[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fmg/ Filmmaking General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 7
File: 1445711171616.jpg (20 KB, 620x310) Image search: [Google]
1445711171616.jpg
20 KB, 620x310
Do you write screenplays? Post about them, or even snippets for critique, here!
Did you go to film school? What was your experience, what are you doing now, and would you recommend that path to anyone else?
Do you make shorts, or even longer form content? Post your project progress!

Personally, I submitted a short recently, and tonight's the festival, so I'll get to see if mine made it to the final selections.
>>
>film school
L O L
O
L
>>
Fuck off to >>>/film/ and wait there
>>
>>68810262
>there
>now gone
Bastard nuMoot.
>>
>>68809138
I finally finished a short I've been editing for a few days. It was a lot of work but I really love how it turned out, looks really weird but funny.

I also have this other short that I directed/edited, it's rough but I'm proud of the visuals.
https://youtu.be/K-XIm_r6EQs

I'll post the other one later.
>>
>>68810926
I appreciate how dark the darks are, very nice visual contrast. You could increase the volume of dialogue starting at the :50 mark, but it's hard with that room noise, which I can relate to.

1:56 you've got somewhere saying "camera". Just wanted to point that out.

The overhead shot of the crawling at the end was pretty neat, especially with the B&W visuals.

Overall, I liked it, it's very competently done. I didn't laugh aloud, but I thought it was clever.
>>
>>68810926
Glad someone finally made something I one of these threads
>>
I'm going to write a screenplay about an alcoholic priest who doesn't believe in god anymore, and he saves this prostitute from getting raped, and he knows how to fight from his years in Vietnam, which will be told through flashbacks, and how he finally puts his demons to rest by falling in love with the prostitute.

I haven't started it yet, but it will blow all of your fucking minds.
>>
>>68810926
Well done. Visually it was very pleasing
>>
>>68811131
Thanks! Yeah I was really liking that overhead shot. Gonna have to figure out a way to do that without sticking my camera out on a stick and seeing what happens.

>>68812118
People make shorts in here all the time dude

>>68814195
Thanks!
>>
>>68813793
Talk is cheap, anon. Come back when you've got a good few pages in, then we'll talk.
>>
>>68814346
I remeber you posting about this, congrats on getting it done and making it look so clean.

My short is kinda fucked, I was an idiot and shot 4k and had to edit on a 2012 laptop, so it was a huge pain in the ass with the lagging and the exporting. I pulled everything off, it would've been just fine to do it in 1080p though.

I'm not allowed to upload it, but I'll make sure to post it on /fng/ when it gets uploaded by the festival.
>>
>>68814587
Godspeed, anon, looking forward to watching it.
>>
File: 1424384777402.jpg (23 KB, 258x288) Image search: [Google]
1424384777402.jpg
23 KB, 258x288
>>68810797
I have to laugh every time I see somebody criticizing a great filmmaker who caters to us normal people who actually leave our house to interact with other normal people. Fuck these autist cunts in their fedora-wearing asses. It's like some unwritten rule in their pathetic notebook that they have to be miserable at everything, that the world is "shit" and everything they hear or see is "shit" and the agenda of everyone is "shit".

We get it. We watched that South Park episode, too. You have Asperger's Syndrome. Now drink some whisky, lighten the fuck up and seek help for it. You're not the only one in that boat, bucko.

WE rule this board, now. WE decide who's cool and who's not. You rock spiders clinging to the 4chan of the past? The ones that yearn for Bela Tarr marathons while you lick Dorito crumbs off of your fingers and weep for "being born in the wrong generation"? You're archaic. You're ancient fucking history. You've been left behind.

Come out of your basement, you cave-dwellers. Come and celebrate the new millennium by watching some Tarantino films with the rest of us. It's the present year and we have cake. Even though it's a lie.
>>
>>68810926
Cameron Nguyen you fucking hack.
>camera
>start walking
also who the fuck let that guy play a drunk man and why didnt you edit out his scenes?
>>
>>68814686
Thanks, here's a screenshot. I'm not sure anymore about the color choice, but it's so fucking hard to color correct when the footage skips and stalls, and I was really pushing the deadline.
>>
>>68815472
Yes, I am a fucking hack, thank you.

We needed that guy to do something, there were only four people in the group and I was a fucking Nazi on set and wanted to do as much as possible.

Turned out when I asked him about it that he actually does know how to drink, he just wanted to make it big and exaggerated because of reasons. I didn't even know where the fucking Russian accent came from.
>>
>>68816401
>I didn't even know where the fucking Russian accent came from.
Great summary for most indie short shoot disasters.
>>
>>68816720
Kek

Uploading the one I just edited (and acted in) right now. This one is a little less stylish but imo it's a lot more funny.
>>
>>68815588
your shot is crooked
>>
>>68816841
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUSJe8F8vLg

Here it is.
>>
>>68816847
Shit, I think you're right. I'm positive I made sure the tripod was level, maybe it's just the weird dimensions of the room? There's loads of corners and angles.
>>
My posts are my scripts.

(You)s are my reward
>>
I made this in one night with a friend and 2 boxes of wine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sh8XnO1u1A

I had fun
>>
>>68817258
Kek

Well shot, but what in the FUCK is going on there
>>
>>68817373
Originally was gonna be roller skating tricks, but he couldn't do any tricks so he just spun & I dicked around while editing.
>>
>>68817061
Could use some color grading tea bee queue ache
>>
>>68817061
what a 4chan looking group of lads
>>
>>68817787
>ache

Yeah, this could have used some color grading, but I edited this together in Avid which I'm still trying to learn how to work.
>>
>>68817837
Kek
>>
>>68809138

Birdbrains guy here, currently writing a script for my next short. I'm aiming to enter in a lot of horror/black comedy festivals and comps so Im gonna do a cheap puppet monster movie called Attack of the Killer Cupcakes, I wanna start filming in May if I can, depends if I can get a couple of locations to film. Will post script when Im finished
>>
>>68817061
i actually like this one. Work on your photography
>>
>>68818286
Ayy thanks. Yeah, what we lacked in quality shots we made up for in quantity.

Holy fuck there was so much footage to sift through, it was hell.
>>
In the process of a one hour spec pilot along the lines of something tou would see on FX or HBO. I've just got the 6-7 page teaser done so far.

Think The Manchurian Candidate meets Sleeper Cell meets House of Cards
>>
>>68817258
learn to shoot action sequences, fag
>>
File: glidecam_v16_full.jpg (44 KB, 416x500) Image search: [Google]
glidecam_v16_full.jpg
44 KB, 416x500
>>68818525
>Step 1: Pic related
>Fail Step 1
>>
>>68818437
>The Manchurian Candidate meets Sleeper Cell meets House of Cards
Blake Snyder is literally rolling in his grave
>>
>>68819069

I don't know how quite to describe it, but that's what it looks like on paper
>>
>>68818762
just kidding. I actually think you have some kind of an eye. I'm watching your videos. There are some cool moments
>>
>>68818393
bad choice, quantity is kill. How many hours of shooting?
>>
Here are two shorts I was involved with last summer. 48 Hour film shit is fun but sometimes goodish ideas suffer because of the constraints (other rules besides just time limits).

This one I co-wrote and acted in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1XsnfYsyGk

This one I acted in and did some uncredited rewrites to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vST5m0TFrhI

It was a lot of fun and I'm hoping to work with the same group again this summer, but on our own shit, not 48 Hr related. I also want to start directing but I don't think they'll go for it unfortunately. Might just have to do several films and trade off directing duties
>>
>>68814587
just preconvert it to 1080 before you import it to edit then?

it's like one line of code in ffmpeg
>>
>>68819295
I actually don't remember.
>>
>>68814587
That's why you transcode to low res proxies and then uprez for color and final delivery
>>
>>68819543
>>68819621
You see, that's what I would do if I was on my own terms, but the computer they gave me was shit, and I didn't have time to convert all my footage. 4 GBs of RAM my ass.

To be honest, time based festivals kinda suck, but they gave me the equipment, so I can't complain too much.
>>
>>68819761
Don't convert before you bring it into your NLE, just transcode the footage to DNXHD 90 or whatever
>>
Please post John Core somebody
>>
>>68819761
4 gb ram is slow as shit, you need 16
>>
>>68819879
Again, smart idea. DNxHD or ProRes would've been great, and I was actually going to personally rent a HDMI recorder to bypass the camera's compression and just shoot straight into one of those codecs, but my actor was flaky and we shot when he could, so I couldn't reserve a date.

>>68819919
I have 16 on my desktop, but that's in a different state. I really need a prod laptop, but that shit is expensive, and I don't even own a camera anymore, since my last one was stolen.
>>
>>68820094
Ouch, gl dude. At least you know if you can handle that you can handle anything
>>
Sup. I made It with a friend basically as a prom video. Its about finals. Shit quality and stuff but we had shit equipment, and also we're not very experienced (young fag here). Yet we tried to do as much as we could with It. Any protips on Colour Correction, because i dont know shit about It and would like to learn something. Any tutorials?
>>
>>68820245
https://youtube.com/watch?v=7QeFSHz1pBU

Forgot the video teehee
>>
>>68820245
Lynda.com has really good tutorials, it's a pay site but you can do a 1 month free trial
>>
>>68820313
>10 day trial

Fix't
>>
>>68820245
>>68820313
Lynda is great, where I used to work had a subscritpion for us to use.
>>
>>68820502
Bump
>>
>>68822479
Nice save.

I'm working on a feature, almost done, about 70 pages in. Here's a segment, if anyone wants to give it a read:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwnLo4eiFUKDVHkxWmF1bEFBUVU
>>
>>68822641
Oh shit, I remember you. Sci-Fi robbery stuff, I thought that shit was pretty cool.

Glad to hear you made progress.
>>
>>68822641
I'm still reading, but one thing really quick: character names shouldn't be caps in Action lines after their first introduction.
>>
>>68823184
Ha, thanks! I'm playing this as a long game, so I've been working on shorts I can actually shoot in the meantime, but I always make sure to get some pages for this done every week.
>>
>>68819221
Aw shucks, thanks anon. I usually crew on sets, until recently. I try and shoot things more often. Most of whats on my youtube was really just shot with my phone. Just tryna stay busy
>>
https://vimeo.com/155625037

Pls critique?
>>
>>68823216
Yeah, that's a bad habit I picked up from a few scripts I read during my formative years. I'm just so used to holding down shift for the names that I can't turn it off.
>>
>>68823338
Not bad. Not really much to say about it, well-shot and your actors are okay.

I would have sold it more through symmetry. Like, you have the OCD guy keeping everything clean and neat and precise, but then you have him killing his roommate with a knife. Now, that's all well and good, but I think you could sell the OCD thing more through something tidier, like a strangling or poisoning.

That's just me and my autism though.
Also that's a hell of a name you got there.
>>
>>68823230
Well, glad to hear you're sticking with it anon.
>>
>>68823338
The pictures are smudgy. What OCD person straightens smudgy picture frames. If he's OCD why does he wipe still dripping blood off the floor? The opening cup shot would've been good if you let the actor step away so we could see symmetrical cups. Could've been better if you committed to OCD
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
Can someone give me tips how to do good looking streaming blood effects (like in kill bill, lady snowblood and ichi the killer)
>>
ama you want about filmmaking or writing

>inb4 waste of money
>inb4 spoiled rich kid

yes, and yes kinda - I'm just here shitposting, might as well give some advice in something I actually now while I'm at it
>>
>>68824976
Yo, were you the guy who worked on documentaries from a few weeks back?

If not:
>How's your current job situation?
>Any personal projects in the work?
>If you could go back, would you still go to NYU?
>>
>participated in a 72hr film fest last weekend
>couldn't make it to the writer's meeting so I got there after everything was already planned out
>I basically had nothing to offer onset, did a great table read for a part but they ultimately chose a different script
>would've PA'd but my oneitis was there as a producer so I felt shitty and weird
>ended up going home until editing time
>did color timing in the editing room with my old film school instructor, stayed up until 5AM to knock out this amazing grade for the short
>the director came in and threw it out for the final edit
>he also fucked with the pacing of the whole movie
>my only mark on the movie is an animated credit sequence that the director also butchered in the edit

So fucking steamed right now.
>>
>>68825047
I have worked on docs, and studied them a lot but I don't remember posting about it.

>How's your current job situation?
Studying for my masters in business now. About to graduate. job market isn't that impressive (canadian, can't work in us without sponsorship). But to be fair, I only want to work in the office and not on set.

>Any personal projects in the work?
I have a few actually good scripts, and working on a new pilot for a few competitions. One short film I didn't shoot (would've been my thesis) that I might shoot this summer after my masters is up. It's heavily inspired by the kino film Enemy (2013)

>If you could go back, would you still go to NYU?
Probably not. But I don't regret it.
>>
>>68825245
>would've PA'd but my oneitis was there as a producer so I felt shitty and weird

Do you have any idea how many people hook up after working on set? You fucking idiot.
>>
>>68823281
i'm trying to do the same thing. This is my last one-day-short, half the shots are made with my phone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRgu6Ua6ZiI
>>
>>68825287
I'm still in NYC, and the job market is so much better than in my hometown in MA. I'll make sure to check out Enemy at some point, and I went to Fordham, up in the BX, definitely would not do that again.
>>
>>68825314
Nah it's slightly more complicated than that. I have absolutely no objection to hooking up with crew or co-workers if they're into it as well, but I struck out with her a couple times and made it weird. Like spill my guts over text weird. That bridge is well and truly burned, I'm fine with that but it still just feels weird to talk to her.

Fucking hell I should be writing something right now but here I am bitching about nothing.
>>
>>68825762
I really dig all of visual effects. How do? Also what language
>>
>>68825047
If you want to work post production in reality it's a good place to be
>>
working on a short atm. here's a scene.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dv1lfgy6ogx4ya1/intro_3.mp4?dl=0
>>
A question to any film makers in here, I just want to get a camera and start shooting, do you have any suggestions?
>>
>>68826824
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/dv1lfgy6ogx4ya1/intro_3.mp4?dl=0
Almost really cool but that lighting bro. 2 shadows constantly. I despise your lighting. What are you working with (not judging just curious, I use garage hot lights and a few cheap LEDs)
>>
>>68826976
What type of camera I should get, should have clarified.
>>
>>68826976
DESU there are a lot of incredible point and shoot cameras out there. Any camera with interchangeable lens are going to constantly cost more as you buy ore lens. If you want something great that'll last you, 1k will buy you a GH4 or Blackmagic (but the Blackmagic has 15minute battery, I know from XP)

I shoot with my Rebel T3i a lot and its not that bad not that good. I've been hired to shoot a few $500 music videos so it's paid itself off.

What is your budget and what do you want to accomplish? If you just want to stay busy use an iphone 6. Beautiful camera and its versatile
>>
>>68826998
I got mixed opinions on the lighting yeah. I wasn't concerned with it because I felt that I wanted to embrace how ugly it looked naturally.

I went mostly natural with a few tungsten clamp lights for fill so we could stop down a bit.
>>
>>68826976
I use a t3i.
>>68827153
>>68826998
However, there is one point of concern for me and it is that the shadow disappears in another shot.
>>
>>68827090
>incredible point and shoot cameras
btfo casey
>>
>>68827090
Well, I'm in college so anything below 1000 would work, I also have an Iphone 6, I hardly take pictures with it though. I will now.
>>
>>68826623
Italy here. I've used a filter for the phone shots and some color correction for the rest (just cut away the reds).
>>
>>68827234
Get a selfie stick and use the head of it to put on tripods and such. Same screw mount.
Being in college don't mean nothin. Take out another loan and blow it on a cmaera
>>
>>68827441
Kek alright, it seems my disdain for people who use selfie sticks has come to bite me in the ass.
>>
File: camcaddie-630.jpg (63 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
camcaddie-630.jpg
63 KB, 630x420
>>68827489
Don't write off tools. Be inventive. I made a rig using a C ring, i put an LED light in the hot shoe mount on the handle, and I bongo tied a portable usb battery, and I used my iphone on a slfie stick head. and it was my hand rig. I had everything I needed with a backup battery all on one ridiculous thing. I was using my main cam for a time lapse at a con and still needed more B roll.
>>
>>68827234
Just get a fujifilm on ebay or something
>>
>>68827864
>>68827898
Thanks folks, much appreciated
>>
Who else here /WorksintheIndustry/

What's your position generally? Union or non Union?

I'm a 1st AC, and I've done PA & Grip work work Spike and FOOD. I almost was a camera A 1st AC for a Starz show. Show lost funding because it's script was awful
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.