[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Time travel plot devices:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: main_quad_aw__23524__looper.jpg (1 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
main_quad_aw__23524__looper.jpg
1 MB, 4000x3000
How do you have one of these without having tons of plot holes or inconsistencies , while also have it be a major plot point.
>>
>>68230280
Unless you can actually prove that Time Travel is possible IRL, you'll never have it be 100% plot hole free.
>>
>>68230280
Schrodinger's Cat is woven into the mechanics or Stephen King's Reset button is quite a good tool to factor out frayed strings.
>>
>>68230280

You cant have plot holes or inconsistencies regarding time travel you idiot.

Its literally science fiction, nobody knows if its even possible for humans to time travel let alone understand its impacts
>>
>>68230362
>Time Travel
I know personally that the future has already come to pass, but time travel seems to be impossible.
>>
>>68230280
>Implying the point to Looper wasn't to be a plot hole
>>
>>68230430 (you)
'
>>
>>68230531
Looper is full of them, it's really dumb if you analyze it critically, but it is a great movie.
>>
>>68230430
but the same thing always comes down to:
>character goes back in time to change something.
>thing that he changes should mean that he would never came back in the first place.
The entire debate is always should the time traveler fade away because he would never have gone back. Or be like DBZ where different time lines are created and traveling between them doesn't effect the other.
>>
File: ss10.jpg (127 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ss10.jpg
127 KB, 1024x768
>>68230493
>I know personally that the future has already come to pass
>>
>tfw we are all traveling forwards in time at the rate of 1sec/sec
>>
>>68230909
Nah more like 1 minute/minute
>>
>>68230493
>>
>>68230947
except acceleration standard units are rate/second

i guess you cant go back in time and pay attention in physics class
>>
File: jesus_thumbs_up.jpg (24 KB, 320x278) Image search: [Google]
jesus_thumbs_up.jpg
24 KB, 320x278
>>68231007
except we are not accelerating we are traveling at a constant speed.

and acceleration is rate/second^2
>>
>>68231161
no because rate is already thing/sec
so its rate/second
making it thing/sec/sec

and of course its a constant speed, because the acceleration is 1/1 making it a constant ya dingus
>>
>>68230280
Well take a look at how heinlein did it with By his own bootstraps, or all you zombies (which was remade into Predestination). Heinlein didn't think much of paradox, the only change is your point of reference. There is no point in being careful because if you're your on grandpa, then there's no way out of the situation and whatever you're GOING to do, you HAVE done already. You can't go back and assassinate Hitler because hitler wasn't assassinated.

So basically the best way to do a good time travel movie is to have it focus ON the paradox or causality loop, and how its resolved.

Check out "Time Crimes" for a small scale time travel story that uses the time travel device to explain the weird happenings.
>>
>>68231277
when travelling at a constant speed acceleration is 0 not 1/1
>>
Either alternate reality time travel, like Star Trek 2009, or one where there's only one timeline and no matter what you do you can't stop inevitable things from happening and everything that happens, happens.

Every other type (Marty McFly disappearing from his family photo, old Paul Dano's finger's getting cut off as his younger self is tortured) make no sense and trigger the fuck out of my autism.
>>
>>68231534
the rate is 1/1 ya dingus
yes the constant means the accel. is 0

but thats doesnt mean there isnt a rate. otherwise time would be standing still
>>
>>68231768
>not knowing earth has 4 cornered days
>>
>>68230280
You don't obviously..the best way is to make it a background element that sets up the premise rather than driving the plot forward.
>>
stick your tongue firmly in your cheek, or rely on suspension of disbelief. Don't explain too much, since it never works.
>>
>>68231768
The speed is constant. accelerating implies that your speed is increasing/decreasing which it isn't. Even in this case acceleration is still 0.

>but thats doesnt mean there isnt a rate. otherwise time would be standing still
i didn't say that there wasn't
>>
By making sure it wraps itself up completely.

Timecrimes does it absolutely positively fucking perfectly.
>>
>>68231548
this
>>
>>68230700
such plots can work if the character has no idea what they're doing until after they've done it

like predestination
>>
There are less plot holes in stories where
>The character go back and merge with his former self

than

>The character doesn't merge and meets his former self which would fuck everything up anyway
>>
>>68231277
>>68231161
time is accelerating though. This is observable in how the universe's expansion is accelerating. Which indicates time is in a state of deceleration.
>>
>>68232455
fuck you man at least the acceleration is 0 guy was good banter
>>
>>68232529
sorry ._.
>>
File: God-vs-Science.jpg (59 KB, 450x323) Image search: [Google]
God-vs-Science.jpg
59 KB, 450x323
>>68232455
>talking about rate in which humans experience time.
>Impossible for humans to experience special relativity.
>still 0
>god made it that way
>>
Man Looper was such a cool movie.
>>
>>68232796
But we can observe phenomena occurring outside of our frame of reference, and therefore, infer changes in the state of our state of reference.
>>
File: image.jpg (176 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176 KB, 500x500
>>68230280
I own Brothers Bloom but still haven't watched it yet. What am I missing?
>>
>>68230280
Be a scifi writer doing a screenplay, not a screenplay writer doing scifi
>>
>>68232888

>no Rainmaker spinoff movie

Nothing worse than a subplot dying prematurely
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.