don't piss off fans of the book, and you get to adapt it.
>>
>>69038023
tennis
>>
>>69038023
weed
>>
Can anyone tell me why Infinite Jest is held in such high regard? What's the significance, or why do you personally like it?
I was planning on reading it, but it hasn't yet been translated into my language. So I downloaded it in English in PDF and tried reading it, but I gave up after a few pages. It seemed very dense for a non native speaker.
>>
>>69038023
Guy makes movie so funny it can kill people.
Guy is actually terribly depressed and kills himself by sticking his own head in a microwave.
Guy's son is a tennis prodigy and his plot is mostly slice-of-life until the end.
French-canadian, wheelchair bound terrorists want to use killer video to force Quebec to secede.
Up the street from guy's kid is a rehab facility where you get more slice-of-life.

Ending (???) ties all three plots together, and is roughly an 8 on the mindfuck scale. 800 pages of plot, 200 pages of footnotes (literally chapters of backstory take place in the footnotes).

I liked it a lot, but as I understand it, it's basically the "Fight Club" of /lit/ (as opposed to the actual "Fight Club" novel).
>>
just do the whole joi-filmography to be honest, then the book in parts. actually, make a whole dfw cinetamic universe with action figures and spin-off tv-series anthology based on his essays and short stories
>>
>>69037060
What am I doing?

Am I the screenwriter? If so, I'd probably ask for a mini-series of at least 12 episodes.Then halfway through I'd realize it's impossible and probably shoot myself.

Am I a director? I'd probably be thinking that this project is how I make my mark. I love the ideas in the book and I'm going to do DFW justice on the big screen (or on TV, which is basically the big screen now that everyone watches shit on their computers).

If I'm the producer, I'd hire a couple novelists to try and adapt it for a mini-series or (God help them) a movie. I'd find a young, hungry director. And I'd lie about the budget to make them feel like there are limitations and they need to ask me for more. I'd basically take creative control through financing.

In all cases I'd probably end up shooting myself.
>>
>>69038357
>and is roughly an 8 on the mindfuck scale

what is the le epic twist?
>>
>>69038023

tennis
drugs
footnotes
>>
>>69038357
On a scale of 1 to House Of Leaves, how mindfucky is it?
>>
>>69037258
Adaptation actually does contain most of the narrative of that Orchid book via Meryl Streep and Chris Cooper's arcs.
>>
>>69037376
...nonA
>>
>>69038339
The world and character building is insanely detailed. The bizarre parts of the plot are accentuated by the mundanity of the rest of it. The continual and extensive footnotes make reading the book more interactive and involving than anything else I've read. DFW is rightfully labelled as pretentiously florid, but sometimes a turn of phrase requiring a re-read of a particular sentence made me laugh out loud, which I've rarely come across elsewhere.

>>69038732
It's actually an adaptation of Hamlet in an of itself, told non-chronologically. The first scene is actually the last, and Him's ghost is a Deus Ex Machina. The terrorist mastermind is never revealed explicitly, but all clues point to Orin, Hal's brother and Him's son.

>>69038800
I still need to read House of Leaves, and want to very badly.
>>
>>69038732
It's not a twist so much as certain ideas (about depression, impermanence, boredom,etc.) come to a head. As does the plot, in somewhat surprising ways. By the time you get to the end, you feel like there is so much information you now possess. Despite /lit/'s crankiness about it being brought up, it's a very good read and is full of truth and wisdom.
>>
I'd kill myself rather than adapt it.

Oh wait...
>>
>>69038800
House of Leaves is a different book entirely.

Infinite Jest is a lot funnier. It also exists in an alternate reality, rather than inserting something supernatural into our world.

I love both books, however.
>>
>>69037060
You'd have to cut out significant parts of the book and focus it entirely on one character, which basically completely kills the point of the book. You just can't make a faithful adaptation of this unless you made a movie that was like 80 hours long.
>>
>>69038800
>>69039017
House of Leaves is the capeshit of literature. Trite, tasteless pulp to be consumed by the pleb masses.
>>
>>69038916
The terrorist mastermind is never revealed explicitly, but all clues point to Orin, Hal's brother and Him's son.

Does it? I thought Orin was just disseminating that video specifically to people who Avril slept with out of jealousy - he was just an innocent and stupid bystander. Doesn't help that's he's proven to be one of (if not THE) most unreliable characters in the entire novel.

Isn't it more likely that John NR Wayne is very involved, or at least planted at the academy by AFR to find and secure the master copy?

I'm sure there's some shit I missed, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>69039311
I thought that was YA romance novels
>>
>>69039478
http://iancanread.blogspot.com/2012/12/infinite-jest-what-happened.html
http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/ijend
I guess "mastermind" is a bit strong, but he's the one who ends up getting the tape into AFR's hands. I'm pretty sure Wayne was a plant but switched sides as he literally loses his head helping Hal and Gately. It's been a year or two since I finished it though, and every few months the urge to start it up again takes over.
>>
>>69038023
tennis
depression
rehab
french
>>
>>69039872
french canadians to be more specific
>>
>>69039970
I just remember that there are a lot of french phrases and words
>>
>>69039680

Yeah, the connection is definitely there but it feels like less of a "masterful" play for Orin and more an unintended consequence of his actions, though to be honest I forget the exact way in which that exchange takes place (if it's even explicitly shown).

The first link is also fairly melodramatic in regards to the ending - I tend to prefer most of the second link's theories on the ending/the plot.

I read it for the first time almost a year ago, and a few months later re-read it. I'm worried this thread is going to make me read it again. Fuck.
>>
>>69040013
How can you forget the US annexing Canada and then literally flinging its shit at Montreal in giant catapults.

Also, the fucking Mario play about recent history is one of the funniest things to have ever been written.
>>
>>69037060
Id set up cameras all over my apartment and just do what I do every day
>>
>>69040142
I remember that.
Also, tbqh the synopses of Him's films are funnier
>>
>>69040202
already been done m8
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Live_in_Public
>>
>>69037669
underrated post
>>
>>69037060
it wouldn't even be that hard to adapt. its got an extremely coherent story. shit let maxi landis have a swing at it. he could probably handle it if they would give me the budget and a half decent cast. it'd probably be better off as a netflix series at this point though.
>>
>>69041163
Fuck off Max
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.