[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the hell is this douchebag's problem ? I've watched
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: Gandalf.png (138 KB, 328x334) Image search: [Google]
Gandalf.png
138 KB, 328x334
What the hell is this douchebag's problem ? I've watched the LOTR special features, and he starts going on about how great it is that there is no God in Lord of the Rings and that people find morality for themselves. I mean, first of all, the book is mythology, it's about as religious as you can get. But more importantly, what he said had nothing to do with anything anyone was even talking about. There was no context whatsoever. Then a couple minutes of google finds

>McKellan stated, “I wouldn't say there's an appeal in this story to any particular set of beliefs… I note with delight that Hobbiton is a community without a church. … There is no set of beliefs in this story, no credo.”

See, this is why everyone hates atheist. Look, you can believe whatever you want, but when you won't shut up about it, it's starts to get pretty annoying. I can only imagine what this guy is like at parties.

>Person A (talking to Person B): So I finally got around to reading that book you lent me, and-

>Ian McKellen (showing up out of no where): Was it a fiction novel ? I always thought the Bible should be listed in the fiction section.

>Person A: . . .

>Person B: No, it was a book about the history of imaginary numbers throughout...

>Ian McKellen: You know what the best part about numbers are ? They don't believe in God.

>Person A: That doesn't even make sense.

>Ian McKellen: I do enjoy parties. There are no churches at parties.
>>
there are gods in the LOTR world

eru illuvitar and that hunter guy
>>
>>68049901
wew
>>
As much as a fedora tipper he is, I still felt sorry for him in hobbit.
>>
>>68049901
I think he liked the idea that people didn't need to be told to do good stuff by a celestial boss, but sorta worked it for themselves based on empathy and kindness.

Relax, OP. Relax. Based Sir Ian hasn't got many reasons to like the church.
>>
His character was literally an angel
>>
god is a fag
>>
>>68049956
i no
>>
File: ngbbs5127a6dcc65de.jpg (43 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
ngbbs5127a6dcc65de.jpg
43 KB, 400x533
>>68050109
By saying he is a fag you admit he exist. *TIP* to your superior intelligence.
>>
There is a god in LOTR but nobody gives a shit about him and he does nothing.
He is absolutely right about the morality part, eru didnt fucking write a book of commandments or shit like that and like he said there is no place or worship like a church or anything of the sort.
>>
He's making a commentary on the underlying morality of the LotR universe, you moron.
>>
>>68049901
Nice blogpost. Literally nobody cares.
>>
File: kaworu will never let you fall.gif (965 KB, 500x213) Image search: [Google]
kaworu will never let you fall.gif
965 KB, 500x213
>>68049901
>everyone hates atheist

Good luck with that shit, OP.
>>
File: 1428517130972.gif (316 KB, 480x420) Image search: [Google]
1428517130972.gif
316 KB, 480x420
>>68049901

Remember kids, God created cancer, ebola and tuberculosis because he loves us.
>>
>>68050982
>nobody gives a shit about him and he does nothing

I've often wondered how Eru occupies his time. Certainly I hope he isn't just wanking.
>>
>it's a thinly veiled /pol/ atheists vs pretend Christians episode
>>
>>68051151
Remember that in the bible people lived up to 1000 years despite calcifications, cellular atrophy, loss of cells that don't proliferate and cancer by the massive accumulation of transcription errors.
Totally nothing to do with the fact that the people around the time God wrote the bible knew absolutely nothing about how the human body works.
>>
>>68051151
Nuh uh! The devil made all the bad stuffs, cause god is good!

Check mate non belivers!
>>
>>68051239
>everything i dislike is /pol/
how to spot a retarded redditor
>>
>>68049901
nice pasta
>>
>>68049901
>See, this is why everyone hates atheist
>See, this is why everyone hates people who don't believe in gods
That's some blanket statement there oh pee
>>
>>68050982
>>68051066
Pretty much this
>>
File: redditgraph.png (23 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
redditgraph.png
23 KB, 1600x1200
>>68051330

That's the spirit, anon. You're in the gang now. Your gang name will be "Millicent".
>>
Ian McKellen is a brilliant actor, but he's an idiot. Trying to push his agendas everywhere. I remember listening to the LOTR commentaries for the first time just gawking at some of his comments.

I actually think that's where I first learned he was gay, actually.
>>
>>68051439
What is the "reddit" pattern?
>>
>>68052955
it's the frequency with which reddit gets mentioned on a board-by-board basis. I'd love to know how they performed the necessary searches and got those results partly because redditgraph.png's quite out of date but also because it would come as no surprise to me to find the situation's even more ridiculous now
>>
>>68049901

>hold on, let me dredge up a couple sound bytes from one actor on a special feature from a movie that came out 15 years ago
>see how annoying atheists are!?
>>
>>68049901
>there is no God in Lord of the Rings
embarassing, since there is. and tolkien was a devout catholic.
>>
>>68049956
Eru is the only god. All the others are the equivalent of angels, demons, and demigods.
>>
>>68053318

there isnt any worship or bible or religion though, despite there being a creator god

Tolkein turned the real life situation on its head.
>>
File: tumblr 4chan.png (36 KB, 1908x1208) Image search: [Google]
tumblr 4chan.png
36 KB, 1908x1208
>>68053042
>I'd love to know how they performed the necessary searches and got those results partly because redditgraph.png's quite out of date but also because it would come as no surprise to me to find the situation's even more ridiculous now
I'm pretty sure 'reddit' wasn't such a meme around here by late 2014.

I also found this one with reverse image, but I can't find a source for these. I'd love to get some insight in word uses on boards etc.
>>
>>68053322
You'll find its the same in most so called 'polytheistic' religions. In Greek myth for example there's an all powerful being called Chaos, the only difference is that Chaos just lets the Titans and later Gods get on with shit, so he doesn't come into play very often.
>>
>>68051151
Good, hopefully weeb cucks will get all three
>>
>>68051151
You fail to understand that the laws of the universe have to be obeyed. There are very few, if any times in the Bible that God directly intervenes. It is generally via angels.
>>
>>68049901
Say what you want about Ian, but you're the one who got butthurt enough about this to make a thread about it on an anime board, faggot.
>>
>>68053949
It's not like angels are doing anything on their own accord, they're always sent by G*d.
>>
>>68053042
Reddit is just an insult, rather than any proof that the post was following from Reddit.

It's like going to somebody "Go back to /v/". Doesn't mean they're from /v/, only that you want to find some boogeyman to scapegoat an opinion you don't like.

I've never seen 'reddit' mentioned on /tg/. But maybe that's cause I ignore 98% of threads.
>>
>>68054103
Correct, however that is an important distinction.
>>
>>68054103
they're not automatons though. they're carrying out orders of their own will, if they wanted they could rebel.
>>
>>68054165
>Reddit is just an insult, rather than any proof that the post was following from Reddit.
>It's like going to somebody "Go back to /v/". Doesn't mean they're from /v/, only that you want to find some boogeyman to scapegoat an opinion you don't like.
No shit sherlock, that's literally what he said.
>>68053042
I tracked it back here. A guy on /sci/ made it from data at one point of the day back in 2014. Very interesting but there are no pics in the archive anymore.
https://foolz.fireden.net/sci/thread/6929099/
>>
>>68049901
Neither Eru or the Valar demanded worship. The numenoreans worshipped Eru on a mountain from time to time and the elves mentioned His name at wedding ceremonies but that was it.

The only time a temple is built, it's built for the worship of Satan himself, complete with human sacrifice.

Eru actually stays very low-key, only working His influence at key moments, like making Gollum slip and fall into Mount Doom or destroying the Numenorean blasphemers by drowning them.

The people of middle-earth do know about the higher powers but they don't outright feel the need to worship them. And Eru does not demand worship either. He is satisfied as long as His Divine Plan moves forward.

I can see where Ian is coming from but he puts it rather bluntly.
>>
>>68049901
>retard doesn't know lord of the rings was loosely created off of an old Christian pilgrim parable
Don't remember everything, read it in elementary school, but the main pilgrim dude has to carry this heavy pack symbolizing the sin we all carry through life; this old guy (gandalf) offers to help carry it for him, but pilgrim refuses since its his burden so he just tags along instead. There's other characters as well and I don't even remember the plot of where they're headed or anything, but I'm sure if you cared enough you can Google it and maybe find the whole story
>>
>>68049901
he's a spiteful old gay homosexual faggot who resents anything that even smells like it might have the capacity to judge him. he knows deep down that he is an evil degenerate who will burn in hellfire for eternity, which is why he is hypersensitive to anything or anyone who reminds him of that
>>
>>68053949

What laws of the universe?

God created horrible diseases that make people die in disgusting and painful ways because?
>>
>>68049901
What he means is that there is no prescribed morality in the Tolkien's world, and there never was. Some powerful beings shaped the world, but they never promoted some sort of code of behavior and values, as opposed to what religions like christianity and islam are doing.
>>
>>68057175
there's literally Good and Evil.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.