[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How was The Martian able to get away with saying "fuck"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
How was The Martian able to get away with saying "fuck" twice in a PG-13 movie?
>>
>>68801348
bump
>>
How was the academy able to get away with nominating such a mediocre film?
>>
>>68801348
Collusion and corruption within the MPAA.
>>
>>68801617

I rewatched it recently and it's actually pretty comfy if you can get past some of the cringier "funny" moments
>>
This article is for you anon.

https://www.google.ru/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://nofilmschool.com/2015/10/how-martian-cleverly-drops-multiple-f-bombs-and-still-gets-pg-13-rating&ved=0ahUKEwif28r6wq7MAhVK3SwKHbzwBYwQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNGBA-ZRvZopGnb9rjllDKF-wwSTAA&sig2=DJXrFu9dDY9Z7IYYufHC9A
>>
>>68801633

It's comfy, but so dull.
>>
>>68801348
theres an exception to the one fuck rule. if the board of raters takes a vote and two thirds vote that more than one fuck can be used and keep the pg 13 rating then it will.
>>
>>68801348
Meme magic
>>
>>68801690

That article doesn't mention anything about how they were able to say it twice, besides a throwaway sentence about the filmmakers "fighting to keep it in".
>>
>>68801348
>f-bombs

Why are Amerilards so pathetic and afraid of a single word?
>>
>>68801779

Profanity is a sin
>>
>>68802147
no it's not
>>
File: 1460356698514.jpg (19 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1460356698514.jpg
19 KB, 250x250
>>68801752
because of context. you can USUALLY say it once in non-sexual, but to say fuck in a sexual way is never allowed.

so in the context and in luie of it being a scientific film the depersonalization probably adds to it.

it's hard to read the censors but there's also a fact that as time goes on the censor become more lenient. House of a 1000 corpses was banned before only to be allowed years later. that's just how the censors go.

so it's not surprising, and you probably shouldn't be surprised to find it happening more in the future.
>>
>>68803194
also, i've heard that some people can talk with them, like with Scream Weinstein got the censors to go from nc-17 to R by telling them it was a comedy not a horror movie.

the gnere seems to matter too.

there's a good documentary about this, THIS FILM IS NOT YET RATED
>>
>>68801348
It takes place on Mars you idiot, earth laws don't apply.
>>
I actually wondered this myself when I saw it.
>>
I'm surprised they got it down to 2 considering how unnecessarily vulgar the book was.

I think Kirsten Wiig's character in the book swears like Dexters sister (every time she's talking in a scene there's an F word incoming guaranteed).
>>
>>68801348

Watch this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Film_Is_Not_Yet_Rated

It goes through all the bullshit the MPAA and the major studios can get away with.

The deals they make usually allow for a certain number of "variations" from the rating they want for the movie. I'm guessing with The Martian, they just argued for the two fucks, and kept everything else strictly PG-13.
>>
>>68801348
idk but it honestly made me cringe even more than matt damons horrible acting. It was so out of place and unnecessary.
>>
>>68802147
According to which bible?

>>68801779
We're not afraid of it. We just recognize that profanities are just filler words for actual thought and they add nothing to a normal conversation and just make you sound like the equivalent of a teenage valley girl.

Compare:

>"So.... I like.. went to the like... handbag store and like... bought a bag and like... two pairs of new shoes because they were having like... a 50% off sale! and I was like OMG!!! Like I can't even believe it!"

to

>"Fuck dude you know fucking the other day I was in a really fucking bad wreck and fuck I almost shit my fucking pants man because the fucking fucker in the other fucking car fucked my driver side door up and the fucking window shattered all over the fucking place... fuck man."

Profanity when not used in proper context or without purpose is just basal and unrefined and contributes to the downfall of society.
>>
File: Quran.png (3 MB, 1712x1408) Image search: [Google]
Quran.png
3 MB, 1712x1408
>>68807517
>According to which bible?
>>
>>68807633
The Quran is just Mohamed's sex diary. It's not a bible.
>>
>>68807671
infidel
>>
Like it's the first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07LuAmoc3a8

Skip to 43 seconds
>>
File: pew2.jpg (2 MB, 4032x2268) Image search: [Google]
pew2.jpg
2 MB, 4032x2268
>>68808378
>infadel

and proud of it :DDD
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.