[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did this film not do better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Picked this up at Redbox and watched it last night, and honestly I enjoyed it quite a bit. It wasn't the best movie ever by any means, but I still thought it was an enjoyable look at a nearly extinct industry that was necessary at the time. How did it not do well at the box office? My theory is the SJW landwhales were pissed off about whaling and seeing their ancestors harpooned to be used for oil. How many more good films will be crushed at the hands of the "muh feelies" groups trying to pussify the entire world?
>>
>set around a historical shipwreck in 1820
>from the director of a beautiful mind and frost/nixon
>from the screenwriter who wrote K-PAX and blood diamond
ok now ignoring anything about the movie, calculate the target demographic based on those facts. probably educated males in their mid twenties to fifties, especially given the naval focus of the film
>lead role is Chris Hemsworth
congratulations you just gutted your target demographic.
>>
>>68079531
the script was literally laughable. Didn't make it half way through
>>
>>68079716
Hemsworth was the one who got Howard involved in the first place.
>>
I saw it in theaters. Thought it was pretty good too. The whale looked pretty shitty, though.
>>
>make a Moby Dick movie
>take out all the good shit

Yeah, what went wrong fâm?
>>
>>68081502
Hemsworth is also eye candy. Gay men aside, the other 98% of the targeted demographic for a film like this would be dissuaded.
>>
Chris Hemsworth is box office cancer, stick to capeshit faggot

also the movie had the worst use of CGI in a long time
>>
>>68079531
>How did it not do well at the box office? My theory is the SJW

No. This had nothing to do with SJWs or memelords or baneposting or any other made up bullshit.

There was essentially no marketing for this movie. I've seen more trailers for Meet the Blacks than for this.

When you don't advertise and, as a last-ditch effort, try to find success simply by having Thor as your lead, you're fucked.
>>
>>68081784
this was supposed to be released in March but they pushed it to December because they thought it would win awards

kek
>>
>>68081642
>worst use of CGI in a long time

Maybe if you watched a camrip on your phone sure.
>>
They butchered the real story, which was dramatic and action filled and tragic without screenwriters fucking it up
>>
>>68081784
>I've seen more trailers for Meet the Blacks than for this.
What kind of movies do you watch? I saw the trailer for this at least 20 times over the course of a year.

I went to see it and thought it was pretty boring. Ron Howard has become incapable of making a movie about history that doesn't have a lot of screentime devoted to explaining why anyone should care. Happened in this(it was the basis for Moby Dick!) Frost/Nixon (this brought closure to America!) and Speed (this was one of the most epic rivalries of all time!).

It wasn't a terrible movie, aside from that. It was just a drag because half of it is watching people starve to death.

It flopped though because Chris Hemsworth can't open a movie when he's not playing Thor.
>>
Wasn't it supposed to be realeased like a year ago but got delayed and was released with Star wars and Hateful Eight?
>>
>>68082200
Yeah the studio dumped it.
>>
obviously movies without diversity won't do well in america anymore
>>
Watched the other night. You can tell hemsworth was trying the "sexy dumb guy into decent actor" move that tatum has been at the past year or two
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.