[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did it live up to the hype?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 226
Thread images: 36
Did it live up to the hype?
>>
Not for me. I feel like it gets most of praise because it has a female and black lead
>>
Fck no.

>basically same plot as A New Hope
> HOW THE FUCK KYLO REN CAN NOT FUCKING ANHILIATE FIN AND REY!? THOSE 2 IDIOTS DIDN'T KNOW WHAT A LIGHTSABER WAS TWO DAYS AGO AND YOU'RE TELLING ME THEY CAN TAKE ON A SITH LORD THAT KILLED EVERY OTHER FUCKING JEDI!?!?
>Is Disney for real? Another fucking Death Star with an evident fucking flaw!? Fucking Siths don't learn shit after all those years?
> Wait, did Rey fucking used the Force better then Kylo Ren even though she doesn't know how to use it?
> What's up with the British accents everywhere? Why is Fin always so stressed when he speaks? Does he need a fucking blunt to chill?
> and for the love of god, I get it that they wanted to go with a different approach on the casting, but isn't a black and a girl a bit too much? Did they have to be THAT clear that they wanted to be full on SJW IT IS THE CURRENT YEAR GUYS LET'S CAST OUT EVERY WHITE GUY SO THAT WE DON'T GET SHIT ON BY TUMBLR
>If the fucking plot keeps being going on about family issues I'm gonna snap. SOMEONE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET THE SKYWALKERS A DESIGNATED THERAPIST!
>how is the the guy who owns BB-8 the best pillt in the galaxy? Fuck he's never been in a fight and now he just fucks everything up against trained pilot OF THE FIRST ORDER!?!?
> Anf how did Fin get a conscience? He's a clone like every other fucking clone, nowhere has it been mention that they develop their own way of judging what's right or wrong. They're programmed to obey orders, not question the absurdity of massmurdering innocents. And nowhere has it been mention that some clones might have flaws during the cloning process.

Overall it was disappointing as fuck. The new lightsabers effects look nice though, even if it's fucking over-CGI, again... For god's this was deppressing to watch, I fear for the next one.
>>
>>68220602
No, but to be fair, nothing could
>>
>>68221708
That's interesting because you hate it, although you are apparently also the target audience of TFA.
>>
Yes.
But it wasn't hyped beyond: It'll be better than the prequels.
It was, but it only managed to be a basic 5 or 6/10 depending on your tastes.
>>
As a SJW LGBT person I thought this movie sucked. I was a huge fan of Star Wars but not just for the movies. Since this one rebooted all the non-movie canon it just had to be no less than perfect for me but it obviously wasn't.
>>
I watched it on a plane where there were no other interesting movie aside from Ex Machina, so out of a 10 hour flight I gave it a shot.
>>
I wasn't expecting much, I actually got hyped when I went to see it and got into the beginning that was rather good.

Unfortunately it becomes really mediocre after they leave Jakku.
>>
>>68221941
>As a SJW LGBT person
how the fuck can you be all four?
>>
>>68220602
It sure did don't listen to contrarians.
>>
>>68221708
It's not a Death Star, as you can tell because we literally compared the Death Star to Starkiller onscreen and Starkiller is bigger and hits more targets so it's not a Death Star it's BETTER.

Also more blinking dots-I mean, people that we care about through our experience with the characters that lead to us feeling pain when they did, died, so it's not a Death Star. It's worse.
>>
No. It will be forgotten in 5 years. And the current generation thats in their teens wont remember it in 20 years.
>>
i didn't have hype for it. it looked like a boring corporate turd from the start. and that's what it was.
>>
>>68222030
Each headmate identifies as a different one.
>>
Why do critics give it such high ratings? did Disney pay them?
>>
Oh and I'm not a /b or /pol full on disgusting mysoginistic pig. I consider myself feminist and progressive, but I just feel like Disney took it a little too far by being this obvious
>>
>>68222099
They're comparing it to the prequels, not to the original trilogy.
>>
>>68221708
kylo didnt kill her on purpose idiot, and the flaw wasnt evident, they needed fin's knowledge.
>>
>>68222058
People barely remember it right now. Say what you will about the prequels at least those left an impression on people
>>
>>68220602
Not really. It was okay, 6/10 I guess, but full of plot holes and lacking anything in the way of originality
>>
>>68222138
Seething hatred is an impression, I guess
>>
>>68221708

>kylo wanted to take rey for himself. he has plans for her.
>what evident flaw? the flaw of its generator was secret knowledge given by finn.
>rey was a jedi padawan and descendant of luke. luke unknowingly used the force against the 1st death star.
>how is poe a good pilot? he trained hard.
>stormtroopers arent clones idiot. this isnt the clone wars.
>>
>>68220602

Nope, its probably the most forgettable of any of the movies for me. Also its basically corporate maketing given form.
>>
>>68222204
>rey was a jedi padawan and descendant of luke
Your headcanon is not canon.
>>
>>68221708
Don't see the issue with accents, but I never noticed Finn's voice being stressed.
Who cares about a black male and white girl being lead?
Poe being the best pilot in the galaxy is kind of a stretch, but it's the least bothersome stretch in the entire movie.
Finn isn't a clone, but your criticism about him getting a conscience despite being brainwashed from birth still stands.
>>
>>68222138
They didn't, except for 3, unless you count

>>68222197
this, but you had to be a fan for that.
>>
>>68222234
in her force vision, she is wearing jedi robes as a child. the saber is "calling to her." the song that plays at the end is jedi steps.
>>
>>68222138
I think a lot that is because most of the people who "loved it" were seeing it because it was a current fashion trend. Once the new year came around they latched onto something new which was Deadpool. Look how many people even remember that.
>>
Might have been wrong on the Death Star thing, I just watched it and thought that the storyline could have been different than having to destroy another planet destroyer. And you don't join the First Order if you don't feel like killing people when you know that they have a Starkiller. And I didn't realise Poe was already in the rebellion, sorry
>>
>>68222267
>she had jedi robes as a child
No she didn't. She was wearing the average rags you'd see on a desert planet.
>>
>>68222267
>Jedi robes
So is Owen. They're often worn on Tattoine and Jakku being the Tattoine2 that it is, it wouldn't be weird for her to wear that.

The saber calls to her through the Force. Nothing about that demands that she be Luke's descendant.

"Jedi Steps", meaning she's on her path to becoming a Jedi, not that she originally was.

Again, headcanon =/= canon.
>>
>>68222413
youre a fucking retard thats def jedi robes. compare it to a padawan its the same thing

also why is the "saber calling to her" bet u got an awesome answer for that
>>
File: teethfu.jpg (39 KB, 446x578) Image search: [Google]
teethfu.jpg
39 KB, 446x578
>>68220602
Yes
>>
>>68222234
Luke already had contact with a Jedi and the Force with Obi-wan. Rey just figure out how to manipulate someone without even having a basics. She could be that intuitive, but it's kind of a lot, even Luke needed Yoda before being able to use the Force.
>>
>>68222485
Luke didn't feel any particular calling to his own father's lightsaber. Rey feeling called by a lightsaber doesn't mean she's related to Luke and would suggest the opposite, since obliviousness when presented with one's family line (Luke meeting Leia, Leia meeting Vader, Luke meeting Vader) runs in the Skywalker family.
>>
>>68222537
The Force awakened in Rey, that was kinda the point of the movie, not her genetics.
>>
If carie fisher wasnt in it, yes it did. But since she was in it, it didnt
>>
File: jehdie rowbs.jpg (48 KB, 640x545) Image search: [Google]
jehdie rowbs.jpg
48 KB, 640x545
>>68222485
Calm down with the fire anon
But you're right she was wearing Jedi Robes. So was Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. Don't forget about Shmi and kiddie Anakin. Check out this undeniable proof.
>>
>>68222537
So when did the MIB show up to give her a proper mindwipe so she forgets where she came from besides just "stay on Jakku they're totes coming back" but still remembers all the training she underwent?

Likeliest scenario is that Abrams fucked up in writing her as too powerful.
>>
>>68222627
I just think that she was too much in control of her powers even if she had next to no idea how to use it. Even the saber calling to her, Kylo is also technically family and has had training to use the Force. In no scenario was Rey suppose to get the saber back and be able to duel Kylo.
>>
>>68222658
I think that was the worst singular decision Lucas did, in the idea that Obi-Wan's desert hermit garb was somehow the "uniform" of the Jedi Order.
>>
>>68222787
It would be okay if it was just Obi-Wan who wore it, since it would be him wearing the old robes of his order, but giving similar clothing to everyone else on Tattoine is what made it stupid.
>>
>>68222787
He made it the uniform in ROTJ though, not in the prequels
>>
>>68222771
>too much in control of her powers
That's easily explained through bad writing.
>>
File: laughing troopers.jpg (36 KB, 625x367) Image search: [Google]
laughing troopers.jpg
36 KB, 625x367
>>68222080
>>
>>68222787
It was an okay decision. The robes Ben wore matched the sort of monk-like lifestyle that the Jedi devote themselves too.
>>
>>68222000
Witnessed
>>
>>68222860
I'd say he did it in Empire with Yoda to be honest, but I know that's not exactly right.
>>
>>68222860
Well Yoda's clothes were also rather similar.
>>
>>68222863
Nice one.
>>
>>68222787
>>
>>68222257
>Who cares about a black male and white girl being lead?
/pol/ and nobody else
>>
>>68222860
>>68222983
I never said it was a prequel exclusive mistake.

>>68222947
But Yoda was also a fugutive hermit living in a shithole. Neither of these characters or their rainments implied their roles back when they were upstanding figures in galactic society should've or would've worn the exact same type of outfit.

>>68222828
It made sense being on everyone else on Tatooine because that clothing is pretty typical for desert dwelling peasants.

>>68222893
Yeah but the Jedi were not implied or depicted to be particularly monastic at first, obviously Obi-Wan and Yoda were very spartan since they were fugitive hermits, but nothing in the early OT ever implied the Jedi Order as a whole would've worn spartan monk robes. They could've worn ornate armor or ceremonial rainment just as well.
>>
File: 1458729364089.webm (2 MB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
1458729364089.webm
2 MB, 1280x536
who eats like that?
>>
Not really.

But I did enjoy it.

Ended up being like a 7/10 instead of the hoped 9/10 or 10/10

But it was better than any of the prequels which is all I was really hoping for.
>>
>>68223241

qt waifus thats who
>>
>>68220602
There was no intense dog fighting in this fucking movie.

Where the fuck was the cockpit death shot?

Even the prequels had that. I was waiting to see the woman X-Wing pilot die like this.
>>
>>68223175
My point was that if Lucas wanted to make it the uniform of the Order then giving it to Obi-Wan and Yoda alone makes sense but giving it to everyone on Tattoine doesn't.

Either it's a Tattoine thing or it's an Order thing. It was having it be both that made it stupid.

>>68223241
Kids do. It was actually a pretty good glimpse into how alone Rey is, and for how long, that she eats like a kid.
>>
>>68220602
First time I watched it I thought it was 10/10.

After listening to the hate that this movie got from people on here my expectations dropped to a 6/10.

Recently buying the movie on blu ray and re watching I give it an 8/10. Still really excellent and good. My only problems is that I wish the movie was longer and had more character development.
>>
>>68223241
the living embodiment of the smug, detached Gen-X ethos.
>>
File: 654652313.jpg (63 KB, 561x401) Image search: [Google]
654652313.jpg
63 KB, 561x401
Pick related. It was the worst cinematic experience I had in months.
>>
>>68223279

The alien pilot had a cockpit death shot.

but all the dog fighting was pretty one sided. I kinda didnt like how poe just flew in and blew up four TIE fighters in a row and then sniped three stormtroopers off the floor.

I am hoping they improve it by the next movies.
>>
>>68220602
Only new character that was cool was Poe, the rest were shit. Disappointing because it was A Familiar Hope.
>>
>>68223398
Poe was barely there. His main characteristics were "pilot", "overly trusting" and "good hair".
>>
>>68220602
It IS hype. That's what they're selling. Not the piece of shit movie they made: the discussion, the merchandise, the press.

This movie could not have failed. The second they cast a young female lead that don't need no anyone, they could not have failed.
>>
>>68220602
Nope.
>>
>>68223477
But they played at making Finn the lead, not Rey.
>>
>>68223475
he was pretty distraught when he realized Fin looked better in his jacket than he did
>>
>>68223279
I felt the same way. Half the X-Wings got blow up but it was mostly in the background and the only "actual" pilots were all cheering like if it was no big deal during the whole thing. There was no tension at all, even when the alien guy got shot down they didn't care.
>>
>>68223516
They would still get brownie points with liberals by casting a black dude. They just realized that casting a female would earn them triple the money.

There was nothing in this film that wasn't meticulously engineered to make as much money as possible. There was literally no soul.
>>
>>68223241
me
>>
>>68223607
>There was nothing in this film that wasn't meticulously engineered to make as much money as possible. There was literally no soul.

Except that they killed Han solo and Luke wasnt in the movie until the last 10 seconds and the villain is a pathetic loser instead of a generic badass

Youre just mad because DA JOOS made it and that triggers you. You want to see real profit driven filmmaking with no soul? Watch the prequels
>>
I didn't hype myself up like a fucking retarded nu-male manchild.

The movie was fine.
>>
>>68223695
Ford wanted out of the Star Wars franchise. He would not have agreed to sign on for more movies. Killing him off gave him a chance to be finally free while still getting his character into the movie.

Luke not appearing until the end is the draw for the next movie. How is that not obvious?
>>
>>68223695
>Except that they killed Han solo
Harrison Ford would not have bothered with this movie if they didn't, if Disney didn't get Ford back with the other old actors then there would have been huge backlash.
>>
File: 1459205888341.webm (327 KB, 400x542) Image search: [Google]
1459205888341.webm
327 KB, 400x542
It was everything I expected it to be.
>>
>>68223760
>Luke not appearing until the end is the draw for the next movie

Why would they hold him off for two years from now when they could have put him in this movie and shown him off in all the marketing and made a ton of cash? So many people complained Luke wasnt in this one at all.

They wanted primary focus on the new characters, not Luke. Making Luke the focus would have been the safe and easy decision
>>
Reminder that you who complain about black/female lead are just as bad as the people currently complaining about the white monk in dr. strange

You're both literally retarded
>>
File: 1435115627291.jpg (61 KB, 788x685) Image search: [Google]
1435115627291.jpg
61 KB, 788x685
>>68223695
>implying that Ford wasn't sick and tired of SW, and implying that his death won't be remembered even by people that hated the movie
>implying that Luke showing at the end won't prompt millions of neckbeards to go and see the sequel
>implying that a young, weak, white male villain getting trashed by the most obvious Mary Sue ever made isn't exactly the kind of thing that liberals wanted to see

How naive can you be, my dude?
>>
File: 1460378989401.gif (703 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
1460378989401.gif
703 KB, 245x245
>>68223847
:3
>>
>>68220602
No, but then again precious few franchise movies do.
>>
>>68223905
No it wouldn't. He's old. He can't perform the same stunts and action that we've come to expect in Star Wars. He can be a guiding character but he cannot be the main character any longer.

Yes, they wanted primary focus on the main characters but they used the old characters as draws. Han for dramatic effect and Luke to entice people to watch the next movie and Leia to give some semblance of integrity to the Resistance. Blowing the load early by having all three of the original trilogy together and as main characters in the movie would have taken interest away from the sequels.
>>
>>68223921
Except that there's a huge and obvious agenda in Hollywood for pushing minorities into films.
>>
>>68223986
lmao

>>68224042
If that was the case we'd see minorities all over the movie market, instead of a spread out cast here and there. It's literally retarded too to complain about it. What's the fucking point?
>>
>>68223905
Making Luke the main character would actually be riskier since he's a well estabilished character with a real personality and whose struggles are well known for anyone that watched the OT.

Putting an insanely overpowered character as the MC and making it a female was the least riskier decision they could ever make. It's the Ghostbusters Effect: even if the movie is a steaming pile of shit (and TFA is), people will give it undeserved praise it for its "progressiviness" in casting minorities as the main roles.
>>
File: 1435990051904.png (260 KB, 563x542) Image search: [Google]
1435990051904.png
260 KB, 563x542
>>68224089
Yeah, we're not seeing minorities being shoehorned into movies for the sake of "muh diversity" at all.
>>
>>68224156
>progressive
Explain Maleficent, /pol/cuck
>>
yes. because i avoided all the hype. i never watched the trailers and i went into it expecting garbage. i did this so i wouldnt be let down. it turned out to be a decent movie
>>
>>68224222
Maleficent was already a character. Remaking her into a lesser version of herself is different from casting new characters in sequels.
>>
>>68224222
>>68224293
Not to mention that it would be a huge success regardless because liberals are deeply enamored with the idea of women that are egotistical, manipulative and evil (unless it's in a realistic setting like Gone Girl. In that case it's "mysoginistic propaganda").
>>
>>68224447
Those characters are fine so long as they are either cast as the actual villains that they are or they go through meaningful redemption arcs. Same goes for male characters who have those traits. Evil is evil.

It's keeping them the same and praising them for being strong or independent to the point of excusing their flaws or actions that is the problem.
>>
File: 1460395106740.jpg (62 KB, 486x479) Image search: [Google]
1460395106740.jpg
62 KB, 486x479
>>68223957
Rey a cute.
>>
Anyone else feel like the Starkiller run held no weight compared to the Death Star run in ANH?

It just felt like something happening in the background whereas in the original it actually kinda mattered.

How can people defend this garbage?
>>
>>68220602
No, but then again nothing ever does these days. Hyped movies are either Good but not exceptional, mediocre (like this one) or straight up trash.
I apply the same rule to movies as I do to vidya, I start with an expectation of mediocrity, and the more money gets poured into advertising and hyping, the lower my expectations get.

Generating impossible hype is a strategy to get idiots to buy as much of the product as possible before people realize that it's shit, so when I see massive hype I assume that the product is shit or at the very best mediocre.
>>
>>68224723
And Starkiller's destruction of the planets.

Fuck I didn't even know what the planets were until after the movie, and I hardly even cared. It wasn't the Rebel's home base and it wasn't a horrible choice forced upon a Rebel leader for her peaceful homeworld versus the one hope against the domination of the Empire, so why should I care? I don't know these people.
>>
>>68224723
Starkiller base was just a plot device to get the heroes and villains together. The real climax was the character based stuff on the ground. JJ was using the starkiller to tell you that star wars is about characters not superweapons

If the trench run was the focus the movie would be an actual ripoff of ANH
>>
>>68224723
Even when they destroy 5 planets, it just feels like a dry fart and everyone shrugs. It had 0 impact on the movie, and no one seemed to care.
When the Deathstar blew up Leias home, there was that "Oh fuuuckk" moment when you really felt like some terrible shit just went down.
>>
>>68224890
Yeah obi wan sitting in a chair looking constipated was really an OH SHIT reaction

Even Leia is back to sunshine and quips when shes rescued a few hours later and never mourns alderaan
>>
File: 1460553883012.jpg (49 KB, 316x434) Image search: [Google]
1460553883012.jpg
49 KB, 316x434
>>68224865
that's pretty deep.
Thanks, JJ.
>>
>>68224723
The planets it blew up didn't have anyone or anything we cared about on them, the way it recharged was pushing it even for Star Wars superweapons, we already know that a shitload of rebels will get killed trying to take it down, the whole Trench Run thing was done before so it wasn't interesting, so on and so forth.

Like everything I've seen from Abrams interpretations of superior movies, it was filled with flash and spectacle but almost painfully unoriginal.
>>
>>68224942
>>68224890

I was talking about the actual trench run you guys. Poe just blows it up in a non spectaclar fashion with no build up or pressure or anything. It was just boring.

How can that even be argued?
>>
>>68220602
Fuck yes it did, anyone who says otherwise is either shitposting, a /pol/ neocon or never liked starwars in the first place and will likely have problems with those films as well.

TFA isn't perfect, but it's a welcome return to what made Star Wars great in the beginning. Good writing, charismatic and well developed characters, a sense of scale and enduring sense of hope and adventure.

Inb4 Mary Sue and muh white people.
>>
File: vZtKFCS.jpg (78 KB, 1349x565) Image search: [Google]
vZtKFCS.jpg
78 KB, 1349x565
>>68224947
People get so triggered by Leia not hugging chewie they completly missed the significance of this shot

>Dumb normie masses may love the space battles but the true core of Star wars is the characters
>>
>>68223285
>kids do
Maybe that's why I was getting some odd flashbacks of Anakin in his dumb helmet as a kid.

>>68225131
What's the significance of this shot?
>>
>>68225412
Read the greentext

Leia and Rey are in center frame mourning Han alone while the normies are going WHOOOO HOO WE BLEW UP THE DEATH STAR off to the side
>>
>>68225527
Then why isn't Chewie with them? He was the closest to Han, Rey barely knew him along with the rest of the people celebrating over there. Why would you mourn someone you didn't know over celebrating a victory?
>>
>>68225595
Chewie was off seeing to finn.

But like i said youre so triggered Chewie isnt there youre missing the point
>>
>>68225627
But Chewie not hugging Leia barely bothers me.
What bothers me is your interpretation of this scene. The large group of people celebrating most likely didn't know Han at all up until the small moment he showed up in the base. They're not "normies" acting retarded, they're people who are glad to not be blown the fuck up by Death Star 2.5.

Anyways since Star Wars is about the characters it would make more sense for Chewie to be with Leia due to their experiences together and Rey to be with Finn. I mean Rey REALLY gives a shit about Finn for some odd reason, so why is she with Leia?
>>
>>68225082
>good characters
>not Mary Sue

Luke needed to be saved a dozen times in episode IV. By the end of the movie, the only things he was able to do with the force was block a few shots from a drone (which didn't even impress or shock Han, who didn't believe in the force), and make that shot at the end of the movie. And both of those times, Ben was guiding him.

Meanwhile, MaRey Sue learned every trick in the book, with NO instruction, and in only 24 hours. There only two times in the ENTIRE movie where she ever actually needed any help.

That's not good writing. There was no tension in the entire movie. Even the villains are bumbling, helpless cartoon characters that get wrekt constantly.
>>
>>68225765
>The large group of people celebrating most likely didn't know Han at all up until the small moment he showed up in the base. They're not "normies" acting retarded, they're people who are glad to not be blown the fuck up by Death Star 2.5.

Good god, are you retarded? Directorial intent is separate from character motivation. jj is saying YOU THE AUDIENCE should care more about characters not that the guys on the left are stupid for not mourning Han
>>
Anyone else boycotted this film?

I hate Disney and Abrams with a passion. I'm glad I didn't push up their margins.
>>
>>68225913
Well yes, it's obvious that JJ is trying to emphasize the characters on the right more than the left. Your little greentext though
>Dumb normie masses may love the space battles but the true core of Star wars is the characters
Does a poor job of explaining that though.

Anyways, it's hard for me personally to care about Rey when she's not as well written as Han, Leia, Luke, or even Finn. Episode VII barely revealed anything about her aside from her mommy daddy issues and her shocking comfort with using the force. Add Chewie and maybe 3PO to that shot and I think JJ might have pulled off something with that shot, but otherwise there's nothing really significant about it.
>>
>>68225815
Rey is a different character. She is a competent warrior as witnessed in the movie.
Yep, she should've struggled more, but her being good at fighting and survival follows the movie logic.
Besides, The Force works in mysterious ways. Not everything has to be explained.
>>
>>68220602

I hated it. 4>5>6>1>7=2=3

Very corporate, safe, boring, marketable. Heavy reliance on nostalgia, nothing interesting or memorable, no real surprises. The one saving grace is that it looked amazing. Other than that I was quite bored and it felt more like 2 young kids writing themselves into a Star Wars fanfiction than a great sequel. Not interested in episode 8.
>>
It wasn't as shit as the Prequels so it did for me, not looking forward to 5 years of star wars in a row though, it's going to stagnate. fast.
>>
>>68220602
>shot of a bunch of planets who seem to be only a couple thousand km apart getting blown up
>starkiller base explodes and then turns into a planet sized sun
it truly was the greatest movie of the century
>>
>>68225131
>People get mad that Leia wasn't the one to promt the hug
>Chewie clearly walks past her as she approaches Rey
>>
>>68225945
>boycotting disney
>>
File: 1460301964463.png (497 KB, 512x677) Image search: [Google]
1460301964463.png
497 KB, 512x677
>>68221708
>this guy took the time to write this
>>
>>68225595
While that's true he was taking Finn off to be treated and now he owes a Life Debt to Rey for not letting Han's death be in Vain on the Base.
>>
>>68225595
While that's true he was taking Finn off to be treated and now he owes a Life Debt to Rey for not letting Han's death be in Vain on the Base. There was still time between these shots where they probably took the time to grieve, doesn't all have to be shot in the same movie, these are done in trilogies for a reason I'd hope.
>>
>>68226127
OF Course it was explained IN EVERY OTHER MOVIE IT WAS USED IN. But not with Disney's new Tiara Princess however, because we know why she's all powerful for no reason---m a R E Y S U E ! !
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 304x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 304x475
>>68223475
The experience of watching TFA is like watching 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead'.... We're seeing A New Hope through the eyes of marginal characters, and mediocrities at that.

Hamlet doesn't stop being interesting just because we're watching his college buddies instead... Neither does Poe stop being the main character of TFA. This flick worked so hard to avoid giving us its most interesting characters.
>>
>>68225913
None of them Knew Han was dead right off the bat besides Rey, Unconcsious Finn, Chewie and Leia.
>>
I liked the villains
>>
>>68226657
Leave out the death star 2.dumb, leave out all that shit, especially Rey. Keep, REN, FINN and POE...this pandering bul
>>
>>68226762
The First Order is great. Theyre a bunch of Empire wannabes who idolize the ideology of their parents just to feel better about themselves. Theyre actually quite pathetic and are only dangerous cuz they have big gufns and rabid fanaticism

Theyre a lot more complex than just the Empire 2 i was expecting
>>
File: image.jpg (395 KB, 1632x816) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
395 KB, 1632x816
>>68226822
Yeah I mean on some level, we don't need to see Rey training extensively, first because the character doesn't need training, but also because it's a retread... If they have enough lines that sort of suggest what she's going through, they may be able to suggest her experiences without overdoing it.

For example, we know almost nothing about the Imperial Commanders from the OT, but every once in awhile they'll say something like
>Lord Vader, you honour us with your presence...
And it's immediately clear that they absolutely hate working for Vader, but can't do anything about it. I'd love to see Rey use those same kinds of false honourifics with Luke, to suggest what she's going through.
>>
>>68227103
>The First Order was a Jewish take on ultimate evil. And because modern Jews are obsessed with The Shoah and WWII everything magically relates to MUH SIX MILLION.
I think this is some sort of cheap copypasta, but the Empire took a lot of inspiration in design from Nazis. While Force Awakens got a little to heavy on the Nazi symbolism with the First Order speech, otherwise it was fairly in tone with the normal Empire. The First Order is the average take on evil, it has nothing to do with Jews.
>>
File: image.jpg (194 KB, 835x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194 KB, 835x1000
>Master Luke, you are both beneficent and wise. Any student would be grateful to study under such a one as yourself...
= she f**kin hates him.
>>
File: oaR0IC0HFIw.jpg (52 KB, 395x594) Image search: [Google]
oaR0IC0HFIw.jpg
52 KB, 395x594
>>68227321
Master Luke, do you like my new dress?
>>
>>68227103
Hmmm, i love this pasta
>>
>>68227418
How did she find enough tea cosies to knit a dress out of them?
>>
It's the best star wars. Prove me wrong.

You will try
>>
File: image.jpg (151 KB, 955x952) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
151 KB, 955x952
The First Order are basically comic book villains for people who thought that Ralph Fiennes played a complex character in Schindler's List.
>>
>>68220602

Honestly, wasn't as bad as the prequels, that's all I could hope for. So it did live up to the hype for me.
>>
>>68227564
There is no try.
>>
File: 1457284654457.jpg (148 KB, 1536x864) Image search: [Google]
1457284654457.jpg
148 KB, 1536x864
bump
>>
>>68228709
>why the long face ben
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 500x580) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 500x580
Will the Resistance descend into chaos as the order fosters a higher morale? Or would that be too novel?
>>
>>68229290
Laura Dern is playing either a Republic or Resistance General who antagonizes Poe and Leia, so some of the conflict within the movie will be from within the ranks of the good guys.
>>
File: 1450968647550.png (827 KB, 1440x803) Image search: [Google]
1450968647550.png
827 KB, 1440x803
>Did it live up to the hype?
It killed my interest for StarWars.
>>
>>68220602
For me yeah.
>>
File: 1418017481174.png (31 KB, 207x207) Image search: [Google]
1418017481174.png
31 KB, 207x207
>>68220602
they did not even try
>>
>>68229888
The prequels didn't, but TFA did? Please.
>>
File: 1411027370730.gif (798 KB, 422x354) Image search: [Google]
1411027370730.gif
798 KB, 422x354
>>
>>68229888
Same.
>>
>>68220602
Yep. I thought it was great. Fun adventure, like the originals, and I liked Kylo Ren a lot.

I think it helps I expected it to be absolute shit, so was pleasantly surprised
>>
>>68230286
The prequels were absolute shit, but they weren't filled with SJW jewish feminist bullshit.
>>
File: 1901158_1613734228860292.jpg (22 KB, 604x440) Image search: [Google]
1901158_1613734228860292.jpg
22 KB, 604x440
>>68230286
>>68229888
>People who were 2 when TPM was released are now adults
>>
>>68222204
>rey was a jedi padawan and descendant of luke
Oh come on now.
>>
>>68231070
>SJW jewish feminist bullshit
>the main character is a cutie-patootie waifu-material
>token black guy, just like in previous trilogies
>basically all the jews in the cast are the same ones who played in the OT

What are you getting at t b h ?
>>
>>68222356
Poe is introduced as "General Organa's best pilot" or something like that. It's not like he just turns out to be amazing at piloting, the reason he's sent on the mission where he meets, liberates and names Finn and sends BB-8 to eventually meeting Rey with the map is that he's the best pilot in the resistance/rebels/ whatever they are
>>
>>68222537
>>68222771
Yeah it's true it's a bit too Mary Sue to have her go
>wait what is this mind connection whoa
>oh is this how its done
>lel Kylo I enter your mind now how you like that huh Jedi Mind trick up in this bitch gimme that blaster
within an hour. It's a bit much. I wish she'd had at least like knocked the stormtrooper out due to not knowing how to finetune the amount of control or done some other fuck-ups or anything
>>
>>68222099
Because it was good.
>>
>>68221708
Ah a post from someone that didn't pay attention while watching the movie.
>>
>>68220602
Would've prefered if Poe flew the Falcon instead of obnoxious and not very pretty Mary Sue.
>>
So are they going to make Finn Rey's love interest or just friend zoned friend? I'd like to see her meet and fall for Poe who is also bffs with Finn.

Actually I just want more Poe Dameron focus in the next film. He was actually competent and charming. He saved the day twice and is the best pilot in the Resistance. He can hold his own with a blaster at least as good as Finn was shown to be able to. Actually, other than knowing about Starkiller base because he was a Stormtrooper and getting his shit fucked up by Kylo, what did Finn even do in the movie? He rescued Poe only because he needed a pilot and then proceeded to not be able to do anything without help from someone else. Why did they make him such a pussy?
>>
File: 26562.jpg (66 KB, 704x476) Image search: [Google]
26562.jpg
66 KB, 704x476
It's all about forcing SJW propaganda now.

As Kasdan said in an interview, he and JJ asked themselves what it would be like if the Nazis had gone to Argentina and regrouped after WWII.

From birth, Jews are raised with this idea that homogeneous white societies will inevitably result in goose-stepping, ethnic cleansing, and warmongering. And I could understand that outlook if history had begun in 1930. But the truth is, whites are the most egalitarian and least barbaric group in human history.

That's what frustrates many of us when jewish SJW Hollywood sensibilities become accepted norms. They're slanted, prejudiced and their bias goes unchallenged by everyone.

The First Order was a Jewish take on ultimate evil. And because modern Jews are obsessed with The Shoah and WWII everything magically relates to MUH SIX MILLION.

It has gotten boring. It's stale. I wish we could get a more nuanced view of evil, but that won't happen because show-biz Jews always find a way of politicizing everything.

Like, recently I saw a movie set in 1920s London. There were several shots of a black man and a white woman walking as a couple in the street. It was there to sell us something. It was out of place and revisionist. It's tacky and it's condescending.

The objective is to shape public opinion with the assumption that everyone needs "educating" and are too dumb to pick up on the flagrant advertising of their agenda. In this case, it was a short throwaway scene and it still took me out of the movie. The message is basically, "You're too dumb to find the right opinions by yourself, so we're going to give you direction by placing propaganda in the media you consume."

SJW placement just seems dishonest and manipulative. Flagrant product placement annoys me whether it's a product I like or not. It takes me out of the ride that it should be, pauses everything to remind me what I'm supposed to think, and then expects me to jump back in with full enthusiasm.
>>
>>68220602
It was never going to live up to the hype (which was not only being better than the prequels but ALSO being as good as the OT) but it was totally enjoyable, like a well made cheeseburger or slice of pizza.
>>
>>68231070
It's funny that you think this is an actually reasonable or competent opinion

this is "whaaa I'm a virgin girls won't talk to me so the movie SUCKS!"
>>
No it didn't. But it was still alright.
>>
File: B5Ewi.jpg (175 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
B5Ewi.jpg
175 KB, 1024x768
Band of Brothers style movie series/miniseries about Storm/Scout trooper squad and the realities of war, humanizing them, showing their comradery and proving that they're not all evil and actuallu believe the Empire was doing good fucking when?

Disney should make something like this for the adult fans that prefer a more grounded, war based movie that focuses on a smaller scale and highlights that no war is so clear cut good and evil.
>>
>>68232587
>pasta gets posted earlier in the thread and gets deleted
>let's post it again!

jesus christ
>>
>>68232933
Gareth Edwards has said that Rogue One is going to explore both sides of the conflict and try to paint some of the Imperials as reasonable people since the Force isn't a big factor in it.

Even guys like Piett and Needa seemed like decent folk who just happened to be on the wrong side
>>
>>68220602
Yes. Fuck those who say this was SJW propaganda. Just because it has a female lead doesn't mean it's tumblr. Fuck em all
>>
>>68220602
When it earned over a billion in the box office I began to lose my faith in my fellow Americans. Now it is at almost 1 billion in America alone.
That means some people loved this movie enough to see it 5, 6, 7 times without seeing how shallow and empty it was.
>>
>>68232933
Or a movie focusing on a TIE fighter squadron (Empire preferably, but First Order acceptable) or a Rebel (again preferable, but Resistance would be okay -- they could even focus it around Dameron and his Squadron) X-Wing Squadron. War movie about space battles and the pilots instead of Jedi and the ground battles. A throwback to the old school dogfighting of WWII, but in space.
>>
>>68220602
The hype? No, nothing ever does. Still a great action/adventure movie, for a reboot/sequel hybrid.
>>
>>68233083
I saw it seven times in the theater, watched the rip twice and then watched it again when I bought the blu-rey

It's one of the most complex and character driven movies in the saga rivaled only by Empire. Fite me.
>>
>>68222257
His critism about the brainwashing actually doesn't stand since it is explicitly stated in the movie that some soldiers show noncompliance and they have reconditioning centers for that.

Finn just Broke on his first mission being asked to murder people and got the fuck outta dodge before he could be reconditioned.
>>
>>68233154
Not worth the effort
>>
>>68233218
>Finn just Broke on his first mission being asked to murder people and got the fuck outta dodge before he could be reconditioned.

I'm a little disappointed we didn't get to see what "reconditioning" is, or really find out how the Stormtroopers are brainwashed.
>>
>>68221708
>Prequels

We want a Star Wars movie that's like the OT!

>TFA

NOOOOOOOOOOOO ANH RIPOFF NOO MARVEL KEKS MILENIALS DID THIS NOO
>>
>>68233279
>I have no criticism of the movie besides buzzwords and kneejerk reactions
>my complaints essentially boil down to "niggers kikes jews SJWs feminism mary sue!"
>>
>>68232587

fuck off jewhater
>>
File: Untitled.png (140 KB, 741x219) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
140 KB, 741x219
Yes. Or do we not like RT now?
>>
Were we supposed to believe that Rey was able to beat Kylo because of her latent force powers being stronger (and suddenly knowing how to use a ls?) and that he was just totally beaten or because he was injured and emotional from killing his father and thus not at his best so her force potential gave her the edge despite him being a better fighter?
>>
>>68233327
You'll never bait me into wasting time explaining why this shit movie was so devoid of the substance and magic the OT had.
>>
>>68233697
The latter. Add to that Kylo's "you need a teacher!" that suggests he intended to take her alive.

He was using kiddy gloves on her after he'd been hurt. In the choice between killing her or letting her get a shot in and running, he let the latter happen because he'll heal faster than it takes her to become good enough to beat him.
>>
>>68220602
No. Everyone i talk to just thinks it's kind of meh.
>>
>>68233724
You only think the ot had substance and magic because they came first.

Also, you're making the same mistake literally every shitlord here does: compairing the content of one movie (tfa) against the combined content of two other trilogies. Tfa is better than tpm, and on par easily with anh. How 8 and 9 stack against 2, 3, 5, and 6 is yet to be seen.
>>
>>68220602
Not even fucking close. I went in with good faith, no matter how shitty their ideas were as long as they were taking risks expanding the idea of Star Wars, I was going to walk out happy. It's why I really enjoyed episode I, that movie really expanded the SW universe despite some shit moves like midichlorians. Instead, I walked out with a blank look on my face.. That's all TFA was, a blank template of episode IV that some retarded racist Jew (that shares peculiar similarities to the collector Kivas Fajo from Star Trek TNG) turned into a full-length movie.

Millions of people and multiple generations were looking forward to the wild ideas an "Episode 7" would have had for so long, three decades or more! It's so sad that it was so generic. Here's hoping episode 8 will actually have legs to stand on, because TFA has almost been forgotten already!
>>
>>68233218
I'm sorry, but if you are raised from birth to support and fight for a group like the First Order, there shouldn't be resistance. His first memories were the First Order, his entire life was the First Order. Either they're doing brainwashing wrong or JJ just can't write.
>>
>>68233836
>he let the latter happen because he'll heal faster than it takes her to become good enough to beat him.
This is dumb and purely speculative. There is nothing that points to Kylo continuing to go easier on her after that "you need a teacher"shit. If he was stronger than her, he could have put up a better defense and not potentially risk being horribly dismembered, disfigured, or killed.
>>
>>68233931
>enjoyed episode 1
>MUH WORLDBUILDING

I'm sorry you're triggered TFA actually focused on being a good movie with likable characters instead of a source for you to write an autistic wookiepedia article

>>68234407
Of the millions and millions of Stormtroopers why is it so fucking outlandish that one slipped through the cracks? You think no one has ever tried to leave Scientology?
>>
>>68234518
No you're right it's not outlandish, the way it happened was outlandish. If JJ Abrams bothered to make Finn's experience on Jakku more traumatic then sure, I'd give him a pass and actually like him.
Also
>comparing Scientology to space Nazis with immense power
You don't do it
>>
>>68234511
It's not like he made the decision then, he just made the comment then.

He had been fighting with Finn and hurting himself in order to drum up enough pain to power his connection to the dark side. He's tired and even more injured at that point.

>disfigured
Does he even care about that? Hell, he might not even care about being dismembered since it'll bring him closer to his idol.
>>
>>68234588
>If JJ Abrams bothered to make Finn's experience on Jakku more traumatic then sure

You have to be some kind of fucking sociopath to not see why someone might be traumatized by seeing several dozen innocent people gunned down in front of him
>>
>>68234692
You'd have to completely turn your brain off to assume the First Order wouldn't prepare their soldiers to commit those kind of acts. It's Star Wars anyways, blaster shots aren't horrific.
There was apparently a decent deleted scene where Finn was in the position to kill a woman and her infant. That's the kind of shit this movie needed for Finn. Personal, face to face moments with Finn and the people he's fighting. Not off-screen civilian killing.
>>
>>68234692
>innocent
You mean savages who were harboring criminals with information vital to the First Order, the bringer of justice and peace and control in times of chaos?

>fucking sociopath
That's the POINT. That's what Finn should be. He should be unsympathetic and rolling in reasons for why the people he killed or saw killed deserved it or don't matter.
>>
>>68230286
Prequels brought me to the brink and TFA was the coup de grace
>>
It was a glib facsimile

Not even memeing. That's the best way to describe it.

I also can guarantee the episode 8 will be the same. A rehash of ESB.
>>
>>68220602

No.

It was pretty bad considering how much potential it had.

Honestly I prefer the prequels, they were at least dumb CGI fun with one or two neat scenes.

This is just shit. Shit.
>>
>>68220602
I wasn't hyped. I thought more Star Wars was a bad idea, especially sequels. Still do. But the movie came through and exceeded my expectations in a few ways (namely Kylo Ren). I still don't think it's great, but it was good enough to have piqued my interest in VIII.
>>
>>68233627
How is this even possible? Just doesn't seem real
>>
>>68234692
I feel like they made him snap his brainwashing WAY too quick. He went from soldier to comic relief, friendly, self-insert acting normal joe way too fucking quick considering his background. It was a huge waste of what could have been a compelling character. It literally felt like being raised since birth to be a soldier had little effect at all other than making him naive.
>>
>>68233697
It's a combo of both. I think it was made pretty clear that under other circumstances, Kylo would probably have kicked Rey's shit in. He froze her like it was nothing the first time they met, after all. Barely any effort at all to subdue her. She's powerful with the Force but entirely untrained, but it was enough to overcome an injured Kylo at that moment. Especially since it was an "awakening", heroic moment, so she was stronger than usual.
>>
File: leleleleel.jpg (15 KB, 327x324) Image search: [Google]
leleleleel.jpg
15 KB, 327x324
It did for me, i was expecting it to be much, much worse. it did everything it was expected of it - reestablish the star wars feeling, introduce new characters you care about or at least seem as interesting, cater to the star wars fans with references, no cgi bullshit, and shitty ass fucking acting like in prequels.
>>
>>68220602

Not even close.
>>
>>68233697
Rey was also able to beat Kylo because Kylo didn't want to kill her. Snoke tells him that he has compassion for the Scavenger girl, Hux warns him about his personal interests, and Kylo himself essentially begs Rey to let him become her teacher.

He didn't want to kill her, he just wanted to overpower her enough that she'd let him teach her.

Also Kylo was, as you say, injured and emotionally rekt from the whole killing his father business thing and right after that finding that Rey is swinging the lightsaber that belonged to his granddad and which his father gave to him at some point and all that.

All in all, I do hope Rey wouldn't have been so goddamn OP right off the bat. It's like she's the new force messiah or something. If she's that amazing as soon as she's in any sort of contact with the force how amazing is she going to be as soon as she gets the least bit of training?
>>
>>68220602
Sure as fuck did for me. I love this movie
>>
>in theaters
9/10 flashy as shit
>at home
6/10 its literally a fanfiction rewrite of A New Hope
Honestly a better film would've been explaining the shit that ACTUALLY fucking happened with Skywalker between 6 and 7 instead of ostensibly relegating it for a flashback sequence in 8.
Rogue One looks to be more of the same, really.
>>
>watching Twitch the other day
>group of people playing game and talking about TFA
>They're all praising it and talking about how much they liked it
>can't believe what I'm hearing
>get seriously triggered for the first time in a long time
>fuck this fucking shit
>unsubscribe
>>
I was hyped for it since everyone was praising it. I was a bit disappointed when I watched it, and even more disappointed when I watched it the 2nd time.

Rey is easily the worst character in the movie. It was cringeworthy every time she opens her stupid fucking bong mouth and exaggeratedly bobs her head and does that shit eating grin. Finn was alright, some of his jokes were really unfunny though. Kylo Ren and Han were the best parts of the movie.
>>
>>68237968
how autistic are u
>>
>>68237968
>waaaah people can only like what I like :(
>>
>>68234407
Hello. Late to respond, but the only thing you should be sorry for is being a dumb fucking faggot. I'm not getting into a circular argument because I literally addressed what you stated in the very post you replied too.

Storm troopers need reconditioning sometimes. This is RIGHT IN THE FUCKING MOVIE. Its not a perfect process, and kylo even quips about going back to using clones. Finn fucked off before he could be reconditioned.

End of story faggot.
>>
>>68220602
I legitimately don't understand how anyone can think it's good.
>>
>>68238057
Agreed, I liked Poe Dameron as well but he barely appeared
>>
>>68220602
yes.
>>
File: STARCUVL;.jpg (74 KB, 548x951) Image search: [Google]
STARCUVL;.jpg
74 KB, 548x951
>>68231070
This. I STILL can't get over the casting of Finn. So many fucking eyerolls when his ugly mug showed up on screen.

Me and my gf were just shaking our heads laughing.
>>
>>68242311
that picture of mark is from 77, and the one of hayden is from 2004

who the fuck made this
>>
>>68242421
Exact dates not 100% accurate but the point still stands
>>
File: yh.png (7 KB, 238x214) Image search: [Google]
yh.png
7 KB, 238x214
>>68242600
You fucking idiot
>>
Hell no.
>>
>>68229888
Same.
>>
>>68243117
Fuck off you Jew nigger loving shill
>>
What's killed my interest in Star Wars is that it's EVERYWHERE now. Same thing when the prequels came out. Couldn't escape it. I just want to watch the films and enjoy them for what they are without being bombarded by Star Wars shit everywhere I go.
>>
>>68237889
>Honestly a better film would've been explaining the shit that ACTUALLY fucking happened with Skywalker between 6 and 7

This. You just know it's going to be explained in like 2 lines of dialogue and then they move on to the next action scene. It would have been cool seeing an older Luke come to terms with his power and all that, instead he's just some macguffin on an island.
>>
I liked it a lot

Stayed true to the originals and also brought in some freshness
>>
File: freg.jpg (12 KB, 354x352) Image search: [Google]
freg.jpg
12 KB, 354x352
>>68221708
>valid
>invalid
>same as the first point
>valid
>wrong
>invalid
>reddit-tier humor
>what the fuck am I reading
>you're retarded
overall a very reddit post.
>>
Needed more Luke.
>>
>>68242311
Wow I never noticed how similar/girly Luke and Anakin are. They actually look related in that pic.
>>
File: 1452147188903.jpg (83 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1452147188903.jpg
83 KB, 960x960
>>68244463
Thread replies: 226
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.