[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you become a film director?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: img29.jpg (176 KB, 1000x566) Image search: [Google]
img29.jpg
176 KB, 1000x566
How do you become a film director?
>>
>>68945624
Have a relative in the media.
>>
>>68945624
be jewish
>>
shoot using film
>>
>>68945803
bingo
>>
>>68945624
>watches a Wes Anderson FLICK once

>yep this is me ready to make film
>>
don't go to film school
>>
join illuminati
>>
>>68945624
be jewish
>>
>>68945624
Being Jewish.
>>
File: quentin-tarantino-06.jpg (32 KB, 508x311) Image search: [Google]
quentin-tarantino-06.jpg
32 KB, 508x311
>>68945624
go to films
>>
Honestly if you weren't born into the industry or aren't Jewish you're fugged, unless you make a metric shitload of movies on your own
Good luck
>>
>>68945624
Just like how you get good at anything else in life, you keep on doing it until you're good at it and then you do it some more until you're the best of all time (desu)
>>
>>68945839
I keep hearing this. Why?
>>
>>68946038
Because you need to go to films.
>>
>>68945791
>>68945881
>>68945973
>>68945900
How does being Jewish relate to anything? Are you guys joking or is this serious?
>>
>>68946081
They're half joking
>>
>>68946038
cuz all you do is study and critique movies instead of actually fucking making them and toning your filmmaking skills

but going to a legit school will give you some great connections, buddy of mine at ucla works in the industry now although it's for shitty tv but hey it's a start
>>
File: 1452619814167.gif (58 KB, 132x140) Image search: [Google]
1452619814167.gif
58 KB, 132x140
>>68946104
>joking
>>
>>68945624
Fuck a producer
>>
>>68945624
Make some short films, and put them on youtube. If they're good enough, you might get hired to make bigger stuff. If nothing else, you might get e-celeb status.
>>
>>68945624
Buy a camera, google everything about directing and editing, post end product on Youtube. Repeat until you become good at it.
>>
One day when you are taking shit in toilet you decide to write down ur thoughts
>>
>>68946210
>half
>>
>>68945624
Have a big nose and curly hair, and then pretend to be jewish.

Do not under any circumstances say you're not jewish. Jason Biggs was mistaken for a jew for years until he mentioned he was Italian on Letterman (incidentally, he was correcting Letterman who casually said he was jewish).

Never worked again.
>>
>>68946142
this is completely wrong. learning film theory and studying the classics is largely optional.

but then again I don't know about american film schools.
>>
by watching flicks, just ask tarrantillo.
>>
First you make movies with your friends for fun. Then you actually try. Then you make music videos for local bands for free. You make some more movies. You make more music videos. You apply all your shit to every festival possible, start small in your community. If your shit is any good someone might hire you to film an ad. Now artists pay you for music videos. People pay you for ads. You try some documentaries. You win a local award. With all the money you have you try to make the best possible feature film you can make with real actors that you pay. Apply everywhere. Repeat the process. It might take 20 years or 6 months, depends on who you run into and who sees your work. You won't make any money till the last stage, you will constantly try just to cover your expenses. But it is all worth it in the end.
>>
>Save up money and practice.
>With a small budget create a well made indie film that uses its limitations as fresh new creative ideas.
>use the buzz and little earnings to create another great film
>get offered a job to direct the new studio blockbuster
>get shit on all over /tv/ for being a sellout

That's my goal.
>>
File: tax return.png (17 KB, 538x270) Image search: [Google]
tax return.png
17 KB, 538x270
Gee, I don't know OP.
>>
>>68945624
Direct films, you absolute fucking hack.

I'm shitty judging by my work but at least I fucking did something

https://youtu.be/K-XIm_r6EQs
>>
>>68946632

Nice flick
>>
File: Judge_Holden2.jpg (111 KB, 795x1005) Image search: [Google]
Judge_Holden2.jpg
111 KB, 795x1005
>>68946574
>make small indie movies
>get attention
>studio wants you to make low-budget broad-appeal movies
>make good deal of money
>completely fund your own dream movie that is mid-high budget and niche with extreme stylistic elements and violence, appealing only to those familiar with the source material or looking for something incredibly brutal
>doesn't make money back
>go back to making low-budget movies for studio
>>
>>68946632

>film noir music, cinematography, and attire
>modern day neighborhood and cars

Come on man are you even trying?

Also that homeless character was a really shitty actor. Otherwise I liked it. Nice stealing from Clue though, you're gonna get fucked on copyright infringement though!
>>
>>68946678
Fuck I just learned that Judge Holden was based on a real person.

Holy shit.
>>
>>68946735
Eh, that was partially intentional. Using it for sight gags and such. All the blatant product placement was fun to do to.

And yeah, I'll most definitely get fucked for copyright shit. All the music is stolen from Grim Fandango.
>>
>>68946847
The whole gang was real.
>>
>>68946081
joking
>>
>>68946653
Ayyy
>>
>>68946678
That's practically David Lynch.
>>
>>68946632
oh lord

>shitty lighting
>video-ey look
>shitty color grading
>times new roman

u wot m8

here's some tips that will definitely improve your footage

get a decent camera (gh3 or 4, blackmagic, canon/nikon dslr) with at least a bigger sensor and some dynamic range and shoot in RAW or flat/log mode

get one or two decent lenses with low f or T stops and an ND filter for nice shallow depth of field

learn how to color correct and grade while setting the white balance good from the get go or learn about color temperature

get some decent LED lights and a reflector

use a fucking shotgun mic for dialogue and make it blend with the background sound, dont record that with one mic
>>
>>68946038
>Why?

give me an example of 5 GREAT directors that went to "film school"
>>
>>68946632
>the black and white meme
>>
>>68945624
Be born jewish and rich.
>>
>>68946081
>>68946104
>>68947026
No. Not fucking joking. God damn, /tv/ has more kikes than /pol/. Not surprising.
>>
>>68947143
Praise

Thanks man. This actually was shot on a Canon 70D, but I understand what you're talking about there.

I've heard people are getting kind of sick of seeing student films with shallow depth of field, but I'll probably get some new lenses anyways.

I'll try and learn color grading.

The shotgun mic, we just plain forgot that shit, what I was wanting to do was work on cinematography.
>>
>>68947205
It's not like we were trying to be artsy like most student film faggots. There'd be a lot more tracking shots/shaky cam/pretentious monologuing if that were the case.
>>
File: laughing innarritu.jpg (77 KB, 1338x752) Image search: [Google]
laughing innarritu.jpg
77 KB, 1338x752
>Thinking you have to be jewish or rich to become a film director
>>
>tfw everyone is just guessing since there is no "right way" to get into hollywood.

its all connections, though. the more stuff you make/do, the more connections you get. hopefully leading you to someone that that actually has some power.

simple as that.

of course , be careful who you are indebted to. nothing is ever just free.
>>
>>68947311
Ok awesome. You can do some great stuff with that camera. Just get some good lenses and try not to let the light clip. Install Magic Lantern on the camera for more dynamic range.

And I know about the overuse of shallow dop. Just use it so its effective. And sound is really at least half as important as the image.

There are a lot of color grading tutorials on youtube and vimeo.

Good luck mate. Just keep doing it and doing it and doing it.
>>
>>68947246

redundant
>>
Go outside with a camera and shoot a bunch of shit you find interesting, then put it all together in a software. Boom, just like that, you are a film director.

If you are wondering how you become a "director" in the sense of being a person who handles sizable projects with a lot of people and money involved, there is no clear answer. To get to that point you need intense dedication, connections, and dumb fucking luck, often all three. There's only so much room at the top of the pyramid.
>>
>>68947598
Btw it would be awesome to have an indie filmmaker board.
>>
It's really really really hard to make the film the you exactly want in this day with studio involvement.

I dreamed of being an influential film director since I was 17, but now, at 21, I decided to abandon that dream. I'm going to become an entrepreneur and use the money I make to fund my movies myself. I do this to have complete control, the movies wouldn't make any money back but they would be fucking awesome movies.

I'm making short films now. In fact I just finished a film that I just submitted to a local short film festival that's tomorrow. I want to win the top prize in my category, that would be insane. Here's a link if you want to check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0lKN9Pfuyo
>>
>>68947179
Are you serious? All of them
Name 5 great directors that didn't
>>
>>68946632
awful

I bet you post in Letterbox General and owned that fedora and duster prior to filming this
>>
>>68947733
>dat ending
But how?
>>
>>68947598
Ay thanks famiglia

>>68947846
I don't, the fedora and duster were my buddy's.
>>
>>68948271
Forced perspective.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.