[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, no memes, I'm being serious here. Why exactly do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9
File: rTVmo6D.png (444 KB, 695x435) Image search: [Google]
rTVmo6D.png
444 KB, 695x435
Alright, no memes, I'm being serious here. Why exactly do people have a problem with the line "From my point of view, the Jedi are evil"? How difficult is it to comprehend the idea that not everyone sees the Jedi in the same light? To some, they may in fact look evil. Anakin was just laying out his opinion on the matter.
>>
>>68859999

because it sounds awkward as shit, especially given the environs, and the delivery is some of the worst i've ever heard on film
>>
File: 1445186597697.jpg (7 KB, 244x250) Image search: [Google]
1445186597697.jpg
7 KB, 244x250
>>68859999
>check'ed
>>
>>68859999
dubz of troot
>>
>>68859999
Because it sounds like something from a 15 year old's fanfic
>>
>>68860041
This about sums it up.
>>
>>68860041
Man, just because it's a lava planet doesn't mean it's someone's evil lair. From my point of view, ice planets are evil.
>>
>>68859999
>evil Jedi confirmed by quads
>>
>>68859999
Nobody has a problem with Anakin's point of view, its the line that's fucking retarded and infantile. And its not even Hayden Christiansen's fault, fucking nobody could salvage that horseshit dialogue that Lucas wrote.
>>
>>68859999
Nice quads.

I'll bite the bait: it's not about Anakin's beliefs. It's about the wording of the line and the delivery. It should have been something like:
>Palpatine is evil!
>He brought peace! And the Jedi could not stand it, so they attacked him!
(I'm not a good dialogue writer, mind that)
>>
>>68860041
>>68860121

this pretty much.

it kinda sounds like he had just learned the phrase "from my point of view" and decided to add it in, because he could.
>>
>>68859999
IN MY OPINION QUADS ARE EVIL
>>
You can't really claim your opponent is evil, and you're really in the right, having just murdered younglings.
>>
>>68860413
Why wouldn't he kill them? They'd already been brainwashed by the Jedi who are, from his point of view, evil.
>>
>>68860041

Write a better version of the line /tv/.

I'm struggling for something that isn't just as shit without wanting to do the entire conversation.
>>
>>68860627
There isn't a better way to do it. Its at least ten lines about the shittiness of the jedi order compressed into a single statement.
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 563x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 563x720
>>68860259
Fucking heresy.
>>
>>68860770
>adding text to autistic fanart makes a mene
https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer/
>>
>>68860627
"The Jedi (insert arguably evil thing the Jedi did here)! From my point of view, they are evil!"

Not difficult to make Anakin look like he's making a good point. I suppose some would argue he's not supposed to be, but the line wouldn't be in there at all if that were the case.
>>
>>68859999
Because Hayden can't make it sound good.

Like any of his other lines.
>>
>>68860752
RotS really needed more time. It seriously would have benefited from even an extra 30 minutes or so, but they had to cater to the casual Star Wars audience by making it "normie movie" length.
>>
>>68859999
The childish feeder line doesn't help...
Basically "Anakin, Palpatine's a poopy evil head"

A better response would have been...
"Palpatine didn't/ doesn't (a slightly skewed version of something the Jedi did/ are doing / want)"

I don't remember much of the plot so it's difficult to be specific.
>>
>>68860987
How did they even select this guy for the movie? It's obvious they have no trouble getting actual good actors, considering the casting of Ewan. So why Hayden?
>>
>>68860627
>Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil!
>He did more for me than you ever did!
>>
>>68861452
Damn, ice burn from Anakin. Obi-Wan won't recover from that one.
>>
It should be like " according to sith reports i've read jedi are evil"
>>
Lucas just wanted to add a pottery line to mirror obiwan in the original trilogy, like so many things in the prequels.
>>
>>68860627
>tell that to count dooku's decapited head
>>
It just sounds silly.

Though it will never reach my favorite meme line "Love can't save you Padme, only my new powers can do that"
>>
File: 1304376955947.png (457 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1304376955947.png
457 KB, 600x450
>>68859999
Because the guy saying it just killed children in the previous scene?
>>
>>68862390

jedi children, it'd be like murdering somali pirate children that were definitely going to grow up to be somali pirates.
>>
>>68860987
>>68861399
He's a perfectly good actor given shitty direction leave him alone dude
>>
>>68862463
Uh not sure how to respond to that so I won't
>>
>>68862481
From my point of view he's a great actor.
>>
>>68860041
Also he just killed a bunch of fucking kids
>>68860098
It's literally "TELL THAT TO ZOD'S SNAPPED NECK" tier
>>
>emotions running high
>Anakin has wiped out the Jedi order and murdered his wife
>Climactic duel to the death between master and student
>Anakin makes his final rejection of the Jedi
>From my point of view, the jedi are evil!

It's completely flat delivery like he's just casually disagreeing with Obi-Wan over local space politics. It's fucking terrible and you know it

Even a simpler, angrier, "NO, THE JEDI ARE EVIL!" would have been better
>>
>>68859999

We are to believe that Anakin genuinely believes the Jedi are staging an unlawful coup for power and that is why he thinks they're evil.

But for this to work Anakin has to be staggeringly stupid. And ignore that he just massacred a bunch of children.
>>
>>68863771
So you're saying the same line would have been good if he just yelled it angrily. I agree, actually. Obi-Wan's next line was really well delivered because he sounded like he had finally completely given up on Anakin.
>>
>>68863862
Please be a troll...
>>
>>68863930
I think he's quibbling with the conversational sounding phrase 'from my point of view', and he's right, something along the lines of 'it's the jedi who are evil' would be better, though still lame

Surely though, the main reason the line is shit is because there's literally no reason to call the jedi evil. Even Palpatine doesn't try to convince him of that. The line simply does not make sense.

lastly, it is just an elaborate way of saying NO U

It is a line that is terrible on multiple levels
>>
>>68859999
it's beating the audience over the head with something we already know by that point in the film
>>
>>68860148
tell that to Zod's snapped neck
>>
>>68864185
>No reason to call the Jedi evil

Uhhh, there are plenty of reasons. They take children from their families when they're young, they were fine with the production of a slave army and letting them die on a whim, they were spying on the leader of the Republic (rightfully so, but Anakin didn't know that) who was a close friend of his, they even tried to assassinate him.

Not to mention willingly commanding a military force who's soul purpose was to destroy anyone who didn't agree with the Republic.

The Jedi are, in a lot of ways, as bad as the Sith. Just differently.

THAT is the god damn point of the birth of Darth Vader. Not the single event of Mace Windu trying to murder the Chancellor.
>>
>>68859999
Because it's literally been two days since he suddenly and mysteriously jumped across to this new mindset.
>>
>>68864546
I thought it was like 7 hours or something
>>
File: 1455264625962.jpg (69 KB, 578x960) Image search: [Google]
1455264625962.jpg
69 KB, 578x960
>>68859999
>no memes
>he brings the quads
>>
>>68864185
>lastly, it is just an elaborate way of saying NO U

But NO U is a very good conversation ender.
>>
>>68864503
>They take children from their families when they're young

With permission though. The rest of your points are good.
>>
>>68859999
Think about what has happened in the movies, the Jedi did absolutely nothing to him. Why would he suddenly decide they were evil instead of at worst misguided?
>>
File: 1402603048965.jpg (38 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
1402603048965.jpg
38 KB, 500x334
Most of the people in this thread are missing the point of why it's bad.

It has nothing to do with whether the jedi are evil, or morally ambiguous, or whatever.

It's entirely that the line sounds like a college freshman essay and is delivered in the worst possible way under a director that is awful at directing actors.

>In my point of view, the Jedi are evil
is seriously shit you 18 y/o level shit. It's academic sounding in a juvenile way.

A better alternative would simply be:

>Anakin, Palpatine is evil.
>The Jedi are evil!
>>
File: dobles porfavor.jpg (123 KB, 719x575) Image search: [Google]
dobles porfavor.jpg
123 KB, 719x575
>>68859999

>no memes
>>
>>68859999
I don't get it either.

In ESB Obi-Wan literally says to Luke
>So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view

Nobody has a problem with that.
>>
>>68865065

I've read worse
>>
>>68861452
That's actually pretty good considering Lucas couldn't make a convincing friendship between the two of them
>>
>>68859999

>on the matter.

STOPPED READING RIGHT THERE
>>
>>68865179
From my point of view, Darth Vader killed your father!
>>
>>68859999
Because nothing that Anakin experiences during the OT should suggest to him that the Jedi are evil.

Ineffective, maybe, but not evil
>>
>>68865352
How about when Sheev said that if they attack the senate and try to take it over they're evil and then they fucking try to do that?
>>
From my point of view the Jedi are evil!
>Even the 8-year old younglings you slaughtered without provocation? They were also evil?
Also, wasn't his motivation supposed to be that he simply wanted to learn the secret for saving Padme? Over the course of like 2 hours he goes from "we need to stop this Sith Lord" to "I will obey this Sith Lord to the death even if it means killing children and my best friend, and even though he never taught me the secret of cheating death"

Shit writing tbqh
>>
>>68865179
Return of the Jedi and that line has been mocked tons. The main difference is that line was not in the climax of the movie and it was delivered appropriately. His hesitation and body language all say he knows he lied but it was justified for him. It also was part of a longer speech, not just a childish one liner
>>
>>68860627
>The jedi left my mother to die as a slave! From point of view they are the ones who are evil!
Just give him a reason to say it and be so angry
>>
>>68859999
Anyone that doesn't understand this is a complete fucking idiot. Anakin has had beef with the way the jedi do things since he was a teenage, it shows in half his dialogue in episode two. He has witnessed things such as : The way the Jedi impose their will wherever they just show up and tell you whats good for you, how they completely agreed with the senate to not act on the Naboo invasion and it took a grey Jedi and his padawan to do it themselves, how they blindly supported a clearly corrupted senate but it was okay because we are the badass jedi so they actually listen to us( obviously didn't happen), how the jedi constantly repeat that the darkside is bad just because they use their emotions with zero other valid reasons. The Jedi are assholes, they tell you whats good for you, tell you who the bad guy is with no explanation, and when the sith attack the power hungy republic that allows things like slave trade on the outer planets (the huts) they turn them into the bad guys.
>>
>>68861452
That's a good one.
>>
>>68860627
>The Jedi are a lie! Hiding in the dark. >They're no better than the Sith!
>And people still think the Jedi are heroes.
>Why couldnt they save my mother then?
>Why DIDN'T they save her?
>>
>>68860627
>The Jedi are nothing but a group of sterile old cockblockers!
>>
Because if Anakin believes the Jedi are evil then he should say that they are evil

By adding from my point of view, he's taking away the impact of the statement and diminishing it to a mere opinion that you're free to disagree with instead of a statement of categorical fact

Not to mention there's been no reason presented for him to all of a sudden believe the Jedi are evil
>>
>>68866075
That's all implied but never stated and in many ways the movie works against that conclusion being drawn
>>
>>68860851
>>68863771
>>68865065
>>68865910

Jesus fucking christ none of you should pursue a career in writing. Every one of these was 10x worse than the actual line.

The only one even moderately decent sounding in conversation has been >>68861452 but it's still dumb because it's Anakin completely ignoring the point and acting like a dumb child "WELL YOU DIDN'T LOVE ME ENOUGH." At least Lucas' line addresses Obi-Wan directly.

Straight up THE JEDI ARE EVIL is even more amateurish than the line you guys are criticizing. I honestly don't know how you guys think it sounds better.

>>68866332
>By adding from my point of view, he's taking away the impact of the statement and diminishing it to a mere opinion that you're free to disagree with instead of a statement of categorical fact

What's wrong with that though? He clearly felt conflict finding out who Palpatine was and having to do these things. So it brings the idea that maybe Anakin recognizes that what he does isn't righteous but he sees the Jedi as the worse overall evil of the two and Palpatine's ultimate goal, despite paved by a road of questionable decisions, has a beneficial outcome.

You see some more of this in the Clone Wars in I believe the episode Anakin meets Tarkin and also I think the Lords of the Sith book they talk about how Anakin agrees with the idea of the only way to truly bring peace is through forced order.
>>
>>68860627
It should just be "THE JEDI ARE EVIL!"

its obvious its from his pov, and it'd sound a whole lot more natural considering the rage-fueled lava-duel he was in
>>
>>68865261
Using my point of view, I chopped off your fathers limbs and left him to slowly burn to death. I was a good friend from my point of view
>>
>>68866477
Dude you say "in my opinion" if you're trying to be polite or avoid conflict

You do not go "well in my opinion you're evil" so now I have to kill you
>>
>from my point of view the younglings are evil"

Seriously what was George Lucas thinking
>>
am i the only one that loved RotS? it came out when i was 10 and edgy anakin was such a badass
>>
File: pinnoch.gif (456 KB, 480x361) Image search: [Google]
pinnoch.gif
456 KB, 480x361
ITT: Retards criticize Anakin's lack of explanation for "in my opinion" not remembering Anakin does just that

>Don't lecture me, Obi-Wan! I see through the lies of the Jedi. I do not fear the dark side as you do. I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to my new Empire.
>>
File: hr.png (9 KB, 462x467) Image search: [Google]
hr.png
9 KB, 462x467
>>68861452
Oh shit, that's actually really good.....
>>
>>68865788
Only people with shit taste hate RotJ. It was a genuinely good movie.
>>
>>68859999

Terrible plot, terrible characters and the last entry in a truly underwhelming and awful trilogy which was very clearly a soulless and vapid toy commercial. Not unlike the constant Marvel movies we are getting now. No wonder Lucas sold SW to them.
>>
>Only a Sith deals in absolutes
>From my point of view, the Jedi are evil

doesnt sound very absolute to me
>>
>>68860627
BY MY RIGHT OF SUCCESSION AND THE SOVEREIGNTY OF MY SITH STATUS, I HEREBY RELIEVE YOU OF YOUR COMMAND AND SUSPEND YOUR JEDI FROM SERVICE
>>
>>68867148

And ultimately Anakin was never fully committed to the Sith and came back to the light.

Pottery.
>>
>>68867148
>Only a Sith deals in absolutes

this has to be the most retarded line ever spoken
>>
>>68866516
This. Maybe also a "you're evil!" just to show how fucking confused and angry he is
>>
>>68867308

Do you honestly think that doesn't sound like shit.
>>
>from my logical point of view I believe the Jedi are evil, because being good is dumb
>>
>>68867386
The jedi are evil! Youre evil. Fuck you! I hate you!
>>
>>68866477
This is a very bad post.

In writing dialogue, the line itself is less important than the context it's in and the subtext it delivers. >>68861452 is good particularly because it avoids addressing Obi-Wan's argument directly; instead, it contrasts Palpatine (he) and the Jedi (you) using Anakin (me) as the fulcrum. It essentially communicates the exact same information as "from my point of view the Jedi are evil" except it does so in a way that feels a) natural and b) not hella gay.

Also, Anakin in that moment is hella wroth and under extreme stress. No one in that state of mind would ever express a thought by beginning with "from my point of view..."

Anyway, the worst thing about Anakin's line is that it has to follow Obi-Wan's, which is in itself even dumber (it's a testament to Ewan McGregor's ability that no one ever has a problem with that line).
>>
>>68859999
>the delivery (which was probably Lucas's horrible directing)
>it sounded like a child's response
>it didn't even make sense really, you could say the Jedi were wrong, or misguided, evil is a bit of a stretch

>>68867273
Considering it in itself is an absolute statement, and by the time of Episode I Lucas made the retarded idea of the rule of two. I doubt there was only two people in the universe at any given time dealing in absolutes.

>>68865382
Which was after Sheev already admitted to Anakin that he was the Sith lord. And After Anakin told Mace Dindu who Anakin knew would go and arrest him.
If Lucas wasn't such a massive hack, he wouldn't have made Anakin both aware that Sheev was a Sith and personally responsible for sending the Jedi to arrest him. Like if Anakin just walked into the room with no idea of what was going on and saw Mace standing over Sheev trying to kill him the story would have made slightly more sense.

Instead, Anakin knew what Mace was doing and why he was doing it, because Anakin was the one that told Mace. Then Sheev is like "see they are trying to take over!!"

Fuck everytime, I think about any scene in the shitquels it pisses me off.
>>
>>68861452
He'd still be wrong though.
>>
>>68867148
>doesnt sound very absolute to me

Maybe because ANAKIN WASN'T ENTIRELY EVIL AND THAT'S WHY HE BETRAYED PALPATINE IN THE END? WHOAAA DUDE, SO HARD TO COMPREHEND STAR WARS
>>
>>68867273
>>68867148
It is.
Lucas has ANakin quote Bush who is actually quoting Jesus. Then Obi-Wan criticizes Jesus basically. Lucas by the way is a christian thus really just not a smart well read guy.
>>
>>68869987
Or maybe Lucas is on Anakin's side??? Hence why he made six movies about him?????? Ever thought of that????????????
>>
>>68860105
the rebel were on Hoth, the rebel are the ISIS of Star Wars Univers

Ice planet confirmed to be evil
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.