[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"I am not the Zodiac. And if I were, I certainly wouldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 20
File: john-carroll-lynch-zodiac-film.jpg (139 KB, 585x332) Image search: [Google]
john-carroll-lynch-zodiac-film.jpg
139 KB, 585x332
>"I am not the Zodiac. And if I were, I certainly wouldn't tell you"

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>68726776

Movie was trash tier
>>
>>68726829

Eh the cinematography and stealth CG were pretty damn good.
>>
>>68726776
TELL ME ABOUT ZODIAC, WHY DOES HE WEAR THE MASK?
LOT OF LOYALTY FOR A SERIAL KILLER
>>
I love the threads where anons say WAS HE REALLY THE KILLER???? as if we didn't all watch the same movie and are privy to the exact same information.
>>
>>68726776

He wasn't the Zodiac, which probably was true, considering most media whore serial killers don't deny their crimes once caught.
>>
daily reminder that Ted Cruz is the real Zodiac killer
>>
>>68726874
was he tho?
>>
File: Draper.png (47 KB, 140x86) Image search: [Google]
Draper.png
47 KB, 140x86
>>68726776
Fucking with them? Trolling?
>>
>>68726917
proof pls
>>
Zodiac was a multiple people project.
>>
>>68726921

Good question. Yea he was.
>>
>>68726964

Best answer.
>>
File: conspiracykeanu-whoa.jpg (131 KB, 551x549) Image search: [Google]
conspiracykeanu-whoa.jpg
131 KB, 551x549
>>68726964
H O L Y F U C K
O
L
Y

F
U
C
K
>>
>>68726776
Since the movie was based on the book written by robert graysmith, it's obvious it is implied that he was the zodiac, or atleast had some sort of part on it. When Graysmith explained to his date/GF that he won't rest until he looks the killer straight in the eyes, which he does in the end (when he enters the hardware store and looks that guy in OP's pic in the eyes, with a slight nod as if he acknowledges he was indeed the zodiac). I love the attention to detail Fincher has put in here.
>>
>>68727006
Fucking uppity ass mother fucker.
>>
>>68727006

THAT SON OF A BITCH
>>
File: mark_ruffalo.jpg (16 KB, 355x550) Image search: [Google]
mark_ruffalo.jpg
16 KB, 355x550
>>68726776
That's a nice watch, may I see it?
>>
Who was it?
>>
>>68726829
GTFO PLEB FAGGGGGGGGGGGOT

no but srsly you're a hack know-nothing
>>
Best scene was in that theaters guys house at the end
>>
>>68727740
Ted Kennedy
>>
>>68728223

2spooky
>>
>>68727740
Dick Gaik.
>>
>>68727740
Ted Kaczynski
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (81 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
81 KB, 1280x720
the truth is

I am the zodiac killer
>>
>>68728523
No one ever said the Zodiac was a manlet
>>
>>68726776
Did the creepy scene in the basement serve any purpose? It seemed so out of place.
>>
>>68726843
>stealth CG
where?
>>
>>68728586
A lot of the city was CG.
>>
>>68727740
me
>>
>>68728600
This. Recreating the city and cars and such. It was really well done.
>>
>>68726776
evil Stephen Fry
>>
>>68726776
Didn't they say that DNA evidence exonerated him in the end?
>>
>>68728705

Kind of redundant wouldn't you say? What with all the boylovin' and all?
>>
>>68726964

>12 signs
>12 killers

like pottery
>>
Do you think the Zodiac killer would've browsed /tv/? what would he post about?
>>
>>68726776
Ted Cruz 2016
>>
>>68728846
He'd be a tripfag, no doubt
>>
>>68726964
Agreed. I think it was two guys.
>>
Very rarely does a film scare me like Zodiac did. Especially the scene on the beach and the scene at the house. It's crazy to think that fucked up people like that actually exist.
>>
Reminder that Tommy Wiseau is the zodiac killer
>>
Any other films that match the intensity and suspense of Zodiac?
>>
Two, or three at least. Did any of the suspects know each other?
>>
>>68728580
How can you have watched the movie and not understood what was intended with that scene?
>>
>>68726829
>>
The stabbing of the couple at the beginning was fucked up.
>>
>>68729155
Memories of Murder
>>
>>68729282
I mean logically it makes no sense. It's a great scene but then there's no follow up. He encounters this ultra creepy guy that says it was his handwriting and then...? Nah, it's gotta be Arthur Leigh Allen.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUWyUSNvg6s
>>
>>68729373

Exactly what I thought. Why was there no follow up to this? Closest handwriting match and everything
>>
>>68726776
He want to go back to the Office and sell some paper.
>>
>>68728769
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's no longer a suspect. However, the amount of weird coincidence with this guy, the real Zodiac could have tried to frame him or something. I don't suppose we'll ever know.
>>
>>68729373
It just allows us to see how far his paranoia has grown. The handwriting and the posters have nothing to do with the Zodiac. Graysmith is just exploring every ridiculous dead end as his obsession reaches new heights. He's forcing a narrative upon himself. The guy in the house is a nobody, who even laughs as he lets him out. He was never in danger. There was never anyone else in the house. By this point in his investigation, his imagination has overcome him.
>>
>>68729519
Kevin was in accounting, not sales you dummy.
>>
>>68729593
Yeah I guess I can see that but you'd still think the handwriting link would be something to follow up on.
>>
>>68729412
god i love this song
>>
>>68729752
It's a hippie song and yet Zodiac makes it so unsettling.
>>
>>68729359
I second this.
>>
>>68729684
Graysmith wanting it to be the close handwriting match doesn't mean it was. Remember we're following his perspective.

It's a theme of the movie - the various investigators trying to force their own hunches onto reality because they're that desperate.
>>
>>68729806
I think it was always a creepy song.
>>
>>68726874
You're just about to realize that most people are stupid.
>>
>>68729819
It was really just graysmith forcing his partially informed hunches.
>>
>>68729819

This guy knows what's up.

The entire movie is about the obsessive search for a meaning or a fundamental truth that could possibly explain things. It's metaphorical in that it can be applied to our own lives. A desperate search for a meaning in a universe defined by chaos (eg. a series of apparently random murders) brings us nowhere and it can push us into what could become insanity or just isolation and depression.

Fincher's best movie by a hell of a long shot.
>>
>>68730306
holy shit shut the fuck up.

every time people like you encounter something that's even vaguely ambiguous, you fuckwits tie your brains in knots to turn it into some blanket statement on life and futility.

The reality is graysmith is a retard with a huge boner for paul avery and the zodiac investigation was completely botched due to media involvement and woefully inadequate tools for the investigation of random crimes committed without motive.
>>
>>68729359
ty, noted
>>
>>68730607

Go to bed, Arthur
>>
What clonks my bonkers and blows my mind is how arthur died of a fucking "heart attack" shortly after finally being identified by the surviving gunshot victim, before they can arrest him and question him. I don't really believe in supernatural shit, but that points at some crazy supernatural shit.
>>
why exactly is this guy so important and interesting? he barely killed like 4 people
there are so many more serial and mass killers
what makes zodiac so special?
>>
>>68730607
I defense of >>68730306, I generally agree with his assessment of the movie. However what you said is more in line with the real life Graysmith. He firmly decided that ALA was the Zodiac and built everything around that with blinders on.
>>
>>68731307
he was a elderly fatass. shocking
>>
>>68731344
he was one of a few killers that acted like a movie serial killer in real life
>>
>>68731344
Because he taunted police and the media with his letters.

He also had the whole image with the mask and symbols, making him more interesting than a run of the mill killer

Lastly he got away and this is the biggest reason for his fame, people gravitate to unknowns that can be speculated about
>>
>>68731344
unsolved mystery nignog. Also the depth and cryptic method of freaking out an entire city/country lends to fame. He could still be alive technically. The thought that there's a solid chance someone that's either posted here or lurked here at some point has possibly walked past or made eye contact with the Zodiac killer is pretty crazy, don't you think?
>>
>>68731485
This and he was never conclusively identified so the case has that armchair detective appeal.
>>
>>68731427
BUT HE DIED RIGHT BEFORE THEY GOT TO HIM!
>>
>>68726874
OMG DECKARD WAS A REPERLCANT !!!
it's not in any way relevant to the plot of the movie, but i asked the question anyway and answered it based on absolutely nothing !!!111111
>>
>>68730607

Are you retarded?

That's quite clearly the idea behind the movie.

Just because you think art has no import doesn't mean you're correct. In fact it means the opposite you literal-minded dumbshit.
>>
>>68727740
Some mentally ill guy who killed a handful of people in a very unexciting way, wrote a gibberish "code" and sent it to press for attention, and who probably killed himself a few years later or died in a nuthouse.

Certainly not someone worth obsessing over for decades. Dahmer, John Wayne Gacy Jr. and the Tool Box Killers are far more interesting individuals.
>>
>>68728957
Why would you believe a government/media psyop? Do you think school shooters are real, too? Your choice, but I don't know why you would want to.
>>
>>68731614
But we never found out who the Zodiac was and the case remains officially unsolved. That's the hook.
>>
>>68731595
Some people get really bothered by subtext, politics, and inferred ideas in art. I don't know why
>>
>>68731614
BTW the code has been solved

https://archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/68398850/#68400558

They tell us the meaning of the final 18 letters has not been decoded to this day. Which is somewhat
curious in that it took me only about 30 minutes to crack it.

1. SETH, MEET ROB SMITH NWEST PIER II
2. STEPHENS, MEET ROBERT SMITH WII
>>
how many kills confirmed? did he kill CheriJo Bates?
>>
>>68731927
Does the OP of this thread back this up at all? I'm definitely calling bullshit.
>>
>>68726776
>What did he mean by this?

What did he mean by this?
What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?What did he mean by this?
>>
>>68732052
I have no idea why this style of thread caught on so quickly and is still so common. I guess they always get replies.
>>
>>68731927
None of the stuff you say can be verified. There's no logic or theory behind what you're doing. The methods of cryptanalysis are used because they are proven to work with mathematics. What you're doing, even if it gives you the correct answer (which is probably not true) can not be meaningfully verified.
>>
>>68727740
Bane?
>>
>>68731927
Stop with this. Your "solution" doesn't hold any more water than any other. It's ultimately pretty baseless.
>>
>>68732125
Every day is someone's first day on 4chan, and this seems like a legitimate question if you haven't been here to see that this is a meme and that this phrase gets posted ad nauseum on this board.
>>
>>68731927

But back to the message. It is obvious the main text is garbage. It is only there to cover the real
message. The real message is in the final 18 letters. But to decode the final 18, you have to follow the
clues in the main text. It was noticed from the beginning that the Zodiac appeared to be a terrible
speller, but no one followed up on that clue. Or, they actually misdirected on it, telling us things like
“the Zodiac purposely injects errors into his messages to throw off police.” But his misspellings here
don't look like accidental misspellings, do they? No one misspells “dangerous” with an “e” at the end
or spells “stop” with an “a” at the beginning. So we can be sure the misspellings are done on purpose.
They aren't done to throw off police, they are part of the cipher. All we have to do is go in and make
the corrections.
There are 9 corrections, as I said, and they give us the letters RSITSMWSN. We then simply add those
9 to the last 18, to get the string RSITSMWSNEBEORIETEMETHHPITI. This is fabulously easy,
since it turns out those 27 letters are just a long anagram or scramble. Using two possible ciphers
(methods for ordering the letters), I got initially got two possible messages: >>68400558

You will say, “Yikes! How did you get that? Those 27 letters could scramble out to almost anything.”
True, but I knew generally what I was looking for. I wasn't starting from scratch. This is why the
reader of the message could also unscramble it so quickly. He knew who it was from and who it was to
(within a few people), so he knew the names already. They had probably met at a pier before, since this
was San Francisco. So all he had to get from the anagram was the “meet” and the number of the pier.
>>
File: zodiac murder 1.webm (3 MB, 1080x450) Image search: [Google]
zodiac murder 1.webm
3 MB, 1080x450
>>68731614
>wrote a gibberish "code"
not gibberish m8
>Certainly not someone worth obsessing over for decades
speak for yourself
>Dahmer, John Wayne Gacy Jr. and the Tool Box Killers are far more interesting individuals.
We know their names. We know what they looked like. They didn't set out to fuck with the cops and the media. They were just psychosexual psychopaths.

And they didn't get away with it.
>>
>>68732404
>And they didn't get away with it.
i did it 2bh
>>
why didn't ted cruz have a cameo?
>>
>>68732393
stop
>>
>>68732531
You really don't want this getting out, do you.
>>
>>68726776
An amazing scene from an amazing movie.
>>
>>68732519
nah uh i did it
>>
>>68732664
no i am spartacus
>>
File: akira after the buffet.webm (3 MB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
akira after the buffet.webm
3 MB, 480x272
Too many boring normies in the thread. Zodiac is Fincher's pleb filter.
>>
File: zodiac_8.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
zodiac_8.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>yfw this scene
>>
>>68732125
there are more and more automated (bot) threads on 4chan over several boards.

no idea what the purpose behind it is, but you'll always notice the same thing: identical image+text copy-pasted several hours later and the OP never seems to engage in a discussion himself (fire&forget threads).
>>
File: zodiac murder 2.webm (3 MB, 1000x416) Image search: [Google]
zodiac murder 2.webm
3 MB, 1000x416
>>68732785
The guy said it was almost exactly like it happened.
>>
I went to see this movie in the theatre when it came out and after about five minutes I put my head down and didn't look at the screen for the rest of the movie. Am I crazy?
>>
>>68726776
hey that's the cuck husband of margie from fargo
>>
>>68732844
i think the mods have generic thread topics ready to go to fill gaps when other threads are deleted
>>
>>68732911
yes you fucking weirdo
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7hMSmV3Y1Q

>she will never be your gf in the 60's
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._H._Holmes

Holmes shits on the Zodiac killer
>>
>>68732846
Who said it, the zodiac killer himself?
>>
>>68732981
Yeah, my brother said he was surprised someone didn't call the police.
>>
File: 49474984.gif (497 KB, 500x240) Image search: [Google]
49474984.gif
497 KB, 500x240
>>68733030

yes anon you're so crazy

im shocked at your behavior
>>
>>68732393
>You will say, “Yikes! How did you get that? Those 27 letters could scramble out to almost anything.”
close, i'll say you're full of shit
>>
>>68730778
It's a great film. I even slightly prefer it to Zodiac.
>>
>>68733190
I worked forward and backward to discover the ciphers. There's
more than one way to skin a cat. There are almost as many possible ciphers as there are messages, so it
often helps if you can intuit a word or two in the message, then find gaps in the message that will lead
you to the right cipher. This way often saves time, since you don't have to run through all the common
ciphers. Plus, the author may use an uncommon very difficult cipher or may use one so simple it isn't
even on the “common” list. I have learned to trust my intuition. In many cases in the past I did solve a
puzzle without a cipher, just collating other information. Then I found the cipher after the fact. I won't
tell you exactly what I did here, since I don't like to give away all my tricks. Some of you may be able
to back-engineer the cipher from the solution.

You will say, “Still, I could produce several hundred messages from that string. Can you begin to tell
us how you got to the message you did?” OK. First off, one glance at the string of letters tells you
many things. There are a lot of letters not represented, like A, C, D and F for example. So the string
actually can't be formed into just anything. We also have a lot of letters represented more than once.
Four T's, five E's, and four I's, for example. So, again, that narrows it way down. I assumed the string
was a message, so it might include numbers. If so, it would have to include roman numerals. Since we
have no X or V, the only numbers it could contain are 1, 2, or 3, with 2 or 3 the most likely since you
normally don't have to specify the number 1. This would explain why we have so many I's, you see.
The same sort of logic applies to the names. Many or most messages include a name, or more than
one. Therefore, the odds are the extra T's, E's, and I's are in those names. Same for the S's, M's, and
H's, which we also have a lot of.
>>
File: MoM.jpg (72 KB, 640x336) Image search: [Google]
MoM.jpg
72 KB, 640x336
>>68729359
>That ending
Good shit. I hope the killer was watching, he must've shit his pants.
>>
>>68729333
dumb frogposter
>>
File: q92O6dL.jpg (10 KB, 178x274) Image search: [Google]
q92O6dL.jpg
10 KB, 178x274
>>68733299
my nigga
>>
>>68733025
No, the dude pretended to be dead after being stabbed, so he survived.
>>
>>68732968
mods did baneposting confirmed?
>>
>>68728223
word
>>
Watched the film Saturday and I thought it was absolutely incredible.

>That scene in that guys house

Holy fuck it was tense. I was so nervous that my glasses were completely covered in steam.
>>
>>68733025
Fucking know-nothing gtfo
>>
>>68733349
how do you pretend to die? everyone knows you shit your pants when you die, why didn't he just make sure he shit his pants.
>>
>>68733299
watching what?
>>
>>68733583
The Zodiac Killer obviously wasn't very smart.
>>
>>68733583
You actually don't always shit your pants. It depends
>>
>>68726964
What do you base this on
>>
>>68733611
The movie. When the girl says who she saw earlier was just a plain looking dude, it's part of the reason he looks into the camera since the killer in real life got away with it and might very well be watching.
>>
>>68733676
many people worked on the movie not just david fincher, actors and writers too
>>
>>68733289
This is some /x/ tier bullshit. No wonder no one goes to that board anymore.
>>
it's not even fincher's best, but it's his comfiest. i could put it on and watch the whole thing almost always

for a procedural mystery movie (cop and journalism) it's fucking awesome
>>
>>68733766
do you mean watching the detective talking to the young girl? it's been a while since i watched MoM but doesn't she say that she saw the guy a while ago, not on the same day or anything.
>>
>>68733025
The survivor. He's interviewed in the bonus documentary that accompanies the movie. Pretty well composed. I'd have ptsd like a motherfucker.
>>
>>68733766
sincere woah
>>
was the final scene with the Zodiac survivor pointing out ALA's face from the line up real?

and what about the phone calls stopping after ALA's death?

seems to be that everything points to ALA being the killer. but I did read about this other guy:

http://www.zodiackiller.com/SuspectKane.html
>>
>>68731875
Mostly because nine times out of ten, its just some asshole creating subtext that fits their half-wit ideas on life.
>>
>>68733865
it's a movie about a real case.
he means the real killer could be watching the movie.
>>
>>68733865
nevermind, i misread. disregard that.
>>
>>68729599
Like you can sell paper without accounting for it...
>>
File: mom3.jpg (26 KB, 512x279) Image search: [Google]
mom3.jpg
26 KB, 512x279
>>68733766
this movie is so fucking good. did the director make anything of the same quality?
>>
>>68733865
I meant real the life killer watching the actual movie as the actor looks into the camera at him. When exactly the girl saw him doesn't really matter, just that it triggers the MC's memory and he realizes the killer was there.
>>
>>68733829

nah it's far and away Fincher's best movie
>>
literally the most boring flick I've ever sat through

do plebs think that pretending to enjoy long and uninteresting shit means they have good taste?
>>
>>68734088
do you think they were close to finding the murderer in MoM? i mean, do you think one of the suspects was guilty?
>>
>>68734207
literally kill yourself you cancerous teenage faggot
>>
>>68734035

The Host and Mother are both brilliant
>>
>>68734207
nah you're jus a plen that cant appreciate kino . fincher is a genius
>>
>>68734270
but The Host is shit anon.
>>
>>68734207
People don't "pretend" to enjoy movies anon, this isn't even long or uninteresting in any way. Just because you don't have the mental capacity to watch something that isn't men in capes beating each other does not mean that everyone else sees film as you do.

Also i know this is bait you fuck
>>
>>68734253
It's been a while since I watched it, but it seems heavily implied that the guy they almost shot in the end was the killer since he fit most parts of the killer's profile. Then again, it also could've been anyone else, as it's meant to be ambiguous.
>>
>>68734207
no, like this guy said >>68733829

i genuinely enjoy it. why do most people here automatically assume that people who like stuff they personally don't enjoy must be pretentious? are you that insecure about your intellect? do you really have to question absolutely everyones motives and see false attemps to appear smart everywhere? how about just relaxing and enjoying a comfy movie?

i personally felt drawn into the characters and the atmosphere, and no: it's not to "appear smart" : i haven't even talked about this movie IRL, i gain nothing from faking interest.

tl;dr: you "omg pretentious" fags always come off as insecure and unempathetic (quite literally autism)
>>
>>68734337

you probably hate War of the Worlds too

absolutely pleb-tastic
>>
>>68734146
Bull fucking shit. The Social Network is Fincher's best by a mile.
>>
>>68734261
>>68734339
>Fight Club guy makes serial killer movie
>think it's the greatest thing ever
sure, I'm the teenager here
>>
>>68734430
haha no i did not, but the host was stupid. sorry anon but it was nothing like MoM
>>
>>68734438
not going to lie, Social Network was really good. you got a point anon
>>
>>68734438
gosh its so shocking that a vanity movie about a tech billionaire is praised on the internet.
>>
>>68734470

what does it have to do with whether or not The Host is similar to Memories of Murder? of course it's not similar. the anon asked whether the director has made other great movies. I answered in the affirmative as that is the truth. I'm sorry you're too pleb to appreciate a monster movie.
>>
>>68734438

Nope

I'd say it's his second best. Zodiac is significantly better though.

The Social Network is really entertaining but it doesn't have the depth of Zodiac. It also has a few sequences that stick out as significantly less good than the rest of the movie. I agree that it is great though.
>>
>>68734419
>why do most people here automatically assume that people who like stuff they personally don't enjoy must be pretentious?

Posts like >>68730306 are a big cause of that.
>>
>>68734337
I agree. 6/10 at best.
>>
>>68734448
>think it's the greatest thing ever

I give the movie 8/10.It's a solid film. Just because i complain about you acting like a fucking retard does not mean that i "love" the movie since "le figt club man" made it.

I should not even respond to such shit bait but i'm doing it because i hate myself.
>>
>>68734448
I'm almost certain you are a teenager.
>>
>>68734566
>vanity movie about a tech billionaire
did you even watch the movie you greasy fucking dildo
>>
>>68734645

>guy offers a pretty simple interpretation of one of the movie's main ideas
>dumb /tv/ viewers who think movies are just about popcorn get upset

I don't get it
>>
>>68734704
Do you even mark zuckerberg?
>>
>>68734587
im not too pleb to appreciate a monster movie.

i liked trollhunter, cloverfield, wotw
>>
>>68734744

2 of those are trash

at least we agree on WOTW though
>>
>>68734723
That low-level literacy combined with delusions of insight.
>>
>>68734337

It started off alright and the ending was kinda cool. The entire "muh virus" plot should have been dropped though.
>>
>>68734810

But that is quite obviously what the movie is about. What do you think Zodiac is trying to say if not that?
>>
>>68734901
>Here's a boring series of things that happen. Did you read the book? It's like a condensed version of that.

same as Social Network, Dragon Tattoo, etc

Fincher sucks
>>
>>68735008

You sound incredibly narrow-minded.

Fincher isn't a great director which is why it's surprising that Zodiac is so good.

Anyway, you have now stooped to saying things like "boring" to criticize a movie and you seem to think that movies have no ideas to express so this argument isn't really serving any purpose. Enjoy your bag of popping corn at your next movie event.
>>
>>68734901
not the anon you're referring to, but most movies are not about grand, universal themes.

fincher probably just wanted to tell an interesting mystery plot and flesh it out with authentic characters.

honestly don't see "muh message about the search for truth" anywhere. it's missing key scenes, clear symbolism or sth. similar for that.

it's just a story about an obsessive journalist who tries to solve a mystery. you can tell that story without including universal themes, and i think fincher did just do that.
>>
>>68734810
TRYHARD TEENAGER GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

you're not fooling anyone you fucking retard
>>
>>68735093
Movies do have things to express, just not Fincher's movies. And where did you get the idea that movies can't be boring? Fincher isn't Tarkovsky, he makes popcorn flicks so he has no excuse for being boring.
>>
What a cancerous thread. Hopefully /film/ arrives sooner rather than later.

The underage fags here can't even articulate their points.
>>
>>68735141

Um. All good movies have ideas they want to express. I apologize if you can't appreciate allegory or metaphor but that doesn't mean those ideas are not inherent in the film. Even the plots and characters that good directors choose to pursue should be looked at as conscious choices that they are making in order to communicate a certain idea. Even something like The Social Network digs into ideas of digital communication being a shorthand version of reality that condenses space into something intangible, and the movie questions what this might mean.

Sorry mate but you just sound kinda dim.
>>
>>68733829
Any other movies like this? I know Zodiac isn't a horror movie but it has some creepy elements. The only other one that comes to mind is The Exorcism of Emily Rose which mixed scary demonic possession stuff with a pretty interesting courtroom drama.
>>
>>68728586
Exactly
>>
>>68735141
also:

universal life-lessons/higher meaning usually implies a character arc.
if a director/writer wanted to convey a clear message, he would make his character undergo a journey.

the characters in zodiac have no real arcs:
gyllenhaal starts out as obsessive and ends obsessive. if that was meant to be enough for us to see hidden messages/higher meaning, there would at least - without substantial character development - have to be some symbolism. ==> no big message, at least not clearly cut out.
>>
>>68735318
>All good movies have ideas they want to express.

laughable.

> I apologize if you can't appreciate allegory or metaphor

alright mr. metaphor: name specific scenes and their implied meaning.
>>
>>68735442

what in the fuck are you talking about
>>
File: 1461550681552.jpg (14 KB, 329x352) Image search: [Google]
1461550681552.jpg
14 KB, 329x352
>>68735141
>but most movies are not about grand, universal themes.
Go watch your cartoons faggot.
>fincher probably just wanted to tell an interesting mystery plot and flesh it out with authentic characters.
This doesn't negate there being a theme you monstrous cunt
>honestly don't see "muh message about the search for truth" anywhere.
Of course you didn't. You're retarded.
>it's just a story about an obsessive journalist who tries to solve a mystery.
MUH MESSAGE ABOUT THE SEARCH FOR TRUTH
> you can tell that story without including universal themes,
ALL COMPETENT SCRIPTS ARE BUILT ON A THEMATIC FOUNDATION
> and i think fincher did just do that.
GOOD THING YOU AREN'T PAID FOR YOUR FUCKING THOUGHTS

>if a director/writer wanted to convey a clear message, he would make his character undergo a journey.
THEY DID YOU MOOLY FUCK.
>gyllenhaal starts out as obsessive
NOT REALLY
>and ends obsessive
ENDS BELIEVING HE HAS CONFIRMED HIS OBSESSION

fuck you're goddamn stupid
>>
ill just leave this here
http://www.oranchak.com/zodiac/webtoy/
>>
he meant he found out who the zodiac killer was and took him to his cabin in the woods and starved
him to death
>>
>>68735594
a simple plot is a "message" now?

i see our conflict now: the simplest ideas seem to fall under the category "message" to you.
>>
Fincher is more responsible than just about anyone else with special effects and CGI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW2xhBSfFps
>>
>>68731927
why are people so dismissive of this
seems good to me
>>
>>68735780
Not him, but even the simplest of plots is built upon a thematic base.
>>
>>68735505

just read this guy here:

>>68735594

you basically already agreed with me when you said it's about a journalist getting obsessive over a mystery. except you seem to only think it's about Gyllenhaal. the movie shows 3 different men all getting obsessive about a case and each coming to a different end. one ends up drunk, on drugs, and seemingly falling into derangement on an isolated boat. the other ends up with marital difficulties and what seems to be a depression over a case that was never closed. the other loses his family and becomes paranoid and delusional. All 3 cannot cope with a case that cannot be solved because the ambiguity of a serial killer's actions is too much to endure. The moment when Gyllenhaal goes to the place where Allen works is Fincher's way of suggesting that the only way of getting by with this gap of knowledge is convincing yourself that you've uncovered it. Because we can't know where Allen did it, nor can Graysmith (as the movie goes to great pains to show), we are meant to feel as though he is only convincing himself of the truth of his belief in order to go on with his life. It's what we all have to do.

Anyway, you sound like you're working on a close reading for a grade 9 English class.
>>
>>68735870
Shills/disinfo agents are EVERYWHERE
>>
>>68735835
That's really cool.
>>
>>68728586

>where
That means it worked
>>
File: this post.jpg (51 KB, 820x600) Image search: [Google]
this post.jpg
51 KB, 820x600
>>68735780
>a simple plot is a "message" now?
THE "SIMPLE PLOT" IS IN SERVICE TO THE UNDERLYING THEME. THIS IS HOW MOVIES WORK. FUCK.
>i see our conflict now
YEAH YOU EXIST. AND YOU'RE STUPID AND SELF-IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO THINK YOUR STUPID, SELF-IMPORTANT HORSESHIT IS WORTH SHARING.
> the simplest ideas seem to fall under the category "message" to you.
COMPLEXITY ISN'T REQUIRED YOU THICK DIPSHIT. WHAT ARE ALLEGORIES??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?
>>
>>68735594
>This doesn't negate there being a theme you monstrous cunt

you know what's funny? i could take zodiac and imply 20 different "messages" or "universal themes" if i applied your logic.

since simple character traits like obsession etc. are "muh message" now, zodiac is clearly about degeneracy (ALA lived in a messy trailer).

oh no, wait. it's clearly a movie about the dangers of alcoholism, life regrets ("that boy and his books" or whatever he said) and the search for fulfillment.

oh no, wait. there was a tranny, right? IT'S ABOUT THE DUALITY OF MAN.

look, i get it. many people here need constant intellectual confirmation. you are probably an underachieving loser and hence look for "muh deep meaning" in mindless flicks - just don't expect everyone to share this circlejerk.

zodiac is quite a simple story and definitely not about "grand themes". spouting insults doesn't change that
>>
File: 1459984993183.jpg (461 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1459984993183.jpg
461 KB, 2000x1000
whats your favourite flick from this neat graphic

and any others to note in the same vein of zodiac/MoM? (chink films)
>>
>>68735934
sounds like a really pointless story 2bh

>guy doing detective work at the expense of his personal life
really groundbreaking stuff
>>
>>68736002

I hope you realize you're talking to at least two different people.

Also picking literally isolated moments in a movie to suggest they are the same as a movie's 3 hour preoccupation with certain ideas is laughable at best.
>>
>>68736052

Give us some examples of movies you love that express ideas you find interesting. I'm genuinely curious as to whether you actually believe movies have no ideas to express or if you're just messing around.
>>
>>68736002
>you know what's funny?
YOU THINKING YOU'RE ENTITLED TO TALK.
> i could take zodiac and imply 20 different "messages" or "universal themes"
YOU PROBABLY COULD YOU BELLIGERENT FUCK.
> if i applied your logic.
NOPE.
>look, i get it.
YOU OVERWHELMINGLY DEMONSTRATE THAT YOU DO NOT.
>many people here need constant intellectual confirmation.
*COUGH* WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING *COUGH*
> you are probably an underachieving loser
PROJECTION.
>and hence look for "muh deep meaning" in mindless flicks
IT'S NOT A DEEP MEANING. IT'S PRETTY FUCKING OVERT.
>in mindless flicks
GO WATCH YOUR CARTOONS YOU FUCKING CHILD.
>just don't expect everyone to share this circlejerk.
INTRO TO SCREENWRITING IS A CIRCLEJERK NOW.
>zodiac is quite a simple story
YES.
>and definitely not about "grand themes"
NO.
>spouting insults doesn't change that
IT'S HOW I COPE WITH KNOWING THAT YOU EXIST. THE EUGENICS MOVEMENT WASN'T WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING.
>>
>>68736307
Good movies do have ideas to express. My problem with most Fincher movies is that they just seem like a series of events with no real underlying point, unless they're explicitly spelled out like in Fight Club.
>>
>>68736462

Why isn't it possible that you are missing their underlying points?

Just so we don't get mixed up here, I'm not a Fincher fan. I think outside of Social Network and Zodiac he's pretty shit.

Anyway, let's try this. Let's take the opening stretch of Social Network. First we see a prolonged conversation between two people exchanging verbal bars over a 10 minute stretch that is relatively intimate. We get a strong sense of the human relationship between these two that is fractured and is ultimately broken as we watch Zuckerberg be a complete asshole to the girl he's with. We see his lack of social decorum and his obsession with social climbing. We then get a curious stretch that painstakingly follows this character running across a campus in what almost seems like real time. We see the full breadth of the campus and the physical space that he has to traverse in order to get home. You probably think that this is a "series of events with no real underlying point" but that's not the case. The reason the movie begins this way with its meticulous attention to a conversation and then its seemingly unnecessary depiction of a run across a campus that lasts several minutes is because it wants to set it up as a contrast to the next sequence in which Zuckerberg manages to cause a controversy on campus while sitting in one chair. The intention is to represent the ability that the internet is giving this person to crush the girl he interacted with in the first long conversation and to cause a huge stir on a campus of tens of thousands of students, all from the comfort of his bedroom. It is a contrast between the possibilities of the intangible digital space and the much more human organic existence of the world outside his window.

None of this is explicitly stated in the film. There aren't packaged little symbols (seriously? are you 12?) for you to go over with your home room teacher.

Movies have things to say whether you can see that or not.
>>
>>68728223
i never got this scene. Why did theatre guy deliberately act so creepy?
>>
>>68728893
Would he be our UTV
>>
>>68736829

The scene is meant to be from Gyllenhaal's perspective. His paranoia is affecting his perception of the sequence. The movie places us inside the realm of Gyllenhaal's delusions so that we feel the tension that he does.
>>
>>68736462
But Zodiac has an underlying thematic structure. It isn't even an especially subtle one, or even so novel that it's easily overlooked: it's a basic story that incorporates what's frequently pointed out about the significance of media's interest in serial killers. And the movie illustrates it well in a well-paced and appropriately tense way. That's all. No one's suggesting a Byzantine web of symbols here.
>>
>>68736918
but as gylenhaal leaves the theater guy laughs to himself, like he intended to scare gyllenhaal
>>
>>68726776

TED CRUZ IS THE ZODIAC KILLER SENPAI XD!!!!!! SENPAI 100 TBHFAM SMHDASRITE!
>>
>>68736966

Or he's chuckling at a guy who's running away in fear from an old man showing him some posters. It doesn't matter though, the scene is meant to be filtered through Gyllenhaal's perspective.
>>
>>68736765
>he's an asshole
>the internet lets him be an asshole on steroids
wow mind blown
>>
>>68737158
You can trivialise any movie, anon.
>>
>>68737158
You can reduce any story to triviality if you're dismissive enough. So what?
>>
>>68737469
>>68737522
that's literally all that the paragraph I responded to had to say about the "theme" that he thinks I missed
>>
>>68737628

you sound like you have terrible reading comprehension
>>
Animal Crackers.
>>
>>68726908
Being caught is also defeat
>>
>>68736373
are you false flagging?

why is that a thing?
>>
>>68738098
unless its part of their plan
>>
>>68733583
>everyone knows you shit your pants when you die
just like many women shit themselves when giving birth.
ask your mom whether she shat herself when she gave birth to you.
>>
>>68736251
>I hope you realize you're talking to at least two different people.

So? Why does that matter? We're all anonymous so, therefore, whats being debated are the ideas presented, not the people presenting them.
>>
>>68728566
The perfect disguise
>>
File: Clapcopseeinga dognut.gif (742 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Clapcopseeinga dognut.gif
742 KB, 320x240
>>68726776
The police truly were a bunch of ignorant, amateurish baffoons.
The Zodiac was obviously a sperging permavirgin manchild autist, most likely living with his mom - who in today's times would have most likely been an ace troll and shitposter on our Taiwanese tapestry board.
Their failure to capture him despite all the clues and facts they had about him is mind boggling and borders on deliberate sabotage.
He must have laughed his ass off till the day he died.
>>
>>68738409
>We're all anonymous so, therefore, whats being debated are the ideas presented, not the people presenting them.
Seriously. Get fucked m8. Your retarded ideas aren't some universal concept. They're you. Being fucking stupid. Your "ideas" only illustrate that you take issue with basic filmmaking and screenwriting standards, but more that you're a know-nothing tryhard newfag.

GO BACK TO
r
e
d
d
i
t
>>
>>68739303
Troll post or...?
>>
>>68737811
god this part pissed me off. It felt completely un natural and really really forced that they had to keep reiterating this imagery
>>
>>68740293
it's true. all of it
>>
>>68740293
Jog my memory. What was the animal crackers thing?
>>
Not a lot of people know this but there was some suspicion in Law Enforcement circles that Zodiac was a cop.

....probably too smart for a cop, but I know a guy who was an investigator for a department back then where one of the bodies was found, and he found himself under investigation due to his build and hair matching the description.
>>
>>68740589
Toschi was autistic about Animal Crackers.
>>
>>68740293
But everyone likes animal crackers.
>>
>tfw one of the zodiac murders happened in the nearby town and my sister won't watch it with me because she's scared

Also, it was a rite of passage in my town to go to the Zodiac shack which was just a shitty shack in the hills of Vallejo
>>
Why do they keep mentioning that Nightcrawler is a boy scout every 5 minutes? Is this movie trying to make people want to rape children?
>>
>>68741891
>Nightcrawler

?
>>
>>68741220
What's the Zodiac shack?
>>
>>68742404
Jake Gyllenhaal
>>
>>68728223
>that head spin after "not many people have basements in california"
>>
>>68731344
Same deal as Jack the Ripper, killed, taunted and got away with it
>>
>>68727740
ted cruz
>>
HE was the Zodiac you fools
>>
>>68733807
kek'd
>>
>>68730306
>Fincher's best movie by a hell of a long shot.

>I've never seen Fight Club
>>
>>68742722
http://www.zodiackiller.com/ZShack.html

Just a shitty little shack. I don't think it actually was where the Zodiac hid out, but it's creepy enough that the high schoolers use it to scare the younger kids
>>
>>68744102
Shot himself in the face and back like 8 times. HE FOOLED US ALL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI0jnsbZwys he's in this shit a bunch. ruined his mouth.
>>
Scorpio > Zodiac
>>
>>68744578
Looks creepy. Probably lots of beer cans and graffiti everywhere.
Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.