[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do many of you go to the movies alone?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: alone-at-the-movies[1].jpg (27 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
alone-at-the-movies[1].jpg
27 KB, 600x337
Do many of you go to the movies alone?
>>
I don't go to the theater all that often, but when I do I like to go alone. It's great. I can get drunk beforehand and no one judges me, I don't have to worry about finding multiple seats, I don't have to chat about the movie immediately after it gets out
>>
>>68876368
Once

Was just me and one other guy, the cinema staff asked us if we wanted to have a pause or not.
Went to get something to eat and drink and they continued it after i was done, shit was cash.

Also no screaming people or people trying to be funny.
>>
>>68876368
all the time. shit's pretty cool once you get over the awkward feeling the first time to try it.
>>
>>68876368

used to... and still would if i wasn't married

total immersion...no regrets
>>
I never thought of going out to see a movie as a social event anyway.

You spend most of the time ignoring the people you're with.
>>
I would think with all you nerds in full NEETdom, hanging out at a movie theater by yourself would be a slam dunk. I'm in that period of my life where I can do things alone, including watching a movie
>>
I kind of don't see what the stigma is all about. I'm a moderately social person and it's just inconvenient to wait for someone if all you want to do is actually watch the movie. Plus it's really peaceful. Is the opposition to doing this stemming from not wanting to be seen as a loner to other people? I'm not being facetious I just want to know the other side of the argument
>>
>>68876368
Your theatres don't have a no singles policy?
>>
File: 1394318291009.png (76 KB, 211x224) Image search: [Google]
1394318291009.png
76 KB, 211x224
>>68876408
>>68876913
>>68876959
>>68877034
>>68877066
>>68877075
>getting past the NSP

HOW?!!!!
>>
>tfw always take my sister to the movies all the time to not seem like a loner
>>
File: meme problem.jpg (17 KB, 434x403) Image search: [Google]
meme problem.jpg
17 KB, 434x403
>>68877126

fuck off and die
>>
something something something singles policy
>>
All the theatre around me have a single policy
>>
>>68876368
All memes aside, going to the cinema alone is one of the least awkward activities to enjoy alone. Everyone just sits down facing the same direction and shuts up for a few hours. No one will even notice you're by yourself.
>>
>want to actually enjoy the movie
>go during morning hours
>sit by myself at least a row away from anyone else

It's the perfect way to watch a movie. I don't want to deal with talking/cell phones/general bullshit.
>>
>>68877312
This. I was well in my twenties when I went to a movie by myself and I actually had anxiety about it because I had never done it before - always had people to go with or would wait until I did.

Enjoyed the movie, and realized the worry was silly; everyone was too occupied with their own things to care one way or another about me. I did not matter. And it was very freeing.

>And that was when the "no singles policy" attack dogs found me ;_;
>>
I do it all the time. What's wrong with it?
>>
>>68876368
I go to the movies alone all the time. Even if there is a slight stigma, I don't care, I'm going to see a movie if I feel like it.
>>
>Solo The Revenant, earliest showing that day
>no one but me and seniors citizens
>senile deaf asshole behind me keeps blurting out inane bullshit loudly while his wife keeps telling him to sssshhhhhh!

One of two solo experiences. I find it harder to tune out the people around me, if I go solo.
>>
>>68876368
today i was the guy in the middle except the couples. went to see elvis and nixon. everyone except me was an old fart.
>>
>>68877854
Same, I don't see why people are so insecure about going alone
>>
Awkward for the first 1-2 times you go but it's comfy as fuck afterwards.
Probably my favorite way to blow ten bucks and two hours.
>>
>>68877153
>>68877223
>>68877112
The fuck is this shit? If they pull this at a theater near me I'm pulling the fire alarm on the way out.
>>
I never went alone in high school, but since uni started you can never find a time that works for everyone within the first few days of opening.
And I don't want to go on friday or saturday nights because a crowded cinema means higher chances of shit audience members.
Life got better since I started seeing movies alone and in the morning.
>>
Twice. I saw the world's end after getting the date wrong and thinking my buddies would be there.

Again for BvS because I wanted to watch it and by myself was the only free time I had.

It's not a bad experience, but it sucks when you don't have someone to discuss the movie with right afterwards
>>
What alien world are some of you people from where going to a movie alone has a stigma? It's not a social thing, you're going there for the movie.
>>
>>68878523
It's a meme dude, its like Penis Inpection Day
>>
>>68876368
I almost always go alone and in the morning. The employees don't even care that I bring a fifth in as long as I get a giant tub of popcorn. It's the best time to go.
>>
I work at a movie theater and can catch shows for free so whenever I have some time before or after work I catch something if it looks good. So I often see stuff by myself
>>
>>68878655
There's a penis inspection day too!? This world has gone to hell.
>>
All the time.

I also make sure to go during times when not a lot of people are there (in the afternoon on a weekday) so there's a chance I'm the only person in the whole theater.
>>
>>68876368

All the time in Los Angeles. As long as I don't go at night, it's fine. I actually prefer a 1pm show to a 7pm show because it's cheaper and you can actually go do something afterwards. Singles only is a tired meme.
>>
>>68876368
Of course, who else am I suppose to go with?

Friends?

Fuck you
>>
>>68878655
Penis inspection is a requisite for admittance of singles at the theaters I frequent.
>>
File: 1441415153194.jpg (13 KB, 306x295) Image search: [Google]
1441415153194.jpg
13 KB, 306x295
>>68878833
>>
>>68876368
I've been going to the movies every Friday/Saturday for the past 2 years to convince my mother that I have friends. I wear a hat and a jacket so I can put it on an adjacent seat to take suspicion off of me, though I've never once had a problem going alone. I've actually noticed quite a few other people who've gone alone.
>>
>>68876368
I brought my kitten to see Keanu. It might have made her deaf and I feel bad. I forgot cats ears were like 20x more sensitive than ours.
>>
>>68878885
>I've actually noticed quite a few other people who've gone alone.
Dude, they are spies, they are spying on you, watch your back
>>
>>68878833

Yeah, you can't even bring your falcon when going alone to the movies. And one would think that after penis inspection you would be able to take a shower after the movie, but at my theater only couples are allowed inside
>>
>>68878803
I do the same. It makes movies so much more enjoyable. I got to see Deadpool all alone . The movie was pretty good but being alone made it a great experience.
>>
File: 1444019569114-0.gif (2 MB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1444019569114-0.gif
2 MB, 320x320
>>68878944
this>>68878885
You better watch yourself big guvment is after you
>>
>>68876368
Only for movies that require a watch. Whiplash was one of the fist movies I ever watched alone, the whole room was empty. I'm pretty sure they wanted to kick me out. Beautiful experience.

After that I saw Fury Road and Carol by myself. There's nothing shameful about it. I don't know anyone who would appreciate either of those movies and a grill would only be a distraction.
>>
File: 1363376989280.jpg (269 KB, 1095x1195) Image search: [Google]
1363376989280.jpg
269 KB, 1095x1195
>high school
>going on a real 'date' with girlfriend
>god damn these drinks and popcorn are expensive
>the movie we want to see is sold out
>see "Coach Carter" instead
>we're the only white people
>she's scared
>movie is actually fun
>next day
>read her xanga
>wrote a long blogpost about her fun date and how she loves me
>>
>>68879158
Pillows can't type, silly.
>>
>>68879228
Why would I buy a pillow popcorn? She's already stuffed.
>>
File: 1438470230233.jpg (19 KB, 242x320) Image search: [Google]
1438470230233.jpg
19 KB, 242x320
>>68879252
>>
>>68879158
>not "going to the movies" to sit in the corner and make out/fondle each other the whole time
>>
>>68879158
>>68879376
it's like a reverse monkey house where you're the exhibit
>>
I always go alone and at times when I know the theater is going to be practically empty. This is the best way to appreciate good movies.
>>
I go alone because my family is noisy and my friends are stupid normies that don't really give a shit about what they watch, and who usually want to drag me around after the movie ends, whereas I just want to go back home.

In any case, I hate going to the cinema. On one hand I'm going and I'm forced to watch movies in 3D surrounded by retards that won't stop eating and drinking; on the other I'm completely out of the loop if I skip going.
>>
>>68876368
I did it on the first Hobbit movie, felt pretty bad.
>>
>>68877126
>muh memes
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.