[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where's the best place to start with Kurosawa? Everybody
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: Akira-Kurosawa.jpg (149 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
Akira-Kurosawa.jpg
149 KB, 1200x675
Where's the best place to start with Kurosawa?

Everybody goes on about him, but the whole samurai movie thing has been putting me off him. I know he does stuff not based on samurais, but just giving me the best jumping off point.
>>
I dunno dude just look through his filmography and see which one has the best premise. I did that and got Ran and Kagemusha
>>
>>68122643
Ikiru is his best
>>
>>68122643
High and Low is his best non samurai movie. Best samurai flick is probably Rashomon.
>>
Watch Rashomon first to get yourself warmed up, then Seven Samurai.
If you're a pleb and don't like old movies then watch some of his kater stuff like Ran first I guess
>>
>>68122815
later*
>>
>>68122815
>>68122682
op said he DOESN'T want samurai shit tho

best non samurai is thist>>68122761
>>
>>68122989
didn't tell him to watch Ran and Kagemusha (although he should) I said check his filmography
>>
>>68122989
OP here. I meant I have been putting him off, because of his whole samurai stuff, but I'll give it a chance, because eveybody goes on about it. I'm sure once I give the samurai a go, I'll enjoy it. If he's a good film maker I'll enjoy whatever he's shoved into his films.

From reading the descriptions of his films I am more drawn towards his non-samurai films. I think I'm going to start with Ikiru. Sounds interesting, unless somebody can sway me another way.
>>
File: dreams.jpg (194 KB, 1158x700) Image search: [Google]
dreams.jpg
194 KB, 1158x700
>>68122643

masterpiece
>>
>>68122643
just watch Seven Samurai like the rest of the world - it has the first use of slow motion in film ever.
>>
>>68123286
Yes boss
>>
Watch High and Low
Avoid Rashomon
>>
File: werner_herzog_dpa-532x360.jpg (39 KB, 532x360) Image search: [Google]
werner_herzog_dpa-532x360.jpg
39 KB, 532x360
>>68123602
>Avoid Rashomon
>>
just watch yojimbo you fucking pussy
>>
why would u bother to watch anything asians made before they figured anime out
>>
>>68123209
His worst film.
>>
>>68123720
your kung-fu is weak
>>
>>68123175
Ikiru is fantastic, if a bit slow on occasions. For non-samurai films i would also suggest, as others have "High and Low", as well as The Bad Sleep Well, Drunken Angel and Stray Dog.
>>
File: Tart n Sawa.jpg (360 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
Tart n Sawa.jpg
360 KB, 500x700
>>68122643
High and Low's a good reccomendation

I'd also suggest Ikiru, but be warned

you're gonna be sad
>>
File: Lady Asaji.jpg (91 KB, 500x676) Image search: [Google]
Lady Asaji.jpg
91 KB, 500x676
>>68122643
Throne of Blood is his darkest film and my personal favorite so I'd recommend that. Seven Samurai is also a masterpiece. The rest of his movies, while great, aren't on the same level as those two for me.
>>
>>68122761
>>68122815
Rashomon is moronic. Yes, we get it, people lie and witness testimony is never certain. Did we really need that beaten into our head for the entire fucking running time?

One of the most overrated flicks in film history.
>>
>>68124387
Yeah, while it was a good idea for a movie, it could have been handled better. A few of Kurosawa's movies are overrated. Ikiru had a shit ending, from what I recall (should have ended with his death rather than going on for another 15 minutes after while people reminisce). Ran had that annoying Jester character and I get that this is sort of the point, that he pesters and torments King Lear, but he's still rather obnoxious for the people in the audience. The whole story of Yojimbo was just handled better in Fistful of Dollars in my opinion even if that was just an unofficial remake. One movie of his that I actually think is underrated is Kagemusha even if Kurosawa himself didn't care much for it.
>>
>>68122643
if you're looking for something fun that wound up being really important and influential, Yojimbo

also Hidden Fortress
>>
File: dingusalert.gif (320 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
dingusalert.gif
320 KB, 300x169
>>68124387
its not about that though, its far more fundamental

the movie is about the subjectivity of Truth itself

reality, all that is, is merely what we perceive and make of it. Rashomon is one of the best explorations of the nature of Truth ever put to sceen
>>
>>68122643
Rashomon
>>
>>68124531
>The whole story of Yojimbo was just handled better in Fistful of Dollars
Fucking pleb
>>
>>68124387
Listen to>>68124927
The film isn't just about relativism its an examination into why relativism is a thing. If you get caught up in the "mystery" you have missed the point completely
>>
As it's been said, High and Low is his best non samurai movie. You might also wanna check The Bad Sleep Well.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.