[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the fucking point? I'm dumb, I'm stupid, call
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: DDLplainview.png (2 MB, 1916x800) Image search: [Google]
DDLplainview.png
2 MB, 1916x800
What was the fucking point?
I'm dumb, I'm stupid, call me names I don't give a fuck what was the fucking message of this overhyped shit heap?
DDL can ham it up and still win oscars?
Was that the point?
I was treated to 3 hours of DDL acting like an asshole to everyone else without ever being given the explanation for his ambition or his lack of morals, we just get to see an asshole make money and then kill a fake priest after mocking him.
What did they mean by this?
I liked Paul Dano though.
>>
>>68946553
>high schooler: There will be blood is AWESOME
>>
Character study
>>
oil is evil and so is the church
>>
>>68946553
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHuSRHxBgUg
>>
>>68946553
I don't understand this reasoning. Why does something have to have a point? What is a point in this context, even?

What is the point of some other films off the top of your head?
>>
>>68946683
Then it wasn't that well done considering he doesn't grow nor regress.
He begins as a greedy asshole and ends up a greedy, murderous asshole.
My opinion right now in 2007 the US were still in full war for oil and the critics, political as always, saw this as a good chance to link oil and bad people, that's why they praised it so much.
>>
>>68946664
ohohh
>DDL le Stanislavsky actor meme
>>
>>68946782
Because the cinematography, scoring, and acting all point to the movie aiming for some high standard of moral study when in fact it's fairly flat.
>What is the point of some other films off the top of your head?

A movie from the same year, No Country for Old men had a lot of themes while still caring about its direction and cinematography.
>>
>>68946784
He starts as a greedy asshole and ends as a greedy asshole whose greed and assholery has left him devoid of reasoning, empathy and sanity. Its not about oil. It's about greed and ruthless competitive attitude. Replace the oil with any other commodity and the character story would still work absolutely fine.
>>
>>68946553
>without ever being given the explanation for his ambition or his lack of morals

Do you seriously think people really have deep psychological reasons for being an asshole?
>>
>>68946683
>>68946553
Not everything has to be spoon fed to the audience. Quite honestly watch the movie again and do a character study of DDL. Along with a quick google search of the time and setting to add context.

>his ambition or his lack of morals, we just get to see an asshole make money and then kill a fake priest after mocking him. What did they mean by this

although DDL was ruthless he still had some values, which is why he killed the priest. Plainview did not mask his ambitions or ruthlessness and he hated how the priest masked his.

TWBB is top kino, don't understand all the hate.
>>
>>68946757
>I want to earn enough money, I can get away from everyone
This line and the ending is the whole movie OP.

>>68946784
A character study doesn't have to be about growth. He is who he is, throughout the film we see different facets of him and get a deeper understanding.

Dismissing all opinions you don't agree with like that is really juvenile and a shitty mindset to have when approaching any kind of art.
>>
This movie marks the beginning of PTAs kino era
>>
>>68946882
That might be it and certainly sounds like the most sound explanation, I still didn't like it and would not certainly waste other 3 hours of my shitty life re-watching it, I'd rather rewatch Ejzenstejn Ivan movies than this, at least the acting there is more entertaining.

>>68947035
>TWBB is top kino, don't understand all the hate.
The hate comes from having to work 45 hours a week, having 2 nights for movie-watching and wasting 3 hours of my time watching a boring slog.
The other movie I saw this week was Gatsby (Redford I plan on watching DiCaprio next) and I liked it a lot.
>>
>>68947161
Suit yourself. You probably wouldn't like The Master either. Personally TWBB is one of my favourites. It's actually one of the films I enjoy rewatching more than other favourites.
>>
>>68946553

>Then it wasn't that well done considering he doesn't grow nor regress.

That isn't necessary for a study
>>
>>68946553
>I'm dumb, I'm stupid, call me names I don't give a fuck what was the fucking message of this overhyped shit heap?

>movies need to have a message

thats the biggest fucking mistake of /tv/ posters
>>
>>68947161
>The hate comes from having to work 45 hours a week, having 2 nights for movie-watching and wasting 3 hours of my time watching a boring slog.

maybe you should just submit to the notion that you are an actual plebenian and live happily?
im not even memeing...
>>
>it's an autistically-troubled OP goes all out on a movie that came out literally close to a decade ago episode
kek
>>
>>68947855
Come on now, actually add something to the discussion instead of shitposting. We discuss 40yr old movies on /tv/. What's wrong with discussing older movies?
>>
>I've abandoned mah child
>I've abandoned mah boy
>>
>>68946553
as i see it, the movie is about a guy obsessed with "making it"
>>
>>68948057
exactly
>>
>>68948057
He makes it at the cost of his family/friends etc. When some shit head priest wants to fucking use him, he fucking beats him to death to let him know his straw has taken the milkshake and he's not sharing any of it. End of story, hand me my oscar please.
still a 10/10 kino, absolutely love this movie.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.