[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
High Rise (2016)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: High Rise.jpg (117 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
High Rise.jpg
117 KB, 1000x563
What does /tv/ have to say about this?

Forego capeshit to discuss a real film for a while.
>>
shit film
>>
It was great, I loved it. Not Wheatley's best but the man still has a 5 for 5 track record.

I understand why some people wouldn't enjoy it.
>>
It was like Snowpiercer and Synecdoche, New York put together

I found it boring as fuck

>oh look, it's another story where an enclosed society collapses on itself and spirals down in acts of violence and madness, all while being a not at all subtle metaphor for the society we live in

Fuck, people usually read The Lord of the Flies when they are around 12, they don't need to have the same story told over and over to them while pretentious directors pat themselves on the back for how smart and deep they are

The movie made its predictable point pretty quickly, and then needlessy dragged on

Also, the "people are collectively going insane and so they don't find anything of the messed up stuff going on around them appalling or disturbing" thing is pretty annoying, I hated it in Synecdoche, New York and I hate it here
>>
File: maborosi.jpg (453 KB, 1500x1598) Image search: [Google]
maborosi.jpg
453 KB, 1500x1598
>>68962866
rank his films?
>>
File: High-Rise.2015.3.webm (2 MB, 900x380) Image search: [Google]
High-Rise.2015.3.webm
2 MB, 900x380
>>68963660
A Field In England > Kill List > Down Terrace > High-Rise > Sightseers
>>
>>68963015
This

I guess people keep making movies like this because people are still naive and all that shit... but not because they haven't been exposed to those messages/themes. Everybody has seen something with those themes, fucking everybody. I wish filmmakers would stop doing this and actually make movies with interesting themes.
>>
>>68962552
It shows how architects think when designing their projects. I sometime mix some social wellfare funded apartments with high-class ones. Having low-income immigrants living next to posh-fag yuppies. For the fuck of it and social experimentation.
>>
>>68963015
some people are fooled into thinking that it's a more interesting concept than it is when applied to their own culture so these movies keep getting made, this one was a direct parallel to the british empire so bongs probably really enjoyed while everyone else was bored to tears.

>>68964252
I sometimes lie on the internet. For the fuck of it and social experimentation.
>>
It was one of the best movies in recent memory. I really do not understand the criticism that it's a rote metaphor when not only is it extremely relevant and interesting but there was a lot more going on aside from the societal hierarchy aspect of it. I also have no idea how anyone could find it boring. It wasn't necessarily perfect but it gave me a lot more to chew on then most movies I've watched that have been released this year.
>>
>>68962552
Shit, like every Wheatley flick.
>>
File: 1454254055563.png (54 KB, 202x200) Image search: [Google]
1454254055563.png
54 KB, 202x200
>>68962552
>This asshole is remaking The Wages of Fear
>>
>>68966914
Ok, I agree it wasn't completely terrible, acting and visuals were as good as they could be, but I'm still not sold on the central theme.
You say that there are many other things going on, but I didn't see much of that, I only saw the main point reiterated a needlessy high amount of times.
About the "relevant and interesting" part I have to disagree, because it's really too heavy handed for me to be so, it looks more like a caricature of the concept; but these are just my opinions.

Maybe as I said the thing I truly found tiresome was the "nonsense" aspect of it, the whimsical and more interpretable parts that didn't quite fit in; I can sometimes appreciate this kind of obscure and oniric elements in some movies, but this times it felt like they were there to convey more of an artsy "welcome to my twisted mind xD" atmosphere than to actually say something
>>
>>68967917
I don't really know where to begin as there were a lot of things that I'm still chewing on from the movie. To me the central theme was that of psychic trauma, and how there's a lot wrong with the world that we only feel in oblique ways. Two direct examples would be the song SOS being featured prominently and Wilder replaying his incoherent screaming over and over again on the tape recorder. The film functioned on multiple levels, it had social commentary but was also an illustration of why social commentary alone isn't enough and in some ways only serves to reinforce the negative ideas one tries to bring to light by documenting them. That might be seem too clever by half for some people but I find it to be an extremely salient point. There was also a consistency to the more ambiguous parts, and there is a large case to made that the High Rise wasn't even supposed to be set on an alternate earth but was some sort of cosmic playground for a higher order being, either The Architect or his son. There's allusions that the kid (or someone) was simply picking the wings off of flies for his own amusement or that the architect was trying to discover a paradigm for humanity. In any case on a more concrete level I think it worked brilliantly as an exploration of insanity and how Lang's adaptation to the world around him didn't make him any less crazy despite appearances and all manners of measurable success. The twisted mind atmosphere might seem self indulgent but I think the way that the movie disoriented the viewer was quite effective and interesting.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.