[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Da fuq?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: 6.10_film-cal_blue-velvet.jpg (260 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
6.10_film-cal_blue-velvet.jpg
260 KB, 1280x1920
Da fuq?
>>
PABST BLU RIBBOOOON
>>
HEINEKEN?!
>>
Doesn't this one actually kind of add up?
>>
I love the bit where they're in the car and Kyle just hauls off and punches Dennis Hopper in the nose.
>>
So we're agreed this is a masterpiece?
>>
10/10 film
>>
>>69027359
It is
>>
>she wore
>>
>>69027359
It's a very good film, but that doesn't mean the poser narrow perception of redditor can understand it. They are merely imitating the words of people who have declared to enjoy so to look cool for their similarly minded serious moviebuff friends, in order to provoke approval. Look at this board and tell me if this is a place where people consume media beyond low iq sensibility, and i'll tell you that you are lying. This is nothing but a videogame reject dump ground.
>>
LOVE LETTER
O
V
E

L
E
T
T
E
R
>>
File: 1447948494041.jpg (53 KB, 394x395) Image search: [Google]
1447948494041.jpg
53 KB, 394x395
>>69027359

of course. this and blade runner are the essential post modern films. they were postmodern before it was even a thing.

everything is genius, from the acting, the settings, mise en scene, the symbolism which at first appears extremely obvious (ear, candle et cetera) but turns out to be subtle and intriguing, dennis hopper with what is perhaps one of the best portrayals of a maniac in any film ever made, his crazy fetishes.. and even though this movie is complex and stunning, it never ever gets boring, it literally is "a ride". it's tense, it's intoxicating, it draws you in like no other film. the soundtrack is perfect, everything adds up perfectly. i could ramble on for hours but i'll just say

MOMMY!!!!!! BABY WANTS TO FUCK!!!!!!!
>>
FUCK
THAT
SHIT
>>
>>69027707
Do you understand that is is possible to enjoy different things for different reasons?

Fois gras and Big Macs are not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>69027707

> This is nothing but a videogame reject dump ground.

true

>>69026976

anyone notice that when Frank Booth says "PRETTY" it sounds exactly like larry david's "pretty, pretty good"?
>>
>>69028084

>foie

well, they arent of course but u wont see me eating at mcdonalds anytime soon. that shit tastes like ass

not the guy u replied to either
>>
>>69026976
Literally the first Hipster movie
>>
I jerked it to this movie more than once
>>
>>69026976

It's pretty good (to echo a phrase another anon used), but parts of it are goofy. It's not the FUCK-BRILLIANT kino that it's made out to be (Lynch has better stuff), but it's a lasting "weird movie". I hadn't watched it in years so I revisited it a couple months ago. It's literally a 30 year old movie so I'm going to talk about it below without muh tags, if you don't want to read it, don't read it.

Cool stuff: I like the shot where the jocks/chads (not Frank and his boys) start roughing the hero up, and they just stay put for a beat kinda forming a column, then Isabella emerges from behind them and it takes the audience a second or three to register that there's another figure "on the stage"/in frame. Really cool how the shot is done, and it's just another permutation of Lynch making the hero/audience nervous by throwing in weird shit happening.

I associate it with Scorpio Rising due most obviously to the use of the titular song, but also a vaguely 50s/60s feel of motor vehicles and danger, helped along by the music before Lynch went all MTV with Lost Highway. Even the guy at This Is It reminds one of a Kenneth Anger, or a John Waters, we've got some old school camp going now. Isabella is not a good singer though, the character seems to be another permutation of Eraserhead's lady across the hall. A curled brunette sex object with whom the hero does in fact make it at some point.

The goofy stuff is Laura Dern's goofy fucking giraffe face. She does a pretty awesome D: face late, would be a great reaction image. Also the fake robin prop and recall of the story to close the movie is kinda stupid, and falls flat.

It feels weird looking at Eraserhead-tier interior sets, esp. Isabella's apartment, in color. Looks shabby on-screen, even by RL apartment standards. I kinda don't like it, I liked the interiors of Lost Highway better. Never seen Twin Peaks btw but I've seen the better part of Lynch kino and generally like them, Eraserhead being the favorite.
>>
>>69028786

Do you think the obviously fakeness of the robin was intentional?
>>
>>69028786

Oh, I also found it ham-handed how "Blue Velvet" is repeated PERVASIVELY, as in:

-the classic song is played
-the song is covered by an actress
-the literal material, Blue Velvet on opening credits
-the material becomes fetish object

Yeah yeah I get it you're telling a story but just tone down the repetition a little bit. it's that

>She wore Blue Velvet

pepe are you fucking kidding me Lynch meme, y'know.
>>
>Do you want me to pour the beer, Frank?

>No! I want you to fuck it! Yes, pour the fucking beer!

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>69028920
I forget exactly what he said, but in Lynch On Lynch he explained why the bird looked like that. I kind of remember them having a valid reason for it. Basically this:

>According to the DVD special features, David Lynch had initially tried to use a real robin, which no animal trainer could get to move on cue. Because of the robin's unpredictability, Lynch ordered a hurried construction on a mechanical robin so that the scene could be filmed. Because of the rushed schedule and technology available in 1986, the robin is quite obviously fake; this was not intentional, however. In fact, it was supposedly made using a dead robin that the prop designer had found on the way in to work that day. Whether or not Lynch ultimately re-worked the intended meaning of the scene to indicate that the peace in Lumberton is false and fleeting has been the subject of fan speculation since the film's release.
>>
>>69028786

> It's not the FUCK-BRILLIANT kino

it is though

>(Lynch has better stuff)

what? i don't even disagree, just curious

>>69028786

>before Lynch went all MTV with Lost Highway

are you fucking serious dude? i'm the most snobbiest of all music fags and i think you couldn't be more wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDMC2kNnIls

are you calling THIS mtv shit? never in my life have i heard of mtv playing jazz, but this? nope

there's also a fantastic antonio carlos jobim song on there, the I'm Deranged edit is fantastic, so is dub driving

yeah we all prefer the original version of I Put A Spell On You to manson's version, but it fit very well with the industrial theme of the movie

>Eraserhead being the favorite.

probably mine, too, though i'm very indecisive.

Seriously though Red Bats With Teeth is so fucking great jesus lord
>>
best spider-man adaptation, will never be topped
>>
>>69027807
>they were postmodern before it was even a thing.

Postmodernism has been a "thing" since the late-19th century.
>>
>>69028920

Personally I don't care, because I think both the prop and the metaphor were overall stupid.

But yes, there's an old meme about how Lynch spent a lot of creepy-time examining a dead cat to get his Eraserhead baby looking just right. The point being that if he really cares about a prop, he can get it looking right, which suggests that any fakeness is intentional by now. But as I said, I don't care.
>>
>>69029248

of course you are right, but postmodernism as a "movement" so to speak was prevalent in architecture for example long before it was in film. it arrived in film as a medium latest out of all the artforms. you could direct me to a few films with pomo sensibilities that came out before those two, but i think it's hard to argue that these two aren't the "essential pomo flicks" of the 20th century.

in fact pomo did not take off in film until philosophy took to it. with the emergence of post structuralism (think foucault) and deconstruction (think derrida) it became really popular in film. that's what i meant.

film and philosophy very often go hand in hand, actually. thinkers like heidegger, though not very widely read, actually had a relatively big influence on 20th century cinema.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.