[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this so popular? I thought we're supposed to be in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4
Why is this so popular? I thought we're supposed to be in the golden age of television but this, legends of tomorrow, super girl, arrow, doctor who are sub-par in almost every aspect...they remind me stargate sg-1 quality which was acceptable 10 years ago but not today
>>
>>68858722
Why exactly? Flash, I think, has good acting and acceptable graphics whenever it turns to muh CW romance.

You could say that it sucks how pretty much every problem is solved with "Barry, remember, you can run fast", but it's still enjoyable to watch if only for Tom Cavanagh's villains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXU3r8DYG8I
>>
There are absolutely no rules regarding his powers. The writers just do as they please with them.
>>
the flash is great and SG1 is amazing fuck you nerd
>>
>>68858722
>Good acting, some even great.
>Great CGI for a small TV station.
>It doesn't take itself too seriously and embraces it's comic lore.
>Likeable heroes and villains.

Now the show ain't even close to perfect. It's CW level writing after all. But what it does right, it does really right, so the positives outweigh the negatives by a lot.
>>
>why do people like things I don't like
>>
It's entertaining and, despite its shortcomings, it has a lot of heart put into characterization and performances.

Plus, it doesn't present itself as anything but blockbuster in serialized form. It doesn't aspire to do anything but be fun, so people know what they're getting, and are happy with what they get.

It's a good show.
>>
>>68859627
It is better-written than half of the superhero movies out there.
>>
>>68859141
>You could say that it sucks how pretty much every problem is solved with "Barry, remember, you can run fast"

But that's what the comics are like, too...
>>
>>68858722
>The Flash
>Subpar

Pick one
>>
>>68859764
Sadly, true.

Wellsobard the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gDm_n7r-So
>>
>>68858722
there is no hope for you op. The flash is the best comic book tv show out there. It's just fun. To date there hasn't been a dud episode.
If you think this show is sub-par you have no fuckign clue.
>>
>>68859627
>CW level writing

This is my biggest complaint about Flash and Arrow (never seen the other DC shows). They're so infuriatingly "CW-like." The actual superhero stuff is cool, but every character interaction in between the setpieces is just this obnoxious tween soap opera CW shitfest that I can't stand.
>>
>>68859826
So, yeah. Not even that much of a problem, though I heard from some people that Barry and Wally from the comics were smarter than this show's Barry Allen.
>>
>>68859716
I think the King Shark episode was the best yet, especially for a filler episode.

>Lot's of Shark screentime
>Barry improvises the way to defeat him without Wells whispering into his ear
>Zoom Reveal

This episode proved that Flash can be good even without Wellsobard.
>>
>>68859938
Barry was. Mostly because he worked alone so he came up with all the SCIENCE himself. But he had thought bubbles to help him through the story, in a live-action serialized format it wouldn't work.

Wally is of average intelligence, though as he grows older he becomes knowledgeable of a bunch of speed tricks.

I honestly don't mind CW Barry being just pretty smart, though I'd like they have him come up with his own plans more.
>>
season 1 of the flash is absolutely god-tier and it's mainly due to the main villain who I genuinely believe to be one of the best villains ever on tv, and I guess the general introduction of the flash, his powers and time shenanigans along with other smaller villains was hype as fuck, I was so fucking excited for every new episode

season 2 on the other hand is a huge disappointment and feels like it's mostly typical cw drama, not only did they completely fuck up hunter zolomon's character but they also made him some mediocre edgy villain played by a somewhat uncharismatic actor, and the whole concept of the multiverse turned out to be really uninteresting, or at least underplayed in practice
>>
It's fun and comfy, a solid adaptation of the comic with a nice tone. Cavanagh's great, particularly in S1.
>>
>>68859826
>>You could say that it sucks how pretty much every problem is solved with "Batman, remember, you can punch harder"

>You could say that it sucks how pretty much every problem is solved with "Iron Man, remember, you build something better"

>You could say that it sucks how pretty much every problem is solved with "Captain America, remember, you can throw your shield harder"
>>
>>68858722

Basically we're not in the golden age of television, the only thing good about today's time are the ways we can access media from various ways other than a television.
>>
>>68859892
>To date there hasn't been a dud episode.

Let's not go that far. The bees episode is a blemish in an otherwise pretty spotless track record.
>>
>>68860068

No one was talking about Marvel.
>>
>>68860042
You're acting as if Hunter Zolomon wasn't edgy in the comics already with his "the only way to make the Flash a better hero is to KILL EVERYTHING HE LOVES".
>>
>>68860136
Neither am I. Notice Batman is there.

Everyone superhero conflict can be boiled down to "hero, remember you can X harder to win".
>>
>>68858722
Flash is entertaining but certain aspects of it got old quick. I still watch and enjoy it. Arrow's first season was great, second was fantastic, then it fell off. I haven't even finished the first half of Arrows new season because I'm bored of it. I don't care about LoT and though I like Capaldi, I lost all interest in doctor who. I think its because I'm tired of all the bullshit ''progressive'' agenda BBC shoves in everything, and its getting worse. Wouldn't care if it wasn't so blatant and obvious. By 2020 the doctors companion will be a gay trans black muslim woman that viewers won't be able to understand what she is saying because she will have a severe case of down syndrome and you are a bigot if you don't think thats a watchable program.
>>
>>68860223

Except Superman. His problems are solved with "Superman, remember you just literally can't lose even if you try." Even when he dies he just comes back to life with no effort on his part.
>>
It's ok, silly but fun, with some good production values and a tone that stay close to the source material. Also the romantic subplots that are usually the trademark of CW shows are completely secondary now, losing gradually importance since S1 in favour of weird but fun time-travel/dimension absurdities, which is fine.
Still I'm not comfortable with scientists and people doing scientific things that just stand in front of a computer dressed up like they are going clubbing, but still, it's CW, could be worse.
>>
File: 4574627-1670512174-Zoom_.jpg (321 KB, 971x695) Image search: [Google]
4574627-1670512174-Zoom_.jpg
321 KB, 971x695
>>68860190
well yeah he was kind of an ABSOLUTE FUCKING PSYCHO type, but he was also flash's friend whereas in the show him and barry have no real connection apart from their short time together when his time remnant was rusing team flash (this whole gimmick was fucking retarded by the way)

my biggest complaint is the way they presented his powers, he's literally just a speedster with blue lightning while he's meant to be this weird motherfucker who can manipulate time around him and doesn't even technically use the speed force, his speech was also really unique and messed up due to time being fucked up around him

it just feels like such a wasted opportunity
>>
>>68860107

You are right I forgot about that. But at least the bees didn't turn into Beeman as they did in Arrow.
>>
>>68859896
Arrow's gone to shit because of poor writing in general, even when they try to do superhero stuff.

>John! Just because Laurel's dead doesn't mean we can act like villains! You have to be better than them John!
>When I find Damien I'm gonna stab the cunt I swer on me island murder him dead
>>
>>68860371
They're already used the "the man closest to you is your enemy" gimmick, so I don't mind. And the time remnant thing was a bit gimmicky, but it made sense. It wasn't all that difference from SPEED MIRAGES last season.

And while I would've liked to see time warping Hunter, I don't mind him being a corrupted speedster and that blue lightning is aesthetic as fuck.

Honestly, the only creative decision I actually objected to in regards to Hunter was his demon face being just a mask. I really liked the concept of a dude who was literally molten into Speed Force.
>>
>>68860190
Kill everything he loves to make him a better here is a metric fuckton less edgy than kill everything everyone loves because... because.
>>
>>68860068
Yeah, but it got sort of ridiculous on the Flash. There was no reason he couldn't just outrun the rays from Cold and Heatwave's guns when he was able to evade any and all bullets beforehand. He learned sonic-punch in episode 1, never used it again. Needed Wells to make up most plans for him.
>>
>>68860242
Flash season 1 is indeed formulaic, with Wells's plot scenes being the only thing breaking the formula and making you want to stay for the next episode. Season 2 didn't have the old Wells, but it also (mostly) broke the formula and experimented with plots a bit more.
>>
>>68860534
Not really. He speed-aborted Flash's babies and bragged about it, then beat up an old man and used him as a hood trinket on his souped-up time-travelling treadmill. Hunter is really only outedged by Inertia, who literally shook a baby to death for giggles.

And Hunter doesn't want to kill everything and everyone. He's trying to conquer the Multiverse.
>>
>>68860368
>Also, working on a computer is done without a mouse, and Felicity is able to hack faster than Cisco by typing gibberish on her keyboard.
>>
>>68860371
I still hope they'll make Earth 1 Hunter a character in his own right, a friend of Wally that turns into Reverse Flash II in the later seasons.

Funny. Professor Zoom is the Reverse Flash and is usually called "Zoom", and the Second Reverse Flash is just "Zoom", so RF=Zoom in the comics, but in this show RF is never called Prof.Zoom and Zoom is never called RF.

So... What if, in reverse to the comics, not just RF and Zoom are separate, but also Professor Zoom as well? The fact that Wells-2 acts more like Wellsobard than the Real Wells seems fishy to me...
>>
File: 1318560781002[1].jpg (113 KB, 389x251) Image search: [Google]
1318560781002[1].jpg
113 KB, 389x251
>>68860675

>he doesn't use a minimalist window manager to exclusively navigate his OS with terminal windows for maximum efficiency
>>
>>68860642
Zoom's trying to conquer the multiverse for shits and giggles. Not because he thinks he can make it better or he believes he has a right to it or anything like that, just because, in his words, he likes giving things hope so he can rip it away.

Hunter's an edgy little psychopath, sure, but there's a reason to what he does. It doesn't justify what he does, but there's a method in the madness. He believes in what he's doing, despite it being all kinds of fucked up.

Zoom is just spreading destruction and fear for the sake of it. Senseless evil is as edgy as it gets. Someone who performs evil deeds because they believe they have to is never as edgy as someone who does so because they want to have a giggle.
>>
>>68860833
Hunter's ideology, in-universe, was pretty much a flimsy excuse he threw around to fuck shit up.

And there is also a method to CW Hunter's madness, even if it is the basic "shit happened to me and the world didn't give a fuck, so now I'm paying back in kind".
>>
>>68860486
CW shows always introduce the answer to the "twist" during the season's filler events and flashbacks. Season 2 introduced alternate Earths and time remnant shenanigans. Yet, a lot of plebeians thought that Zoom killed his twin. In a series with time travel and alternate Earths - a twin.
>>
>>68860819
Teach me how to hack by typing gibberish then senpai.
>>
>>68860912
I love reading old theories.

Before episode 15, people speculated Wells was

>Barry from the future
>Metron
>Pariah
>A OC version of the Chief.
>Not the Man in Yellow but working with him.

Likewise people though Zoom was

>Eddie
>Patty
>E2 Barry
>E2 Henry
>E2 Joe
>E2 Wally
>E2 Eddie
>Thawne
>>
>>68860486
Yeah the mask made me think he had just become this supernatural entity. I didn't really care about who he used to be or who he is, because it doesn't really matter. It's more about his purpose in the show.

Now we have this Jay Garrick plot tacked on which feels like it was a last minute decision made a few episodes ago.

It just feels like a rehash of finding out who the man in yellow was but no where near as well done.
>>
>>68860960

http://hackertyper.com/
>>
>>68860889
Still, a serial killer? Should have made him a vigilante, who sort of grew into being a serial killer, like reverse Oliver.

>"Monster? Why, I thought myself a hero. Offed my dad's 'heroic' friends from the army. Then the kind caretakers of my orphanage. A corrupt cop or two. But, see, Cait, killing people is such a funny thing - you start it, you just can't stop."
>"You and Barry have killed too, right? The meta-humans I sent from Earth 2, they never came back. Good to see you are taking those lost lives well; we STILL have something in common."
>>
>>68861151
Wouldn't mind this, but don't mind the serial killer angle, either. Especially since Zoom is way more a mish-mash of various evil speedsters rather than a 1:1 adaptation.
>>
The last two episodes were purely plot-contrived nonsense. The entire situation regarding Barry losing his speed was the most cringe-worthy piece of television I've seen all year. Everyone and their mother was facepalming as Barry willingly gave up his speed even though he was faster than zoom and wally was already released.

Then they follow that up with the most absurdly generic "superhero loses his powers" episode where the whole time I'm simply wondering "why does nobody just shoot him?" Meanwhile I guess they got bored with the whole "Iris is a reporter" subplot and she's basically been awkwardly clicking around in her heels for 5 episodes doing jack shit like the writers don't know what the fuck to do with her. Sometimes the flaws in the CW's writing format-basically making it up as they go along-really crush any semblance of continuity and it's ripe with plot holes. It honestly feels like they ran out of ideas and have just been dragging the second half of this season along until they meet their quota. It's been some of the worst television all year recently.
>>
>>68861052
>Not the Man in Yellow

Oh, yeah, this was big. Nobody could believe that he's the RF even though multiple episode endings showed him with the suit.

>Patty

Hah, remember that too. Well, it was sort of useless to speculate on Zoom back then, when there was zero hints, but after "Jay" said that "Zoom didn't actually take his speed, it was all Velocity" it immediately cast a shadow on Zoom's whole motive (if "Jay" told us that Zoom's MO is stealing speed, because he did that on him, but Zoom never stole it, how would "Jay" know that Zoom is a speed-stealer specifically?)
>>
>>68861260
He wasn't faster than Zoom, though.

It was contrived because it lacked explanation, but honestly, I've seen WAY worse.
>>
>>68858722
Flash is mediocre but comfy to watch, I really loved Zooms costume and character.
>legends of tomorrow, super girl, arrow
Those are horrible. LoT has a cast full of CW rejects. Supergirl is bland and generic and Arrow should have ended 2 seasons ago.
>>
>>68861090
Teddy Sears said that he was hired to play a villain from the very start.

However, Berlanti also said they would "never make Jay Garrick a villain, keep watching". So Iron Mask Guy is probably the Real Jay that Zoom stole the identity from, though he may not even look like Teddy Sears (otherwise, what? More time travel, or the Revenge of the Twin Theory?)
>>
>>68861315
But he was. They established that by A)Barry reaching Star Labs way before Hunter got there
and B)Barry running circles around Hunter and kicking his ass before the plot demanded he escape.
>>
>>68861260
Zoom could kill everybody in the room before Barry could stop him, though.

However, the solution would be for everyone to just move out of Star Labs and let Barry handle Zoom and Wally alone.
>>
>>68858722
It's liked because it stars the Flash.
If this was just an OC show with no connections to comics it would crash and burn. I like the show but it's only because I'm willing to look past its flaws since it stars the Flash
>>
>>68861393
Hunter tapped into THE DARKNESS and got faster again.
>>
>>68861509
Flash has interesting mythology and WB actually gives the team money to deliver quality stuff most of the time.

For example, they had used a lot of their old budget to create a minute-long appearance of King Shark at first. WB looked at it and said: "Here's the money, make a whole episode with this guy". And it was cool.
>>
>>68861383
I imagine they'll add some shades of Max Mercury into the real Jay. Also, Sears probably isn't playing him, he's a regular on the "24" reboot over at Fox.
>>
>>68861552
See: plot-contrived
>>
>>68861357
LoT is pretty fun because of its self-awareness. It's like 60s Batman with a budget, with Ray's quips and fuck-ups, Stein's FASCINATION, Sarah's "not giving a shit" and of course...

C O L D
O
L
D
>>
>>68861580
None of that stops it from being a CW show with CW writing. Like I said I like it and I look past its flaws because it stars the Flash but at the end of the day it'sa CW show. Without the Flash brand this show would have 0 following
>>
Why can't /tv/ just like popular things?
>>
>>68859414
>There are absolutely no rules regarding his powers.
When wasn't this the case with Flash?
>>
>>68861781
Because of high school bullying.
>>
>>68858722
Nerds have shit taste. Watch real television.
>>
>>68858722
The worst parts of the show are the final villain fights. So clunky and illogical. The only decent CW show is Supernatural.
>>
>>68861901
Zoom didn't have a final villain fight yet, and RF had to be distracted and beaten by three different superheroes.
>>
File: 1311603778372.jpg (91 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
1311603778372.jpg
91 KB, 323x323
>>68859141
>Flash, I think, has good acting and acceptable graphics
>has good acting
>and acceptable graphics
>>
>>68862978
For a capetv, it's alright, Solo.
>>
>>68858722
>they remind me stargate sg-1
you lost me mate, stargate sg-1 is ten times better than the shit you listed and it was a cable tv series with low budget.
>>
>>68862978
It does.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.