[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't they just get the Coens to direct this book,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
File: 518aJh03fdL.jpg (34 KB, 334x500) Image search: [Google]
518aJh03fdL.jpg
34 KB, 334x500
Why didn't they just get the Coens to direct this book, I mean No Country is apparently a picture perfect adaptation. What makes this so unfimable, if it's t he violence, tarantino does violence well. Also who would you cast as Judge Holden? Only Brando in Apoc Now could play him convincingly desu.
>>
Formal mccarthybis a hack and just apes Melville and Hemingway terribly. The road is one of the worst books I read.
>>
>>68033954
Cormac Mcarthy *
>>
>>68033801
The people who say it's unfilmable are just lazy shits who were disappointed it would require some effort on the part of the director, as opposed to something they could just copy page for page.
>>
bookshit is worse than capeshit

Look how Fight Club turned out
>>
>Making a movie about killing indians in Mexico when American is becoming a mexican nation

Hmm, I wonder.
>>
>>68035458
but the Fight club book is worse than the movie senpai.
>>
>>68035458
You do realize 90% of good movies ever were adapted from books, right?
>>
File: tonya_harding.jpg (41 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
tonya_harding.jpg
41 KB, 200x300
>mfw there will never be a Coen brothers movie about Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan
>>
>>68035411
I really don't get what's unfilmable about it, save for it being really violent. But honestly it wouldn't take a genius director to make a really violent film but not make the violence gratuitious. I guess, there being a limit on the violence would diminish the overall film. But for the most part, it never came across as unfilmable. Oh and I guess finding a convincing Judge Holden would be tough.
>>
>>68033801
Dicaprio as Glanton

Hardy as The Judge

Casie Affleck as The Kid

Brian Cranston as the ex priest
>>
>>68035612
and toadvine? Tom hardy as the judge tho? idk about that
>>
>>68035636
Dunno about Toadvine.

Chris Hemsworth as the Vandiemenlander
>>
>>68035526
bookshit is bookshit. Bookino doesn't exist.
>>
>>68035411
Are you high or just stupid? It's not unfilmable because it's difficult and people are lazy, it's unfilmable because 99% of the drama is derived from the flowery descriptions and context added by the narration. Without that you're just dealing with a long string of lonely landscape shots looped together. The only way to accurately capture it or even approximate it would be to have a running narrator contextualize it, and at that point you'd just be better off reading the book.
>>
>>68035636
brendan fraser as toadvine
>>
>>68035753
>99% of the drama is derived from the flowery descriptions and context added by the narration.

Not hard for a good director to transfer into imagery.
>>
>>68033954
>Hemingway

(You)
>>
>>68035591
I always assumed that the writing style couldn't be filmed, and that it was a part of the experience. The events described in the book are very filmable.

Fuck, Heinlein's All You Zombies was about as unfilmable as it got and even that ended up having a decent adaptation.
>>
>>68035816
Almost done with it, and I was thinking how beautiful some of the scenes in the desert would be
>>
what about big daddy mel gibson directing it?

apocalypto meets wild west.
>>
Terence Malick for director of this? yay or nay?
>>
>>68035810
No, that's the point it's impossible and that's why no one has ever done it. Sure there are plenty of ways to shoot "a version" of Blood Merridian, but to even come close to reinterpretting it visually without leaving out huge chunks of significance just can't happen.

You could make a 9 hour version where it's basically read aloud with imagery to corroborate it and be boring as hell, or you could cut out the majority of the introspective philosophical parts and just make a really gorey action movie. The reason no one's done it yet is because both of those sound terrible.
>>
Why didn't Ridley Scott get to make it?
>>
Is this book worth reading? A friend of mine gave it to me as a gift because she knows i like stuff western themed.
>>
Should I watch the road this weekend? I enjoyed the book a lot
>>
Mel Gibson as Glanton
Vincent D'Onofrio as The Judge
Logan Lerman as The Kid
Rory McCann as Toadvine
Brian Cranston as the Ex Priest
>>
>>68033801
>He thinks the violence is the problem
Try selling 5 hours of Texan/Mexican landscapes with some R rated violence no women and no soundtrack.
BM can work but it would be a financial disaster.
>>
>>68035932
Mel if only for the Apache costumes/make up
>>
>>68036311
>no soundtrack

Why the fuck wouldn't it have a soundtrack?
>>
>>68036311
That basically sounds like The Rover and that was fantastic. Shit like this won't make hundreds of millions like Avengers 9: More Avengers or the latest Disney tripe but there's definitely a lot of people who would see it.
>>
Judge close to uncastable
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 706x780) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 706x780
>>68036458
Nah, I know a guy.
>>
>>68036389
Because that would distract from the natural sounds of the riders and the surroundings they pass.
>>68036414
I think a 2h version and a very long version getting all/majority of the scenery would be the best.
>>
>>68036591
what about james franco for director of this?
>>
>>68036591
>Because that would distract from the natural sounds of the riders and the surroundings they pass.

The music can go in and out.
>>
>>68036591
So you're looking for The Rover crossed with Paris, Texas
>>
>>68033801
Coens actually hate making dark films. Have you noticed how every film they made after Blood Simple (with the exception of No Country) has those "quirky" elements shoerhorned into them that people mistake for a distinct style?
>>
>>68036342

>if only for the Apache costumes/make up
>implying

you know that if mel 'jews come get some' gibson did it then the indians would be straight up naked save for some warpaint.

except i just remembered they were described as wearing the clothes of their victims. fuckit i dunno.
>>
>>68036538
yea was actually gonna say closest would be an engineer desu
>>
>>68036900
Are you talking about that God awful "test footage" he shot of it like three years ago with what's his nuts from LOST as the Judge?

Yeah, that is a prime example of why this can't be made into a movie and probably shouldn't be attempted. He took one of the more interesting vignettes in the story (the Judge's origin) and turned it into a half hour of hot garbage. It was down right disrespectful.
>>
>>68033801
>the Coens should direct BM meme
>the Brando would be a good Holden meme

Wrong and wrong. Coens are great directors, but this book is so far away from their style that it would be something else entirely in their hands. Brando was a great actor, but he didn't look the part and generally wouldn't have been the right casting choice.
>>
>>68035479
They barely kill any Mexicans in the book. For a large chunk of the story, they're working for them. Don't see a problem there.

Also, do you really think people would consider the Glanton gang "heroes," or consider anything that they do to be "good?"
>>
>>68037395
wouldn't mexicans want that anyway lol, as opposed to showcasing them as being savages and evil people out to get white women.
>>
>>68036538
Whole reading the book I kept imagining Holden as an engineer. In my ironic headcanon, he's a rogue engineer who's come to do evil
>>
>>68035753
>Without that you're just dealing with a long string of lonely landscape shots looped together.
So, the Revenant?
>>
File: image.jpg (217 KB, 1361x769) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
217 KB, 1361x769
>I need a man to play John Glant-
>He's already finished shooting his sides, sir. Would you like me to give him his diet coke now, or wait until he's out of make up for playing the kid as well?
>>
>>68033801
Herzog circa 1977
>>
>>68035814
He's right in a sense they have some stylistic similarities. McCarthy is far more verbose due to his biblical outbursts but his characters speak with glacial elegance reminiscent of Papa H.
>>
File: 1442976546706.jpg (381 KB, 417x640) Image search: [Google]
1442976546706.jpg
381 KB, 417x640
>>68033801
The book's conscious lack of a strong narrative and the absence of "relatable" characters will make it a hard sell for a lot of people.

An adaptation would also probably try to make the kid more heroic or in some way attempt to play down what Glanton's gang does.

Some books just aren't meant to become flicks desu.
>>
>>68038257
making "relatable" characters is what ruins a lot of stories set in the past desu. Like half the time when a story is set in a medieval setting, we're not really supposed to be able to "relate", to the characters. They should have vastly different psychologies than what we have today, yet most of the time unskilled writers end up having a woman talking like a second wave feminist.
>>
the kid from unforgiven as the kid or paul dano???
marlon brando as the judge
someone rough as toadvine, maybe jeff bridges, he might be too comedic, someone in between jeff bridges and mickey rourke
>>
>>68033801
>No Country is apparently a picture perfect adaptation
No country was a much more realistic and straightfprward book, and the Coens were able to get away with copying it nearly word for word into a script. Blood Meridian is very stylized and expansive in a way that would be nearly impossible to capture on film without going Lawrence of Arabia tier (which we all know isn't going to happen).
>tarantula does violence well
We don't want a grim and serious story to turn into a FUCK YOU NIGGER HAW HAW HAW splatterfest
>>
File: 936427-james-franco.jpg (258 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
936427-james-franco.jpg
258 KB, 1536x2048
Did someone said they need a director for Blood Meridian?
>>
To really capture the brutality of some scenes they'd have to include gore, which could get a NC-17 or Unrated, which is suicide if they want the funding necessary to capture muh biblical expanse.

There's no chance an adaptation wouldn't turn into a watered down generic "action" movie.
>>
>>68038586
leave bookkino to me
>>
>>68038593
I honestly cant picture a mainstream film having an infant toddlers brains bashed agaisnt a rock just to make a point about violence desu. no way
>>
>>68033801

>pretty much the peak of "movies women won't understand"
>will either get feminazi'd or completely disregarded in today's hugbox culture

If they try to feminize Blood Meridian I'm going on a shooting spree.
>>
>>68038670
yfw the kid ends up bein a female instead
>>
>>68038670
>the kid is now a young girl
>>
>>68038715
>>68038725

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYKPdNvH800
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.