[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Genuinely interested in watching this >first hour and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: asd.jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
7 KB, 275x183
>Genuinely interested in watching this
>first hour and we don't learn anything about the characters
>the only thing carrying the movie along is pop culture songs from the 80s that are fading in and out every 5 minutes

Why is scorc do this?

if you watched this movie 100 years from now, it would be complete shit because "muh nostalgia music" would not pull the weight of the film
>>
>the only thing carrying the movie along is pop culture songs from the 80s that are fading in and out every 5 minutes

yep it's a scorc movie alright
>>
wolf of wall street is literally just a black comedy film with skit after skit with a little bit of a plot to connect them all

that being said its still a great film. but don't expect the traditional goodfellas formula
>>
>>68652104

learn how to watch film
>>
>>68652192

I sat all the way through without texting :^)
>>
>>68652240
Don't you ever fucking reply to me unless you've got useful input.
>>
>>68652104
it's basically 3 hours of "rich kids of instagram".

I can understand why normies like it but it's not for me.
>>
>>68652104
I felt that this movie only succeeds on showing excessive wealth and debauchery and hoping that the spectacle of it is enough to entertain.

L I T T E R A L L Y a turn your brain of and enjoy movie.

Zero character development, barely a plot, no likable characters whatsoever. As a flick it was engaging, as a film is was awful.
>>
>>68652137
Historically he's used the constant barrage of pop culture music as an indicator of time sort of chugging along and the characters coasting, then cuts the soundtrack and uses silence to cue the truly heavy moments. It's usually quite effective, and he pulled it off in WoWS as well, using the silence both to its usual in the dark, dramatic scene of Belfort hitting his wife and driving out with the kids, but also during the movie's comic highlight with the quaaludes at the country club.
>>
>>68652320
Jordan's character development sort of flatlines after he founds Stratton Oakmont. I thought that with the film, Scorsese was going to show us how the timid guy we see in Matthew McConaughey's scene turns into an amoral, debaucherous monster. But no, he takes drugs for the first time, and we're expected to believe that's the sole catalyst for his overnight transformation.

I enjoyed the movie, but it's the most thematically shallow of all his work.
>>
>>68653243
>he takes drugs for the first time, and we're expected to believe that's the sole catalyst for his overnight transformation.

It wasn't the drugs, though that presented a clear introduction to the cracked-out character he became. The moment McCounaghey introduced him to the wide, nihilistic expanse of Wall Street, it split Belfort wide open and he succumbed to the temptation almost instantly. The suggestion is that everything he had at the beginning was a wafer-thin facade of decency put on because he didn't have access to the necessary resources to be a debauched hedonist, and any pretentions he had of "morality" were just rationalizations for the fact that he couldn't have what he wanted, so instead he could pretend he didn't want it. But he absolutely did, and immediately took as much as possible the moment he got the chance. The implication is that all people would do the same that Belfort did, and all our personas are hiding an animal who desperately wants the things Belfort has.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.