[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So he didn't bring the balance to the force? Why the dark
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5
File: 17tv1xp02fp7njpg.jpg (416 KB, 714x1200) Image search: [Google]
17tv1xp02fp7njpg.jpg
416 KB, 714x1200
So he didn't bring the balance to the force? Why the dark side still exist after the RotJ?
>>
>>68045852
Once he died there were no Sith left, ergo no balance.
>>
>>68045852
it was a failed prophesy
>>
>>68045852
do you even know what balance is mothefucker? how would it be balanced if there was only 1 side
>mfw this autist completely missed the message
>>
Who made the prophecy in the first place? I must have missed that part
>>
>>68045852
No where in the original trilogy does it ever mention that Vader is supposed to restore balance to the force.

This was just some stupid bullshit Lucas made up in the prequels to make Anakin seem important because he couldn't just right about a normal guy who became a powerful Jedi and then fell because of some deep tragedy. So he had to put in stupid prophecy shit.
>>
>>68045852
Because JJ is a studio yes-man hack who shits on the legacy of the franchise
>>
>>68045881
>>68045889
The existence of Sith is literally what causes an imbalance, it's not a numbers game you fucking autists.
>>
>>68045852
because they needed more money
>>
>>68045852
>implying he didn't
>implying balance means erasing the dark side
>implying your post is not bait
>>
>>68045937
Light cannot exist without dark
>>
He did bring balance to the force. There's no reason to believe the force isn't in balance during the events of episode 7. George explained that the force flows like a river and the Sith were disrupting that flow. When Anakin destroyed the Sith he restored the natural flow of the force. Calling it balance was a poor choice of words on George's part. What else is new, though?
>>
>>68045889
I'm pretty sure that George Lucas explained that it's the dark side that makes the Force "unbalanced". Dark side users use the Force for their own profit making it unstanble.

Dark side and Light side aren't equal - natural state of the Force is light.
>>
No. He wasn't supposed to die. Him and Luke were supposed to work together and hatch some hella fucking epic scheme. Luke fucked it up. Do any EU autists concur with this point of view? I've only seen the movies so I barely know Vader.
>>
>>68045852
The "chosen one to bring balance of the force" thing is just another example of George Lucas making shit up as he goes along. It is never referenced in Episode IV, V or VI despite its supposed importance to the plot.

I don't know why Episode VII even acknowledged it.
>>
>>68045852
The prophecy was always bullshit. How is it supposed to work anyway? Vader might have killed the Emperor, but what about the other evil people? Stormtroopers, Imperial Agents, people like Tarkin, does their darkness not count because they don't fuck around with lightsabers? Or are we to assume that the emperor made them evil or something? One grand action that is capable of destroying darkness forever will never work. Evil people will always creep up somewhere and abuse the system in their favour. Maybe we should accept that and react accordingly instead of escaping into fantasy.
>>
>>68046755
>Or are we to assume that the emperor made them evil or something?

I think that the Force can somehow affect every living being in the galaxy and Palpatine killing all other force users and using the Force for his on profit (making is unbalanced - see >>68045972 ) somehow influenced minds of all creatures in the galaxy.
>>
>>68046164
>I don't know why Episode VII even acknowledged it.
did it? i assume OP is just another prequelbaby whos sad that shit is getting rightfully ignored
>>
Anakin did bring balance to the force.
But Luke fucked it all up again.
Luke should have killed himself at the end of ep6.
>>
>>68045930
wat
>>
>>68045852
I saw this kinó 12 times in the cinéma
>>
>>68047685
Nope no mention of any pre quel shit besides "we should have used a clone army".
>>
Balance was achieved the moment Sheev was killed. One Sith. One Jedi.

That's when the prophecy was complete.

Whatever happened after that is unrelated to the prophecy
>>
>>68045852
He was never meant to destroy the Dark Side. That's as impossible as trying to destroy the night.

What Vader was prophesied to destroy was the Sith, who, through Order 66, had unbalanced the Force.
>>
to me balance is equal parts.... jedi were becoming overpopulated and needed to be thinned out the scene alone where he kills all the younglings was bring balance to the force

equal dark and light
>>
>>68045937
Not just the existence of the Sith but also the existence of the Jedi. There was a reason that the Jedi were culled as well. Their order had become just as much of a perversion of nature as the Sith order. Jedi had been suppressing their feelings and emotions, using rationality to exercise extreme self control. The Jedi were commanded by their rationality, the Apollonian in the same sense that the Sith were ruled by passion, the Dionysian.

The lesson of the Lucas movies was that balance had to be achieved. Not that emotions must be tempered by reason, but also that reason must be tempered by emotion. He dressed Luke in black in the last film to show how he danced this line. Anakin tried to dance this line and was devoured by his passions, his greed for life, and was punished for it. In the end, Luke was willing to surrender himself not to reason but to love of his enemy.

As to the OP's question, for two reasons

1. Lucas was a student of the monomyth which implies that time is cyclical, everything returns in the end. Luke had ended one cycle and likely began another.

2. Disney wants to milk their new product and use nostalgia and old characters for it.
>>
He brought balance
At the end of episode 3 there are two jedi.. and two sith
>>
>>68050019
sounds like a bunch of god damn hogwash son
>>
>>68050139
Lucas was trying, but failed to get across the point in the OT that the Jedi, like the Senate, had become too obsessed with ritual and order, too self righteous and set in their ways and suffered the same kind of stagnation that the political system around them did.

One scene that didn't make it past storyboards had Yoda considering some of his failings as grand master of the Jedi.
>>
>>68050211
And by OT I mean PT of course.
>>
>>68050211
Well I guess that makes a bit of sense then.

My impression from the prequels was that he really wanted to do some shit with the prophecy, but that single line in the 3rd one was basically him throwing up his hands and saying "well the fans weren't being cooperative, so fuck it, the prophecy might have been wrong"
>>
>>68045852
That picture pisses me off because I'm sure whoever made it thinks Vader could survive without that much of his suit.
>>
File: 1459689016975.gif (937 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1459689016975.gif
937 KB, 480x270
>>68045852
George Lucas brought his 4 billion dollars to his bank balance
>>
>>68050326
He could if he was pissed enough. He didn't need the suit when he was really mad since it gave him dark side power.

Kind of like Darth Sion.
>>
>>68050463
Upvote!
>>
>>68050019
>Not just the existence of the Sith but also the existence of the Jedi. There was a reason that the Jedi were culled as well. Their order had become just as much of a perversion of nature as the Sith order. Jedi had been suppressing their feelings and emotions, using rationality to exercise extreme self control. The Jedi were commanded by their rationality, the Apollonian in the same sense that the Sith were ruled by passion, the Dionysian.
nice headcanon anon.
>>
>>68045930
George already shat all over the legacy when he introduced the prophecy. Go to bed kid.
>>
>>68045852
The prophecy never said he would do so directly. He is the first make of his line. If a Skywalker eventually does the job down the line, he still gets credit for it, since it was his actions that led to that Skywalker doing the deed.
>>
>>68045919
fucking this
>>
>>68046076
something something vong
something something sheev was a good guy after all
something something rebels were terrorists
>>
>>68050662
But he was always in pain and angry. Did he ever fight with the armor off? Maybe in the books? I can't imagine sheeve actually taught him the more advanced use of the dark side. I always figured he gave him some kind of abridged book of sith knowledge.
>>
File: 1459999799262.jpg (55 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1459999799262.jpg
55 KB, 480x720
Who the fuck is snoke and what hole did he crawl out of?

If they knew about snoke for so long why did they not storm in and fuck his shit up decades ago?
>>
>>68046755
damn, great post. not only did discus why the prophecy is dumb but you also talked about why world peace could never exist.

keep up the good work anon, we need people like you on 4chan

but, if youre willing, i have a quesiton for you : what do you mean by 'evil people'? do you mean those that will abuse the system in their favour, or do you mean someone who lacks a certain amount of empathy?
>>
>>68049125
but vader was dead
so there was only luke... so one jedi zero sith

but then kylo pops up in like what 25 years
and was snoke already around?

so what kind of prophecy was it if it was only right for... say 25 years after being projected like 70 years ago... pretty shit prophecy if you ask me
>>
>>68049828
how is having too many jedis unbalanced
(before you get at me with grey jedi just stop, i'm talking canon here)

jedi are the 'peace keepers of the galaxy' and the sith are *evil laugh*. the jedi never ddi anything to harm another being. sith couldn't stop harming other beings. how is having equal parts balance
>>
>>68050019
Fantastic analysis but I think you're giving lucas too much credit.
>>
>>68050463
Why did you post a picture of Napoleon Dynamite?
>>
>>68051292
See: >>68047255
>>
>>68050019

You're aware it is a children's movie, right?
>>
File: image.jpg (731 KB, 1712x1338) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
731 KB, 1712x1338
They needed more SW shekels. Plus a prime propaganda opportunity.

Kasdan said in an interview that he and JJ asked themselves what it would be like if the Nazis had gone to Argentina and regrouped after WWII.

From birth, Jews are raised with this idea that homogeneous white societies will inevitably result in goose-stepping, ethnic cleansing, and warmongering. And I could understand that outlook if history had begun in 1930. But the truth is, whites are the most egalitarian and least barbaric group in human history.

That's what frustrates many of us when Jewish Hollywood sensibilities become accepted norms. They're slanted, prejudiced and their bias goes unchallenged by everyone.

The First Order was a Jewish take on ultimate evil. And because modern Jews are obsessed with The Shoah and WWII everything magically relates to MUH SIX MILLION.

It has gotten boring. It's stale. I wish we could get a more nuanced view of evil, but that won't happen because show-biz Jews always find a way of politicizing everything.

Like, recently I saw a movie set in 1920s London. There were several shots of a black man and a white woman walking as a couple in the street. It was there to sell us something. It was out of place and revisionist. It's tacky and it's condescending.

The objective is to shape public opinion with the assumption that everyone needs "educating" and are too dumb to pick up on the flagrant advertising of their agenda. In this case, it was a short throwaway scene and it still took me out of the movie. The message is basically, "You're too dumb to find the right opinions by yourself, so we're going to give you direction by placing propaganda in the media you consume."

SJW placement just seems dishonest and manipulative. Flagrant product placement annoys me whether it's a product I like or not. It takes me out of the ride that it should be, pauses everything to remind me what I'm supposed to think, and then expects me to jump back in with full enthusiasm.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 326x222) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 326x222
STRONK WIMINIZ WIT BLACK BULLS MMM HMM BE LIKE THEM WHEN YOU GROW UP KIDZ
>>
>>68045889
>how would it be balanced if there was only 1 side
then why did yoda complain in EP1 about the balance if there was only jedis at that point
star wars is fucking shit
>>
>>68052548
D A R T H M A U L
A
R
T
H
M
A
U
L
>>
>>68052605
how does he balances anything if he's shit and dies in his first fight
>>
>>68050019
The entire 7 movies would have been better if they had properly explored the Jedi being a big of a problem as the Sith. But they didn't.
>>
>>68052661
they FELT there was a sith m8
>>
>>68052731
exactly
that doesn't happen because lucas is a mediocre writer
face it, SW only has sucess due to it's propaganda
>>
"The Force" is actually Disney's bank account balance. It was originally George Lucas's account balance, but when he sold it to Disney a four billion dollar disturbance was created that could only be rectified by a plucky young woman and her eminently marketable group of friends.
>>
>>68052829
what do you mean by "propaganda"?
>>
>>68045852
The prophecy was a terrible addition to the story to begin with. Vader was already as tragic as he needed to be. We didn't need three movies about him being the "Chosen One." It never made sense, since the Dark Side simply represented potential moral and spiritual pitfalls. As long as there are selfish and impulsive twats there'd be a Dark Side, and the Sith in particular aren't that special either from a narrative and thematic perspective. Case in point: Kylo Ren and Snoke are basically Vader 0.5 and Emperor 2.0, respectively. As far as the story and audience are concerned they might as well be Sith.

This is just what happens when poorly planned pre/sequels happen.
>>
>>68053213
agreed. the OT was just a story of redemption, nothing more. adding a prophecy actually subtracts from vaders turn on sheev.

i think >>68045919 provides a solid explanation as to why the prophecy was included in a real-world sense
>This was just some stupid bullshit Lucas made up in the prequels to make Anakin seem important because he couldn't just write about a normal guy who became a powerful Jedi and then fell because of some deep tragedy.
so basically lucas didn't have the chops to design a story about how anakin became darth vader without invoking some bullshit about a prophecy that made the jedi take on a nobody
>>
>>68053593
I recall an interview where Lucas outright states he decided to make the prequels because he didn't think people were sympathetic to Vader enough.
>>
>>68053664
hmmm well the way he wrote it vader in the OT, he doesn't really deserve sympathy

it's not like we ever see him showing signs of good

it's been a while since ive seen ROTJ but doesn't he turn becuase sheev is trying to get luke to murder vader but luke is too pure to do it? and then i guess vader is re-enLIGHTENED

also how does the prophecy make us more sympathetic? wouldn't his righteous fall be good enough?
>>
>>68045970
>the sun needs a dark side
>>
>>68054371
>what is a blackhole
>>
>>68051493
Lucas himself said as much, he's basically said that the Jedi blinded themselves and that Qui-gon was right. He hinted at force ghost Qui-gon and heavily implied that both Yoda and Obi-wan were talking to him during their exile to learn what the Jedi did wrong that allowed this prophecy to come to pass as it did.

Notice how none of the Jedi, not even fucking Yoda could really identify what was wrong with Anakin. He kept expressing his feelings with Obi-wan and he had no real answers. That scene where he talks with Yoda, any fucking idiot could see that Anakin was horribly concerned and Yoda barely probes deeper than answering the question at a surface level, and proving a horribly inadequate answer. "You have to learn to let go" is bullshit! Tell me what man, knowing his wife was going to die, would accept that answer while she was still safe.

From this it is implied that the Jedi live in their minds too much and even though they meet people who express passion they can't understand it, they have severed themselves from it. Jedi do not learn how to harness their passions constructively so when they are expressed, they are like the tantrums of a child. Anakin did not grow emotionally between episode I and III, he was still a child because he required teachings the Jedi did not have. They raise their apprentices from infancy so that all they know is cool, Jedi rationality.

The Jedi practice a sort of metaphysical escapism, living on a plane outside of reality while existing within reality. This is the opposite of the Sith who are radical atheists in this sense. They gave zero shits about what the will of the force was, and some of the more skeptical Sith even denied the force had a will. To them, the force was a power and all that mattered was whether one had the will to use it. The whole dark/light thing was just sentient perception of an utterly amoral font of power. I wish Sheev and Yoda had a conversation about this prior to their duel.
>>
So much wrong in this thread.

The whole prophecy thing actually is the only good part of the prequels. It makes all 6 films Anakin's story without taking away from what was already there.

Prequel Anakin shifted the balance from thousands of Jedi and a couple of Sith to pretty much just 2 of each. Balance. The Sith took control because there had been thousands of years of Jedi control.

Then OT Anakin creates real balance by lopping Luke's hand off. From that point forward Luke seeks to be both light and dark and when he succeeds it's moments until Palpatine dies.

So Anakin needed to shift it to let the dark back in, then create a way for both to coexist in one person, then destroy the dark once and for all.

TFA fucked up on this. We had Obi Wan and Yoda for light, Sheev and Vader for dark. Then Luke was a new thing calling himself Jedi but able to control his anger and use it. TFA just brings the dark side back like it never left.
>>
>>68054810
>From that point forward Luke seeks to be both light and dark and when he succeeds it's moments until Palpatine dies.
This is an intensely stupid interpretation.
>>
>>68054810
>>68054709
jesus christ i thought all of this "the prequels weren't that bad" stuff was a meme but you guys are seriously convinding me to give them another shot
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.