[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which would blow up a Death Star faster, the Enterprise D or the DS9?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5
File: tn9.jpg (119 KB, 1435x1080) Image search: [Google]
tn9.jpg
119 KB, 1435x1080
Which would blow up a Death Star faster, the Enterprise D or the DS9?
>>
>>68245813
The one that can move.
>>
>>68245813
Did DS9 even have weapons capability.
>>
>>68245813
You gonna spam the board with starshit all night, faggot?
>>
>>68245863

pretty sure it had phaser banks. no torpedoes.

not a big trek fan, but liked some DS9
>>
Ds9 got upgraded for the dominion war and became a battle station armed with a kajillion torpedoes and phaser banks. Enterprise would win though because of Picard and Riker.
>>
>>68246118
>Enterprise would win though because of Picard and Riker.
I don't know. It probably is time for Enterprise F.
>>
>>68245863
>>68245971
DS9 was armed to the fucking teeth, including phaser banks and rotary torpedo launchers

Enterprise wins because of plot power
>>
>>68245863
DS9 was retrofitted early on in the show. In one episode they had hundreds of torpedoes locked onto a vessel at once, so yeah it's weapons capabilities as a station dwarf the enterprise.
>>
>>68246453
but it can't move
>>
>>68245813
Why is this even a comparison?

This is what ticks me off about sci fi nerds. Both universes are clearly retarded but they insist on saying one is more scientific than the other.

The volume of the Death Star is greater therefore it has far more room for power generation therefore it has greater power output which means shields, weapons, life support, all of it is at greater capacity. So this shouldn't even be an argument.

But without a doubt I'll have fags from both sides come in and tell me why their retardpedo-3000 system just fucks physics and common sense up the ass because god forbid your stupid little show/movie make any god damn sense ever.
>>
>>68246514
in the first fucking episode they move it to the wormhole under its own power
>>
>>68246694
>durr deathstar is bigger so its better sci-fi dummies!

most inane post of the night
>>
>>68246801
>It took on a fleet of klingon ships after starfleet upgraded it.
Plot armor station

Who has ever seen one or two torpedoes destroy a shielded ship before?
>>
>>68246881
My logic isn't bad just because you decide to paraphrase and trivialize it. Its radius is 120 kms, that's a massive volume which would allow for a massive amount of power generation compared to the other two options.
>>
>>68246949

>Who has ever seen one or two torpedoes destroy a shielded ship before?

common sight in the dominion war
>>
File: size.png (1 MB, 1235x841) Image search: [Google]
size.png
1 MB, 1235x841
>>68246960
It's not as big as most think.
>>
I'd say the enterprise, it'd be a lot harder to hit with the deathstar planet killing laser, which is all that really matters. No one cares if you got bigger guns if you're dust before you can fire them.
>>
File: 1460163719033.jpg (33 KB, 1000x280) Image search: [Google]
1460163719033.jpg
33 KB, 1000x280
>>68247034

ds2 is 900km, the original prop master said so

what some nobody wrote in a book 30 years later is irrelevant and i have no idea why wookiepedia recognizes it over the guy who did the actual model work
>>
>>68246949
torpedoes have different yields so its feasible
>>
>>68246514
No shit it's a orbital refinery station not a star ship.

>>68246703

The only propulsion the station has is a set or adjustment thrusters to corrct orbit around bajor.They used those to push the station a mere few hundred thousand kilometers so they could set up a beach head it the mouth of the worm hole to keep the Cardassians from taking it over. DS9 can't travel to other star systems
>>
>>68247034
It's still massive. Correction from before I mistakenly read 120 kms as the radius, it's the width.

Even adjusted for the correct radius you're looking at 9.05×10^5 km^3, that's a lot of space for reactors.
>>
>>68247153

Meanwhile the death star can actually travel faster than any Federation ship. Exponentially faster.

In star trek it would take a lifetime to cross the galaxy. Much of the action takes place in a single quadrant for a reason and without wormholes they would have never been able to get very far.

In Star wars they can go from one end to the other in very little time.
>>
>>68247034
Starkiller was a fucking planet
>>
>star wars
cross the galaxy in a matter of days, to a matter of hours depending on route
>federation
cross the galaxy in 70 years with the fastest vessel

>star wars
swat asteroids out of the sky, blow up entire planets with destructive firepower alone (no technobabble shenanigans like red matter)
>federation
enterprise D spends an entire episode looking for a way to move an asteroid out of its dangerous course

>star wars
construct a 900km death star in a couple years, imperial fleet consists of thousands of star destroyers and hundreds of thousands of smaller vessels
>federation
federation has maybe a couple hundred capital ships until the dominion war demands they be able to manufacture mass quantites for bad CGI battles

>star wars
empire consists of millions of planets covering like half the galaxy
>federation
consists of like 300 member planets

>star wars
civilization has been spacefaring for over a thousand generations
>federation
has been spacefaring for 300 years

its not even a comparison

also turbolasers are not lasers
>move massively slower than light
>visible outside their direction of travel
>create appreciable recoil when fired, also strike targets with appreciable momentum
>cause damage explosively, not thermally

referring to weapons, turbo'laser' is essentially a slang term like 'lightspeed' isnt actually the speed of light
>>
>>68247306

dwarf planet based on that hologram

its actually only a tiny fraction the volume of our moon, unless the hologram was wildly inaccurate which wouldnt make sense since they were trying to show its large size relative to the death star
>>
>>68247306
And I calculated it to be about the size of Texas.
>>
didnt kirks enterprise blow up a giant thing that ate worlds like 150 years before ds9 or tng, seems like the death star wouldnt be shit then
>>
>>68247371
>>68247034
Is DS9 or the Enterprise bigger than any of those?
>>
>>68247428
You're assuming they play by each others rules. Specifically you assume the DS would play by ST rules.

see:
>>68247307
Star Wars capabilities are more impressive.
>>
ds9 was a tiny re-purposed cardassian refinery wouldnt a better match be something like earth spacedock
>>
>>68247307
Calling turbolasers "lasers" is like calling laser cannons "cannons".
>>
>>68246231
>DS9 was armed to the fucking teeth, including phaser banks and rotary torpedo launchers

You can't fool me with thoron fields and duranium shadows, anon.
>>
>>68247307
The problem is the tech doesn't make sense. They can build city planets and colonize the galaxy yet there is no replicators and holodecks? Couldn't even give Vader new lungs/skin.
>>
>>68247688
>holodecks

Oh yes holodecks are helpful. They jeopardize the crew or even the entire ship at least once a season.

>Oh that Moriarty program is at it again!
>>
>>68247743
I would kill your whole family for a holodeck.
>>
>>68247907
I take that back. My mom said I had to apologize.
>>
>>68247688

replicators are based on transporter technology that is absolute nonsense and exist merely as a plot device and to save on set costs and time for TOS. Star Wars simply doesnt have transporters in that its really possible in universe, though there might be some instance of some experimental transporter type tech in the EU old somewhere

In the old EU they did have something vaguely analogous to replicators, but they couldnt turn literal shit into a nice three course turkey dinner with garnishes. They were used simply to modify molecular structures and turn materials into one another and produce basic manufacturing goods and materials

star wars has the technology for holographic images projected into air from a single emitter, so a rudimentary form of holodecks would have to be creatable, but since holodecks in star trek also rely on transporters and replicators (as per later information on the shows) they certainly wouldnt be as real. The empire probably banned them because of degeneracy anyways
>>
>>68247688
replicators are retarded nonsense.
>>
>>68248069
Also transporters kill whoever uses them.
>>
File: Yqj10Bw.gif (3 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
Yqj10Bw.gif
3 MB, 359x202
>>68248072
WAT
>>
>>68248202
that is in no way a replicator
>>
>>68248224
What will technology like that look like in the 24th century?
>>
>>68248069

>transporters have the ability to take apart a human's mass, convert it into energy, and use that energy to recreate said human's mass somewhere else
>federation bothers with fucking antimatter-matter annihilation for power when it can literally deconstruct mundane ordinary matter directly into energy

it's amazing that star wars somehow manages to have more realistic (well more like less unrealistic) demonstrations of technology than star trek
>>
>>68248281
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation
>>
>>68248312

except that is literally not how transporters were explained to work
>>
>>68248312
>Although the name is inspired by the teleportation commonly used in fiction, there is no relationship outside the name, because quantum teleportation concerns only the transfer of information. Quantum teleportation is not a form of transportation, but of communication

why did you post this
>>
>>68248380
>why did you post this
>>68248434

Because it is 2016 and like the butterfly these small advances will lead to something big.
>>
>>68247688
>Couldn't even give Vader new lungs/skin.
Vader was given shit so he would forever remember that he's nothing more than Palpatines dog.
>>
>>68248586
Then why couldn't they grow a hand for Luke?
>inb4 rebellion budget crunch
>>
>>68248642
They gave him a robo hand with realistic skin, SW tech can only go so far.
>>
File: ackchually.png (24 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
ackchually.png
24 KB, 200x200
>>68247276
What if Star Wars is in a much smaller galaxy?
>>
>>68247358
I didn't realize that. Why the fuck did it have trees and snow and shit, or earthlike gravity for that matter? Man people are right, Starwars isn't scifi.
>>
>>68247153
>They used those to push the station a mere few hundred thousand kilometers
They moved it from orbiting Bajor 11 to a point between Bajor 9 and 10, planetary orbits are in the region of 10s of millions, not hundreds of thousands.

I don't have time to check right now but I'm sure they mention a distance or travel time in the episode.
>>
>>68248873
If it has enough power to vacuum up a star, I'd guess that they can use gravity well projectors or some other known SW tech to hold the atmosphere in and keep the temperature bearable.
>>
>>68249039
>planetary orbits are in the region of 10s of millions

Planetary orbits aren't universal distances.
>>
Where is the battle being fought?

Star wars ships can only travel fast if they're in their own galaxy.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.