[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that Gervais' career has lulled and he's making
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10
File: gervais-merchant.jpg (40 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
gervais-merchant.jpg
40 KB, 400x300
Now that Gervais' career has lulled and he's making The Office Movie (UK) without Merchant's involvement, we all agree that Merchant was always the better one anyway, right?
>>
File: steohenmerchant[1].jpg (119 KB, 1368x912) Image search: [Google]
steohenmerchant[1].jpg
119 KB, 1368x912
>>68046391
We've always known that. It'll be interesting to see how special correspondents and the office movie do without steve.
>>
>>68046391
Will they ever produce anything good ever again?

Last thing I remember Merchant being in was the little floaty orb dude in Portal 2
>>
Why have they split up exactly?
>>
>>68046496
That his woman? The oldboy from Bristol's done well.
>>
>>68046633
He was on lip sync battle or whatever it's called
>>
>>68046496
jesus he looks horrifying here
>>
They were better together because they stifled each others worst creative quirks. Apart their unchecked creativity runs wild.

Same thing happened with Mighty Boosh guys. Noel Fielding went bonkers without JB to rein him in. And without fielding, Barratt was just dull.
>>
>>68046496
why did you photoshop his head to be like a giant eggplant on a stick
>>
File: Stephen Merchant.jpg (64 KB, 615x954) Image search: [Google]
Stephen Merchant.jpg
64 KB, 615x954
>>68046766
What's with his JUST eyes?
>>
File: HANDS.jpg (36 KB, 434x576) Image search: [Google]
HANDS.jpg
36 KB, 434x576
>>68046834
And what's with her fucking hands?!
>>
I finally got around to watching that show where he tries to interview garry shandling and gets BTFO. great stuff. RIP in pieces.
>>
>>68046391
why aren't they friends anymore?
>>
>>68046866
jesus christ it's like she's some sort of crypt keeper
>>
have you seen the new trailer? it's fucking shit

just proof that Merchant was the brains the whole time

let's look at Gervais' track record

GOAT:
Office (written by Merch)
Extras (written by Merch)
XFM & RGS (had merch in it)
Moaning of Life/Idiot abroad (done with Merch)

SHIT:
Invention of Lying (Ricky)
Derek (Ricky)
Life's Too Short (fair enough Merch wrote this too)
>>
>>68046950
moaning of life had neither involved
an idiot abroad Steve was only involved in the first two series
>>
>That twenty minutes of ricky dying on stage at live8
It felt...good
>>
>>68046633
Hello Ladies was good. But it felt repetitive - like most of their stuff after Extras.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MjTh5tFiZM

Everyone watch this and cringe, but not in a good way.
>>
>>68046950
>XFM
was great because of the interaction between Karl and Ricky. Merchant had little to do with it.
>>
>>68047040
It's okay
>>
>>68046950
Idiot Abroad was god tier
Moaning of life was pretty shit
Life's too short was ok.
What do you think of Hello Ladies?
>>
As a brit who prefers the US version of the office (early seasons only), I find it difficult to relate to my fellow countrymen who are currently praising this trailer like a Jumbo pack of PG tips...

I just wanted something tryhard and goofy that makes me comfy, not something so tryhard and bleak. How do I go on, where can I go?
>>
>>68047064
all the great interactions are between Steve and Karl
>>
File: costanza laptop.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
costanza laptop.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
Is there even anything new to explore here?

The Office had
>Awkwardness/cringe
which has been done to death by now. Either by Peep Show, Curbs, Klovn, Hello Ladies or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I love cringe but it's been well explored by now. And it's starting to feel repetitive.
>Mockumentary style
Meh. Unless, you package it in something interesting.

The Office was all about The Office, not Brent perse. Brent was funny because he stood out compared to 'normal' people. With a movie just about him it will be boring very quickly. In the end, the Office also had heart and I think this will just be a cringycringyjoke fest.
>>
>>68047188
>How do I go on, where can I go?
Parcs&Rec
Modern Family

You could try It's always sunny, since it's /tv/core.
>>
>>68046950
Life's Too Short was so bad that the two of them stopped working together, so that more or less proves it.
>>
>>68046766
He looks fine?
>>
File: 24417141.jpg (88 KB, 400x398) Image search: [Google]
24417141.jpg
88 KB, 400x398
>>68046866
>>68046910

Kids these days
>>
>>68047432
>>68047171

They made a TV movie as a finale for that, didn't they? Should I bother watching it?

It's awful about the wasted potential of that. There were some scattered solid jokes in it. The Liam Neeson bit was hilarious, for example.

Also, I hear the soundtrack for Hello Ladies was GOAT. Should I just skip the show and get the soundtrack?
>>
>>68046391
Hello Ladies was pretty weak and felt quite outdated too.

They both complimented eachother pretty well, merchant stopped Gerv getting too mawkish and bogged down in forced emotion. Ricky was a great main.

I get the feeling they are both out of touch now. Listen to Gervais and Merchant in their early radio shows, they had their finger on the pulse of pop culture and what was good and what was bad. Now Ricky is a millionaire living in America, he's still trying to go to that same well because he hasn't got anything relevant to say about the current world past what he sees on Twitter
>>
>>68047938
>Also, I hear the soundtrack for Hello Ladies was GOAT. Should I just skip the show and get the soundtrack?
Not him, but I'd watch his Hello Ladies stand-up, and then try the first couple of episodes of the show and see if you like it. It's not that bad in my opinion, but it's not that great either.
>>
File: da0428d3e2.jpg (79 KB, 1012x416) Image search: [Google]
da0428d3e2.jpg
79 KB, 1012x416
>>68047226
this
>>
Merchant is a talentless cunt.
>>
>>68048067
I didn't mind his stand-up, but I get the idea that Hello Ladies is 'Steve almost hooks up with some hot Yank Bird every episode but manages to fuck up/complications set in so he doesn't even lay her' type formula.

Tell me I'm wrong and he at least he scores a few times during the series.
>>
>>68048142
It's been a while since I've seen it, and it's pretty forgettable, but I think he hooks up a couple of times. But you're mostly right. He tends to fuck up every episode until the end, when he predictably gets with his "friend zone" chick
>>
>>68046704
he fucking created that show
>>
>>68046788
Julian Barratt is fine, he's actually doing high concept work
>>
>>68047064
Ricky was the worst part of it

He was either interrupting Karl with his forced fake laugh or to tip his fedora all over him.

The only thing he ever did on that show that was funny was when he played Karl and Stephnen against each other
>>
>>68046391
Yes OP we can. All gervais has is that fucking irritating laugh of his.
>>
File: smh tb.jpg (68 KB, 579x576) Image search: [Google]
smh tb.jpg
68 KB, 579x576
>>68048406
>mfw every time they jump the gun or strain out a laugh about how wrong Karl is when he's actually putting forward something right or offers great insight in an everyman way

I get it that was their gimmick, part of their chemistry that made it work, but fuck me senseless

>gremlins
>>
>>68048406
So on point you should get an award for this. Thats literally all he fucking does these days that horrible laugh ugh.
>>
File: james franco.png (268 KB, 493x523) Image search: [Google]
james franco.png
268 KB, 493x523
>>68048406
>>68048719
>mfw I like ricky's laugh
So fucking contagious.

Conversations between Steve and Karl were so rare that there's only a few that really stuck with me. I like how you can feel the animosity through their conversation. Steve has an appreciation for knowledge while Karl has a childs way of appreciating the world.

I still liked the conversations with Ricky and Karl more though. Whatever kind of cunt Ricky is, he's great at underlining Karls absurdities.
>>
>LIKE BO SELECTA
>>
>>68048922
When thy are talking normally and then ricky does his really loud high pitch laugh its like smashing plates the noise grates on your fucking ear drums. He offered little else.

Karl was the best thing about that whole set up without him there would be no show. He was really funny.
>>
>>68049035
inspired, too

just kept on generating ideas that always led to hilarity
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ8jJ7qJ24c

>Bowie composed a tune that could be seen as a joke but in reality was the truth

Bless him and everything he gave us
>>
>>68046391

merchant literally can't write or act. that's why hello ladies was so shit comared to extras and office. and if you ever listened to their radio show you'd realize that merchant is a pompous twat who's borderline braindead and is often outsmarted by Karl pilkington
>>
>>68049064
I really could just listen to him talk without the other 2 for hour especially his diary enteries. The other two are easily replaceable imo
>>
>Christians hate Ricky
>hahahahahahahaha! Whiny Americans BTFO
>You're an idiot - play a record!
>>
File: karlos.jpg (114 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
karlos.jpg
114 KB, 1280x800
>>68049076
Everybody is outsmarted by Karl Pilkington the man is a modern genius philosopher
>>
>>68047938
>They made a TV movie as a finale for that, didn't they? Should I bother watching it?
Yeah, that was easily the best episode of the series. Features Cheggers, Les Dennis and Barry from Eastenders. Val Kilmer's in it as well.
>>
>>68049313
pushin people off their bikes n that
>>
>>68049313
reminder that autistics literally have more connections in their brains than regular people which makes their solutions to problems oblique yet on closer examination superior.
>>
>>68048406
>stop you right there Karl
>the producers of this show do not believe in ghosts or religion because its rubbish, I believe in science and facts, now, carry on Karl
Ricky is such a fucking chode. Dislike that shit all you want but this is literally fedora tier blowing steam up your own ass to seem intelligible. Deflated all the fun from the conversation when he said that.
>>
>>68049407
>Features Cheggers, Les Dennis and Barry from Eastenders
Was that the bit where they were talking about death by wanking?
>>
The trailer for the new David Brent looks a bit shit.
>>
>>68047329
It looks to me like Gervias hasn't got any other ideas, so he's bringing back his most successful character. I agree though it's already been done well over 10 years ago and this new one might come across as going over old ground or at worst a comedian past his best trying to recreate old glories.
>>
>>68047171
>life's too short
Is that the bong version of short way around?
>>
>>68050247
Can you ask this question again but in English?
>>
>>68049515
or that one time where he said chimps don't have thumbs and started backtracking when listeners pointed it out.
>>
>>68049784
>this new one might come across as going over old ground or at worst a comedian past his best trying to recreate old glories.

That would actually be a good theme to explore. But it would still be shit without merchant. I love how he criticised selling out in Extras by playing a guy forced to act like a retard and consequently he did the precise same thing.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.