[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I legitimately don't understand how, if you are a lover
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 7
File: Stewart-Lee-009[1].jpg (17 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Stewart-Lee-009[1].jpg
17 KB, 460x276
I legitimately don't understand how, if you are a lover of comedy and if you have spent a lot of time watching stand-up and have a love for the medium itself, you could list any other comedian than Stewart Lee as your favorite.

No other comic compares, now or in the past, and I say this as an American who has a generally low opinion of British stand-ups.
>>
This last series was fairly weak, but that last episode was amazing.
>>
My friend once told me Stuart Lee is comedy for intelligent people. From then on I have refused to watch any Stuart Lee.
>>
>>68154412
I still have to catch up. I saw the first episode and it wasn't that great, but to me it's crazy that he's even managed to put out this much material regularly for years.
>>
>>68154753

There's a lot of repetition if you've seen his other material or seen him live, but it's still decent.

Then the final episode is outstanding. It's classic Lee, the kind you wouldn't expect to be on the BBC.
>>
File: Stew.jpg (357 KB, 1236x1079) Image search: [Google]
Stew.jpg
357 KB, 1236x1079
It's shit in a way because it actually spoils you for other legitimately not bad stand up, you can't just go from Stew to
>what's the deal with public transport, anyway?
>>
>>68154750
Yeah the hardest part of getting new people to like him is that he has a stigma for being someone who can only be enjoyed by intelligent people. Main problem with this is that despite how smug it sounds, it's also correct, and his comedy does take quite a bit more thought both to craft and to enjoy than most.

Some people are smarter than others, and law of averages states that eventually one of these assholes who thinks they are of above average intelligence is actually going to be correct, and one of these assholes who suggests that the thing they enjoy is crafted specifically for intelligent people is actually going to be correct, and that's the unfortunate and hard to swallow case here.

Besides which, I don't think that he has much interest in gaining a large following. He lives rather modestly and realized after starting and stopping so many times that the best thing to do is just maintain a following of die hards who will support everything you do.
>>
File: Kitson.jpg (16 KB, 590x400) Image search: [Google]
Kitson.jpg
16 KB, 590x400
Ive saw him live and he was alright. He's just been around doing funny things for years give or take, I mean TMWRNJ was good. There are obviously better standups out there.
>>
>>68154897
True, he exposes the mechanisms so well that it's hard even to watch a decent stand-up comedian do his act. I much prefer conversational shit shooting with comics now over their actual stage material.
>>
Overrated out the arsehole.
>>
>>68154348
He's a communist nigger lovin whore
>>
>>68154952
For real, I've been getting into some mostly LA based comedy podcasts for the past few months now, lots of stuff with Bill Burr, Louis CK et al but I can't stand more than 5 minutes of their actual stand up anymore. Even if they're just doing a bit character in the podcast I'd still rather listen to that than watch them on stage.
>>
>>68155051
His views are definitely left wing but his persona is inflated and he often attacks his own audience for their hypocrisy.
>>
>>68154952
>>68155085

Go watch improv comedy. Better yet, join classes and get into it yourself. It's a lot of fun, and it's a completely different experience to regular stand-up/observational comedy.
>>
>>68155120
he should hang himself for his hypocrisy.
He's ovbiously a low test cowardly liberal but won't criticise subhuman muslims who are the very opposite of liberal and believes in "islamaphobia". Truly a cancerous human being.
>>
>>68155236
>t. Daily Mail reader
>>
>>68155214
Improv is almost always terrible though. I guess the thing I look for is conversational primarily, not just improvisational.

>>68155236
He's hardly some Carlinesque rant comic.
>>
>>68155299
No I don't read the daily mail I just think liberals like you are cowardly, pathetic, stupid and should be lined up against a wall and shot.
>>
Why are stand-up comedians not funny?
>>
File: 1393874127443.jpg (10 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1393874127443.jpg
10 KB, 375x375
>>68155417
Well when you put it like that
>>
>>68154904
i think it's more to do with how referencial his work is, and his attention to structure and the twists and turns he takes. it's not the type of stuff comedians do, as most comedians simply tell straight jokes and maybe make explicit call backs.
it's actually influenced the way i view comedy in general by bringing to my attention the limit at which something can be funny or not funny, which i think is not something that anybody else really does even if they're being edgy as fuck
>>
>>68154348
He actually is my favorite. He probably not the funniest but he's the end. He's the character you have to unlock after finishing a game
>>
>>68155470
you are such a funny man my friend and I am such a stupid bigot XD. Go write about how you shut down a mean man on reddit and leave this place pls.
>>
>>68155236
Go to bed Rod
>>
>>68155603
ha ha ha so funny lol I am le rod indeed.Disagree with anon and you are a rod XD
>>
>>68155565
Calm down dude it was just a social experiment
>>
>>68155565
I don't know why you keep assuming you're talking to liberals. You have to be a liberal to find a liberal funny? You're a child.
>>
he does the "haha the plebs aren't laughing they must have been brought here by friends. oh over there they're laughing that's where the fans are" bit too often.
and the "make a noise for 5 minutes XD" bit was only good when he did the women who worked as prostitutes routine.
>>
>>68155664
Don't make me smug_anime_face.jpeg you son. I'll do it
>>
>>68155214
I might be one of the few people that genuinely loves good improv.
Who's line is one of my favourite series. Colin, Ryan, and Wayne are brilliant together. That one episode where Robin Williams took over the show was amazing.
>>
>criticize blasphemy when Christianity does it
>refuse to condemn serial gangrape when Islam does it
Brits deserve to go extinct desu
>>
>>68155717
ok that doesn't mean anything but nice attempt at humour
>>68155741
What I'm assuming is I said something that triggered a very pathetic human being and he attempted to put the mean bigot in his place XD. Why else would someone take issue with what I said?
>>68155774
I have all day my friend. Go ahead, make my day punk
>>
>>68155864
It's not humour, it's friendly advice. There is nothing funny about your irrational, easily provoked rage
>>
He's funny, but, as you've just demonstrated, OP, his fans are some of the most insufferable cunts alive.
>>
>>68155864
>I'm 16 and know better
The post
>>
>>68156043
I'd shave a year or two off the estimate but yeah
>>
He truly is the best stand up out there. Wonderful moments of insight during his shows.

"In my experience the last taboo in stand-up is a man trying to do something sincerely and well"
>>
File: pepe.png (204 KB, 3952x4200) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
204 KB, 3952x4200
>>68155993
But I am not angry my friend. oh contraire I am having the time of my life right now
>>68156043
>>68156095
18 actually sorry to disappoint you. I know liberals are under the impression anyone who doesnt agree with them is a le child but its the opposite in actuality.
>>
Coming from a Stew fan of many years; that latest series was absolute shit.
>>
>>68154412
Yeah, I've never really been disappointed by him before. This was kind of disappointing, even though it was mostly pretty good and sometimes genius.
>>
>>68154348
>repeat things over and over and over again
>say things that sound vaguely smart

LOL SO FUNNY

SMART COMEDY FOR SMART PEOPLE

CLAP CLAP CLAP
>>
>>68156237
>le
>XD
>kill everyone who likes this comedian
>I'm not retarded edgy I'm just pretending
Got anything else?
>>
>>68156319
this tbqh
>>
>>68156043
smug assholes come at all ages, anon
>>
>>68156334
While i am exaggerating slightly like most on 4chan I am not pretending here.
>>
>this fucking thread started as an actual discussion
>anons kept replying to a guy even after he outed himself as trying to derail the thread
>>
>>68156263
I think he knew it was shit. The Chris Morris interviews are done in post, and they're always bleak but normally Stew has some fun with it.

He was mostly coasting this season, and for once wasn't as clever as his shtick requires him to be.
>>
>>68156388
>poster counter didn't increase
C'mon, it's ok, you're anonymous here.
>>
>>68156442
I'm not trying to derail it sorry about that. Blame all the libcucks giving me (you)s and presumably seething in rage right now.
>>
>>68154348
literal cuck comic
>>
>>68155414
>Improv is almost always terrible though. I guess the thing I look for is conversational primarily, not just improvisational.

You must have been to some bad improv.

Generally they get suggestions from the audience and work with it, often it's a back-and-forth. You're taught to deal with this kind of thing in improv classes, so feel free to shout something out (without being obnoxious).

Rarely do they get antagonistic audiences (since people usually pay and are there to have fun), but it occasionally goes sour when someone is incredibly nervous and not funny. Pity is far worse than hostility in improv.

But 95% of the time, it works out all right.

Go to an improv night, be tolerant of the newbies, and shoot ideas at them. They go on to the stage with NO ideas, so the conversational aspect is important. Take part and even go up on stage if you're willing.
>>
>>68156510
Hey anon can I borrow you for a few hours on Thursday? I'm doing a viewing of one of my favourite films for a small group and my projector just broke.
>>
>>68156755
lol
>>
>>68156755
LOL you should post that on r/jokers.Nice rebuttal there you sure showed me!
>>68156818
lol isn't acceptable to say anymore
>>
>>68156939
lol
>>
>>68156963
kys
>>
So that guy leaving and the Animal Planet guy last series were plants, right?

Too much of the 29 minutes hinges on them that it can't be spontaneous or edited.
>>
someone gimme a few youtube links of his best routines or the ones hes most known about.
>>
>>68157095

Do you live in the UK? Have you ever lived in the UK?

It doesn't massively affect his comedy, but it might decide what I link you to in order to get a sense of his style.
>>
>>68157095
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd4FfNpYxF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVPYFsTlp4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzua6wHw-tw

>>68157235
Eh, I think anyone with a basic ability to grasp context clues can understand pretty much all of his bits.
>>
>>68157287
>Eh, I think anyone with a basic ability to grasp context clues can understand pretty much all of his bits.

That's true and he points that out from time to time, especially with the London-centric material.

But even if he generally respects the audience's intelligence and ability to figure things out, there are some jokes that would not make sense to a non-UK audience because they aren't exposed to our culture. Even if you figure out that X must be a UK comedian or Y must be a UK high street shop, it's not going to be as funny, even if the joke itself isn't referential or observational humour.
>>
"A sneering tosser"
>>
>>68157437
I think everything he talks about has an analog in America culture and I presume elsewhere as well.
>>
Smug elitist liberalism. Who is this cunt?
>>
>>68157551

The main thrust of lampooning observational comedians is universal, but the specific references will be lost on American audiences.

You could say he's just as bad as the observational comedians he's parodying, but that's OK because it's on purpose innit.
>>
>>68156755
ayyyy would hang with, would take any verbal jabs
>>
>>68155755
Yeah he's still trying to find another way to do the sound thing again. But the prostitutes gravestone routine was the best use of it. I think he'll be able to find a way to use it again.
>>
All liberals should please leave 4chan. You will be much happier at reddit. You can discuss your interracial cuck comedian all you like.

This is not a joke. Please go.
>>
>>68158375
>not realizing all the /pol/ shit is ironic

What did you even do before /pol/ or /new/ were created?

Oh that's right, you weren't here.
>>
All "conservatives" should please leave 4chan. You will be much happier at reddit. You can discuss your interracial cuck fixation all you like.

This is not a joke. Please go.
>>
>>68158550
So new you dont even know how to reply?

Please leave.
>>
>cut of his shirt below the point of his shoulder
>sleeves so long they billow up
>length is barely enough to cover his belly

Can't he get clothes tailored? Us common folk have to deal with clothes from Primark or Sainsbury's, and he does this? Is it part of the joke?
>>
>>68158521
I doesn't matter what I did before pol was here. It is here now. That is what matters. This is not the place for you.
>>
>>68158696
>So new you dont even know how to reply?
>Please leave.
dude....

So new you don't even know how to reply?

Please leave.
>>
>>68159660
am i banned?
>>
>>68155603
he's got a bit of scotch egg on his lapel
>>
>>68159730
i don't know brah, check
>>
>>68158375
But it is a joke mate, like on top gear
>>
I would just like to inform the people of this thread that i posted a webm of a snake (representing me) crushing a lil pupper (representing liberals) to death along with the txt "fuck off liberals" and i didn't even get banned or temporarily muted. Looks like someone up there likes me :)
>>
I would just like to inform the people of this thread that i posted a webm of a snake (representing me ) crushing a lil pupper (representing my edgelord desire to trigger people) to death along with the txt "fuck off strawman projection" and i didn't even get banned or temporarily muted. Looks like no one up there gives a fuck :)
>>
>>68160256
no one gives a fuck except you I guess :)
>>
>>68160297
always goes both ways mon ami
>>
>>68160530
ok stop respopnding to me now I've already won
>>
>>68160563
whoa wait anon, i wasn't aware there was something to win here
>>
>>68160820
yes I believe I have won the respect of my fellow anons while they are laughing at your liberal stupidity. Its time to stop posting
>>
File: 1368909115501.jpg (40 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1368909115501.jpg
40 KB, 400x388
>tfw you saw him testing out the material from the last episode in Edinburgh last summer
>tfw he almost did material from one of the worse episodes
>>
>>68160923
I'm going to rape you until you're sputtering on the ground in a crumpled heap, crying begging for mercy. That mercy shall be you eating the shit from my unwashed ass.
>>
>>68158696
Fuck man you take 4chin seriously
>>
>>68157811
Those references make watching it even more self aware and formalist from an American pov, I wind up enjoying the jokes structurally. Though a lot of the broader ones you get the gist of and have American analogs for.
>>
File: cuck nu male.png (34 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
cuck nu male.png
34 KB, 1152x648
>>68161084
Take a chill pill mate
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.