[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name a film with more complicated and hard to follow storytelling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (226 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
226 KB, 720x480
Name a film with more complicated and hard to follow storytelling than Primer
>>
I watched this movie 4 times in the span of a week or so when it first came out. I absolutely loved it. It does get really confusing at parts and you have to pay 100% attention the whole time. Still.... Im not even sure what truly happened.
>>
>>68896572
The Dark Knight Rises
>>
Begotten was pretty hard to follow but I think that's just because there wasn't much of a story at all. Just a lot of cheesy symbolism.
>>
>>68896661
It comes down to them both keeping secrets form one another.
>>
I needed to have Mulholland Dr. explained to me several times
>>
>>68896572

Only god forgives.

Possibly Cloud Atlas.
>>
>>68896572
From the thumbnail, I totally thought that was True Detective s1
>>
>>68897140
I thought it was Fight Club.
>>
>>68896572

Just because something is convoluted as shit does not mean it's complicated or hard to follow. There's a reason this film got lukewarm reviews yet internet LE EBIN SCI FI genrefaggot kiddies think it's some godsend.
>>
>>68897265
>don't make me think too hard
>good sci fi has lots of special effects
"genrefaggots" are people who actually like science fiction media, unlike most people who only watch science fiction if it has enough cgi and action scenes.
>>
>hard to follow story
>story
No, the plot is hard to follow but the story is quite simple.
>>
>>68896572
Apparently BvS
>>
>>68897489
autism
>>
>>68897113
cloud atlas is easy to follow
>all of the protagonists are linked together, reincarnation implied
>antagonists persist throughout the ages in different forms
>protagonists generally working towards freedom of humanity in their own specific ways
>>68897489
yeah the story is simple. to fully understand the plot, you have to understand the two components of it.

the first component is the actual mechanism of the time travel (which is thoroughly explained, but still hard to understand on the first watching) and the second component is the various ways in which they are changing the timeline (very difficult to understand without pausing and thinking about it).
>>
Fucking love primer so much this shit changed my life
>>
Comfy movie
>>
File: tv10.jpg (153 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
tv10.jpg
153 KB, 1024x768
>>68896572
Y'all watch this shit then comeback tell me what the fuck I saw
>>
>>68898223
Dark 'Alice's adventures in wonderland'-type escapism.

What was the song those dolls sing? That scene was legitimately unsettling.
>>
>>68897857

you really have to be lightheaded to be moved by such a meh movie.

it's not because it's trying to look smart that it is, you must love the films of christopher nolan.

it's average cinema pretending to be smart and complex, to hide mediocrity and total lack of naration, directing and creativity.
>>
>>68897265
>something is convoluted as shit does not mean it's complicated or hard to follow
but that's exactly what it means
>>
>>68898438
>it's average cinema pretending to be smart and complex, to hide mediocrity and total lack of naration, directing and creativity.
Are you telling us Primer is an average movie with lack of creativity, and other films like Force Awakens or any other LITERAL REMAKE that comes out every month is not?
>>
>>68898438
Uh okay. Faggot
>>
>>68898438
>lack of creativity
it has the most logical concept of time travel of any movie with time travel. I'm sure you love the terminator movies
>>
>>68898438
And it has great directing, faggot. Even with a reduced budget it's better than any blockbuster, full of imagery and creative shots.
>>
>>68897857
Just curious how this could possibly change your life. Did you make 45 body doubles of yourself afterwards?
>>
>>68897615
>i dont know that story and plot are not interchangeable
>better insult strangers to prove it
>>
>>68899223
He spent the party in the best way
>>
>>68899223
Convinced me it's important to study STEM developments

Some other key stuff I'm not gonna disclose
>>
I really didn't find Primer hard to follow. Inherent Vice got kinda murky at points but I loved it.

The Dark Knight Rises has the interesting property of making sense at a glance, but only becoming way more incoherent when you think about it.
>>
>>68899437
>The Dark Knight Rises has the interesting property of making sense at a glance, but only becoming way more incoherent when you think about it.
this applies to a lot of movies tho
>>
Persona
>>
Mr. Nobody
Cries & Whispers
Enemy
Inception
The Anvil Hoarder
>>
>>68898375
https://youtu.be/re-6eOhrejE
>>
>>68899510
>Inception
Explain
>>
>>68899510
>Inception is harder to follow than Primer
>>
>>68898814
>most logical concept of time travel of any movie with time travel
So none at all since time travel has no logic to it whatsoever.
>>
Best trailer.

https://youtu.be/3nj5MMURCm8
>>
>>68898583
He's right though. You can take Transformers, and juggle its scenes in a random order, making it extremely hard to follow. Would that make a movie complex?
Primer fails as a film because its just convoluted, as far as actual narrative depth goes its a piss poor story about two retards trying to use time machine in the stupidest way possible. Basically, Bill&Ted: No Fun Edition
>>
I wonder what would happen if you showed Primer to a typical Nolan fan who worships him as the intellectual they claim he is?
>>
>>68899558
Thats the one

>>68899596
Debatable, the major component of most time travel stories is causality, which is a logical concept. I think it was Triangle (2009) that some guy wrote a massive paper about that was some interesting reading
>>
>>68897195
This.
>>
>>68899697
Uhhh... no?
there's nothing random about primer, it's a linear narrative?
>>
>>68896572
It's about as complicated and hard to follow as Project Almanac.

>faggots discover how to travel back in time
>luls and life enhancing shenanigans await as long as we follow the rules
>oh no muh complications
>break rules
>consequences are had
>>
>>68896572
The Star Wars prequels
>>
>>68900200
>>this proves to be futile as Aaron has many copies of himself at once and is planning on creating a box sized room

What did he do with that room? That ending gave me blue balls.
>>
Zerkalo. That point of that movie went straight over my head, it kinda just happened and I enjoyed watching it.
>>
>>68900285
I think that the movie's plot ends with the last scene between the two of them at the airport and the ending is just an epilogue. what he did with the room is fully open to interpretation. his personal motivations were never really explained.
>>
File: eraserhead.jpg (35 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
eraserhead.jpg
35 KB, 400x600
well i finally went ahead and watched this.
not enough what in the world.
>>
It doesn't get confusing at all. The time travel is explained in layman's terms. From there the rest of the film follows very easily. Sometimes I wonder if this board is inhabited by a bunch of retards then I remember all the left wing mongs and capeshitters here probably bring the average IQ below 80
>>
>>68899697
Primer is not sequenced in a random order... you didn't understand the film if you think this.

Here's the structure of the movie:

>Two guys accidentally invent time travel
>Abe invents the actual device to go back in time, uses it
>They both start going back in time
>Aaron wants to abuse time travel while Abe realizes that time travel is too dangerous
>Abe tries to intentionally cause the original timeline to not exist by sedating his past self to prevent time travel from being discovered
>Aaron already intercepted his past self, and the timeline can't be fully restored due to this
>they try to reconcile, but they eventually part ways
>Abe tries to sabotage Aaron's attempts and preserve the "pure" version of himself that he created
>this proves to be futile as Aaron has multiple copies of himself at once and is planning on creating a room sized box
>>
File: download.png (10 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
download.png
10 KB, 284x177
>>
File: primer-chart.jpg (1 MB, 2791x1745) Image search: [Google]
primer-chart.jpg
1 MB, 2791x1745
>>68900543
full sized flowchart
>>
do you guys think it's possible that at the end of the movie Aaron wants to build a time machine out of an entire room purely for bigger physical comfort?

he seems like a pretty hedonist dude, especially with his preference for good steaks over long-term savings
>>
Upstream Color, unsurprisingly.
>>
>>68900813
he probably is building the time travel room in order to bring back more than himself. again his motivations are unknown, but it seems he wants to expand upon what they can currently do with time travel.
>>
>>68901101
when's his third film getting made? I've heard good things about the script but after reading it, the whole thing looks like pretentious shit
>>
>>68901101
I understood upstream color the first time I watched it, and I had to watch primer a couple times. This might be because I'm much better at biology in comparison to physics.
>>
>>68901211
I suppose it's just more difficult to understand due to its style rather than the course of the narrative.

Either way, I love both, but Upstream Color is a better movie. In fact its one of the best movies of the last 5 years.

>>68901185
You mean The Modern Ocean? Not sure. It's a shame that it stars Anne Hathaway. Wonder how Carruth will do with a big budget movie.
>>
Inland Empre
>>
>>68901274
No, A Topiary

https://indiegroundfilms.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/a-topiary-numbered.pdf
>>
>>68901456
A Topiary was cancelled famalam :(((
>>
>>68901456
Oh, A Topiary isn't getting made. But it's not pretentious shit, it's fascinating
>>
>>68896572
The story is easy to follow.

What's hard to understand is what's going on behind the scenes.
>>
>>68896572
The Big Sleep

I win.
>>
bump for thread save

because kino is more important than TIHSEPAC HUM<
>>
>>68896572
In terms of unseen basic exposition, BvS.
>>
I don't understand half of the movies on the market today. I watched skyfall, and then spectre and I had no fucking idea what was happening in either movie. I like my movies very simplistic plot-wise.
>>
>>68905031
Out of interest, what are you favourite movies?
>>
>>68905148
Drive, The Tree of Life, The Social Network, The Matrix, Badlands, Star Wars, Enemy, The Return, Earthlings, Only God Forgives, Signs, Pickpocket, Damnation, Ikiru, Bleeder, Pi, Polytechnique, Solaris
>>
>>68905350
nice, actually
>>
File: Inland Empire.jpg (195 KB, 1500x1124) Image search: [Google]
Inland Empire.jpg
195 KB, 1500x1124
this
>>
>>68899510
Enemy isn't too complicated once you figure out the symbolism behind everything. Not to mention pretty fucking great.
>>
>>68905350
Nice variety, I struggle to see how you would have problems understanding spectre or skyfall. Some of the movies you like show you're not entirely ignorant of subtleties or implications through film, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to follow something so run-of-the-mill
>>
>>68905537
What people don't get is Enemy is the story of a guy who goes around dressing as his own double in order to play a prank on his wife. Go re-watch the movie right now think about that, and everything will suddenly make sense.
>>
Last Year at Marienbad
>>
>>68905652
Tree of Life is complicated, but the plot is simple, there is no plot really it's just a man reflecting on his childhood. I can't really keep track of mystery/spy/crime films with complicated plots.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.