[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
polarizing films general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: FandlinLV[1].jpg (52 KB, 300x446) Image search: [Google]
FandlinLV[1].jpg
52 KB, 300x446
>see this recommended on /tv/
>watch it with friends
>half of them didnt like it, the other half gets pissed that they didnt get it
>everybody yells at each other about it for half an hour
>everyone gets pissed and leaves and take all my pizza with them

Thanks for the rec, /tv/
>>
dude drugs lmao
>>
dude american dream lmao
>>
Why cant Depp act this good anymore?
>>
>>68627704
It's not a movie about shit that happens, it's a movie about how fucked up Hunter S. Thompson is
>>
>>68627704
This movie is a massive piece of shit.
It's just something fedoras wank over to feel intellectual and classy.
>>
>>68627704
man, your friends suck
>>
>>68627704
>see comments online
>they're almost universally about how the movie is great to watch when you're high
>>
>>68627704
I don't get why everybody loves this and Big Lebowski, nothing fucking happens, they're all about drug experiences, and only people who do drugs care about that shit
>>
>>68627704
I tried watching it again. It is terrible.
>>
>>68628258
Big Lebowski was the last time Tara Reid looked fuckable
>>
>>68627704
>>68628200
if you need drugs to understand a movie, then its probably not a good movie.
>>
>>68627704
>watching movies with friends

This is where you fucked up
>>
>>68628258
Pseudo-intellectual tripe that it's not even pseudo-intellectual for people to feel smart and wank over being knowledgeable about movies.
>>
>>68628372
but drugs expand your brain man, you just dont get it xD
>>
>>68627704

Inherent Vice and Scanner Darkly did the trying to do something while fucked on drugs shtick way better
>>
>>68627704
>time to write an article on a motorcycle race
>let's do drugs too
>shit it's fucked, go back to a hotel
>shit we trashed it, let's do more drugs
>shit it's fucked, go to another hotel
>shit we trashed it, let's do more drugs
>the american dream is dead and the hippie movement was powerful but utterly useless
>The End
>>
>>68628410
>feel smart and wank over being knowledgeable about movies

Jesus fuck, everybody knows these movies. Why is /tv/ so damn fucking contrarian and even suck at that?
>>
>>68627704
It's time for new friends
>>
>>68627704
>polarizing films

This is an interesting little experiment: post a picture of Into The Wild on this board and it's almost guaranteed you'll get half loving the guy and saying he was cool for doing what he was doing, and half saying he was a fucking dumbass and he deserved to die in the woods.
>>
>>68627704
This works way better as a book imo. It's hard to take it as a stream of consciousness interpretive kind of thing when you're seeing it happen on the screen.
>>
The only reason people like this movie is "it perfectly recreates what an acid trip is like dude!"
>>
how the fuck are people able to watch a movie together in the same room?
Wouldn't you rather have a conversation or something else more productive?
>>
>>68629964
You clearly never was on acid.
>>
File: man-from-earth[1].jpg (205 KB, 500x563) Image search: [Google]
man-from-earth[1].jpg
205 KB, 500x563
>>
>>68628258
>nothing fucking happens
a god damn shit ton happens in The Big Lebowski are you fucking kidding
just because no cities are getting blown up doens't mean nothing fucking happens
>>
>>68630320
But it's all irrelevant, because the whole setup was a misunderstanding and resolved itself anyways

And he never even got his fucking rug back
>>
>>68627704
>it took some of you this long to watch fear and loathing

you and your friends are fucking plebs

get the fuck out of this place you bitch nigger
>>
>>68630397
>And he never even got his fucking rug back
exactly nigger that's the tragedy of the whole story
Big Lebowski has what some may call an unsatisfying ending but I feel it works great for the film. It's a film about nihilism after all and in the end truly nothing that has happened meant anything
>>
>>68630397
>babbys first Cohen movie
>>
A Clockwork Orange is the most polarizing movie of all time. It gets even more and more divisive as time goes on. But at least people are still talking about it, I guess.
>>
You murricans really consider this an "intelligent movie"? The only even remotely deep part is when thompson has his monologue about falling dying hippie ideas
>>
>>68630937
>muh intelligence muh intellectualism
it's a fun fucking movie you autists
>>
>>68628040
You're not Portuguese man
>>
File: black_mass.jpg (31 KB, 585x300) Image search: [Google]
black_mass.jpg
31 KB, 585x300
>>68627987

FUCK YOU SAY RAT FUCKING SHIT?
>>
>>68627704

watched it in a little cinema in my city for free a few years ago with my friends, and we loved it, maybe it's because we didn't know the movie and we didn't expect something great?
>>
>>68628410
No you are thinking of Beyond The Black Rainbow
>>
>>68628468
inherent vice still isn't good though
>>
>>68627704
I used this movie as a litmus test for potential friends back in the day, mostly too see if people liked the absurdist elements and the great lines thrown about. I'll never claim it's any kind of masterpiece, but if you don't like it we probably won't click very well.
>>
Calling Fear and Loathing a "good movie" is sort of misguiding.

It's totally committed to feeling like a seedy drug bindge, for better or worse.
>>
>>68633947
What absurdness is there that isn't "lel drugs" tho?
>>
>>68634706
I hate to say this but you probably need to have at least some experience with the effect drugs have on people to appreciate Fear's style.

It captures the absurd comedy and sad undertone drug-use has very well.
>>
>>68633947
Sounds pretty autistic desu
>>
>>68634706
I'd say that one does not preclude the other.
>>
>>68634943
My only experience is more related to the diner scene so I didn't really find the comedy in it.

I like absurdist shit, but I feel like in Fear and Loathing it's only there for the sake of showing off drugs
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 350x208) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 350x208
Tssssst Underages ohhh Unerages

again you are surfing tv

ohhh underaged

pity that a movie so simple like this one is hard to follow for you.

Underages, trust me, once you grow up you too will understand a movie this simple and straight forward.
>>
>>68627704
This movie drags on way too long.
>>
>>68628372

Woah can you share another slice of that wisdom pie i'm starving over here

sincerely,
a guy who doesn't even do drugs
>>
>>68634948
It worked out about as good as you'd expect. I'm still friends with the people who got it some 15 years later. Chicks generally didn't see the point of it.
>>
>>68628258

the big lebowski wasn't about drugs
it wasn't even about -a- drug

the big lebowski was about how shit happens TO a dude who doesn't DO shit.
it's about bothering a poor son of a bitch who just wants to sit in his hole.
it's god himself going "fuck you, you're going to have a profound life whether you like it or not"

and even still he manages not. to do it.

never underestimate the power of not caring.
>>
>>68633947
What if I didn't like this but did like, say, Big Lebowski? In that case I feel the absurdness at least led to something, in this case I feel like the getting trashed parts and the American dream is dead parts were kinda unrelated
>>
>>68628258
>I don't get why everybody loves this and Big Lebowski, nothing fucking happens.

F&L and the Big Lebowski are two of my favourite comedies because they are movies that don't even feel like they are trying to be comedies.

Like many other comedies, they lack a greater point, because the point is that they are supposed to make you laugh. Yet these two movies don't even do that, they are directed and written in such a way that they don't even come off as trying to be funny, never does it feel like a joke is being blatantly presented to you.

Which is why they are so fucking funny.
>>
>>68635429
I thought Lebowski was hilarious but F&L was just disturbing. I don't even know why, looking back they are very similar
>>
>>68635509
Both movies have sad undertones because they take place in real periods of time and are very much based on real kinds of people

Big Lebowski acknowledges that the Dude is a deadbeat but it never dwells on it. It's a realistic setting with a more positive outlook. Fear is very much about the end of the hippie wave. It's the bad hangover of the 70's. Fear dwells a lot in that misery.
>>
>>68628372
You don't need to understand but it makes the experience more immersive (for me at least, with pot):I had to stop watching Eraserhead because I was too fucking scared.
>>
The book was meant to capture a moment in history, that's all.

Once upon a time, you had things like "expense accounts" and there weren't instant databases connecting everything. If you worked in business, you could get a lot of things paid for and the hotel business wasn't pure profit because you occasionally rented a room to a deadbeat.

Once upon a time, you could kind of get away with some shit. AND THAT'S OVER.

That's what the American Dream is all about, the idea that you could fuck up, fuck up GRANDLY, and still have a chance at hauling yourself up by your bootstraps later on. That's over. It's all sex offender registries and credit scores.

Thompson sees the failure of the hippie dream with a cynical eye, and here he has a chance to roam around in a drug frenzy on someone else's dime, possibly for the last time this can happen in history, when magazines meant something.
>>
the human spirit is dying. i am happy about that. you should all just give up and just start hurting others before they hurt you
>>
Polar Express.
>>
>>68635509
It's probably the realization that there are actual people that are that fucked up and go through life like that even today
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.