[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My biggest movie pet peeve
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: crank-2-middle-finger.jpg (91 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
crank-2-middle-finger.jpg
91 KB, 600x300
My new biggest movie pet peeve is when, after no characters look into the camera all movie long, or even break the fourth wall, the movie ends with a character giving a knowing stare right into the camera.

I've come to interpret this as the director giving the audience the middle finger, which is why I really appreciate Crank 2 for making that explicit.

Is there a TV tropes page about this? Is it all (or usually) a reference to something I can't currently place?

Here are some movies where I've recently seen this:
Crank 2
The Avengers
Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector

Now two "high brow" examples:

The Revenant

I read a Leo interview (sorry I couldn't find it just now) where he said that ending was supposed to make the audience feel like the movies world was their world, and went on to basically say it was supposed to make the audience feel guilty about the environment and the treatment of native peoples in some sort of "it was Earth all along!" sort of way.

(Okay, I added that last planet of the apes reference, but).

Then, I just saw it in Kieslowski's Three Colors: Red.
And I loved the movie, but it ends with a double middle finger of the judge looking into the camera winkingly as we are shown that a photo from earlier in the movie was magically of the future. What the fuck ever.

Anyone have more examples? I'm sure there are tons... I forgot a few between wanting to discuss this and getting around to making this thread.

Anyone like this kind of ending? Have an example of one that really works for you?
>>
>>68823029
Superman. Also calm down
>>
>>68823029
I liked it in Memories of Murder.
>>
>>68823029

The photo in Three Colours wasn't of the future though.
>>
>>68823194
It's not literally the same picture as earlier; you're correct.
>>
I don't see it done that often. It's fucking awesome in Wanted though, perfectly executed and feels super badass.
>>
>>68823029
When was it in Avengers?
>>
>>68823937
Thanos
>>
I thought it worked perfectly in Magnolia
>>
>>68823029
>Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector

Why did you watch this?
>>
>>68824194

He was looking at his minion that just gave him bad news, you fucking idiot
>>
That is some weapons grade autism op
>>
>>68824289
I didn't, but I just listened to the We Hate Movies podcast episode, which describes the ending.
>>
>>68824370
Oh. Well,

>Here are some movies where I've recently seen this

seems to imply you watched it yourself.
>>
>>68824309
>the audience is his minion
>you're literally working for thanks as you watch avengers

This movie was so deep
>>
File: psycho.png (282 KB, 807x343) Image search: [Google]
psycho.png
282 KB, 807x343
>>
>>68823029
Crank 2 is based
>>
>>68823788
Jesus, that scene was Fight Club tier (that's a bad thing desu)
>>
Filth was a strange one
>>
>>68823029
I liked how you really explained your reasoning and we're not just supposed to assume it's some autist peeve.
>>
File: quatrescentscoups.jpg (77 KB, 960x412) Image search: [Google]
quatrescentscoups.jpg
77 KB, 960x412
>>68823029
>almost 20 replies
>no mention of pic related
come on now, guys
>>
>>68826053
OP here I actually planned to watch that tonight

Are these movies haunting me???
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.