[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was he so depressed throughout the movie? And why did he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11
File: watchmen_dr-manhattan2.jpg (107 KB, 783x796) Image search: [Google]
watchmen_dr-manhattan2.jpg
107 KB, 783x796
Why was he so depressed throughout the movie? And why did he kill Rorscharch. I haven't seen this movie in years.
>>
>>68668684
>And why did he kill Rorscharch
Rorscharch was going to tell the world that New York alien was a fraud. That would put humanity again in the risk of nuclear war.
>>
He thought the world was going to end and was having an existential crisis

He also killed a lot of gooks and his god-like abilities gave him a disconnect from humanity, as evidenced in the scene where he fails to stop a murder (the comedian and his pregnant swamp rat wife).

Why give a fuck if it's just gonna be destroyed in thermonuclear warfare
>>
>>68668684

Because he saw the past and the future. I would be depressed knowing what would happen all the time.

Also rosarch was gonna tell the truth about the conspiracy! You can't have a piggy squeal so the Dr. turned him into raw shark meat.
>>
>>68668684
He wasn't depressed. He was detached. He had no reason to care about anything happening around him, it was all completely beneath him until his epiphany in the 3rd act.
>>
>>68668684
Because he saw everything on such a different level that humanity was not worth caring about. That and he could do anything and knows everything in his future; he'd get bored by it all, like when you cheat yourself into an unbeatable God in a video game, it's novel but gets boring eventually. That'd humanity to him.
>>
File: atom.jpg (238 KB, 700x553) Image search: [Google]
atom.jpg
238 KB, 700x553
>>
For being able to see into the future he sure was bad at thinking ahead.
>>
>>68668684
He's not sad, he just cares less and less. The more powerful he gets the less human he is and the less he feels attached to the human race. That's why he gradually wears less and less clothing, he doesn't care that it bothers us.
If you notice two ants fighting each other, you probably won't do anything about it. Well that's the case with Manhattan, he is an omniscient and omnipotent God, while we are all ants who would barely live long enough for him to notice our presence.
He KNOWS what he's supposed to feel, mostly due to him once being human, he no longer feel it.
He went god mode and got bored.
>>
>>68670959
The future is constantly changing.
>>
File: Carlos.jpg (4 KB, 168x192) Image search: [Google]
Carlos.jpg
4 KB, 168x192
>>68668684
Because he was constantly blueballed
>>
All the Watchmen are horrible people, hypocrites and asshole

Specifically, Manhattan is a lazy, arrogant hypocrite. He sticks around Earth fucking 16 year olds despite claiming to not care about anything.
>>
>>68668684
BECAUSE HE WAS BLUE
DABA DE DABA DIE
>>
File: Manhattan thinking.jpg (498 KB, 905x1430) Image search: [Google]
Manhattan thinking.jpg
498 KB, 905x1430
Disconnected from rest of humanity
>>
>>68672540
this issue, and even the sequence in the film, reach some of the highest highs of the medium, print or capekino
>>
the vision in aou is actually a more realistic or maybe balanced portrayal of what such a being would be like and what they would be thinking
as has been noted, none of what manhattan says really matters when you consider his actual acts
>>
>>68668684
being redpilled gives you depression
>>
>>68672540
>All we ever see of stars are their old photographs

Fuck, I keep forgetting how beautifully written that comic was.
>>
>>68668684
>I am stupid. Please kill me.
>>
File: Vince.jpg (40 KB, 1265x671) Image search: [Google]
Vince.jpg
40 KB, 1265x671
>>68668684
Because being a god was like blue balls for his heart
>>
>>68672723
yours sincerely
humanity
>>
>>68672636
Issue IV is a work of genius, I agree.
Imagine witnessing that in 1985.
>>
File: Watchmen 11 29.jpg (443 KB, 943x1516) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen 11 29.jpg
443 KB, 943x1516
Now that the atomic dust has finally settled, I think we can all agree best characters are Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias?
>>
File: Watchmen 11 30.jpg (541 KB, 887x1461) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen 11 30.jpg
541 KB, 887x1461
>>68672937
>>
File: Watchmen 11 31.jpg (427 KB, 878x1432) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen 11 31.jpg
427 KB, 878x1432
>>68672999
>>
File: Watchmen 11 32.jpg (456 KB, 886x1482) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen 11 32.jpg
456 KB, 886x1482
>>68673052
>>
>>68672999
>>68673052
I swear to god they didn't read this before casting Ozy
>>
>>68672780

Elegantly stated, my man.
>>
>>68670950
this kind of makes want to read before watchmen. Is its any good at all?>>68672937
>>68672999
>>68673052
>>68673099

How based can one man be?
>>
>>68672167
kek
>>
>>68668755
Youre referring to the comic. The movie ending was less complicated thus more retarded
>>
>>68673362
this

everyone in that movie was perfectly cast except for him
>>
Anyone ever watch the ultimate cut before?
Downloading it now with third world internet, pray for me
>>
>>68668684
>And why did he kill Rorscharch
Don't be a cunt and spoiler that shit you moron.
>>
I share oxygen with people so stupid they legitimately dont understand this guys character arc......

Its like the most obvious thing ever, like that whole montage about watches? you didnt get that? omg
>>
>>68674313
It's great.
I hope you have a big screen.
>>
>>68673927
Yes it's very good
>>
>>68673927
Its pretty good, and ozyman is even more of a dick in the comic, you'll like it
>>
>>68675585
I do but why?
>>
>>68673927
That image is from Morrison's The Multiversity. Before Watchmen sucks.
>>
>>68672540
Holy shit at that level of pottery
>>
Manhattan could literally eat a planet
>>
>>68672540
I should really read watchmen again. First time I actually skipped through most of manhattans parts cause they were too long and boring for my young pleb self
>>
>>68674094
that was literally the same as the movie ending except with the attack by dr.manhattan being a fruad
>>
>>68676942
>literally the same
The main deterrent of the US going rogue can't possibly have the same geopolitical consequences as a third party deterrent appearing out of nowhere anon.
It's fundamentally a whole different thing.
>>
>>68672477
Well, I know life is pointless, and actively practice non-attachment to things, but orgasms still feel good. You tellin' me if you were a god you'd forego 16 year old pussy?
>>
>>68668684
I'm a normal dude and I get depressed at how retarded 90% of people around me are. I can barely fathom how depressing it must be to achieve Dr. Manhattan's level of perception.
>>
>>68677203
If you're a good you wouldn't need a 16 year old pussy to feel good.
>>
>>68677368
or would you?
>>
>>68677368
This is false.
I can explain why better than anyone I believe because Manhattan is literally me.
He was there not giving a shit being all blue and powerful and shit and pussy flocked to him
He then proceeded to choose the youngest booty which is what he did not giving a fuck or feeling guilt because he was fucking accumulations of carbon on a fundamental level.
>>
>>68677718
>Manhattan is literally me
kek'd irl
gr8 b8 m8 r8 8/8
>>
>>68677103

Fucking this
>>
So Dr. Manhatten could be the size of a skyscraper if he chooses to be so..
He could break into multiple different bodies if he wanted too.
He could even "town down" his blue when the camera crew asked him.

He was in complete control of his appearance.

Why didn't he just take the form of the body he had before the accident?
>>
>>68668684
>And why did he kill Rorscharch.
Rorscharch's code forced him to tell the truth to the world. But the man behind the mask knew that would doom the entire world. He followed the "never compromise" code to the letter. If he was dead, there would be no moral dillema.
>>
File: o-SMUG-MAN-SUIT-facebook[1].jpg (543 KB, 1536x1902) Image search: [Google]
o-SMUG-MAN-SUIT-facebook[1].jpg
543 KB, 1536x1902
>>68677103
oh squid men, you silly
>>
>>68678524
>Why didn't he just take the form of the body he had before the accident?
why would he want to? >>68672540
>>
>>68672780
Damn that's actually well put.
>>
>>68668684
Because Dr Manhattan was a fucking normalfag before he attained his superpowers.

If he was a former NEET, he wouldn't experience the sudden disconnect from society because he has already been training himself to be a NEET Wizard.

All the superheroes who suffer in Watchmen were fucking normalfags.

Had all of them been NEETs, they wouldn't have suffered at all even when they gained their superpowers.
>>
>>68679085
>they wouldn't have suffered at all even when they gained their superpowers.

Only Dr. Manhattan gets superpowers. Your entire post is a mess.
>>
>>68668684
every character in this movie represents a different philosophy on morality.

>Dr. Manhatten is a scientific/nihilistic view. AKA there is no god (or ironically he is god) thus no moral epistemology exists and he doesn't see a reason why sand blowing around on mars is any more interesting than his girlfriend getting blown up.

>Rorshach is the classic Kantian/Christian view. There is right and wrong and black and white in everything. He lived in a world where everything had turned to corrupt degenerate shit whole. he looked at everything and saw it in black and white (just like the rorschach test is literally black and white and you can see whatever you want in it).

>Ozymandius is the utilitarian moral view. AKA way the pros and cons of your ethical decision and choose what does the most good or least bad. He is willing to do something bad if it results in greater good. His view of the world comes in direct conflict with Rorschach's which is why the conflict arises in the climax. These two moralities cannot exist at the same time. Either Adrian is right and they should lie and kill some people to stop the war OR Rorschach is right and they should never kill and let the justice of the corrupt society finish them off.

>the night owl and the girl are the normies. They aren't really thinking about what they do they are just along for the ride and they get some pleasure out of 'doing the right thing'.

Comedian represents the guy who is doing the right hting because its the law. He'll shoot gooks and rape and He knows that raping and killing gooks is bad but he does it anyway to parody the whole irony that because its sanctioned by the government or bc there is no law thats going to punish me its ok.

The story basically comes down to the utilitarian guy has to kill the law guy because what he's doing is against the law despite it being moral so they have conflict.

To answer your question. (1/2)
>>
>>68679211
>why sand blowing around on mars is any more interesting than his girlfriend getting blown up.

I see what you're saying but you picked the worst example considering Dr. Manhattan still loves Janey and does love Laurie.
>>
>>68679211
(2/2)
to answer your question

Rorschach believes the right hting to do is make sure that nobody ever does anything wrong. Ozymandius believes its ok to do some wrong of in the end you do greater good.

That scene in the comic they all sort of explain their differences if you pay attention.

Since Night Owl is really just along for hte ride he's willing to compromise whats right and wrong and side with adrian in this situation but Rorschach is not because he will never do anything wrong.

Dr. Manhatten doesn't really care who's right and just does what his friends want.

But really what is going on is Nihilism is killing off the humanity/Christian/Kantian ethic to promote some greater good that it is indifferent towards.

Its just commentary on ethics and really really great reading and kino. Surprising since the author is such a hippy wierdo.
>>
>>68679398
As Dr. Manhatten grows older he loses sense of time and also slowly loses his attachment to humanity. He knows intellectually he's supposed to love the older chick but he doesnt feel anything for her and tries to replace her with a younger woman to see if that solves the problem but it doesn't really. He's indifferent or atleast he's portrayed as moving towards indifference in the book. Thats why he doesn't care that shes with night owl.
>>
>depressed
He is so powerful that he no longer can relate to humanity.
>Why did he kill Rorschach?
Rorschach was an absolutist who was going to tell the world that Ozy was at fault for the bombs/psychic monster. For once, Dr. M realizes that he was not in control and accepts this for the betterment of humanity.

He wasn't depressed, guys. If you could see the past and future, complete control over matter, you would get a little bored with people.
>>
>>68679533
>Dr. Manhatten doesn't really care who's right and just does what his friends want.

What? He acquiesces to Veidt because not only did Veidt already do what he did and it can't be undone, but by exposing him the world peace is undone. Dr. Manhattan, through Laurie, discovers his love for humanity and he doesn't want to see the peace broken. It's not out of apathy or "just does what his friends want."

>>68679622
>but he doesnt feel anything for her

That's not true at all. Do you not remember when Janey appears during the interview? He's clearly disheartened that he had that affect on her.

>Thats why he doesn't care that shes with night owl.

He doesn't care because it wouldn't work out.
>>
>>68679771
I mean you can interpret it differnetly but he 'finds his humanity' on mars by deciding that since human life is so rare its important. He also wants his GF to be happy because he knows he's supposed to but he even says he doesn't condemn or condone adrian he's just understands what he's doing. Meanwhile his gf his nagging begging him to stop rorschach.
>>
>>68679931
>but he 'finds his humanity' on mars by deciding that since human life is so rare its important

Friendo, he finds humanity because through the terrible relationship that Blake had with Laurie's mother, something as wonderful and beautiful as Laurie was born. He decides on that alone that humanity is worth protecting.

> He also wants his GF to be happy because he knows he's supposed to but he even says he doesn't condemn or condone adrian he's just understands what he's doing

But he doesn't do that for her, in both the comic and the movie Laurie is against keeping quiet and is convinced by Manhattan to keep quiet. Laurie doesn't even tell Dr. Manhattan to kill Rorschach, I think it's been a while since you read the comic or watched the movie man.
>>
>>68670561
>Why give a fuck if it's just gonna be destroyed in thermonuclear warfare
He didn't really give that much of a shit about the world ending because he thought he was going to be destroyed. He knew he couldn't be destroyed. He could be on Mars and Earth at the same time, and wasn't really composed of matter.

He was generally having an existential crisis knowing that he was an all-seeing god and that humanity was just a flash in the pan.

He even says that he was excited about the prospect of some kind of doomsday event, and not knowing what was coming.
>>
>>68673927
That's not from Watchmen, but Watchmen is probably the best graphic novel ever written. Read that shit you fucking nerd.
>>
File: pleb.gif (1 MB, 250x233) Image search: [Google]
pleb.gif
1 MB, 250x233
>>68677718
>because Manhattan is literally me.
>literally
>>
He fucks off to create his own life. What if humanity, and Manhattan by extension, are the result of an alien species' version of Manhattan?
>>
>>68674094
>describes something similar
>NO DUMPDUMP TAHTS IN DA MUH COMIX >:(
>>
>>68668684
Because he sees everything, past present and future, and therefore sees how foolish humans really are, the whole point is to prove the Comedian was right, from the minute we can stand upright, humans have been trying to find the best way to kill each other.

Manhattan wasn't human, but was evolved enough to know what it's like, and it made him sad, and then indifferent.

He killed Rorschach because he was going to break down the peace Veidt had created, and Rorschach would rather die than live with the lie, Manhattan, being indifferent, obliged Rorschach's wish.
>>
>>68679085
a kv loser neet superhero would be interesting

>why should i save these normies? they always mocked me, let them suffer
>>
>>68677718
>Manhattan is literally me

You have to be fuckin kidding me right now
>>
>>68683472
I hope this has been done, I'd love to see how a miserable introvert would approach the superhero ethics dilemma.
>>
>>68668684
Man, the more i think about it, the more i realize how geniously written this character is.
>>
>>68684595
>>
>>68683472
Chronicle is sort of on that theme.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.