[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jesus Christ! Why is this movie so brutal? And why is everyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
Jesus Christ! Why is this movie so brutal? And why is everyone so vulgar?
>>
>>68222494
Because it's fucking war, and people in a warzone don't give a fuck about talking "clean". I refuse to even dignify the first part with an answer.
>>
This is too fucking nihilistic. I'm too old for this shit.
>>
Are they still forcing teen nerds to murder people in US Army?
>>
>>68222494
>Why is this movie so brutal?
Because it is set during wartime

>And why is everyone so vulgar?
That made it appear more realistic to me. I served my conscription time in a Panzerbataillon and I've never met such no-fucks-giving, block headed cunts ever since. Frankly I enjoyed it. Both the movie and the time in the Panzerbataillon.
>>
>>68223117
Yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maywand_District_murders
>>
Because Saving Private Ryan opened with a brutal and vulgar act, and people think that's what you need nowadays to make a good WWII movie.
>>
>>68223057
Ah fury, the movie in which elite tiger commander orders to charge pitiful american tank and not just stay back and rape it. Holywood at its best.
>>
>>68223057
are you like 12?
>>
>>68222494
Because the War was vulgar and brutal
>>
>>68223418
The 76 mm gun on the Sherman E8 could have penned that tiger easily. The mistake is the Shermans charging it.

In fact the Bovington Tank Museum (whose vehicles were used in the film) warned the filmmakers that they were getting it wrong, but the filmmakers promptly ignored them.
>>
>>68222494
Brutal I would have to say is necessary if you want to depict accurate combat during the Second World War.
For example regarding fire deaths: Flame throwers were widely used and they called Sherman Tanks Bronson's (after the lighter) because they would go up so easily.
Regarding the cussing, that I'm not too sure about. They could be very vulgar I suspect but I also think it was much more reserved when it came to bad language because Christianity was taken much more seriously.
>>
>>68222494

I felt like it tried to hard.
>>
>>68222494
this movie was terrible
>HURRDURR five guys can take down a whole german army.
>>
>>68222494

so are contrarians still pretending this is literally the worst movie ever?
>>
>>68223660

>5 guys in a tank can take on a whole bunch of germans

MUH SUPER SOLDIER SS MEME!
>>
>>68223869
I hope not. I've always liked it, I thought /tv/ would like it too but as soon as I got back from the theaters and posted about how much I loved it I got shat on. All the stormfags from /pol/ were pissed that nazis were getting cucked so hard.
>>
>>68223299
SPR set the tone for ww2 for Americans.
>>
>grenades explode next to Brad Pitt
>not even a scratch
>>
>>68223984
>Muh strawmanning
There is a reason Germany conquered most of Europe.
Fucking kill yourself
>>
>>68224037
>...All the stormfags from /pol/ were pissed that nazis were getting cucked so hard.
What you gonna do though?
Its a Hollywood blockbuster and you're gonna end up with a remake of the big red one if you don't show some US tank kicking Nazi ass.
But it has to be said that by the end of the war the refitted Sherman's with bigger main gun's were starting to kick Nazi ass. The Sherman armor was still shit though.
All in all, a bit far fetched but I forgave the movie because there are not many tank movies.
>>
>>68224185
>There is a reason Germany conquered most of Europe.
Because most of Europe is shit? Hitler literally admitted that had the Allies acted immediately when they invaded Poland, the war would have ended right there.
>>
File: 600px-Tiger_131_(4).jpg (34 KB, 600x249) Image search: [Google]
600px-Tiger_131_(4).jpg
34 KB, 600x249
LE LASER TRACERS
>>
>>68223597

This, so much

Everyone always says it's unrealistic because the Tiger didn't win.

No, it's unrealistic because the Sherman didn't win sooner.

The gun on Fireflies/Easy 8's would have made swiss cheese from the range they were shooting the tiger. It would have been over in one shot.

I doubt a Tiger would "ambush" four fucking tanks at a time in an extremely open field anyway. Especially if the commander saw the Firefly/Easy 8
>>
File: no_like_2.jpg (44 KB, 385x385) Image search: [Google]
no_like_2.jpg
44 KB, 385x385
>>68223196
>>68222494
its called brutalisation. It indicates weak script. Author cannot convey proper message and instead uses simple images and descriptions (like at the table during dinner) to make the viewer interested.
>And why is everyone so vulgar?
Yes, war is vulgar, but see above. Author does not have interesting story and thats why uses vulgar language to add any value to the movie.

There is no other conclusion about this movie than its pile o fucking shit.
>>
>>68224185
>There is a reason Germany conquered most of Europe.

theres a reason they lost the war you retard.

Audie Murphy and the Battle of Castle Itter were pretty much the same thing, a small tank crew holding off hoards of german and SS troops.

I bet youre one of those basic bitches who thinks "OMG THE PANZER WAS THE BEST TANK EVER!"
>>
>>68222494
>waffen ss are trained to run back and forth in front of a machine gun.

>pak 40s can't hit a slow moving target 400 yards away coming directly at them

The villains in this movie are clearly the American military
>killing POWs
>using white phosphorous
>raping and pilligaing
>>
>>68224459
This.
The film is just like Inglorious Basterds, but with American troops instead of Jewish guerrillas.
>>
>>68224383
>I doubt a Tiger would "ambush" four fucking tanks at a time in an extremely open field anyway. Especially if the commander saw the Firefly/Easy 8
By the closing of the war the German's had no choice but to ambush and then fall back. They were always outnumbered and outgunned.

>..."OMG THE PANZER WAS THE BEST TANK EVER!"
I'd have to say yes.
Where would you rather want to sit?
In a Tiger or Sherman?
What about being in a Panther?

>>68224495
Also with Brad Pitt
>>
>>68224383
>over in one shot
Tank kill shots show almost 0 kills via front hits

Also no tiger would be in an open field as they would be very concerned with aircraft
>>
File: tsom.jpg (228 KB, 1189x700) Image search: [Google]
tsom.jpg
228 KB, 1189x700
Pic related is the most complex and interesting examination of WWII ever put on film. Fight me IRL if you disagree.
>>
>>68224423
Except your a tard and you didn't seem to get that it was an incredibly well executed coming of age movie set against the backdrop of the second world war.
>>
>>68224439
That was from range and Audie Murphy needed artillery support.

This isn't the same in fury at all. The guys are pinned in a tank, the ss are very close and have visible cover on one side to flank the tank.

Instead the Germans run back in forth in an open field and still are getting raped after dark. It's fucking retArded
>>
>>68224549
>I'd have to say yes.

you are objectively wrong and pretty much everyone even a little bit into WW2 history knows the T-34 is the best tank

But the main criticism I seen thrown at this movie is basically people bitching because they think the germans were some sort of invincible super soldiers who could literally never lose for some reason
>>
>>68224603
Swiss Navy. Navy...
>>
>>68224439
>he thinks the film is a real depiction of the war

lmao, the soviets won the war and with a hilariously bad KDR, and the Pacific theater was just sad logistically, every battle was the U.S. zerging x battleship with like 300 dive bombers
>>
>>68224383
There's this meme that American tanks were made of cardboard and German tanks made of indestructium. I have no idea where it started but it's everywhere.
>>
>>68224459
>>68224495
Fucking naziboo autists. Kills POWs is way less heinous than killing kids.
>>
>>68222494
Anti-war propaganda
>>
>>68224611
>The guys are pinned in a tank, the ss are very close and have visible cover on one side to flank the tank.

Battle of Castle Itter

14 Americans+10 Germans and one tank held off over 100 SS soldiers

Its not this impossible feat like you are making it out to be. You went into the movie looking for something to bitch about
>>
>>68224638
>you are objectively wrong and pretty much everyone even a little bit into WW2 history knows the T-34 is the best tank
Not on your life. Its just the volume/ease of production that gives it its reputation.
Like being swarmed by ants. But its a shitty tank.
>>
>>68224654
Are you saying that only the Germans killed kids in WW2?
>>
>>68224607
> incredibly well executed
your are one funny dude. I will not mention lazers and shit. But I will mention how cheap this movie was. The whole town consisted of one street and town center. The 300 ss-mans consisted of 20 men. and yeah fuck you.
>>
>>68224638
>T-34 is best tank
No it isn't, it was cheap and numerous and very good for when it was introduced outclassing all German tanks at the time.

Still it was a clunky piece of garbage

>invincible super aoilders
No it's not that, it's that the Ss were like Zulu warrior stupid at the end of the movie.

In real life maybe 5-6germans get raped in a surprise ambush. They then flank the tank and kill everyone inside. That is how it would have ended in any scenario where the soldiers aren't Allah Akbar retards
>>
>>68224185
the only difficult thing they did was beat France

Anschluss involved no conflict, neither did annexing Czechoslovakia. Poland got invaded by the USSR at the same time which overwhelmed them
Then they bottled Barbarossa and got utterly raped left right and centre from Stalingrad onwards

>le german war machine meme
kekekekeke
>>
>>68224649
That's literally why this movie was made.

Some fag was watching the History Channel and saw the myth about "it took five Shermans to take out one Tiger" and wanted to make a movie about it. That's why the whole scene exists, despite being so inaccurate.
>>
>>68224654
Yeah fire bombing a whole city where everyone sent their children because it was a hospital city is pretty fucking heinous, agreed. So is nuking whole cities
>>
>>68224693
Did you not watch the movie? It was an impossible feat under the circumstances shown. They had no one to protect their flank. They would have been fucking toast all sitting in the tank like that. It's just dumb. Whomever wrote that scene was lazy and stupid.
>>
>>68224642

You mean the Austro-Hungarian Navy?
>>
>>68224549
>I'd have to say yes. [to Panzer being the best tank ever]

Well you're wrong, for various reasons not the least of which is thinking "Panzer" was a single tank.

>Where would you rather want to sit?
>In a Tiger or Sherman?
A Sherman because I know it's the best all around tank in the war and if I was American I also know I would have much better support structure than any German or Russian tanker.

>What about being in a Panther?
The Panther would LITERALLY spontaneously explode.
>>
>>68224729
>Still it was a clunky piece of garbage

you literally have no idea what you are talking about and clearly get your history from fucking call of duty games.

>No it's not that, it's that the Ss were like Zulu warrior stupid at the end of the movie.

Have you ever actually read anything about how the SS operated and how the werhmacht didnt like them because they would do the exact thing you are saying they would never do?

The SS, especially in 1945, werent even close to being this super elite fighting force that was literally impossible to beat. Deal with it
>>
File: 1433364261455.jpg (20 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
1433364261455.jpg
20 KB, 400x267
>>68224654
>knowing that war is hell and both sides commit atrocities makes you a retarded """neo-nazi"""

You are not a very bright person.
>>
>>68224146
Yeah wouldn't they be soup with those grenades dropped into the hull of the tank?
>>
File: the-one-i-love.jpg (38 KB, 750x404) Image search: [Google]
the-one-i-love.jpg
38 KB, 750x404
NEAT FLICK!!!
>>
>>68224693
Psst, the key word here is castle.
>>
File: 1459428712928.jpg (30 KB, 362x282) Image search: [Google]
1459428712928.jpg
30 KB, 362x282
>>68222494
That scene really bugged me for hours. The rest of the movie just didn't matter. I kept thinking about that poor guy, and what he must have been feeling, and thinking. He'd rather die than live another moment.

Fucking rattled me man.
>>
>>68224825
Run in an open field 100 yards in front of a tank and shoot it with LMG and rifles.

No does this except for kebab and Africans with no birth records
>>
>>68224383
>The gun on Fireflies/Easy 8's
You don't need to go that far, with the right ammunition the factory guns on Shermans could pierce a Tiger's armor, not only that but fireflies were operational nightmares for gunners. The turret was not meant to have a gun that big and it left very little space.
>>
>>68224693
Pretty terrible comparison. There's no issue with a small force being able to hold off a much large force. And at Castle Itter, the enemy was only defeated when reinforcements showed up.
>>
>>68224761
Sherman tanks were objectively a disaster, mostly because of the interwar design being just too lightly armored, didn't really matter though because all the U.S. was facing was skeleton force that was swiftly overwhelmed, Tigers held up huge columns because they needed to call in specialty weapons to knock them out and not get a bunch of men needlessly massacred, unlike the what the Soviets did, but the Soviets also made it to Berlin first so
>>
>>68224802

>y-yeah well it was kind of made up

Like I said, you went into the movie looking for something to bitch about so you could turn to your friends and pretend you know something about WW2.

you dont
>>
>>68224729
>it outclassed the German tanks and was easy to produce

This alone is pretty much what made it the most important tank during the war.
>>
>>68224715
>>68224766
I'm saying the idea that the crew of Fury are the real bad guys of the film because Brad Pitt forces Ezra Miller to kill a POW to turn him into an effective killer is underminded by the fact the SS are shown to kill children which, if you were capable of empathy, you would realize is way worse.
I'm talking about the movie, not
>muh nukes
>muh Dresden
>muh holocaust
>muh rape of Nanjing
>>
>>68224873
The scene where the Americans bulldoze the corpses of German civilians and soldiers into a pit and the scene where the tanks run over a rotten corpse were the worst for me.
It really made me think how terrible WWII truly was.
>>
>>68224901
>And at Castle Itter, the enemy was only defeated when reinforcements showed up.

you do realize the germans won the battle at the end of Fury, right?
>>
>>68224693
100 guys held off an army of 2000 for 7 days man at the battle of the Alamo that's why this scenerio in Fury is realistic.

I wanted to like this movie but the ending was over the top retarded. Even my son who loves ww2 stuff was rolling his eyes and saying how stupid it was.
>>
>>68224146

that was totally fucked
>>
>>68224941
sorry m8 I didn't even watch the movie
>>
>>68224946
Comparative to the Pacific theatre it was a picnic. But I'd rather do both of those than WW1 that's for fucking sure.
>>
>>68224946
Also this scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so5w-h7GFEc
>>
File: 1456621472501.png (273 KB, 600x583) Image search: [Google]
1456621472501.png
273 KB, 600x583
>>68224873
yeah but all those people are dead already. the real tragedy is the tank gunner deciding to put a bullet in his head because, even if he survives his horrific injuries, he's going to be a fucking cripple for the rest of his life.
>>
>>68224920
>Sherman tanks were objectively a disaster, mostly because of the interwar design being just too lightly armored,
The frontal armor was almost as good as the Tiger's

>didn't really matter though because all the U.S. was facing was skeleton force that was swiftly overwhelmed,

No

>Tigers held up huge columns because they needed to call in specialty weapons to knock them out
Prove it.

American forces [not allied] faced a total of three confirmed Tigers throughout the entire campaign to liberate France and they never "held up huge columns".
>>
>>68224920
The specialty weapon the Allies used to knock out tigers is, as one example, the 76 mm anti-tank gun on Brad Pitt's Sherman E8.

Despite what you may have heard on the History Channel, the Sherman tanks were amazingly successful, and did their job in WWII very, very well. Which is why they continued to be used by many nations long after the war was over, and the Tiger ended up in a museum.
>>
>>68224934
>most important
Being the "most important" is very different form saying "best" tank.. Choose your words more carefully next time.
>>
>>68224963
>was over the top retarded

no it wasnt. You faggots went into the movie looking for something to bitch about so you could jerk off on your shitty WW2 trivia knowledge.

Its not impossible
the SS werent super elite mega soldiers who could literally never lose
They actually win the battle in the movie
any group of foot soldiers vs a fucking tank is going to take heavy loses
>>
>>68223299
>brutal and vulgar act

you mean like most battles?
>>
>>68224852
I said naziboo not neonazi. Naziboos are gormless virgins, neonazis are political thugs. Also you didn't realize I was specifically talking about the characterization in the film and not assigning any kind of historical culpability to any of the IRL belligerent nations, so maybe /you/ are not a very bright person.
>>
>>68222494
I always thought about this, that if I was a soldier and on fire with no way to put it out quickly, I'd shoot myself.
But wouldn't the fire make the bullets in the gun explode before I can kill myself?
>>
>>68224985
Compared to your sister's ass your mom's pussy wasn't that good. But I'd rather do both of those than get a blowjob from your aunt that's for fucking sure.
>>
>>68224185
>white knighting the nazis
let me guess, come and see was propaganda?
>>
>>68224959
After the Fury crew massacres them Rambo style, yeah.
>>
>>68224821
German logistics was shitty. Agreed.
Would I want to be on the side losing the war? No.
If all things were equal in the above regard I'd rather be in a German tank.
Panthers armament and protection was pretty awesome. I don't know about the spontaneous combustion though. Tell me more.
>>
>>68225005
>Prove it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_Sherman

read up big boy
>>
>>68223553

then why do people war?
>>
>>68225026
No I went to the movie wanting to like it.

A tank without ground support is a sitting duck you dimwit.

Like I said before the Germans would have taken a first blow and then flanked and destroyed the tank.
>>
>>68225057

>WHAT THE FUCK?! A PLATOON OF FOOT SOLDIERS TAKE HEAVY LOSES WHILE FIGHTING A TANK? SO UNREALISTIC FUCK THIS MOVIE! WHY DIDNT THEY JUST CUT THE TANK IN HALF WITH A KATANA?

This is you
>>
File: 1-2-3.png (136 KB, 607x724) Image search: [Google]
1-2-3.png
136 KB, 607x724
>>68224920
>Sherman tanks were objectively a disaster

HERE IS THE RED ARMY'S TRIAL OF THE SHERMAN TANK

These are the penetration of the Shermans stock 75 mm gun on the hull of a TIGER tank with different ammo loads.
>>
>>68224963
this
ayer always have over the top unrealistic endings. and coz movie is pretty much based and realistic ending looks little bit ridiculous
>>
>>68225020
Shermans were an absolute dogshit tank, please go oogle over terrible outdated U.S. interwar equipment that could not be replaced fast enough somewhere else
>>
This movie had nothing going for it, all it could really do was aiming for shock factor to have any sort of impact.

>>68224873
Not that I've been a blaze, but I've seen anough fucked up footage of people on fire to know that nobody would manage to collect themselves enough to go for a gun and kill themselves, most just panic and run.
>>
>>68225005
The Tiger won its fearsome reputation in a single action during the Battle of Villers-Bocage. A British armored column spearheading an attack on Caen was ambushed by a unit of Tigers in a well concealed position, and the Brits suffered heavy loses. The advance on Caen was entirely called off. Thus all the tankers on the western front became paranoid about fighting Tigers.

The actual issue was more over British inexperience and reluctance to slug it out in a big brawl.
>>
>>68225150
>m-muh penetration

that is not why the Sherman was shit
>>
>>68225181

thank you for contributing your valuable pop history meme knowledge with no facts to back it up, your hs history teacher is proud of you
>>
>>68225109
Which they tried to do, but were hampered by the fucking cannon and the .50 that could swivel 360 degrees plus the forward facing .30s and the fucking small arms fire and grenades. gernades.
>>
>>68225130
They deployed from the road into an open field in front of the tank at less than 100 yards and then ran bank and forth in that open field

Also iirc it was closer to a battalian/company than a small platoon.
>>
>>68225022
When people talk about the best tank of WWII, they're usually talking about which was the most important tank of WWII, in a strategic sense.

Not the video game sense where you put Tank A and Tank B in an arena deathmatch and see which tank wins.
>>
>>68225094
>These factors, combined with M4 Sherman's then-superior armor and armament, outclassed German light and medium tanks of 1939–42.

Sure was a distaste, lost the allies the war even
>>
>>68225222
>implying I was replying to facts
>>
>>68225109
>No I went to the movie wanting to like it.

no you didnt.

>Like I said before the Germans would have taken a first blow and then flanked and destroyed the tank.

I dont care about your armchair general shit

Its not impossible
the SS werent super elite mega soldiers who could literally never lose
They actually win the battle in the movie
any group of foot soldiers vs a fucking tank is going to take heavy loses

The ONLY real argument you might have is "well the ending was kind of unrealistic" in a movie. A fictional movie which will obviously take liberties at some point with reality in order to craft a more dramatic scene. You are bitching about nothing
>>
>>68225094
>wikipedia

See:
>>68225150
Red army field tests prove no "specialty weapons" were needed to take out a Tiger.

>>68225058
>. I don't know about the spontaneous combustion though. Tell me more.

The entire line had to be recalled twice before the war's end because a defective fuel pumps and placement would fill the hull with fumes that would spontaneously ignite.

The Tiger had reliability and extensive mobility issues that tended to get it killed.

Imho I'd be in a Stug or a Pv IV if I had to be in a German vehicle at all.
>>
>>68224185
You know that Germany got their asses kicked harder than France, right?
>>
>>68224998
The scale is mind-boggling. Fucking chills every time.
>>
>>68225226
>360 no scoping immobilized tank
vs
>Zulu warriors

This is what the ending was like
>>
>>68225221
You retard I'm saying it didn't lack penetration.

>>68225203
>was ambushed by a unit of Tigers in a well concealed position, and the Brits suffered heavy loses.

That is far more important than the fact they were Tiger's.

>The actual issue was more over British inexperience and reluctance to slug it out in a big brawl.
I disagree, I think the issue that was far more important was the fact that the Tiger's opened fire first. The men on the recieving end would have been under sever stress while the Tiger crews could adjust and line up another shot much more calmly.
>>
>>68225234
>...they're usually talking about which was the most important tank of WWII, in a strategic sense.
But then the argument becomes, when all things are considered: Which army would you want to be in? Which is getting beyond evaluating individual equipment and loses sight of the original comparison.
>>
>>68225095
They don't. War isn't even real.
>>
File: 1389715360069.jpg (33 KB, 419x492) Image search: [Google]
1389715360069.jpg
33 KB, 419x492
>>68225269
Twice.
>>
>>68225130
You know what Sherman tank crews feared the most in WWII?

It wasn't Tiger tanks. It was infantry. Why? Because infantry had panzerfausts, and panzerfausts (and tank mines) killed far more Shermans than anything else. Shermans had a pair of defensive machine guns but it was a poor match against even small numbers of infantry.

There are many cases on the Western Front where assaults stalled because Sherman crews were afraid to advance without infantry there to protect them from enemy infantry, and the infantry was afraid to advance because Shermans weren't there to protect them from enemy armor.
>>
>>68225258
>no you didn't
Yes I did... For fucks sake.

I spent the movie trying to overlook certain things and in the end decided it was shit. The ending was a bridge too far for me.
>>
yes, yes, yes... the mighty Sherman fought hundreds of Tigers alone and blew them up with his grenades that had the star of david carved in them
>>
>>68225353
Then what is it good for?
>>
>>68225254
>X faction won the war so this well accepted shit tank must be good

based retard
>>
>>68224998
I loved this movie
>>
>>68225360
>Sherman crews were afraid to advance without infantry there to protect them from enemy infantry

This is the same for all armoured warfare. A person with a molotav can knock out an armoured vehicle. Amor needs infantry.

Again, it's why the ending is so dumb.
>>
>>68225416
getting Elaine fired in a Seinfeld episode.
>>
>>68225323
I think you've misinterpreted what I'm saying.

I'm saying the Tiger's reputation is entirely undeserved. It's certain that it's position and initiative were the reason it scored so many hits. British (and Americans weren't any better in this regard) incompetence is what led to the whole column being withdrawn. Those Tigers should have scored a few kills, sure, but it shouldn't have stalled the entire assault.
>>
>>68225429
Ofcourse you did schlomo
>>
>>68222494
Because real men did that shit.
>>
>>68225260
>Red army field tests prove no "specialty weapons" were needed to take out a Tiger.

nice strawman and irrelevant data? that doesn't change the fact that the Sherman was a bad tank
>>
>>68225360
>>68225452
What kills the Punisher? A fucking Panzerfaust.
>>68225402
Nice weird racist rant about something that never happened in the movie man. If you'd seen it you would have realized a Tiger knocks like four or five shermans.
>>
>>68222494
Because people need an outlet for their anger and if they don't get it through worthless entertainment like this they will rise up and over throw the corrupt government they live in.
>>
>>68225005
>Sherman's frontal armor almost as good as the tiger
'no'
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-13+at+09.15.28).jpg (180 KB, 736x501) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-13+at+09.15.28).jpg
180 KB, 736x501
>mfw I live in the north of france
>mfw I see abandonned WWII structures everywhere
>mfw it is barely remembered
>mfw no one gives a shit about history

pic related.
>>
>>68223238
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maywand_District_murders
>Andrew Holmes poses with the body of Gul Mudin immediately after the boy was killed.

Tax dollars at work.
>>
>>68225385
I'm :
>>68225323

And I could still enjoy the movie. I think you might just have a problem, you might need a therapist.

>>68225425
>this well accepted shit tank must be good
It actually was good though. Go to /k/ and enter a /thg/ [treadhead general] if you really want to get schooled on the Sherman, as previously stated the stock 75mm on the Sherman was capable of penetrating a Tiger if it was firing the right ammunition, Red Army trials proved this. Additionally the stock Sherman had almost as much practical frontal armor as the Tiger I because the frontal armor on the Sherman was angled.

Coupled with the ergonomic placement of equipment and ease of manufacture and you end up with a bretty good tank if not technically "the best thing ever".
>>
>>68225402
Contrary to what you might see on TV, American Shermans encountered Tigers twice during the war.

It won both times. Though in the second encounter, the Tiger was being loaded onto a train, and not in combat condition.
>>
>>68225385
>The ending was a bridge too far for me.

yeah, because you just wanted to bitch about it to show off your meme knowledge of WW2
>>
>>68225561
>plebs don't give a shit about History
Another example as to why democracy is a terrible system.
>>
>>68225561
People have a hard time remembering bad weather from 3 years ago let alone shit that they weren't even alive when it happened.
>>
>>68225260
>The entire line had to be recalled twice before the war's end because a defective fuel pumps and placement would fill the hull with fumes that would spontaneously ignite.
I'll try to check it out.

> Pv IV
Sure.
>>
How come no other countries have good war movies. Buncha pussies. :^]
>>
File: db0357juvincourt.jpg (25 KB, 320x485) Image search: [Google]
db0357juvincourt.jpg
25 KB, 320x485
>>68225561
Here's what used to be a german's airfiel control tower. Now they sell pizza to truckers
>>
>>68225488
No I understand perfectly I simply disagree with your opinion on why the ambush was as costly as it was. I do however agree that the Tiger's reputation was not entirely deserved.

>>68225516
>that doesn't change the fact that the Sherman was a bad tank
How was it a bad tank?

>>68225550
For practical purposes yes it was, the Tiger I armor had almost no frontal sloping while the Sherman's frontal armor was sloped giving it near same effective armor protection in the front.
>>
>>68225570
Just a note, the stock gun on a Sherman could pen a Tiger in optimal conditions. The Sherman and the Tiger have roughly the same frontal armor. The Sherman's is thinner, but sloped so it has about the same effective thickness. The Tiger's gun, however, it's much, much better. It could pen the Sherman at distances the Sherman (with the stock gun), couldn't pen it.

This, however, is a moot point, since they hardly ever encountered each other.

The Sherman mostly fought light targets like infantry, machine gun nests, trucks, etc., and the Sherman's stock 75 mm excelled at the job.
>>
>>68225604
I guess I should have overlooked the Zulu warriors showing up in a ww2 movie
>>
>>68225561
are you serious? not a day goes by and you don't have some babbys first WWII thread with a bunch of kids who thinks shoddily quickly made crap shat out of a factory as fast as possible and rushed to the front was the apex of design and engineering
>>
>>68225637

shitty production value and special effects. Plus they cant do action scenes to save their lives and it all just looks like cheesey 80s action movie shit

Chine, UK and Russia make some good ones though
>>
>>68225665
>The Tiger's gun, however, it's much, much better. It could pen the Sherman at distances the Sherman (with the stock gun), couldn't pen it.
This is true.
>>
>>68225698
>thread

I don't think he was talking about 4chan anon
>>
>>68225570
/k/ is full of people jerking off over any WWII equipment, the Sherman was an unsafe terrible tank
>>
>>68225676

what?
>>
>>68225698
>shat out of a factory as fast as possible and rushed to the front was the apex of design and engineering

you mean like German vehicles?
>>
>>68222494
The pacing in this movie was shit.
>>
>>68225744
>unsafe terrible tank

Pretty high survivability, actually. Better ergonmoics, and crews could escape very quickly when hit, compared to others of the era.
>>
>>68225744
>the Sherman was an unsafe terrible tank

this is "you only use 10% of your brain dude!" retarded senpai
>>
File: awssesome.jpg (98 KB, 580x874) Image search: [Google]
awssesome.jpg
98 KB, 580x874
Its a identify the bodies of water for two minutes captcha episode.
>>
>>68225744
>/k/ is full of people jerking off over any WWII equipment
It's also full of people that know their shit and look up old Red Army trial results to prove a point. Like the gun on the Sherman lacking penetration.

To the point, if you go on /k/ and start spouting bullshit you'll be conclusively corrected in short order.

>the Sherman was an unsafe terrible tank

By what metric?
>>
>>68222494

Movies about the second world war are a lot less glamorous when you realize that the war was won and lost on the eastern front, the western front didn't matter except to save some countries from communism as the USSR steamrolled through, Japan never had any chance or intention of 'beating' the united states, it just wanted to grab as much territory as possible, then fuck up the pacific US fleet so that the US just went for a settlement instead. There wasn't any real chance of the Axis powers ever winning at all.
>>
File: IMAG0077juvincourt.jpg (100 KB, 670x499) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0077juvincourt.jpg
100 KB, 670x499
>>68225698
they're a minority nonetheless. The vast majority of people living around here don't care.
>>
>>68222494
War is hell
>>
>>68225869

It really burns my butt when people cant seem to grasp this concept that the movie was trying to portray and think dumb shit like "we'll it showed American soldiers killing a POW, so its saying Americans were the bad guys!"
>>
File: remove kebab.webm (3 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
remove kebab.webm
3 MB, 720x480
>>68225785
Nice

Lebanon is another tank-core movie
>>
>>68225839
Hitler never really thought that his Anglo cousins would side with the blood thirsty commie Slavs over the Germans.

He honestly thought that the UK would be ok with germany having an eastern land empire since they had a global empire and becuses he was willing to fight communism.
>>
>>68225639
When I was in berlin I went to tempelhoff airport and no its just a public park with dog walking and stuff
>>
>>68225604
democracy isn't the problem people being entitled ignorant arseholes are the problem.
>>
>>68222494
someone never watched flyboys
>>
>west side """"""""""""war"""""""""""

kek
>>
>>68225839
Talk about the eastern front:
Here's a film that should be made: The battle for the grain elevator. And this shit actually happened.

http://ww2today.com/18th-september-1942-the-fight-for-the-stalingrad-grain-elevator

German's vs. Soviets though so It will probably never get made.
>>
>>68225961
People are by and large ignorant entitled arseholes anon. Democracy is a terrible system, the Greeks knew this thousands of years ago, it's a fact democracy is terrible.
>>
>>68225961
Democracy is a problem because people are, on average, retarded
>>
>>68222494
Can someone shop wojacks face in there?
>>
>>68226015
And your alternative is?........
>>
>>68226032
Universal suffrage is such a horrible idea, we have fallen so far, so fast. Shit sucks familia
>>
>>68224383
>>68224896
>le american fiwapowah is da strongest xD
>America won WW2
Why are these people so fucking retarded and allowed to breath.
>>
>>68226015
>>68226032
By the same metric Oligarchs are pieces of shit and autocrats are self serving tyrannical assholes.

Democracy isn't perfect but it's the best we have.
>>
>>68226015
>>68226032
Pure democracy yes. If you just make voting and running for public office contingent on military service, 90% of the problems go away

No Bernie Sanders
No Donald Trump
No Hillary Clinton

do you see how this works?
>>
>>68226097
see:
>>68225150
>>
>>68225975
Or Pavlov's house

>>68226104
>it's the best we have

Says you
>>
>>68226076
Monarchy is the best system believe it or not, second would be a very limited aristocratic democracy.

I know it sounds preposterous, but it's true, it takes a bit of research to understand why.
>>
>>68226138
>Says you
Ok, name a better system than a constitutional representative republican democracy and explain your reasoning.
>>
>>68226109
>...running for public office contingent on military service.
If you consider that idea, voluntary civil service also has to be included.
>>
>>68226104
>it's the best we have
Not even close anon.
>>
>>68226155
>Monarchy is the best system
In what way?
>>
File: Steamboat Willie.jpg (83 KB, 540x443) Image search: [Google]
Steamboat Willie.jpg
83 KB, 540x443
>>68223057
Made a nice change from Spielberg's upbeat depiction of a pointless execution.
>>
>>68226109
>No Bernie Sanders
>No Donald Trump
>No Hillary Clinton

that's an opinion, you cant really say who the military would vote for.
>>
>>68223299
you know that scene was done with 3 guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IG2VbFQ0Ig

honestly, it's amazing, you would not beleive it, i can't find a better video but yeah, check um
>>
>>68226109
But then all your politicians are baby killers and it's a whole lot worse.
>>
File: 14570297809504746.png (344 KB, 600x410) Image search: [Google]
14570297809504746.png
344 KB, 600x410
>sherman is shit meme
>german tanks invincible meme
>one tiger charging three shermans in an open field
>shermans ALSO now charging ahead

Who the fuck thought this scene was a good idea? Was it so hard to get a god damned Panther?
>>
>>68226181
>United States
>Main article: United States federal civil service

>In the United States, the civil service was established in 1871. The Federal Civil Service is defined as "all appointive positions in the executive, judicial, and legislative branches of the Government of the United States, except positions in the uniformed services."
No. That is where Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton come from. The President must, at the very least have some military service.
>>
>>68226097

>its a "butthurt europoor lets his petty childish hatred of america lead him to believe america did literally nothing in WW2" post
>>
>>68223299
unlike the none brutal or vulgar war? we call them propaganda films.
>>
>>68226245
>But then all your politicians are baby killers
>implying they wouldn't all have done 99% of their service as a POG and the remaining 1% in very safe rear patrols so they could see some "action".
>>
>>68226225
you don't seem to understand the concept. the idea is that such people would never even be allowed to run for office.
>>
>>68225027
We're talking about movies, not battles.

Thin Red Line was a much better movie, but had only a fraction of the vulgarity.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 737x285) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 737x285
>>68226211
Start with this... The single biggest reson is understanding the economic concept of time preference
>>
>>68226280
America literally did nothing in WW2.

It was the USSR that did all the work. Dumb amerifat americans just came in later to take the credit.

Don't worry at least you were in time to serve cheeseburgers to the real fighters.
>>
>>68226178
Monarchy, where the future king is groomed into power instead of just putting any random retard on the throne

Democracies are a failure because politicians need to whore themselves to as many people as they can and will thus never do anything that might upset someone, especially near the end of their mandate

This is why the west is dying
>>
>>68226225
Are you retarded? None of these people have any military service. Which means they would be ineligible for president.
>>
Ban check
>>
>>68226155
>it takes a bit of research to understand why.

and yet you can't bother coming up with any...

who the fuck thinks divine right to rule is a good idea? saudi arabia and north korea both suck, and im not sure you could name a monarchy that doesn't.
>>
>>68226343
What did you do nigger?
>>
>>68226316
Can you paraphrase the ideas therein or do you require regurgitating it verbatim?
>>
>>68226314

thin red line sucks though. Only tryhard faggots pretend to like that borefest because they think its "le deep!" because characters whisper meandering monologues about philosophy in between long shots of grass blowing in the wind
>>
>>68224643
mostly cuz the americans were fresh into the war, that was running for years before they got in. while UK was making guns from scrap metal, USA was making fridges and still hadn't entered the war till the last minute hoping Hitler might win.
>>
>>68226327
This is the opinion of someone who is not very informed on how monarchy works.
A king was by no means an all powerful ruler and dictator but rather a figurehead very much dependant on the support of the powerful nobles.

So yeah, he was whoring himself out to them just like modern day politicians are whoring themselves out to lobbyists.
>>
>>68226333
>>68226312
yes i am. sorry, i didn't catch the run for office part.
>>
>>68226155
>Monarchy is the best system believe it or not

literally every country that has an actual monarchy now is a third world shithole. Take your cuck LARP ship back to pol faggot.
>>
>>68226327
>Monarchy, where the future king is groomed into power instead of just putting any random retard on the throne

Here's why that's stupid:

Ivan the Terrible

No amount of grooming can prevent someone who doesn't seem to be a douche from eventually becoming a douche. When he becomes a douche with a crown on his head he starts roaming the streets with a gang of thugs and randomly raping and killing people to get his kicks.

>Democracies are a failure because politicians need to whore themselves to as many people as they can and will thus never do anything that might upset someone, especially near the end of their mandate
Except they constantly upset someone.
>>
>>68226277
>...That is where Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton come from.
And? Richard Milhouse Nixon had a military career and look how good that turned out.
>Monarchy, where the future king is groomed into power instead of just putting any random retard on the throne
The old old old old problem of succession and nutty or no progeny.
>>
>>68226015
What Greece is the birth place of democracy and saying democracy is terrible without offering any real actual facts for the grounds of your argument to stand just shows just saying it's a fact doesn't make it so it's just your opinion doesn't make it a fact. But you believe what you want to and I am not going to hold that against you we all have our idea of a perfect utopia society.
>>
>>68224423
or maybe you just an angry snobby white fuccboi
>>
>>68226489
>When he becomes a douche with a crown on his head he starts roaming the streets with a gang of thugs and randomly raping and killing people to get his kicks.
AND killing his son in a fit of rage.
>>
The best thing about democracy:
TERM LIMITS.
>>
>>68226155
citation needed.
>>
>>68226436
>educated nobles instead of the retarded plebe

That's kind of exactly my point anon
>>
>>68226530
Damn skippy
>>
>>68226503
>the birthplace of democracy

And they only allowed male land owners who took part in the defence of the city to vote
>>
>>68224729
It's armor was vastly ahead of it's time.
>>
>>68226521
And killing his son in a fit of rage...
>>
obviously the best form of government is robot overlord. monarchy can only work well if you design the perfect ruler.
>>
>>68226389
1) Democracy incentivizes high time preference.
2) Democracy is politically volatile and encourages permanent low-level political warfare.
3) Democracy inevitably produces bungling or destructive demagogues who turn into Bonapartist leaders.
4) Democracy promotes national debt and leads to poor financial decisions by the government which eventually causes its collapse.
5) Voter biases intersect and magnify one another, not cancel out.
6) Democracy is a self-reinforcing memeplex that seeks its own survival.
7) The unquestioning advocacy of democracy in the West is similar to a religion.
8) Political history is a cycle between benevolent rulers, democracy, anarchy, and tyranny.
9) Democracy is anti-civilizational and threatens the prosperity of Western countries
>>
>>68226530

>people hate the current government

>their idea to fix this is to grant the government more powers and make them serve a life term in a monarchy

lol these people are fucking stupid
>>
>>68226606
No it wasn't people knew about sloped armor since the 10's and even incorporated it into tanks.

That's a meme anon.

What made it good was that the Pz I-III weren't particularly well equipped for tank fighting while the T-34 was adequately armed and built for taking on Pz's I-III.
>>
>>68226550
>>68226327
>>68226316
>>68226155
cuck
>>
>>68226459
They are 3rd world shitholes because their populations are 3rd world shit people
>>
>>68226489
A bad monarch isn't nearly as bad as a bad democracy
>>
>>68226716

>korea is split into a democracy and essentially a monarchy

>the democratic side is soring in its economy while the monarchy is a third wolrd shithole of starvation and corruption

Monarchies are fucking retarded. Might as well call for bringing back chief elders.
>>
File: 1460497022670.gif (2 MB, 230x357) Image search: [Google]
1460497022670.gif
2 MB, 230x357
>>68226457
It's ok senpai, sorry I insulted you. Have a funny cat gif

>>68226494
>And? Richard Milhouse Nixon had a military career and look how good that turned out.
No system is perfect, but mine is less shitty
>>
>>68226749
This has to be bait
>>
>their idea to fix this is to grant the government more powers and make them serve a life term in a monarchy
Who the fuck wants a monarchy, except currently for the Russians? Goddamit they love suffering for some reason.
Term limits is what keeps bad management from becoming a permanent fixture.
>>
>>68226631
>Democracy incentivizes high time preference.
In what way?

>Democracy is politically volatile and encourages permanent low-level political warfare.
Ultimately so does every other system.

>Democracy inevitably produces bungling or destructive demagogues who turn into Bonapartist leaders.
No it doesn't.
>Democracy promotes national debt and leads to poor financial decisions by the government which eventually causes its collapse.
No it doesn't.
>Voter biases intersect and magnify one another, not cancel out.
Depends on the voting system.
>Democracy is a self-reinforcing memeplex that seeks its own survival.
Explain your [or should I say the author's?] Reasoning.
>The unquestioning advocacy of democracy in the West is similar to a religion.
No it isn't, at all and it isn't unquestioning.

>Political history is a cycle between benevolent rulers, democracy, anarchy, and tyranny.
No it isn't.

>Democracy is anti-civilizational and threatens the prosperity of Western countries

from a certain pov this has some validity.
>>
>>68226787
Wow that's a real good point fagtron got any more of those hot arguments?
>>
>>68226749
You can vote out or publicly pressure out a bad democracy, you have to kill a whole lot of people to get out a bad monarch.
>>
>>68226835
>Ask to break down a long arguement into bullet points..
>disregard bullet points out of hand
If you were interested, research it further.
>>
>>68226820
Term limits are what make bad management worse

In my country the situation is so bad that people are voting for the least terrible option and rthis is why we got Hollande (same as in the US tbch)
>>
A benevolent tyrant is certainly better than a retarded elected official. The problem is few tyrants are benevolent.
>>
>>68226240
Was this for the movie or a recreation because I don't recognize any of those scenes
>>
>>68226867
Kill a monarch vs killing half the population that doesn't agree with you. Voting is just an alternative to warfare. Civil wars happen when voting no longer works
Monarchy is more than just a supreme autocrat.
>>
>>No system is perfect, but mine is less shitty
The system you're proposing is Heinlein's.
The practicality of his proposition is National Socialism and is a shitty idea and until you turn it into International Socialism and don't stick people in ovens, it will remain taboo because its an experiment not worth repeating.
>>
>>68226981
>A benevolent tyrant
I believe there is no such thing.
>>
>>68226891
I asked you to paraphrase it not to make bullet points, you could have equally well expounded on the ideas in a short 2000 character essay or in multiple posts where you both make the assertions and explain why you [or the author] believe in the assertions you make.

>disregard bullet points out of hand

I'm not disregarding them I'm saying I disagree with the assertions made and doing so in the same curt manner you made them. Your'e free to further explain the ideas and refute my disagreement and I in fact directly ask you to do so at one point.
>>
>>68227035
It's rare because benevolence implies empathy, and most of the people with the stomach and drive to become rulers are sociopaths.
>>
>>68227045
I am on my phone trying to work, I don't care to discuss it further. Research it if you're interested.
>>
>>68223597
>penned
>WoT player
>opinion discarded
in real life being the first to see the other person is the biggest advantage you can have.

>>68224383
hey kiddo it doesnt matter if you have a PaK43 if the enemy spots you first and destroys you before you can find where he's firing from.
>>
>>68227021
>Kill a monarch vs killing half the population that doesn't agree with you
OR you can not kill anyone and just vote on it.

>Civil wars happen much rarely in democracies than they do in autocratic and monarchical systems because there are mechanisms in place for peaceful resolution and a widespread difference that is unreconcilable is rare.
ftfy.
>>
>>68226894
And so splinter parties suddenly start gaining traction and that scares the shit out of the entrenched bureaucracy, which forces them to adapt.
The main problem you have is an un-elected European parliament who is fucking you in the ass with social and economic experimentation.
>>
>>68226240
>>68226985

this is just a neat special effects trick, not how they did it in the actual movie

They got a bunch of people from the irish military to do the normandy scene, so they had a bunch of extras
>>
>>68226280
americas greatest contributions to ww2 were logistics based and a distraction.
are you going to ask mommy to kiss your booboo now?
>>
>>68224934
It didn't really outclass the German tanks, there were only 1300 Tiger I's made, there were only 6000 Panthers made, whereas 65,000 T-34 variants were made along with 3.5k IS tanks and 9k beefy ISU tanks

Nothing in the war was decided by outright design even the biggest German tank the Tiger II not even 500 were made. Most of the war was just who could make more shit and fling it at the other side faster.
>>
>>68227035
>I believe there is no such thing.

Napoleon
Huey Long

Thats all I can think of
>>
>>68227087
>I don't care to discuss it further.
That's fine
>>
>tfw you'll never be a soldier and go into a german girl's house and lick her fried egg and play off-key shit on the piano
>>
>>68227153
No, the main problem we have is our government and whole political being complete cucks, and the brainwashing of the population doesn't help

Take Denmark for example, they managed to elect an anti-immigration party and pass some nice laws, and I remember reading Norway did the same
>>
>>68226218
Every time I think about SPR and Schindler's List I feel like I'm going to have an aneurysm. Spielberg is so juvenile in his depictions of war and violence but acts like he's making the most important movies in history
>>
File: 1457059094979.jpg (10 KB, 480x468) Image search: [Google]
1457059094979.jpg
10 KB, 480x468
>>68227087
>on my phone
>on 4chins
>trying to work
>>
>>68224185
The best troops were on the eastern front.
>>
>>68227279
He doesn't want to discuss the matter further, he doesn't really need any reason at all to not want to participate in a stupid anonymous internet argument.
>>
>>68227035
BTW democracy already has aristocracy.
It takes the form of the supreme court justices.
They are called true aristoi because they are learned in the law, in the Platonic tradition and they have NO term limits. They cannot be deposed. They are usually protectors of the constitution.
If you study democracy a bit you'll see the ideas are actually very advanced.

>>68227265
When last I checked you still had the best medical system on the planet. So stop shitting on your country and go for a check up.
>>
>>68227298
Actually I'd say the best troops were Italians, the best officers British and the best strategists American.

>inb4 Italians sucked

The Italian troops were poorly armed and poorly led, they were by all accounts, both British and German, some of the best and most valiant troops in the war. Japan is probably a close second though if only because they're nip fucks. Other than that though imagine what they could have done if they weren't led by suicidal morons and armed with weaponry designed for fighting a war in the 20's.
>>
File: Pont saint louis.png (128 KB, 315x497) Image search: [Google]
Pont saint louis.png
128 KB, 315x497
>>68227456
Such good it did them
>>
>>68227456
Whats the thinnest book in history?
The book of Italian War heroes.

Whats the scariest book in history?
The great book of British smiles.
>>
File: bait.jpg (121 KB, 849x479) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
121 KB, 849x479
>esotericismfags
get the fuck outta here.
>>
File: 146007018070746.png (628 KB, 1055x808) Image search: [Google]
146007018070746.png
628 KB, 1055x808
>>68227456
>the best troops were Italians
>>
>>68222494
Old war movies were better. They had an adventurous attitude that you just don't find in modern war movies. The Longest Day, for example, didn't rely on showing guys get blown to pieces to be a good film, but rather a good set of characters and intense (not so violent) action. Saving Private Ryan was soulless, and I don't recall anything from the film other than the D-Day scene.
>>
File: cia ayes.png (82 KB, 646x152) Image search: [Google]
cia ayes.png
82 KB, 646x152
>its a /tv/ talks about war episode
>>
>>68227739
Singular soldier capabilities not on a strategic level if you get my meaning.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.