[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is it so good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
why is it so good
>>
>>68996695
Because they're shitting all over the entertainment industry
>>
ROSEBUD FROZEN PEAS
>>
>>68996747
MWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
how is this show barely remembered?

It's almost old Simpsons tier good
>>
>>68996792

Family Guy stole the "cutaway gag" from this very show.

It also has this intro and segue music that's so fluttery and without a care that it hurts. The animation and music make it feel dated in a very sadly nostalgic way.

Most of the jokes are good enough, a few duds, but overall the show is quite funny.

It only had two seasons and was buried beneath mid-90s pop culture which included the Simpsons, WWE, all the family oriented network shows, etc.
>>
>>68996695

It's not though.

Too many crappy pop-culture jokes. Not enough entertainment satire. Side characters are either boring or have one joke which gets old fast (lol crazy meme dad). I don't really know why this is held up as an underrated gem of a show, a lost treasure from the 90s.
>>
>>68997265
kill yourself
>>
File: 1459412269199.jpg (25 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1459412269199.jpg
25 KB, 400x400
>>68997265
So its like the old simpsons

>It has pop culture references so its bad
Oh so every cartoon ever is bad

Popeye is bad

fuck /tv/
>>
>>68997323
>Oh so every cartoon ever is bad

they are.

everything sucks.
>>
File: 1458110132869.jpg (40 KB, 523x480) Image search: [Google]
1458110132869.jpg
40 KB, 523x480
>>68997349
>Not saying everything stinks
Hang in there bro
>>
[adult swim] syndication when?
>>
>>68997323
>>It has pop culture references so its bad

I never implied that a pop culture reference by itself is bad. When the whole show is pervaded with it, and when the jokes aren't clever in any way, then of course it's bad.

>So its like the old simpsons

There is no comparison between this show and Classic era Simpsons. The Simpsons didn't have a huge reliance on pop-culture jokes. It succeeded in its expectations as a subversive family comedy and then went on to parody many things such as religion, entertainment, politics, and education, whereas The Critic, while focusing on parodies of movies and the movie business some of the times (its best episodes were entirely focused on them), spend way too much time exploring a retarded wacky adventure of its protagonist, or something about his boring unremarkable son, or his crazy meme dad (who is literally more reddit than deadpool). The Simpsons had a sundry group of side characters who were perfectly humanised and were given some very fine episodes. Maybe The Critic would have had more room to grow if it wasn't cancelled early, but for the episodes that were made it's just a mediocore relic of the 90s.
>>
>>68997881
At least It spawned Family Guy because Seth is a fucking hack and copied the format and all the jokes
Oh god why
>>
>>68996695
Because he's bascially /tv/: the character
>>
>I'll take those keys
>You idiot, what good are the keys without the car? ... oh.
>>
File: 1458787576702.gif (1 MB, 828x828) Image search: [Google]
1458787576702.gif
1 MB, 828x828
>>68998563
>That feel when cartoons will never be this funny or well written ever again

ree
>>
I liked this show when it was new, but a few years ago I rewatched it on DVD and I hated it. I agree with the anon who said it is a mediocre relic of the 90s.
>>
what is it?
>>
>>68998689
it does feel very hit or miss, the jokes are either clever or just painfully unfunny
>>
>>68998781
boku no pico
>>
>>68996695
It stinks
>>
>>68998781

nvm I see it's "the critic"

..watching the pilot now, will report back with my opinion.
>>
Why do people bring up The Critic so much when it was only OK?

Meanwhile Dr. Katz was a decade or more before its time and gets no love.
>>
>>68998890
>Being 20 years late
Dude woah bogus
>>
>>68998820
How is this different than other other comedy? It cant be all 100% zingers unless its shaun of the dead or hot fuzz

The 1st season was a bit better
>>
I can't even remember why I hated it on the rewatch. Possibly unlikeable characters and unappealing animation, but I'm just guessing.
>>
>>68998924

dr katz isnt very good. home movies is the memorable cartoon in that style.
>>
>>68998924

I agree with you. Dr Katz is great. That's a real underrated 90s gem. The dialogue and the jokes are very natural, and the banter between Dr Katz and his son is always great.

The only real problem with the show is sometimes the comedian guests can be very loud and obnoxious and it really clashes with the tone of the rest of the show. Although they aren't featured too often.
>>
>>68999111

what channel was it aired on?
>>
>>68999286

Comedy Central
>>
File: Duckman.jpg (56 KB, 356x500) Image search: [Google]
Duckman.jpg
56 KB, 356x500
Best underrated 90's cartoon passing throught
>>
>>68999362
Been thinking I should give this a go. I remember liking it when it was on, but lost track of it after a few episodes. Was it initially shown after a more popular show and then moved? Seems like a reason I would have seen it and then lost track.
>>
>>68999303
It was on fox ya dip
>>68999362
This is the greatest cartoon ever made. It's objective fact
>>
>>68999458
>Was it initially shown after a more popular show and then moved?
I don't know about the US because I'm not from there, but In my country they used to air new episodes after South Park and had reruns of old episodes at midnight I think
>>
>>68999111
The dialogue seems so surreal in that show it's insane
>>
File: TruerThanEver.jpg (59 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
TruerThanEver.jpg
59 KB, 500x375
>>68997085
The cutaway was really popularized by the Simpsons who's writers that did so went on to create The Critic.

The music is supposed to be reminiscent of the composer Gershwin particularly Rhapsody in Blue which is very much associated with NYC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynEOo28lsbc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFMsOeWyWTY

The DVD commentary said that first it was removed from the ABC network because back then the ABC execs they thought it was too racey in comparison to their other shows like Home Improvements or the TGIF lineup. They then moved to FOX but were cancelled due to a regime change where the new FOX Execs wanted the projects their predecessors green-lit to fail so they looked better by comparison.

there was a later web series which is also pretty funny though and I'd recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to look them up.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.