[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fmg/- Filmmaking General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 620x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 620x310
>What are you working on?
>What do you plan on working on?
>Have any stories you'd like to share?

I'm working on a noir short with some friends of mine, I'm directing, and we're all having a really good time. This is my first time with this much power in a short, and I'm really enjoying having people listen to me for once.

As expected though, since it's a student film the acting's a little fucky and the shots are weirdly composed. Still hoping I can pull something cool-looking out of my ass during editing.
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 750x750
>>68163122
Bump
>>
>>68163122
i was directing this short and my assistant director tried to sabotage it and take the project from me and then i kept shutting him down and telling him to fuck off.

he then sat outside with the cast who weren't getting their shots done and ranted about how they don't take him seriously.

then they shat on him.
>>
>>68164106
Sounds like the asshole got what he deserved.

You fire him?
>>
>>68164148
No but he spent the rest of the project sitting alone in the other rooms away from set.
>>
>>68163122

https://youtu.be/Wl8mkmx3w78

Last thing I did for fun a while back, there's a longer version too because it was a music video for a friend, I'm currently working on a little mockumentary
>>
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9ctvuy2ZREzSlhyTXQ1aUo5YU0

bought some footage off Editstock.com to play with, didn't realize how fucking stupid it was so I added in couple outside clips to try to make it funnier - I was mostly focused on just making the cuts smooth and then got lazy and didn't add coverage at the end
>>
>>68164222
Ah, cool stuff.

What was it about? Got any footage you can show us? Well, me anyway, no one else seems to be in here (at the time of this writing).
>>
>>68164148
>>68164222
but yeah i ain't working with him again.

i'm doing another short atm.
>>
>>68164233
https://youtu.be/JGn0NfMNGBk

There's the actual music video for anyone who wants it
>>
>>68164233
Oh shit, fedoraman! Fuck, I remember you, damn that was a while ago.
>>
File: hai.png (154 KB, 648x363) Image search: [Google]
hai.png
154 KB, 648x363
>>68164264
the footage got corrupted a long time ago and this was before i learned to keep projects backed up at all times as many times as possible.

i have screengrabs though.
>>
>>68164407
Looks pretty neat.
>>
>>68164369
Lmao I've worked on other people's projects as well just doing DP work but I'm doing software engineering right now so filmmaking has become more of a hobby. I don't think I can stomach the film industry I'm too moral.
>>
THANK GOD ONE OF THESE IS UP.

I'm working on this movie, an adaptation of Hamlet.
I was going to swap out the kingdom for a drug empire, but I've realized that making it a big business interests me a lot more, even though it's been done before.
But how the hell would I get clearance to shoot inside a company building? What do you guys think? Is there anything else I can substitute for a kingdom?
>>
>>68164492
I tape auditions for a casting director (he casted Evil Dead II back in the day) and he told me stories about how even casting directors are in constant conflict to the point where they hustle each other.

He's apparently working with Scorsese on something coming up but idk when that is.
>>
>>68164532
A small business.
>>
File: bleach.gif (156 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
bleach.gif
156 KB, 500x282
>working as an assistant editor for Discovery Channel
>9 camera show
>no one labeled the fucking clips
>used 3 mixers for 7 people but only had 1 person on each mixer
>don't worry we have other microphones!
>they never fucking work

kill me
>>
>>68164532
>how the hell would I get clearance to shoot inside a company building?
I don't know much about the film industry honestly, but from what I understand if you can get permits and shit from the building owners you can probably fins your way in. Just asking does wonders.
>>
>>68164586
Oh man.
>>
>>68164639
All you need is permission from the owner of the building. That or guerilla it.
>>
>>68164586
>>no one labeled the fucking clips
Now that sounds like a true Hell
>>
>>68163122
>image.jpg
>>
>>68164718
Not only that, but some of them are labeled using the filenames for OTHER shows
>>
>>68164577
You would kill your brother to become CEO of a small business?

>>68164639
>>68164698
I just don't want to write the script with a business in mind and then not be able to shoot in a business building.
And how the hell would I pull off a wedding scene? I have a lot of ideas, and no money.
>>
>>68164790
>uncle joe was really passionate about the bakery
>>
>>68164749
Hey fuck you at least I'm contributing.

>>68164761
Holy shit the absolute madmen
>>
>>68164831
You made me laugh, but I don't think Claudius killed his brother out of passion, but power.
It's just weird that he waited until he was an old ass man and an oncoming war was coming to do it.
Lion King did it better.
>>
>>68164790
>I have a lot of ideas, and no money.
This is a common complaint amongst early filmmakers. To it, I say: if your ideas are too big, maybe write 'em down and put 'em away for a while. Work on smaller, more manageable tasks before working your way up to that. By then you'll have enough experience and (hopefully) enough connections to pull that wedding scene off.
>>
Going to NAB in two days to help with a vendor, anyone here ever been?
>>
Who /post/ here
>>
>>68164931
Hamlet is one of Shakespeare's plays I actually haven't read, I will though since you mention it, or maybe I will just watch the movie. Good luck with your project mate.
>>
>>68165097
I'm kind of a jack-of-all-trades, but do edit most of all. Only web media at the moment, but looking to get into more commercial work.

Being a staff editor is nice for the stability though.
>>
>>68165007
Man, this Hamlet film was supposed to be my smaller idea.

>>68165099
Good luck finding an adaptation to watch. I think the most accurate is supposed to be Kenneth Branagh's, but it's 4 hours long.
>>
>>68165146
Good luck finding a staff gig unless you want to go corporate
>>
>>68165157
Well that will have to wait for another day then.

One thing, I think some States in the U.S. (I'm assuming you're American) have art grants and stuff like that, kind of like scholarships for art or movies.
>>
>>68165164
Nah, I mean I already *have* one, and yes, it's corporate. Is it the most creative work? Certainly not, but it gets me more up-to-date technically, as I was out of editing for a few years and hadn't had work to show for a long time.
>>
>>68165217
I think there are grants, but the whole entire thing confuses the hell out of me.
>>
>>68165242
Benefits must be nice
>>
>>68163122
>>What are you working on?
I'm finishing up my screenplay.
>>What do you plan on working on?
Selling scripts, maybe directing a small budget horror movie.
>>Have any stories you'd like to share?
It's about a woman, that has a miscarriage, but in her own little fucked up world the child survived and sees it alive walking, talking, etc.
Things take a turn for the worse when the woman's imaginary daughter brings a black man home for dinner.
She's now split between killing her imaginary daughter's black boyfriend or having sex with him.
I call it "The Black Phantom" it's gonna be like Brain Dead 1990
>>
>>68165328
Better than hunting for my own shit for sure, and I had been part time for a year, so honestly it's the best thing for me right now in terms of rebuilding my savings account, taking care of myself, etc.

I did the freelance thing for a measly 4 months in a half-hearted attempt to get into the camera department. I'm not ashamed to say I simply don't have the audacity to starve and force my way in. I admire those people, I do, but I have my niche here, which will hopefully allow me to get some personal stuff off the ground.
>>
>>68165373
I mean I was talking about filmmaking stories but that's cool too
>>
>>68164233
oh my fucking lord this is incredible thank you
>>
I have never really worked on screenplays, is re-writing a preexisting film a good idea for practice?
>>
>what are you working on
Trying to work on a reel. Most likely will be shit but I figured it's time to start showcasing what I got.
>what do you plan on working on?
Some more short films. Got a few in mind but need a script.
>have any stories you'd like to share?
One time while helping a friend with their short the actor and director (him) kept getting into arguments to the point of stalling production and just making everything uncomfortable as fuck
>>
>>68165644
If you re-write to the point where it doesn't take everything from but just takes the genrel concept I think is OK.
>>
>>68165644
yeah.
>>
>>68165644
For practice, absolutely.
>>
>>68165698
>>68165699
>>68165721

Neat. Recently I've been going to see movies with the purpose of thinking about how I would improve them from a writing perspective.

Also looking at doing adaptions of some of my favorite books that will likely never see the screen.
>>
>>68165788
Probably good desu.

I've found that barring certain movies where plot or story is quite clearly not the point (lookin' at you Hardcore Henry) it's gotten WAY more difficult for me to just sit back and enjoy movies anymore. It's a bit of a bitch to deal with, but it helps me keep a more honest opinion of what I'm doing with my own work.
>>
>>68165877
I feel like I've been more disappointed with movies in recent times than in the past.

I don't know if it's because I'm now actively examining the plot, or if I'm just getting older, o movies are getting shorter.
>>
>>68165960
>movies are getting shorter.
Oh fuck no. Everything's gotta be some big 2-hour epic nowadays.
>>
>>68165960
Shittier*
>>
>>68165960
Opposite over here, focusing more on the editing/cinematography and caring a lot less about the overall plot - more interested in why a cut works then plot holes and dramaturgdy.

Find the technical aspects of storytelling and pacing more compelling than the script
>>
as a director i think working with actors is probably the funnest thing to do.

you learn a lot about people's mannerisms just by observing their performances. it's very cool.
>>
BUP
>>
Sitting down saturday with some guys about making a new music video. We did a fundrequest a few months ago but it was denied. So we are going to have to do it on a smaller budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECVqm8he4g
>>
Literally going out to direct a short film in an hour. Wish me luck.
>>
>>68168897
Hallo Nedervriend.
>>
>>68168913
Good luck.

How many films have you made before? What is this one about? How long is it?
>>
I'm kind of interested in reading into this area a bit. (I read a book on script writing and it stuck on me a bit)
What sort of books would you recommend to learn some of the ins and outs?
>>
>>68164106
>assistant director

Just direct it yourself man. It's not that hard, and having an assistant director just creates a lot of potential for creative disputes which will fuck up your film.

I personally love directing but the minute other people try to intervene it's just a nightmare.
>>
>>68164586
This happened with the Discovery channel?
Sounds like the type of shit to happen in a film school project.

I'm guessing you were also blamed for it all too right?
>>
>>68169151
The assistant director isn't supposed to butt in creatively at all. That's not his job and he should've known that.
>>
>>68168897
>>68168995
Hello Dutchie
>>
>>68169018
I've done about 20 or so student films. (this is a student film too, but I think it'll be quite good). We only have one day to shoot it, so it'll be about 3 minutes.

The plot is about a woman working in a cinema after closing time. As she's leaving, she finds and old man laughing in one of the screening rooms. She gets annoyed, but then feels sorry for him (he's lonely and is pretending to be back on a date with his girlfriend) so she sits down and joins his little game.

I think it's quite a sweet script, but if I do a shitty job it'll just become a creepier Vertigo
>>
>>68169151
Without an AD you'd have to go around yelling at everyone yourself all the time. A director ain't got time for dat
>>
>>68164233
Hahahaha nice

Great cinematography etc
>>
Just bought a glidecam, a Panasonic GH4, a lens, and a tripod. Now I just need a mic setup.
>>
>>68169410
ntg 2 + dr70d senpai
>>
>>68169340
It's a bit harder, sure. But I enjoy the control I have over my own project.

I'm only talking about filming independent short films by the way. With anything professional or large scale you definitely need an AD, but the difference is in a professional environment an AD would know their role and not try to take over the director.
>>
>>68169454
I've never had a AD trying to take over. Does your guys just not know what the role is or what?
>>
>>68169448
Thanks senpai. I feel like sound is even more important than the picture quality

Anyone know a good place for free sound effects and ambient background noise? Or a place where I could torrent some?
>>
>>68169474
No we just have headstrong cunts who don't know their place.

>>68169491
Just do room tones after you shoot and after you do the wild lines
>>
>>68169491
First go out and record anything you can record yourself. Those are always better. Then just google free sound effects.
>>
>>68169474
In your own projects when you're using people you're friends with or just know well they get a bit too comfortable and try to do their own thing. Not ALL the time, but I'd rather just not have to deal with it at all.

Again, in professional environments this would very rarely ever happen, and you need an AD in that case anyway.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.