[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Star Wars movie sucked right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 299x168
I just wanted to check if I was alone in my opinion that the new Star Wars movie is total garbage.

The main character is the TV tropes definition of a Mary Sue:

The prototypical Mary Sue:
She's exotically beautiful, often having an unusual hair or eye color, and has a similarly cool and exotic name. She's exceptionally talented in an implausibly wide variety of areas, and may possess skills that are rare or nonexistent in the canon setting. She also lacks any realistic, or at least story-relevant, character flaws

The canon protagonists are all overwhelmed with admiration for her beauty, wit, courage and other virtues, and are quick to adopt her as one of their True Companions, even characters who are typically antisocial and untrusting (Han Solo for example)

Other than that, the canon characters are quickly reduced to awestruck cheerleaders, watching from the sidelines as Mary Sue outstrips them in their areas of expertise and solves problems that have stymied them for the entire series.

In other words, the term "Mary Sue" is generally slapped on a character who is important in the story, possesses unusual physical traits, and has an irrelevantly over-skilled or over-idealized nature.

I could point out the movies MANY other flaws such as the total lack of respect for Han Solo, the complete lack of innovative thinking on the part of the writers,and the arbitrary renaming of the major factions.

I feel like even Attack of the Clones which was so boring I don't think I've ever watched the whole thing more than once was 10x better than this, as while it was dull at least it didn't trample upon all previously established lore.

I thought the part with the guy with the vibro blade was cool, and the beginning, the very beginning with the pilot was alright, I was hoping that guy was going to play a larger part in the movie.
>>
>>68003844
You are alone. And wrong.
>>
File: 500x500.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
500x500.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
>TV tropes is your first reference

kindly kill yourself
>>
Yep JJ Abrams fucking sucks.
>>
>movie has the highest domestic box office of all time by a fucking mile
You're not alone, but you're definitely in the minority
>>
File: 1450679798745.jpg (349 KB, 900x470) Image search: [Google]
1450679798745.jpg
349 KB, 900x470
>>68003844
>total garbage
>TV Tropes
Tropes Are Tools, cunt.
>>
The whole meme about her knowing more about the Millennium Falcon than Han seems kinda off to me, she removed something that she presumably had some knowledge of already (given her statements about it), besides that all she did was fuck up pulling shit out of Hans freighter and mess around with some generic starship shit.

Don't get me wrong it makes very little sense how she would know about starships at all given that she was apparently on that planet her whole life and her only interaction with them was pulling shiny shit from old half demolished capital ships, let alone being able to fly one.
>>
File: 113.gif (62 KB, 387x291) Image search: [Google]
113.gif
62 KB, 387x291
> (Han Solo for example)

Didn't occur to OP that Han may have mellowed over the years especially given that his only son ran off to be a dick.

but hey!
Who am I to get between a /pol and his neckbeard edgy sexism.
>>
>>68004362

>that one reddit poster invoking the /pol/ boogeyman

xD
>>
>>68004014
Art is invention

The new star wars wasn't original
>>
>>68003844
"I don't like it because I'm 15 and everything popular I don't like" ~OP
>>
You know this is why Disney made the main characters a black guy and a woman, so that if anyone criticizes it they can just call them bigots.
>>
File: jarjar.jpg (23 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
jarjar.jpg
23 KB, 400x400
>>68003844
If you hated a movie, then you are never alone on /tv/

Also, is this fucking Max Landis again?
>>
The main problem with the movie is that it's a blatant copy and paste of episode 4 with some really stupid writing. After watching it in theaters I just felt disappointed that the movie added nothing new to the franchise.
>>
>>68003844
It's a good children's space fantasy opera chapter in a great space fantasy opera franchise.
Did it have elements and charm that, like previous instalments that made it just as appealing to adults? Absolutely not.
If you see the flaws and realise how poor it is, realise then too that you've outgrown it.
>>
I didn't suck but at the same time it didn't feel like a movie. It felt like a 2 hour Star Tours ride at Disneyland. Never stops moving, action-packed, with lots of recognizable things you love, but obviously lacking any real substance. It was really fun seeing it in the theater because of this, but I'm not quite sure how it'll play out when I watch it on Blu Ray inevitably.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.