[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we all agree now that Kung Fu Panda is the Best Animation Trilogy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8
File: po.jpg (41 KB, 660x350) Image search: [Google]
po.jpg
41 KB, 660x350
Can we all agree now that Kung Fu Panda is the Best Animation Trilogy?
>>
>>68068303
>Trilogy

since when
>>
no its garbage
>>
>>68068303
Pretty much.
>>
I like how the series goes full circle.
>>
>>68068303
Only because the third HTTYD movie isn't out yet.
>>
That chit chat bullshit in the final battle ruined the movie for me. I hate quips so much.
>>
>>68068303
Its beatifully made and as far as I can tell, also sincerely made. Unlike say the Ice Age franchise. The third movie is probably too short and could do with another 15 mins expanding on the motives of Po's biological father.
>>
>>68071615
>I hate quips so much
don't watch Kung Fu Panda
>>
reminder that THERE ARE 3 MORE MOVIES
>>
>>68070460
Is there going to be a third one?
>>
First one was pretty awesome.

Second one was slightly better.

Third one was at best average. It also didn't feel right at parts. Weakest villain by far as well.
>>
2 > 3 > 1

These movies are comfy-core.
>>
>>68070460
This desu senpai
>>
>>68072646
Yes in 2018, supposedly it will explain why all thr dragons went away ;_;
>>
I have a general problem with the idea that a fat panda with zero training can magically be better than tigers and others that have trained their whole life

It's a disturbingly fucked up moral to the story
>>
File: image.jpg (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
8 KB, 250x250
>>68071615
did you really fucking expect a serious film called Kung Fu Panda?
>>
>>68074019
It really isn't if you've ever read 2 lines of zen/buddhist philosophy.
>>
That's not Toy Story
>>
never saw it. what's the appeal?
>>
>>68074087
why are delusional asian thoughts supposed to change his mind about someone suddenly being a master at martial arts
>>
>>68068303
GOAT animation. All 3 are excellent movies.

I normally hate the guy who does the panda, but he's god for this.

Visuals and design are really unique and creative. Deserves more praise.
>>
2 was the more superior one of all three movies, it had the right amountc of humor, action and serious plot in it.

Best villian and that inner peace part was one of the best scenes in the trilogy, the flashback made me tear up.

3 was pretty good but it didn't have grounded plot as 2 did, 3 felt like fan service. BUT the fight sequences and cinematography in 3 was on so fucking amazing.
>>
File: shen.jpg (17 KB, 345x146) Image search: [Google]
shen.jpg
17 KB, 345x146
>>68068303
The second film is genuinely fantastic. Fucking incredible score, excellent villain, looks great, funny. This scene had people crying when I watched it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqjIkkwMlnw
>>
>>68074211
An animated comedy movie that feels like the old comfy kung fu movies back in the day.

Villain in 2 is perfect.
>>
>>68074087
it's still a horrible fucking message to give to kids

>hurr you can be fat and lazy and still do better than the kids that are doing sports 4 times a week or studying in the library all week
>get fat american children so the chinese can beat us
>>
File: 1456018597639.jpg (41 KB, 749x512) Image search: [Google]
1456018597639.jpg
41 KB, 749x512
>>68072371
>>68074055

There's lots of animated movies that know when to keep humor and drama fucking separate. It doesn't mean you have to have one or the other. Dreamworks even did it with Shrek and Dragon movies. Pixar does it all the fucking time. But keep defending your gay ass quips you fags.
>>
>>68074718
Honestly the second was the best for this, when it needed to be serious it was serious when it didn't need to be serious it had some really funny moments (a few eye rollers but for me the laughs outweighed the bits that I didn't find funny). Honestly the second film is truly great and I think it is far superior to the first.
>>
>>68074646
how dare they encourage kids to believe in themselves.
>>
>>68074646
>it's still a horrible fucking message to give to kids
You're kind of glossing over the fact that Po did train and genuinely try to better himself, yeah it is unbelievable that he'd beat Tai Lung but he did train before hand.
>>
>>68074646
I don't think any kid's getting that message. That sound more like the take of a bitter adult who sees himself as a failure and can't deal with the fact that changing your life is pretty much a matter of motivation, which they can't find anywhere. Nice projection though.
>>
>>68074646
Po trained up to become a teacher in 3.

I think it's like Narutos Rock Lee who gets better but without having the natural talent at the start like Tigress or Monkey have.
>>
>>68070460
Fuck you and that overrated piece of shit.
>>
>>68074646

I didn't get that message at all. In Chinese kung fu movies you always get these protagonists that have amazing talent but never realize it until they get to practice or something horrible happens to them and they have to man up/get revenge. I figured it was something like that. Po was always an idiot savant at kung fu.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 347x433) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 347x433
>>68074646
>so the Chinese can beat us
>>
>>68074959
I think Po always had amazing talent. That's why he always masters something at the end of every movie and makes Dustin Hoffman look like a tool.
>>
>>68074590
THIS
H
I
S
For me the Trilogy is : 2> 1 > 3
>>
>>68075069
Yeah I'd rate them. 7.5/10, 8.5/10, 6/10. Honestly they are all decent and worth a watch but 1 and 2 are definitely where it's at.
>>
Literally Gary Stu: The Animated Trilogy
>>
>>68075204
I would say less so in the first and second (especially the second), he shows struggle in those films definitely but the third was just silly in that regard, he showed struggle for such a short time in the third it just didn't even matter.
>>
>>68072410
Fuck this, where the hell can they go now with Po, if they did spin off films in the world then fine but it doesn't seem like they are going to do that.
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 554x436) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 554x436
>>68075204
>an animated children's flick doesn't have serious character development

gee, who knew?
>>
>>68075390
The second one actually does though... They got told to dial it down because it got too dark, it's why the second film is so much better than the third (and first).
>>
>>68070460
I dunno, HTTYD2 was good up until the weird 'evolution' mode at the end that turned it into fucking pokemon or something. I mean, it always had overtones of that but the minute they start dueling dragons and shifting them into new forms through 'emotional bonds' is where I just groan.

Hope the 3rd ignores that and just focuses more on Hiccup becoming the warchief.
>>
>>68070460
I love the first one more than any of the Panda movies, but the 2nd one was like 7/10 at best. It was just way more generic, and had little of what I loved about the first one.
>>
>>68074718
Never got this. How is liking more kinds of food weak?
>>
>>68075204
After 2, I would have shook my head at that. After 3, I agree. Po does not go through nearly enough training, growth, or development to warrant the superpowers he achieves. I feel like everyone was onboard with this plotline, as cliched as the 'chosen one' is, because it seemed like Po would be playing to his strengths as a martial artist. A lot of his villains are driven by ego, and he seems to have none, which is a good contrast.

Two is great in that Po is pretty much getting his ass kicked left and right, despite showing clear improvement in his technique over the first movie. He only succeeds by mastering a redirection technique to utilize Shen's own strengths against him. That's basically also how he defeated Tai Lung, in a less literal sense.

Three almost entirely ignored that and just made him straight-up better than everyone else at martial arts, and even spirituality. He trumps Kai by overflowing him with power - which I guess you can kind of defend since Kai never 'absorbed' any chi and was borrowing all of his - but I felt I was under the impression that Po was just using everyone else's Chi and acted as a conduit. Actual movie says "No, he just mastered chi in like two seconds". It feels so unearned; it would have been way better if all his energy was just coming from the pandas he created a connection to, because Po has always been a champion of the people. Three should have been about that, since it would have been a great contrast to Kai's 'souless' army of slaves.
>>
>>68076922

same reason women gravitate towards fruity alcohol instead of hard liquor. certain kinds of people enjoy certain kinds of food more, and only giant cuck pussies enjoy pineapple on a pizza
>>
>>68077024
>Two is great in that Po is pretty much getting his ass kicked left and right
Yeah you can't really call him a Garu Stu when he nearly dies.
>>
>>68077116
The near-death works because it forces Po to change his tactics from head-on assault to team tactics - and even THOSE still fail against his cannons. It's actual adversity promoting tactical thinking, instead of the usual "maybe I'll just TRY HARDER!".
>>
>>68077199
The scene where he's forced to confront his past is actually beautiful as well, damn this film is honestly so underrated desu.
>>
3 was really fucking shit.

It's like they came up with the Po story first and then added the villain.

The po story shouldn't have existed at all.

2 was GOAT and perfected nearly every aspect.
>>
>>68077373
>2 was GOAT and perfected nearly every aspect.

Honestly the only major issue I had with it was that final scene setting up the third film, it could have been such a bitter sweet ending but they decided to play it a little bit safer (probably to cover themselves, hey look they aren't all dead). But yeah it was GOAT in most other ways.
>>
>>68077672
Kung fu Panda 2 felt the most "Chinese" out of the 3. 3 had lots of Chinese mythologies tackled in but it wasn't executed really well.
>>
>>68077672
Did three kind of retroactively ruin that scene though? It establishes that Oogway tells Li to find his son so that he can learn chi, but Oogway had no real reason to do that. He didn't know Kai was even a threat at that point; he's surprised when Kai shows him the stolen chi, after all.

Either Oogway just decided now would be a good time to recunite them, or he read ahead in the script.
>>
>>68077748
It also had much better atmosphere, the use of the different animation styles throughout was genuinely something it doesn't get enough credit for.
>>
>>68077859
Kung fu Panda 3 did that technique to, it was a lot more flashy. I like the effect they did where you couldn't tell if it was animated or really oversatured lighting.
>>
>>68074986
Exactly, the Kung Fu Panda movies are Wuxia at their core.
>>
>>68077888
Yeah and honestly it was my favorite part of the third film. However I feel as if there was an added cleverness to using it to express memories and dreams rather than it just being a training montage in the third. I also loved how at the end of the scene where Po is learning about his past it goes back to 3D, as if it isn't this dream like thing for him anymore but truly part of his past.
>>
File: 1419112117427.jpg (17 KB, 355x397) Image search: [Google]
1419112117427.jpg
17 KB, 355x397
I think it's pretty funny the third moviei made the least amount of money even though it broke records in china.
>>
>>68077921
>Wuxia

that's something i never heard of.

thanks anon.
>>
>>68068303
Are you implying that Toy Story 3 is bad enough to invalidate the greatness of the first two? Kung Fu Panda is cute but Toy Story is classic.
>>
I wish 2 could be have a darker version
Po should have been permanently injured by the cannon ball
he should have been missing for months so that everyone thought he was truly gone
he should have "grown up" and was a broken serious man
>we'll never get a scene where he walks into a tavern all hooded and kicks some hyena ass and then he removes his cape and he has only one arm and instead of his cheeky smirk he's just straight up angry
it'd be a nice callback to the very same fantasy Po had in the first movie
>>
File: dragon warrior.jpg (113 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
dragon warrior.jpg
113 KB, 1000x563
>>68068303
yes
>>
>>68078218
if Po took months to recover, Shen would have conquered China by then.
>>
>>68078109
Honestly I'd say they are on the same level especially KFP". I really love both (except for their respective third films). I feel as if Kung Fu Panda doesn't get enough credit through a mixture of being a really dumb premise and being Dreamworks which has a bad track record.
>>
>>68078362
KFP2 not KFP"
>>
what's happening to the kung fu panda world outside china?

is africa filled with monkey niggers?
>>
>>68078218

well we got 3 more movies to explore that now
>>
Kai's theme was catchy as fuck.
>>
>>68075385

If I know my Chinese cliches, Po will be after immortality next.
>>
>>68074019
Zero training? Have you even seen the first movie? Theres a whole scene showing po training with shifu
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.