[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does hollywood seem to love Australian actors and actresses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
File: 5ehgza.jpg (106 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
5ehgza.jpg
106 KB, 500x667
Why does hollywood seem to love Australian actors and actresses so much lately? They're not particularly talented and it's not that hard to find good-looking people trying to make it.
>>
>>68213905
>lately?
This shit has been happening since Errol Flynn
>>
>>68213905

>Not particularly talented.

Tell that to Kate Blanchett, Hugh Jackman, Heath Ledger, Hugo Weaving and Mel Gibson.
>>
>>68213933

That's true but there's 100 more who are plain average, like the ones who go from neighbours or home and away.

Also it's *cate and mel gibson isn't ours.
>>
They're cheap and aren't covered by the endless list of union shit that American actors are.
>>
because Australian actors start out relatively humble and less likely to put on petulant bullshit. it's only through prolonged exposure to Hollywood do they turn into Russel Crowes and Mel Gibsons.
>>
>>68213905
>cheap
>not whiny sperging feminists
>superior genetics
>>
It's cute how Hollywood is letting them keep their accents now
>>
>>68214454

> christian bale throws a hissy fit on set
> Joseph Nichol goes to cry on Sam Worthington's shoulder
> "y-you wouldn't be so mean, would you?"
> Sam gazes into his eyes and smiles gently
> "Nah, mate. I'm not an up-his-self wanker."
>>
>>68213905
Because we're taller than americans, we're 90% white, we don't put up a stink like Britcucks and will work for cheaper and do capeshit. We don't give a fuck
>>
Stay jelly cunts.

When I went to the US on holidays I got laid because of my based accent alone several times
>>
butthurt cunt
>>
>>68213933
It's nothing compared to British actors
>>
>>68213905
I'm just tired of Chris and Liam hemsworth. They both suck so much
>>
Because they have the class of the English without the snobbishness.
>>
If you think that's the case don't look at the number of Britfag actors
>>
>>68214520
>stay jelly
Lol why would anyone be jealous? Australians are the least creative / innovative of the Anglosphere. So many movies, literature, art, etc are produced by the rest of us and you guys are perpetually lagging behind. Now that I think about it, it's not even limited to the arts, you guys suck at science and technology too. It's a bit pathetic if I'm being completely honest.
inb4
>muh George Miller
>muh Heath Ledger
>muh Peter Singer
>>
>>68214778
>Australians are the least creative / innovative of the Anglosphere.

That would be Canada
>>
>>68214778
>suck at science and technology
You do realize that Australia invented wifi right? you know that thing that most people on this site are using.
>>
>>68214778
Isn't Australia's population like 20 million people? Do you really expect them to match the output of a country with 15x its population?
>>
>>68214714
>Australians
>class
Not a chance. We are the most classless white people on Earth.
>>
>>68214778
>So many movies, literature, art, etc are produced by the rest of us and you guys are perpetually lagging behind
It's because the screen industry sucks in Australia, unless you want to make movies about Lebs, Muslims or gays. It's why so much of our talent go overseas.

>you guys suck at science and technology too
How are you enjoying that wi-fi?
>>
>>68214897
>>68214923
Jokes on you

I have an ethernet cable
>>
>>68214909
>He didn't grow up in St Ives

To be fair, everyone I know went to boarding school has a divorced parent with a prescription med addiction and does way too much MDMA, but hey we aren't bogans at least.
>>
We're bargain bin brits.
>>
>>68213905
merican actors are all motivated by wanting to be rich and famous, basically a bunch of self centered assholes.

aussies and brits want to study the craft
>>
>>68214899

For all our talent we really seem to lack at film and television.
>>
>>68214933
>Jokes on you I use worse technology
No it's still on you
>>
>>68214933
AUSTRALIANS LITERALLY BTFO
>>
>>68214483
If a aussie actor cant hide their accent on American media they dont deserve it.
>>
Am I the only one who thinks British actors are incredibly overrated

Aside from Elba and Hardy
>>
File: TheLovedOnes2009.jpg (27 KB, 193x203) Image search: [Google]
TheLovedOnes2009.jpg
27 KB, 193x203
>>68214983
>we really seem to lack at film and television.

I do not understand this meme. How many great films do we need to make before we can at least say we did alright
>>
>>68215133
Fassbender, Firth, Bale, freeman, DDL, mcevoy?
>>
>>68215156
I'm sure you could name a few over the last 50 years but there's really not as many as there should be, every great aussie movie list looks pretty similar.
>>
>>68215191
>Fassbender
Ok
>firth
Meh
>bale
P good
>Freeman
Lol
>DDL
I'M ACTING
>mcevoy
Literally who
>>
>>68214513
>90% white

mate you been to a major city recently? I'd be surprised if it was 80%
>>
>>68215229
Not necessarily. Again, for the population size, Australia pushes above its weight
>>
>>68215249

Colin Firth is amazing in the kings speech.
>>
>>68214995
Ethernet is leagues better than wi-fi you retard
>>
>>68215302
The King's speech was one of the worst BPs in the last decade
>>
>>68215415
It's marginally better and wi-fi wins because of convenience.
>>
>>68215424
You're just uncultured and probably in an unhealthy weight range. Even if you didn't like the movie, you can't deny his performance.
>>
>>68215133
Fucking Fiennes nigger

He's one of the best around at this moment.
>>
That Jason Clarke guy is the most mystifying.

Not that handsome, no charisma, no name recognition and still gets huge roles.
>>
File: Felicity Jones-3gg4.jpg (556 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
Felicity Jones-3gg4.jpg
556 KB, 1280x1920
>>68213905
They seem to love British actors more in terms of actors from English speaking countries, though that's nothing new as they've had a big presence in American films for decades. Maybe they see Australians as a cheaper alternative.
>>
>>68214933
joke's on you, too. CSIRO invented ethernet.
>>
Crocodile dundee. Not even joking
>>
>>68215156
never. NEVER, NEVER EVER.

australians are not, generally, about rabid self-promotion. there are a few sociopath exceptions, but most of the time where an american will make a mediocre film he'll be all THIS IS THE BEST GOD-DAMNED FILM SINCE GERHARDT VON GOLL DOLLIED DOWN A CORRIDOR, and an Australian will make a great film and he'll be all "yeah, nah, it's okay, i guess."

just because the american's film has more lens flare and a bigger marketing budget doesn't make it better.
>>
>>68213905
Even though they're shitposting constantly, there's no denying that Aussies are somehow damn good at everything.
Olympics, acting, shitposting, looking good. These are things Aussies seem to be naturally good at.
>>
>>68217311

England literally sent their prisoners here to colonise and we literally and not figuratively, became better than them at everything.
>>
>>68213905
Criminals are usually more charismatic and /fit/ than law abiding people due to their nature and 'hobbies' so it's not surprising aussies are based
>>68217340
I love ya straya but lets not pretend England isn't dominating Boxing , cricket and golf right now.
Boxing is the only one that matters but still
>>
>>68214853
>Canada
Assuming it's not racked up infinite negative points with the likes of Celine Dion, Nickelback and Bieber, at least it's doing something.

South Africa, on the other hand...
>>
>>68217573
>at least it's doing something

doing what? virtually the only films shot there are american because it's cheaper
>>
>>68217573
South africa had the largest grossing foreign language film for years. (100 million in 1980) but between sanctions and now that it a crapsack place means it movies are not seen often.

Also the marketable South Africans are mostly Afrikaans speakers. The English speaking whites have fled.

Also, Stander is underrated.
>>
>>68217573

>Canada
>Doing anything, ever
>>
>>68213905
Native English Speakers
White
Don't bitch about working long hours
Don't ask for silly money.
>>
File: Yorkshire strong.png (11 KB, 379x441) Image search: [Google]
Yorkshire strong.png
11 KB, 379x441
>>68217311
>>68217340
Friendly reminder that the English county of Yorkshire, with its population of just over 5 million, won the same amount of gold medals as Australia did in 2012.
>>
>>68217941

The state of Queensland won more medals than London with 1/4 of it's population.
>>
>>68217397
>Boxing is the only one that matters but still

Reminder that Australia has never, never won an Olympic gold in boxing. All talk no action.
>>
>>68217397
>England dominating golf
????

Theres one good golfer from the UK and he is Irish
>>
>>68218206
You must have missed just the other day an Englishman winning the Masters championship, with an English player coming runner up.
>>
>>68218137
>>68218260
This
>>
>>68217065
>just because the american's film has more lens flare and a bigger marketing budget doesn't make it better.

It kinda does. When your domestic output tops out at looking like arthouse/indie fare, it's going to end up treated like arthouse or indie fare.

And that's movies, where something occasionally decent games made. Our TV level output is just shit, full stop.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.