[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just watched Superman II - The Donner cut, and it was fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
Just watched Superman II - The Donner cut, and it was fucking awesome. Except for that absolute bullshit ending, holy shit.

Kinda wanna watch Superman III and IV now, though I now I probably shouldn't.
>>
>>68054715
Superman IV is the best one
>>
File: supermaniv-pillow.gif (945 KB, 500x214) Image search: [Google]
supermaniv-pillow.gif
945 KB, 500x214
>>68054780
I did always like Nuclear Man, but I don't know if I trust this statement.
>>
Why aren't more movies two-parters instead of trilogies? Seems like the perfect lenght and format, desu.
>>
movies never used to have to end with a giant head ache inducing spectacle like they have to now
>>
File: nuclearOOOH.jpg (33 KB, 333x232) Image search: [Google]
nuclearOOOH.jpg
33 KB, 333x232
>>68054904
Better than Snyder's clusterfuck.
>>
File: STOP.jpg (45 KB, 853x353) Image search: [Google]
STOP.jpg
45 KB, 853x353
>>68055211
I actually liked Man of Steel for the most part, and it really made me interested in the mythology of Superman.

That's about all the praise I'll give Snyder, really.
>>
watch 3, skip 4
>>
>>68054715

so how did the Donner cut end?
>>
>>68054715
Gayman: The Movie
>>
>>68056042
He turns back time. Again. They had originally intended to have that happen in II, not I, but it ended up being the ending to the first one when II's production got postponed. So they just used the ending for the director's cut anyway.

>Superman kills Zod like before
>He destroys the Fortress of Solitude and takes Lois back home
>Business as usual epilogue
>But suddenly: time's reversing
>Lois forgets that Clark is Superman and Zod and co. are back in the Phantom Zone
>Clark still goes to the diner to beat up the trucker
And that is the last scene.
>>
I'll always have a soft spot for Superman 3
>>
>>68056283
i really like superman 3. its a weird sitcom richard pryor thing and it still feels more like a superman movie
>>
>>68056283
>>68056322
Kinda making me want to watch this now.
>>
Supes III is great. The computer is kind of Brainiac too. And the fight between the split personalities is probably the best capeshit fight I've seen. The prior stuff is pretty out there, but hell it's fun. And the chemical plant - wow. Classic Superman saving people.
>>
Superman III is probably the best if it wasn't for the lame final fight. But it's the one who aged the best.
>>
Why is Superman such a cunt in this film?

>gives up his powers for no reason other than its a mild irritation
>instantly picks a fight with someone over nothing
>refuses to back down putting Lois in danger
>gains powers back, turns back time, uses his reaquired extreme strength advantage to abuse a guy as revenge for the outcome of a fight that he wasn't the initiator of and hasn't actually committed yet

If Superman did anything like this in the Snyder films y'all niggers would lose your minds.

To top it off kissing Lous's memory away is SLIGHTLY less retarded than turning time back again.

Reminder that Mario Puzo wrote 1&2 as a single 4 hour film and that he would have used the same deus ex machina twice in the same film.
>>
Superman IV was such a mess, the rights to the movie were bought by Golan and Globus, who pumped out shit movies, got Christopher Reeve to comeback on his condition that the plot be about ridding the world of nuclear weapons, and the special effects budget was reduced to HALF of what they needed, which is why the FX in IV look like complete shit, they reused a flying shot like 5 fucking times in the movie.

A sad fucking way for Reeve to end his run.
>>
>>68056534
All I remember is the woman turning into a robot, which terrified the fuck out of me as a kid, and in all my memory I always thought it was from the first movie until I watched it recently.

>>68056613
This, Superman is selfish as fuck in this movie. Makes the self-doubting Snyder version seem not that bad in hindsight.

>same dues ex machina twice
The original film was going to end on a cliffhanger with the missile freeing Zod. They weren't originally going to do time travel for its ending.
>>
>>68056608
I agree with this. 3 was my favourite. It wasn't as shit as the 4th, as chopped up as the 2nd (salkind or Donner both versions are choppy) or as overrated as the 1st
>>
>>68054715
The real capekino
>>
>>68056671
>All I remember is the woman turning into a robot, which terrified the fuck out of me as a kid, and in all my memory I always thought it was from the first movie until I watched it recently.

That scene is still scary as shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSsSwg9MXs
>>
>>68056671
I stand corrected on the originals ending. Odd they decided to put that ending back in the Donner cut when they already used it in the original.

But then Donner also crammed in a disclaimer in the credits apologising like a faggot for using fur coats and cigarettes in the film so I guess he's kind of a retard now.
>>
>>68056813
Yeah I paused at that and was like what the fuck?
>>
File: Superman2AmericanWay.jpg (89 KB, 800x343) Image search: [Google]
Superman2AmericanWay.jpg
89 KB, 800x343
>>68056613
I honestly forgot the memory-erasing kiss. That's pretty stupid and convenient. I almost prefer turning back time. I just miss that scene of Superman returning the flag to the White House and apologizing to the president. It showed him taking responsibility for his selfishness the whole movie and it paralleled the last scene in the first movie.

Ideal edit would be Donner's version without the time-reversal and without the kiss, keep Lois's memory and have patriotic Superman ending.
>>
File: BlowKiss.jpg (19 KB, 302x315) Image search: [Google]
BlowKiss.jpg
19 KB, 302x315
>They need machines to fly!
Bitch, you just learned to fly an hour ago.
>>
>>68056241
>>68056241
>Superman can reverse time
And this is why DCucks are no better than Dragonball autists
>>
>>68055319
I felt like it was a giant missed opportunity. There was some pretty obvious interplay between the philosophies of Pa Kent, Jor-El, and Zod that was never capitalized on. Each is overtly concerned with the present, the future, and the past, respectively.

The problem is that Zod is immediately a villain. If he had shown up earlier, and without making threats and demands, you could have explored this a lot better. He could have been a sort of surrogate father figure for Clark, his first encounter with one of his own people. And you only slowly begin to realize Zod's obsession with restoring Krypton at the expense of Earth.

If they took the time to establish a relationship between Clark and Zod that final moment when he's forced to kill him would have been that much more meaningful. Instead it doesn't make sense, because Zod is playing a dick from day one.
>>
>>68054715
>superman
>superman ii
>superman iii
>superman iv

How I long for simpler times.
>>
File: superman_returns_13.jpg (230 KB, 1401x2100) Image search: [Google]
superman_returns_13.jpg
230 KB, 1401x2100
>>68058890
So here's the question: at the cusp of finishing II, I what is the better continuation? Pretend III and IV don't exist and treat Returns as the proper conclusion?
>>
>>68056474
>Dat junkyard fight.
Fug.
>>
>>68058158
she was shitposting in IRL
>>
>>68059428
Yes.
>>
>>68059428

Pretty much but the best option is to pretend the Donner films just ended at II. Returns is a literal fan film.
>>
>when they fuck around on the moon and bully astronauts

kek, great film
>>
>>68059510
I think I am going to go ahead and just watch III and IV and taint the fresh continuity that is developing in my mind as I watch these afresh.

I remember really liking Returns when I happened to see it on my college's closed-circuit TV station long ago. Dat final sacrifice and Superman almost-dying. Dat Kevin Spacey Lex.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.