[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NAME A BETTER NOLAN FILM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3
File: do'ntknow.png (639 KB, 1278x544) Image search: [Google]
do'ntknow.png
639 KB, 1278x544
Protip: Don't even try. How can you not know?
>>
Literary my second favorite movie.
>>
>>68801320

The prestige is great, but Interstellar is "grander".
>>
>>68801320
Is this agreed upon? one of the Bordens deliberately killed Angier's wife to create the rivalry that would maintain the more restrained one's resolve towards the other's plan for greatness.
>>
>>68801320
why people hate Insomnia? I loved it
>>
>>68801320

Abracadabra
>>
From What I've seen

1- Inception
2- Interstellar (criminally underrated)
3- The Prestige
4- Batman Begins
5- The Dark Knight
6- Memento (criminally overrated)
7- The Dark Knight Rises
>>
pic related

also maybe batman begins
>>
>>68801880
is this some kind of meta-joke?
>>
File: Inception-movie-image-40.jpg (1 MB, 4096x1716) Image search: [Google]
Inception-movie-image-40.jpg
1 MB, 4096x1716
>>68801880
>>68801898

no i'm just stupid
>>
Actually just watched that again last night,

Pretty great, but not as great as I remember,

There's some pretty cringey dialogue and terrible accents.
Still good though.
>>
>>68801688
I don't think so.
In the novel, Borden was young and foolish and started the rivalry because he was a dumb kid (not literally a kid).
>>
>>68801973
Nolan's need for quips is pretty exhausting for the first half of the film.

Other than that, I like the structure and the characters / actors so much it's hard to dislike.
>>
>>68801866
Why is Michael Cain in all of them except Memento?
>>
More movies need chav Bale
>>
>>68802071
Because he's great.
>>
File: realmagic.png (475 KB, 1279x544) Image search: [Google]
realmagic.png
475 KB, 1279x544
What did ya'll think of Bowie's performance?
>>
The Prestige had got to be his magnum opus... Name another film that covers more themes.

Inception is just Propaganda Jenga - all information has bias, wither it is picked up or inject by the subject, and yes it will all come crashing down with contradictions but that doesn't mean there is blank state or that a blank state should be the ideal, that is another bias.
>>
>>68801320

>You don't know?

I cracked up at this scene, he sounded like an angry parent getting a report card.
>>
Nolan and M Night Shamadingling collaboration for Unbreakable 2 when?
>>
>>68802184
not bad. Thankfully it's not the OMGIT'SBOWIE kind of character
>>
>>68802265
Yes please.
>>
>>68801866
>love is the answer even though the movie in no way shows this to be sooooo

desu i liked how it had movements with well defined peaks and valleys
>>
>>68802594
>i liked how it had movements with well defined peaks and valleys

Corny
>>
>>68802594
>docking scene
I unironically loved this part, am I autistic?
>tfw humanity must survive, there is no other way
>>
>>68801320
Memento is the only good movie Nolan has ever made
>>
Just seen it recently, it is really fucking good. All the shit Nolan has put out that sucked balls this is a real gem
>>
>>68802758
Damon's death? It was great
>>
The Prestige is wonderful.
Nolan's best, followed by Batman Begins.
I've got a ton of gripes with Interstellar but it has some excellent moments.

>>68802379
I only realized it was him about 2 years ago.

>>68802758
No, DOCKING was great. Killled off the shitheel that essentially ruined the flow of the movie and also it's ness a bwreeeeeeeeee
>>
>>68801320
Why didn't he just clone MONEY???
>>
>>68802946
because it was about The Prestige

You can't buy respect
>>
>>68803026
It was named The Last Trick in my country, because a huge tanker called The Prestige had a crash and left our northwest coast full of oil just before the movie came out
>>
>need 2 booster stages to get off the earth
>just need the lander's engines to get off a planet with 130% of Earth's gravity, orbiting around a supermassive black hole
>fat ogre shit in spacesuit/10
>>
He actually didn't know, because that Borden was the other Borden.
>>
>>68803606
>need 2 booster stages to get a huge, full of equip for colonization, ship off the earth
>just need the lander's engines to get that lander off a planet with 130% of Earth's gravity, orbiting around a supermassive black hole

It's still pretty unrealistic, but not as much as you imply
>>
>>68801920
this is a rare concession that we should all make more often
>>
>>68801320
Didn't realize until years after the fact that
Bernard Falen was an anagram of Alfred Borden
>>68802184
Very tastefully done. Arguably best on-screen Tesla.
>>
>>68802780
I'm surprised it took this long for someone to say
>>
>>68803873
are you still mad that the "meme director" has actually made some good movies? I bet you wanted to hate it so much when you first watched it
>>
>>68803276
Un camarada.
>>
>>68803947
Its not an anagram, letters dont even match
>>
>>68801320
Yes. Definitely his best. Nothing to argue.
>>
>>68801320
/thread
>>
>>68803845
The problem isn't so much realism as consistency. If they have ships with perfect thrust weight ratios, they don't need a magic gravity equation in order to get space stations off the earth.

Also how, if they can hermetically seal a couple hundred cubic kilometers against the vacuum of space, and grow food in such an environment, they don't need to go to space.

Then there's that whole bit about how humanity is now entirely space-faring and are sitting next to a wormhole in a series of giant tubes, with a fleet of spaceships that can go anywhere and do anything, but they never go through the wormhole.
>>
>>68801320
So why did he kill all his clones?
>>
>>68804217
MAGIC
>>
>>68804203
You're nitpicking like a motherfucker. And it's cool, but your first post was trolling and you know it.

Also, it's early stated that humanity don't give a fuck about space anymore. It's part of the movie.
>>
>>68804217
he didn't kill the clones. He killed himself every night. That's hella fucking scary.
>>
>>68804346
Interstellar is nothing but a collection of nits that barely resembles a coherent narrative.

>anyone who replies to me is the same person
>it matters that people are the same people
welcome to 4chan
>>
>>68804075
what? no i like almost all his movies, i was just making a general point about dialogue on /tv/
>>
>>68804217
It was all a trap to pin the blame on Borden. Besides, you can't trust another version of yourself when you are that egotistically driven, they are likely to have killed each other in a later struggle. At least his way it was pre-determined that only one remained, which though, is a matter for the philosophers of identity.
>>
>>68804416
Yes, but before Borden goes to the theatre, how many times did he kill himself drawning in a tank like her gf? It's a great movie full of layers
>>
>>68804494
Does it matter after you do it more than once? it was all sacrifice for proving to your rival you are greater man.

So the better question is which was the greater magician?
>>
>>68804605
considering he had no way of knowing if he'd be the prestige or drowning, every time he did it, yea, it does kinda matter.
>>
>>68804605
Well one guy had an actual trick the other had fucking real magic so how is it fair.
>>
>>68804651
A new person comes into existence. The new guy can't feel what the original one in the tank feels. That line where he says "not knowing which one he is going to be" is a bit of a misunderstanding on his character's part. He knows the exact setup of the trap door. He drowns every night and a clone with his exact memories continues on and drowns the next night, repeating the cycle - perhaps nolan wants to show it is a defence mechanism granting him courage to get his hands dirty.
>>
>>68804413
and for the second time, i'm just stupid

i read that completely wrong sorry
>>
>>68804703
it's a test to see how you measure greatness.. one naively believed in a false ideal and got lucky, first he found a look alike, then he threw money at a problem and it happened to work. The other guy worked a trick from the start and created original tricks, had a better backstage performance, and forced a way to overcome his rival after all the plays played out.

But the rivalry was necessary to both of their development, which is why I think who ever started the rivalry deserves more credit, I just can't work out if anyone consciously started it or even credit him for sub-consciously tying the wrong knot.
>>
>>68804775
Each new clone has all the memories of the original. So from the final clone's perspective, his existence is a continuous stream of being the prestige every time. With the drowning man being a different person. Every time. So each time a subsequent clone drowned, it was a bigger shock to be the one in the tank, as each clone had memories of being the prestige every time before.

So the situation is one of that of trying to logic argue that one's memories are false. He should know that his death was certain every time he stepped on stage, but he had memories of surviving every night before.
>>
>>68805034
Yeah, so it really is a surprise when he drowns. Absolutely trippy... perfect thought exercise to ask if you would do the same? I don't think I would because how do you know you're consciousness isn't being altered in the process, like what happens in Transcendence. You can never verify it working before the first one, so it is the same as dying, therefore I would never do except as last resort - just like faith I suppose.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.