[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
just saw this for the first time, holy. i've never seen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10
File: UC_Poster_for_store_800x800-2.png (355 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
UC_Poster_for_store_800x800-2.png
355 KB, 800x800
just saw this for the first time, holy. i've never seen a movie so painfully pretentious and utterly boring.

nobody here actually likes this right? if so, why?
>>
>>68834102
>he didn't get it
>>
I think Civil War is more your speed
>>
>>68834102
If you didn't get it that's on you, not the film. It's really not even that hard to understand dude.
>>
>>68834102
I think you forgot to explain why you didn't like the movie. You sound like a faggot who didn't get it.

>he's butthurt

No, but you're not going to get a good discussion from "It's boring and pretentious! Who even likes this!"

Use your words. God gave you the ability to think. Now tell us why you didn't like it.
>>
>>68834136
>>68834174
>>68834206
>>68834213
welcome reddit
>>
>ywn drug a qt girl and have her become your slave
>>
>>68834251
>he's offended other people are making fun of him
>for not understanding upstream color
nice dude.
>>
>>68834102
Breaded you're a pleb
>>
>>68834282
explain to me why you like this movie
>>
>>68834213
>>68834206
>>68834174
>>68834136
you're not smarter than OP just because you saw a movie
>>
>>68834290
It's beautiful, it's an inherently visually told story, and it's one of the coolest and most human sci-fi stories i've seen in a while.
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 152x152) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 152x152
>>68834289
>>
>>68834335

How was it visually told? Just because there's not much dialogue doesn't mean it's visually told.
>>
>>68834102
its a fairly straightforward scifi homage to malick

its great but not for everybody (could be said barely for anyone)
>>
>>68834294
You're right, I'm smarter than OP AND I saw a movie.
>>
>>68834365
the fact that there is ZERO expository dialogue and yet we know there is a plot and what the plot is about means its telling a visual story
>>
>>68834365
>just because the only storytelling featured was visual doesnt mean it was visually told
>>
>>68834102
I like it
>>
This thread a perfect representation of what /film/ is gonna be like

Dear god it is gonna be shit
>>
OP this is an art film

By definition their appeal window is limited, as its not crafted to appeal to as many people as possible but to convey an emotional state.

That it is also a sci fi film means it also makes you work extra to tie in the threads that make up the story since you need to be able to identify and understand the sci-fi tropes as they are never explained at all.

Basically it has a very narrow audience. If you aren't part of that audience you don't need to feel bad about it.
>>
>>68834102
I agree OP, fuck shane carruth in his feminine asshole
>>
>>68834579
If /film/ is going to consist of putting plebes in their place, count me in.
>>
>>68834588

>people who are part of its audience lie about being part of the audience to talk down on people on an anonymous image board

yikes
>>
>>68834365
This retarded anon brings up a fair point that the movie was also sonically told since sound plays such an important part in the plot
>>
I "get" this movie and what it's attempting to do. It doesn't make it good.
>>
I agree, this art-flick is fucking garbage for pretentious hipsters.
>>
>>68834670
>film is an audio visual medium
HOLY FUCKING SHIT STOP THE MOTHERFUCKING PRESSES!
>>
>>68834579
this

the discussions are gonna be bad
>>
>>68834768
That's what I meant, retarded anon.
>>
>>68834251
Welcome GEN Y
>>
>>68834294
Not saying I am at all. I just want him to explain why he doesn't like it without sounding like a fucking teenager. Go back to your /got/ thread.
>>
File: tarkovsky.jpg (264 KB, 736x875) Image search: [Google]
tarkovsky.jpg
264 KB, 736x875
>>68834748
>art-flick
>pretentious
>hipsters
isnt it past your bedtime?
>>
>art film with a legit following
>viewer doesn't like it
>wasted nothing but time to see it since its brriped on any torrent tracker
>still gets mad that other people did like it and attacks them

these people are worst kind of cancer this board has, they have nothing but "boring" and "pretentious" to use as criticism and instead ask people to explain why they liked it

its like those "pls prove god doesnt exist" threads on /b/
>>
>>68834683
Explain what you got.
>>
>>68834870
I think the only thing to do is just smash any and all gen z babies. I've plotted this shit out on a chart, and its just a downward spiral.
>>
File: harmonykorine.jpg (33 KB, 650x436) Image search: [Google]
harmonykorine.jpg
33 KB, 650x436
>>68834923
Exactly right. These types of people never ask questions positively. If they don't get the film immediately they dismiss it.
No idea why they try to get into film with that mindset. The best is when they think they can ever be filmmakers.
>>
>>68834952
GEN Z can't even explain why they don't like the film without the use of meaningless buzzwords. Sad.
>>
File: tv as fuck.jpg (504 KB, 406x2200) Image search: [Google]
tv as fuck.jpg
504 KB, 406x2200
>>68834923
At the same time, /tv/ will argue about anything. So starting an OP with a dipshit claim like that almost guarantees SOMEONE will disagree with you.

Its the same reason tolkien threads always start because fucking eagles man.
>>
>>68834923
I can say I didn't like it because I thought it was confusing, yes that's a legitimate argument and no i'm not stupid. Shane carruth is known for these dense ambiguous movies that are unsatisfying and come off as pretentious, it's pretentious because there is so much that has to be assumed and its just not entertaining, you feel like he shot for the stars and whiffed
>>
>>68835272
Read what you wrote back to yourself.

Now do you see why we can't have intelligent discussions?
>>
>>68835272

Dont bother arguing with them, any claim you make will be retorted with "you just don't get it, retard", and then a reccomendation for a Marvel movie
>>
>>68835381
ALL he said was that he found the movie confusing and backed up his statement with the word on the street with Carruth movies.

But WE'RE the stupid ones, right?
>>
>>68835427

yes
>>
>>68835364
It makes sense, wow you're able to understand carruth's nonsense but my post was too hard for you, baby?
>>
>>68835381
Exactly this.

And the thing is, Marvel movies are 10 times better than crap like this. They are able attract an audience while maintaining actual deep and interesting stories, unlike this
>>
>>68835115
>they like their movies ideas to be presented in an understandable way

you snobby douche, posting the king of hipster faggots.

The biggest joke in art is that there is some deeper meaning, they're just jerking you around because they know you'll dig
>>
File: pra06_10a.jpg (23 KB, 320x400) Image search: [Google]
pra06_10a.jpg
23 KB, 320x400
>>68834102

from someone who enjoyed primer i HATED upstream color.

it came off as so fucking pretentious.

it worked in primer since they was a ton of technical dialogue in regards to the machine they built but in UC its almost as tho they made things as vague as possible just to seem intellectual.

the part where theyre reciting Walden while she's swimming and collecting the rocks in the pool, where theyre getting eachothers memories mixed up
>we should go somewhere
>where would we go?
>we should go somewhere

the fucking ending.

how the farmer is a metaphor for god. it legit felt like a film students final thesis.

the film just felt very try hard

>inb4 reddit
>inb4 go watch capeshit
>>
>>68834102
Well I think it's a masterpiece and I'm definitely not Shane Carruth.
>>
>>68835634
>he will never try to look past the surface level
>he will never see art as anything more than an entertainment medium
girlslaughing.jpg
>>
>>68835472
>guaranteed replies
>>
>>68835468
>I thought it was confusing
Why?
>Carruth is known for being confusing and pretentious and unsatisfying because "there's so much that has to be assumed"
I don't care what others think. Tell me what YOU didn't fucking understand so that we can have a fucking discussion.
>feels like he shot for the stars and whiffed
Nice little simile you got there
>and its just not entertaining
It's an art film. Brahkage isn't entertaining either and he's not supposed to be. This isn't the film you want it to be and you have to accept that and watch it again.

But yeah, your post was way too hard.
>>
>>68835649
Same
>>
>>68835472
Is this thread just going to be bait from here on out?
>>
File: where do you think we were.jpg (321 KB, 1280x1080) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we were.jpg
321 KB, 1280x1080
>>68835952
>>
File: confusednicholson.jpg (3 KB, 264x148) Image search: [Google]
confusednicholson.jpg
3 KB, 264x148
>>68835634
You are exactly what's wrong with this board. Get educated, watch some Tarkovsky, Ozu, and Godard, then come back to /tv/. You're not welcome here.
>>
One thing i've never been able to figure out is how the farmer used the parasite to make music. one minute he's prodding at infected pigs, the next minute he's out in a field collecting sound samples. why does he bother with the parasite at all if he just collects sound samples normally
>>
>>68836022
>replying to b8
You're not exactly whats right about it either bofambles.
>>
>>68836093
>having to assume every dumbass comment is bait
>>
>>68836136
I wouldn't be surprised if that guy genuinely thinks that though.
>>
>>68836136
>having to reply to every dumbass comment
Just learn to leave shit well enough alone. Its not like anything you say is going to change that guys mind. You're pissing in the wind.
>>
I admire the concept and it's an interesting take on the sci-fi genre (though it's more fantasy than anything). It just doesn't make an engaging and memorable movie to watch.
>>
>>68836416
I've followed that mantra for the most part. It's just impossible to have a thread without mention of capeshit, memes or bait. Dark days we live in.
>>
>>68834102
Protip: Pretentious and boring is not a valid criticism as they're both entirely subjective
>>
>>68834102
>pretentious
Is there a criticism worse than this one?
>>
if you go by definition of pretentious, you can assume that every movie is pretentious
>>
>>68834365
It uses images to tell the story.
>>
If you like marvel/disney movies, you are too young or too stupid for a movie like this.

You say pretentious because you feel stupid. You day boring because you have a short attention span.

If you can't tell the difference between a movie and a film, you probably have a stupid opinion.
>>
>>68834102

Can someone explain this movie to me? I enjoyed it but I didn't really understand most of it. I got the farmer dude was God and the pigs had parallel humans, but the part with the parasite confused me because it seemed like they dropped the concept halfway through.
>>
>>68837266
>Farmer dude was God
Wrong
>Dropped the concept
Wrong

The farmer likely had something to do with the origin of the parasite, given that he was tracking it and moving them to pigs. Even though the parasite was removed, the residual telepathic link remained. (Why they flipped out when he killed the babies, why she heard buzzing from the utility pole.) The entire movie was about them discovering why their lives were still so fucked up, despite trying to move on from the initial infection.
>>
I liked the movie. I won't claim to have understood all of it. I doubt every dipshit in this thread pretending to get it understands the movie, either. None of you retards seem capable of elaborating on anything.

Here, the movie broken down by the creator himself:

http://filmschoolrejects.com/features/interview-shane-carruth-unravels-the-meaning-of-upstream-color.php
>>
File: 654.jpg (54 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
654.jpg
54 KB, 500x500
>tfw Shane will never make A Topiary
>>
>>68834102
Not gonna lie I fell asleep watching it and don't feel motivated to finish it.
>>
File: stirner.jpg (26 KB, 331x334) Image search: [Google]
stirner.jpg
26 KB, 331x334
>>68838218
>tfw it's okay because he's making a modern-day pirates KINO and all the bro-tier Hollywood actors have signed on
>>
>>68834102

Were you intoxicated? You were supposed to be intoxicated.
>>
Maybe if you equate no exposition with pretentious.
>>
I love how everybody was cumming over the last 15 minutes having no dialogue and it turned out to be something extremely shit, full with symbolisms 101.

Kubrick would have laughed all his way through this crap and call Carruth a fucking amateur.
>>
>>68836706

All criticism is entirely subjective.

You could actually mention objective facts, but the value you attribute to those facts (or the thought that those facts should be something else) is subjective.
>>
>>68834102
The grey legs are her legs.

Let that sink in for a bit.
>>
>>68837266

The film is all about the life-cycle of a parasite.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/interview-shane-carruth-explains-why-upstream-color-isnt-so-difficult-to-understand
>>
>>68834102

I didn't like it either but I think>>68834588 is the best answer as to why. Also, it's obviously a film meant to be watched many times over. It's a mystery both to it's characters and it's audience.
>>
If anyone cares, here's Armond Whites take:

>Cohen’s fondness for rumination matches Carruth’s fondness for the paranoid mystery that has become standard for cineastes unfamiliar with the density of experimental narrative by silent-era artists like Vertov who still believed in what Andre Bazin explained as the ontological truth of photography. It is the silent surrealists’ speculation on destiny that Carruth extends into dread. His murder-mystery, ecological catastrophe plot adds terror to what should simply be wonderment about seeing the world in existential terms.

>No question Carruth is talented; Upstream Color shows the commitment of a Vertov disciple (whether Carruth appreciates it or not) but Carruth’s indie-cynicism gainsays a belief in the richness of art.

>Cohen and Carruth’s dedication to filmmaking is palpable. Yet their artistry and intelligence are intractable, making each movie a little tiring and off-putting only because they don’t simply create a mood to which viewers can respond. Cohen and Carruth achieve art effects (as the titles Museum Hours and Upstream Color make blatant). This is not necessarily a bad thing but it was an amazing thing almost a hundred years ago when Vertov woke up the world with his then-daring, now incomparable artiness. To this day, Man with a Movie Camera tells viewers that cinema has the power to capture life and influence the imagination. Cohen and Carruth hold similar beliefs but their conviction is so studied and obvious it seems overcomplicated.

http://www.nyfcc.com/2013/07/museum-hours-upstream-color-and-dziga-vertov-by-armond-white-for-cityarts/
>>

>>
>>68835649
>how the farmer is a metaphor for god

oops. you done goofed.
>>
>>68834579
>gonna be like

Dash your hopes, son.
>>
God I love this film but that part where it suggests the girl was able to observer the pig farmer after her connection was severed made no fucking sense.

Also the part where they didn't show them both getting arrested for homicide and moving into his property.
>>
>>68834174
Yeah OP a decent movie is more your speed.
>>
>>68834579
>This thread a perfect representation of what /film/ is gonna be like
>Dear god it is gonna be shit

kicking out the GOTfags and daredevil fans isn't gonna magically make movie discussion good. it's the same posters.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.