[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can a Cucknisher fan (a fan of The Punisher) explain how 3 different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11
File: punisher actors.jpg (66 KB, 556x400) Image search: [Google]
punisher actors.jpg
66 KB, 556x400
Can a Cucknisher fan (a fan of The Punisher) explain how 3 different directors couldn't make a single good movie of The Punisher?

What is fundamentally wrong with your favorite character or what is it that the movies just can't deliver?
>>
>>68085209
Did you go watch the Daredevil tv series like we told you to do last time you autistic fucker?
>>
Tom Jane is incredibly handsome.
>>
>>68085261
word
>>
Frank is only unique in the comic book medium, not so much on film. Also a lot of his introspection won't work in a movie. I'm surprised he was decent in Daredevil.
>>
>>68085209
Why do you keep posting this you fucking retard?

>>67899388
>>
The middle punisher was great.
>>
For the most part, a hero is made great by the strength of the villain; Batman and Joker, Professor X and Magneto.

A compelling villain will require a hero to rise above limitations and resolve a burden or overcome an obstacle. These villians themselves will have great backstories and will have the skills or powers to be an actual threat to the hero.

That said, The Punisher spent decades depicting him as a one many army, at the absolute peak of human strength, fortitude, resolve, training, military background, tactical intuition, you name it. His very character was designed to recognize a threat and eliminate it. He is a goddamned Terminator in human form.

Now look at his villains. Jigsaw? Random mafia boss? Howard Saint? Not so much compelling or timeless.

Punisher is best used or depicted in a cameo format. Multi-character epic battle scene, Punisher rolls in, wastes dozens of baddies, peaces out like a boss.

He keeps killing all his villains, not really letting any of them get the longevity to be a threat to him.

As anon said earlier, there is an introspection that can play out in comic form that can't so much in theatrical form.
>>
>>68085209
2004 one was awesome. I'm not sure why critics didn't like it. It shows the story in a simple way (just like Marvel fans like it), it follows Frank's transformation, his crysis, the temptation to integrate into normal human life with two losers and an obligatory hottie who is also a shapeshifting mutant.
>>
>>68085209

>Cucknisher

A whole new level of cringe
>>
>>68085761
Almost every complaint I've seen is either about it being an origin story or about Travolta being a shit actor.
>>
>>68085209
Good Punisher? Right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLz8GMZHmqc
>>
>>68085261
This might be the problem, none of these actors look menacing enough to pull off a Frank.
>>
>>68087755
>That bloody skull on his chest

Absolute kino.
>>
>>68085209

>generic vengance plot
>trying to make him likable
>he's batman without his one rule

See you can't make a Punisher movie that's based on Ennis' version which is arguably the best. The Punisher isn't really the most likable guy when you know what drives him.

The Tom Jane movie had one realy great scene with the fight between him and the russian. It's on point and tells you more about The Punisher than you can get from "my family was killed out of vengance and now I will take vengance". The whole premise is fucked when you make him be out for vengance. That's not what Punisher is aout.

The Lexi Alexander version was kind of better in terms of his motivation but it had some moments that just don't fit.
The scene on the front porch where the wife and him got dialogue. When he finds that latino guy in his hideout and makes a scene.

In the end you'd have to adapt the BORN series just to get people into his head. Or at least have some exposition through flash backs etc.

The Jon Bernthal performance was good. Sometimes too much shouting.
>>
>>68087788
Fuck off. Thomas Jane was the perfect punisher.
>>
>>68088209
Maybe the last 7 minutes.

Does framing a mob bosses wife into looking like she's cheating with the expectation that the mob boss will kill his wife and the man sound like how the Punisher operates?
>>
Was the middle Punisher movie suppose to be a comedy? Good God it was horrible. Why the fuck was he in Florida?
>>
>>68088252
Clearly the film took some liberties but considering the medium they made the best with what they got. They had to tone down the violence to keep it classy (remember, money talks, and the average adult isn't gonna watch a blood fest for the sake of it, that's kid's stuff), and they had to structurize the plot in a way that works for a movie.

It's certainly a better movie than that piece of shit Warzone.
>>
>>68088285
It was cheaper to film in Tampa bay.
>>
>>68088252
I don't know, I don't read comics.

I thought it was an excellent revenge plot meant to utterly destroy a man, instead of just shooting him. It gave the movie a more fleshed out story.
>>
>>68088152
"Silent badasses" don't work in live action. You need dialogue or your character won't connect with audiences. Giving The Punisher plenty of dialogue is fine, it's the only non-cringeworthy way of giving exposition to his character. Voiceovers are bad.
>>
>>68088364

>DON'T YOU DIE ON ME!!!
>former gangbanger

really? that coming from the punisher is cringey as fuck.
>>
>>68088364
>"Silent badasses" don't work in live action.
Seemed to work fine in Drive mr. first year film student.
>>
What's the general opinion on Daredevil S2? Personally everything except Punisher/Kingpin focused episodes sucked, especially Elektra scenes. The episode with Kingpin in jail was awesome.
>>
>>68088444

After the first 2 episodes I skipped everything that wasn't punisher.
>>
>>68088444
Punisher is definitely the best part of S2. I know its suppose to be a struggle but I don't like that Daredevil literally abandons his lawyer persona when they needed him most. Also he's quite the manwhore flirting heavily with Elektra despite claiming he has a girlfriend. His no kill policy gets rather annoying too now that we have characters who actually take care of scum in a way that they're not back to raping and drug trafficking 2 weeks later.
>>
>>68088322
but warzone was fun
>>
Want something to break your heart? Look what Jane actually wanted to the movie to be like.

>https://youtu.be/bWpK0wsnitc

Side note, I loved a lot about War Zone. It clearly shouldnt have been so cartoonish though. Ray Stevenson looks perfect as Frank.
>>
>>68089884
God this would've been fucking GOAT
>>
>>68085209
Because the punisher himself is a shitty character.
>>
How does tv hate 2004? It was awesome and pulpish. No one gives any reason for the hate.
>>
>>68090475
Same people that think The Transporter was a bad movie. People do not know what rewarding cinema is with incredible visual design and capture.
>>
File: image.gif (3 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3 MB, 300x200
By the way, wouldn't Snyder make a great punisher?
>>
I can't imagine a Punisher series, especially given that most f the material will be from Ennis who stripped the character to pure essentials.
>>
>>68085209

Punisher War Zone is actually fucking great

Tom Jane was the best Movie Frank

Bernthal's genius as Punisher renders all the films irrelevant now though
>>
>>68087755

>tfw it goes back to ninja magic halfway through and I stop giving a fuck about it
>>
>>68088152
>you'd have to adapt the BORN series

but anon punisher born is a pile of shit
>>
>>68090997
He already did.
>>
>>68088209
He wasn't even the punisher. Just a cop who happened to have a t-shirt with a skull.
Best movie Punisher was Stevenson by far.
>>
>>68090475
It was a decent revenge-action movie, not a Punisher movie.
>>
File: purge_anarchy_ver3.jpg (111 KB, 509x755) Image search: [Google]
purge_anarchy_ver3.jpg
111 KB, 509x755
>>68085209
Best Punisher
>>
>>68088152
Born is crap.
>>
>>68092249
>never even put that together

He wouldn't have been bad at all...only problem is he was already in Winter Soldier.
>>
File: charles bronson.jpg (16 KB, 309x337) Image search: [Google]
charles bronson.jpg
16 KB, 309x337
Death Wish movies are everything Punisher movies should be about.
>>
>>68092412
Which is a damn shame because he would've been a great Punisher.
>>
File: Sights on top.jpg (107 KB, 614x461) Image search: [Google]
Sights on top.jpg
107 KB, 614x461
>>68088152
>See you can't make a Punisher movie that's based on Ennis' version which is the best.

FTFY
>>
>>68093042
Yeah. Bright side, his character Crossbones isn't dead so we'll likely see him again at some point.
>>
File: drive shotgun.jpg (100 KB, 432x432) Image search: [Google]
drive shotgun.jpg
100 KB, 432x432
>>68088420
>you will never see a Nicolas Winding Refn directed Punisher film

Feels bad.
>>
File: 1417214594456.jpg (50 KB, 606x540) Image search: [Google]
1417214594456.jpg
50 KB, 606x540
>>68093398
>A good director doesn't do capeshit
>this is a bad thing
>>
>>68093264
Never knew the Punisher was a racist.
>>
>>68093907

>Never knew the Punisher was a racist.

He's not a racist, he's just got a thing for killing entrepreneurial ethnic minorities.
>>
>>68093907
How's that racist? Not that there's anything wrong with being a racist. I mean, you're not intolerant, are you?
>>
>>68093907
>racist

Most of the crime is done by blacks especially in NYC he is telling it how it is.
>>
>>68093907
That's literally not racist. He's mocking them for sacrificing combat efficiency to look cool.
>>
>>68085209
All three of those movies are great, you fucking pleb
>>
File: you.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
>>68093907
>>
>>68085289
Except not really, the story of a serial killer who happens to pick off criminals and is incredibly efficient by means of guerrilla tactics hasn't really been done right on film. You had Dexter on TV but it was full of retarded shit.
Whenever you have a revenge story, even in these punisher movies, you get the main character killing his aggressors and that being the end of that. They might continue on but you never get to see it.
>>
How are the comics even structured? Does he kill a new gang boss each issue? Do they revolve around this jigsaw character or what? Do the comics have an overarching plot or are they just one-shots of the punisher going around murdering a bunch of hoodlums?
>>
File: LEXI-ALEXANDERfeature.jpg (53 KB, 633x356) Image search: [Google]
LEXI-ALEXANDERfeature.jpg
53 KB, 633x356
So here's an intedazting interview with the director of Punisher War Zone, why a shitty script can mess up your movie and why just stealing comics shot for shot isn't enough to make for compelling film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl7Gj_01xu8
>>
>>68093907
He isn't, he murders niggas and fat wops and the irish.
>>
>>68088322
War zone is the best punisher and it's not even close
>>
>>68096134
Punisher comics have been in continuous publication for decades so it's a mix. Usually it works in arcs so a single story will be serialized over several issues. Subject matter also varies greatly from serious to comedic to incredibly strange. Sometimes he's hunting a person an issue, sometimes he's dealing with one person for several, sometimes he's black, sometimes he's an angel of death on a mission from God. One time Wolverine's son killed him and Morbius the Living Vampire resurrected him as a Frankenstein.
>>
>>68096167
And Asians, as well as white supremacists.
>>
>>68096220
Which is depressing because that movie was pure shit.
>>
>>68085251
this. the best depiction of the Punisher so far.
>>
>>68094930
What's that guys name again?
>>
File: 1458973656689.jpg (92 KB, 580x649) Image search: [Google]
1458973656689.jpg
92 KB, 580x649
>>68094930
>>
File: 1439843437858.png (384 KB, 780x720) Image search: [Google]
1439843437858.png
384 KB, 780x720
>>68085209
>cucknisher
here's your reply
>>
>>68096300
Interesting. Thanks for sharing, anon.
>>
>>68085209
I rewatched the one with Jane recently and although it was really corny it was fun, i like the shakespearean approach they went with.
>>
>>68088444
>>68088504
Yeah they should just do a punisher spinoff with kingpin. They really steal the show. The show is supposed to be about daredevil but there's no point if you don't give a shit about the protagonist
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.