[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Alien series >Ripley is awesome! >Terminator series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 251
Thread images: 41
File: wtfiswrongwithyoupeople.jpg (22 KB, 300x201) Image search: [Google]
wtfiswrongwithyoupeople.jpg
22 KB, 300x201
>Alien series
>Ripley is awesome!
>Terminator series
>The whole Sarah Connor thing is deep, but she kicks ass
>Kill Bill
>WOOHOO! THE BRIDE RULES!
>New Star Wars films
>UGHH!!! FUCKING SOCIAL SJW! I HATE YOU DISNEY! BITCH! BITCH! BITCH!!!!!!!

Seriously, wtf is wrong with you guys? Do you want a Michael bay version of Star wars, where the main girl is a dumb as fuck idiot who has J cup tits and runs in slow mow?
>>
>>68001777
>where the main girl is a dumb as fuck idiot who has J cup tits and runs in slow mow

But that doesn't describe any of the examples of female leads you're saying are popular.
>>
>>68001777
yes
>>
Maybe we just want a female lead who fits organically into the plot, acts like someone in that situation actually might, has both strengths and flaws, and isn't there for no other reason than to pander to a female audience.
>>
those films were good
>>
>>68001777
i just don't want propaganda pushed down my throat

Alien, Terminator, Kill Bill, in these movies it makes sense is not forced like in Star Wars

>inb4 how do you mean forced!
come on, you know is true and J.J's interviews confirm it
>>
File: 1460036469697.jpg (312 KB, 798x1181) Image search: [Google]
1460036469697.jpg
312 KB, 798x1181
>>68001777
How many of these threads are you going to make?
Ripley and Sarah Conner work because they A) Don't start off as pic related and B) Have muscle definition and/or are tall.
The new shitty YA female heroes are so forced and unbelievable
>>
>>68001840
this

Ripley wasn't a heroine, she was a space-truck driver. She didn't have military training or whatever, she was put in a shitty situation and had to use her wits to out-think the galaxy's most dangerous organism

Sarah Connor is the last person you'd suspect to be the mother of humanity's savior. She's a bumbling ditzy waitress who can't get her shit together. She's thrust into a dangerous situation and has to learn to fend for herself

Kill Bill is a revenge story where a woman fucks shit up against the people who killed her at her wedding.

Rey had zero flaws and no one gave a fuck besides the fact that they didn't tell us her backstory in the film. Everyone knows she's important, but the films haven't said why yet

No one fucking cares about Rey
>>
>>68001777
Ripley and Sarah Connor both go through a lot of character development to become badass. The Bride is a badass, but gets her ass kicked constantly, is shot in the head, and raped in a hospital.

Rey, on the other hand starts off as a super cool pilot, and she can easily fight off two grown men at the same time, and she can speak droid, and she can speak wookiee, and she can one shot stormtroopers with a pistol from a distance, and she can fight Kylo Ren off, and she can fix the Millenium Falcon, and she can do Jedi mind tricks so she never really needs anyone to help her break out, and she can outfly imperial pilots her first time flying, etc...
>>
>>68001777
movies with a female protagonist
>movies with gurl power sjw pandering mary sue bullshit

Spot the difference
>>
>>68001957
I see this image a lot and I never know which Half in the Bag its from
I really want to see this line in action
>>
>>68001777
this is some Reddit tier shit and I like the force awakens
>>
>>68001777
Maybe because Rey is unbelievably perfect and loved by everyone she meets, including the main villain. She has more in common with fanfiction protagonists than anyone you mentioned
>>
My biggest concern is that it looks way too much like The Hunger Games/Divergent/Mazerunner in space

but its just a teaser trailer fortunately
>>
>>68002026
this
>>
>>68002026
>main villain
okay now you're being just plain stupid
>>
>>68002025
stfu tumblr
>>
File: Rey Rey Sue.jpg (418 KB, 969x1030) Image search: [Google]
Rey Rey Sue.jpg
418 KB, 969x1030
>>68001777
>Alien
Ripley only lived because the writer thought the female being the sole survivor would be the most surprising outcome.
>Terminator
Sarah Connor was the very definition of a damsel in distress in the first film. By the second film she became a crazy doomsday prepper, and she had years to become the badass she was. It was totally in line with her character development.
>Kill Bill
it's stupid kung fu movie that emulates other stupid 70s movies. I won't defend it.

Rey is a completely unrealistic character who's perfect at everything, doesn't have any training, and can do everything better than everyone else. No character in Star Wars, not even "the chosen one" is as crazy good as Rey is at everything.
>>
I wouldn't even care about Rey being a super-powered and magically good at everything if she was a little better written and the antagonist wasn't a joke

It's like putting Superman up against a care bear villain. Where's the suspense? What do I have to look forward to?
>>
>>68002075
He obviously had a boner for her and wanted her to become his apprentice, will probably spend all of the time leading up to episode VIII whacking it to her
>>
>>68001840
/thread
>>
>>68001777
Damn, now I really Michael Bay to direct a Star Wars movie.
Thanks OP.
>>
>>68001777
OP is right.
Disney should hire Michael Bay.
>>
File: B30oLm9IUAAf2qg.jpg (39 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
B30oLm9IUAAf2qg.jpg
39 KB, 600x375
>>68001777
it's all reddit fault, the MRA victim culture comes from that shithole

Kill bill vol.2 2004
reddit 2005
>>
File: 1451189402536.png (329 KB, 562x878) Image search: [Google]
1451189402536.png
329 KB, 562x878
>stealing best girls name for your crap character
>>
>>68001840
Thread over
>>
>>68002433
>MRA
Using that word is a dead giveaway of a redditor.
MRAs are despised in 4chan.
>>
>>68001967
>04/08/16
Nicely put senpai 10 outta ten desu
>>
>>68001777
>Ripley and Sarah
>have plenty of flaws and we see them earn their way

>MarRey Sue
>I DONT NEED TO CIS WHITE MAN
>literally no flaws
>may as well be inspector gadget with her force ability
>>
>>68001777
Just hire Michael Bay already.
>>
>>68002439
This is perfect. Bland shit waifu roleplaying a bland shit waifu. Pottery.
>>
>>68001777
Michael Bay's version sounds great.
>>
>>68001777
The latter wasn't written well nor was she a good actor, dumb fuck.
>>
>>68002323
Why should he?
Please fuck off to tumblr you weeaboo trash.
>>
>>68001777

Those are all pre pol/MRA/GG era movies.

if Kill Bill came out this year /tv/ would be flooded with posts about how Tarantino is a cuck
>>
File: 1346554217249.png (414 KB, 538x600) Image search: [Google]
1346554217249.png
414 KB, 538x600
>>68001777
>>68001822
>>68002433
>>68002455
>>68002933
>>68003288
>>
>>68001777
>>Ripley is awesome

Parker, Dallas, and Brett were the most entertaining things about Alien. Hell, even Lambert was a better character than Ripley.

In Aliens, it was all about the Marines and the overwhelming numbers of xenos. The Ripley "mommy" scenes were pretty much cringe inducing.

>The whole Sarah Connor thing is deep, but she kicks ass

Arnie and Biehn carried the first film, and Arnie and Patrick carried the second one. Sarah Connors, as a character, was pretty lame in both.

>Kill Bill

The only people that liked that garbage are submissive betas and anime fags.
>>
>>68003416
Stfu horse cock sucking faggot
>>
File: Perfect.jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Perfect.jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
>>68001840
>>
>>68003288
Umm yeah no, casterate yourself faggot chan
>>
>>68001777
1. In Alien she wasn't a total bad ass. It's not like she was saving all the men on ship, or doing kung fu after looking at a pamphlet. In Aliens she kind of was a bad ass and we know why, she is the only one to have fought a xenomorph and lived. And her whole family died 100years ago. And she still needed to be couched by the bad guy to go.
Aliens III and the rest are garbage so I dont care.

2. Sarah has a similar arch to Rip, she wasn't a bad ass in T-1. She had to be constantly saved by Reese. She was a bad ass in T-2 as a result of T-1. And T-3 and the rest suck balls and aren't worth mentioning.

3. Kill Bill was gay.

Go suck a dick fag. SW could have followed Terminator and Alien (or even the OT and Luke) to set Rey to be a beloved bad ass, in stead they side stepped character development, why its so hard for you retards to understand it is beyond me.
>>
>>68003876
>kill bill is gay

Wow great supporting argument their.
You must get laid a lot huh champ?
>>
>>68003919
>>kill bill is gay

/shrug

Nothing more need be written, imo.
>>
>>68001957
What movie are they talking about?
>>
File: 1455908017612.jpg (64 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
1455908017612.jpg
64 KB, 408x408
>>68002107
why couldn't rey have looked like that
thats hot. like, really hot.
>>
>>68003876

Kill Bill was pretty good m80
>>
>>68002107
What about Aliens?

Dismissing Kill Bill as some stupid 70s kung fu movie is silly. That movie transcends the genre.
>>
>>68001777

All this SJW shitposting has been going on for years. The internet just blows all this extremism out of proportion. SJWs and misogynists are basically opposite sides of the same coin. There are times when the diversity agenda can get annoying, but no one has even seen the fucking movie yet.
>>
>>68004112
>Kill Bill was pretty good

It was hot garbage.

Chicks are totally unbelievable doing action flicks and look awkward as fuck throwing punches and kicks, which ruins their scenes, and the movies they're in.
>>
>>68001777
You just gave an example of really good female protagonist and are comparing them to prefect ones who are the best at everything the ones you mentioned had character development before becoming bad ass
>>
>>68003242
REEEEEEEEEE
REI IS PERFECT
>>
>>68001777

because thoes movies were originally made with female hero?
>>
>>68004145
The current shitposting argument is that it's old and therefore doesn't count.
>>68004305
Rei a shit, best girl is obviously Misato
>>
>>68004112
no it was shit. tarantion shouldn't write anything.
>>
>>68004145
kill bill don't transcend shit. it was terrible. there is nothing about kill bill. except lucy lu looked hot.
>>
>>68001777
none of those were mary sues you fucking faggot i bet you don't even understand what the fuck you're saying. go back to elementary fucking autist fuck
>>
>>68003876
Luke's just as bad in A New Hope. I mean, he's never even been off planet, and he outmaneuvers not only a bunch of trained TIE fighters, but also Anakin/Vader, a renowned pilot as noted by Obi Wan, in the trench run (in a ship he's never piloted before, it should be mentioned). He's also barely learned to tap into the force, scarcely able to block the training droid's lasers, and suddenly he can redirect a torpedo?

Rey has plenty of character development. A scavenger with solid technical knowhow to repair ships and pilot them makes complete sense, learning how to fight is a survival skill on a backwater planet like Tattoine or Jakku, and her learning to use the force is natural. She's clearly heard legends of jedi, so once she learns how to tap into the force, she starts to experiment and see if she can do the same stuff Luke could. Hell, she doesn't learn the jedi mind trick until after she fends off Kylo's mental assault, and she sucked at fighting with a lightsaber until she used the force.

If she had a dick, you wouldn't want to see her as weak in the first movie.
>>
>>68001777
Both Aliens and Terminator 2 even though are great action films are inferior than the original films of the respective series.
Kill Bill with the exception of the fight choreography, is a clusterfuck, especially the awful second movie. I don't think it's particularly popular in /tv/.
>>
>>68003751
>doesn't like based Bay's movie
>has the nerve to call others faggot

I bet you are a castrated tranny.
>>
>>68002019
I want to see it also. I'm going to go look for it real quick.
>>
>>68001777
Out of all the fucking options and situations involving a new Star Wars movie they chose a Luke Skywalker clone revamped as a female.
Like, I can stand young-adult films, but the scenes with Rey are literal "I DON'T NEED NO MAN IM GOOD AT EVERYTHING DESPITE BEING FUCKING ALONE IN THE DESERT SINCE I WAS A CHILD" and they are horrible to watch.
The only thing that kept me going was Finn.
Do you know why does no one complain about le black man in sw? BECAUSE HE ACTUALLY KNOWS HOW TO ACT.
>>
>>68001967
Thank you
>>
>>68004433
>Luke's just as bad in A New Hope.

>>loses a droid because he was a dumb ass
>>gets his kicked by sand people and has to be saved by Obi Wan
>>shows up too late to save his family
>>gets his ass kicked in a bar and has to be saved by Obi Wan....again
>>constantly being shit on for being a n00b by Solo
>>almost gets his ass kicked by Chewie for trying to handcuff him
>>has to have Obi Wan help him make his shot, and has to be saved by Han Solo from Darth Vader

Yea.....real Mary Sue there....
>>
>>68004329
>likes a slut

You're not allowed to have an opinion.
>>
>>68004368
>lucy lu
>hot
>>
>>68004776
>wanting an emotionless girl who can't even express her orgasms over an experienced WOMAN
Pfft.
>>
>>68004671
Do you think Rogue One is basically going to be ANH but just the part where they're in the Death Star undercover?
>>
>>68001777
Ripley wasn't awesome, only better by comparison, they made everyone else shit and put her in her underwear.
Sarah conner is good because she trains has faults and accepts them and quotes like "No fate but what we make", she's also on the run and tools do her bidding.
Haven't seen kill bill, I assume it has something to do with gore and her being raped or the baddy's deserving it or something.
Rey simply has god mode on, it's cartoonish.
>>
>>68004797
>wanting an experienced woman

Glad you're open about being a cuckold.
>>
>>68002019
>>68004613

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87HKe0ggt34
>>
>>68001777

>Alien series
>Believable heroine with believable motivation

>Terminator 2
>Overblown girl power character played by a person who overacts and ruins the whole film.

>Kill Bill
>Ridiculous cartoon superpower character

>Star Wars TFA
>Ridiculous Mary Sue that takes a giant dump on 30 years of Star Wars history

>Star Wars Rogue One
>Ridiculous LOL I'M A REBEL Mary Sue who weighs 100 lbs and beats up armored storm troopers.

There's no defending any of this. No valid rebuttal.

This is all true and you cannot refute it.
>>
File: youapedo.jpg (24 KB, 625x469) Image search: [Google]
youapedo.jpg
24 KB, 625x469
>>68004863
>>
>>68001777
Are you trying to say that before any of these feminist movements we had great female protagonist that we loved and SWJ's ruined that?

Because it's true
>>
>>68004914
Not the same guy but Rei a best girl, Asuka a shit. Misato okay.
>>
>>68004932
cool story bro.
>>
Ripley wasn't a mary sue, she always had a certain air of vulnerability around her and was well written

you know, unlike super badass girl Rey
>>
>>68001777

>>New Star Wars films
>>UGHH!!! FUCKING SOCIAL SJW! I HATE YOU DISNEY! BITCH! BITCH! BITCH!!!!!!!

The issue is not with the female lead its with the other characters. Making her a mary sue makes the empire and the other characters weak in comparison. If the other characters are so weak you know they are going to lose to Mary Sue then there is no suspense.

I mean how many of you expect a stormtrooper to beat one of these strong females? Not many so the truth is that all the scenes with her beating up the storm troopers are just bullshit for show. There is no suspense and no fear that she might lose so there is no connection to the character. After all god forbidden one of these strong female characters ever reached a low in their arc people would cry MISOGYNY
>>
>>68004433
>Rey has plenty of character development. A scavenger with solid technical knowhow to repair ships and pilot them makes complete sense, learning how to fight is a survival skill on a backwater planet like Tattoine or Jakku, and her learning to use the force is natural. She's clearly heard legends of jedi, so once she learns how to tap into the force, she starts to experiment and see if she can do the same stuff Luke could. Hell, she doesn't learn the jedi mind trick until after she fends off Kylo's mental assault, and she sucked at fighting with a lightsaber until she used the force.

She should've been shit at combat,
And shit at Piloting.
Just a REALLY skilled mechanic.
And good at running away and hiding because thats what she's been doing since she was a kid.
Wins solo over when she can point out things that have changed on his ship and troubleshoot it quickly and mechanically, That's her skill, from years of pulling apart engines, and the force "This circuit doesn't seem right, that would cause an overload".
During the Jakku escape evades the two Tie fighters by sheer luck/outside intervention, she should not have been a great pilot.
In combat, bests the droid stealing thing because she's bigger than it, and B8 flames it or something.
Cant aim for shit with the blaster. Shoots near troopers and runs away, using her small frame and nimbleness to slip through trees and over rocks quickly.
Escapes prison cell by Force moving an object, maybe the latch on her hand and cold clocking the storm trooper not suddenly mastering the mind trick.
Barely survives against Ryo because he's wounded. They should've played up how wounded he was, and his defeat was a team effort, Chewie shooting him, Finn slightly sabring him.

Next movie, Chewy's taught her to fly, Luke's taught her to Jedi. But still not a master.
And Poe has Taught Finn to fly a little bit, but he's not great. Still great at shooting though.
>>
Sarah Conner was useless in the first movie (like Luke) until the very end

She didn't become a badass until years of training (like Luke)
>>
>>68001777
Disney being shit has nothing to do with her.
>>
>>68001777
Check that Definition in those arms,
Linda Hamilton worked out, She trained hard. Learnt to pick locks, was trained in Firearms, Judo.
And her Character still struggled against burly orderlies. So she played to her strengths, And ambushed them one at a time.

What do we see in this new trailer? And keep in mind im trying to hold judgement back until the thing is actually out. But it just looks like super powered flinging troopers around.
I'd be more impressed if she was running up and doing some CQC thing with a blaster pistol stuck into the seams in their armor.

I also hated the samurai guy just flinging troopers around aswell. thats, similar kinda thing.
>>
>>68004073
salt
>>
>>68005848

meanwhile...
>>
>>68006807
She's worse than the TV Sarah. So disappointing.
>>
>>68006807

who even allowed this
>>
>>68004433
Luke does take on Vader, Han does. Luke is really assisted by his squad and then Han. He doesn't fly solo and if he did he would have been killed.
He shoots down some tie fighters in the millennium falcon, but that was because the empire wanted them to escape, they say as much in the film.

Luke's family has a space ship, "he says uke: I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16"
He isn't some slave, and he doesn't take on one of the most powerful Sith lords the first day he meets him.

Why is it so hard for fags to understand the difference between good characters and shit grul powder MarySues, please explain it to me because I'm reall curious about your guy's disorder.
>>
>>68006807
At least this one flopped.
>>
sorry but Alien shits all over fucking Star Wars
>>
>>68006996
Alien is great
Aliens is OK
Aliens 3 is bad
Aliens 4 makes the Star Wars prequels look like masterpieces.
>>
I dunno, I thought Rey was more believable than Anakin was in TPM
>>
>>68006915
It did pretty well in China so they have greenlit a sequel. Probably without Clarke and focusing more on Schwarzenegger.
>>
>>68001777
>ripley
struggling to survive against an implacable alien foe. survives on wit and quick decision, learning from her coworkers deaths how to escape the alien

>sarah conner
total pussy in terminator. after that realizes she needs to do everything possible to protect her son from the robot menace and groom him to be the leader of mankind against skynet and the machines. learns how to fight and handle weaponry

>kill bill
never really got into it so cant say

>TFA and rogue one
WOW THESE GIRLS ARE SO COOL THEYRE LIKE GREAT AT EVERYTHING THEYRE PRODIGIES WOW I LOVE THEM LOOK AT HOW BADASS THEY ARE. REY MAY NOT HAVE MUCH CHARACTERIZATION BUT DID YOU SEE HER DO ALL THAT COOL STUFF WOW THAT WAS GREAT. #TEAMREY
>>
>>68007076
/thread
>>
Those characters were built up we saw their progression.
They weren't bad ass right of the bat cept maybe kiddo. But she still got better and worked her ass off.
>>
>>68001777
>Alien series
It's good actor stars in good movie syndrom
>Terminator series
1. Damsel in distress
2. Supporting role
3. dead
4. dead
5. They never filmed fifth film, probably for better.
>Kill Bill
Re: Alien
>>
>>68001777
>ragging on Michael Bay

Sup reddit, ignorant as always I see.
Bay has a better filmography than JJ, and would probably make a better Star Wars, yes.
>>
>>68007058
Anakin pre vader was only good in clone wars.
The character they went for in the second and third move is unbearable.
>>
>>68004145
>Aliens
ripley had survived the alien, and came back to earth where her whole family had grown old and died while she was in stasis. now she lost her daughter. shes coerced to go with the marines as a lead since she knows the alien. then she finds newt and her motherly instincts go into overdrive since she already lost her daughter due to being frozen for a 100 years. this is played up and the whole ripley v alien queen is supposed to be smart. its one mother v another mother fighting for their children. she gets badass because she refuses to let the same thing happen to her crew by the aliens and to not let her surrogate child die.
>>
>>68005274
>just a really skilled mechanic

fucking this, if the only thing she really did extremely well was "bypass the converter" then it would be fine and it would fit with her character. instead shes a pilot/warrior/engineer/force user/hearthrob who can do no wrong
>>
>>68007176
As far as I'm concerned, the only Clone Wars is the Tartakovsky one
>>
>>68007207
And Han Solo offers her a job like five minutes after meeting her.
>>
File: 1458555565685.jpg (52 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
1458555565685.jpg
52 KB, 620x350
Sarah Connor wasn't a SJW.

Nobody fux with mai waifu.
>>
>>68007058
Are you an idiot? Anakin was at least flawed. He was a reckless hothead with psychological issues. He was also trained for like 12 years.
>>
>>68007217
tartakovsky is such a good cartoon creator i dont even understand how hes that good. hes a fucking savant at making cartoons. and theyre never completely stupid, theyre smart, well animated, and have breddy gud stories
>>
>>68001777
>where the main girl is a dumb as fuck idiot
Megan was mechanic.
>>
>>68007251
>Are you an idiot? Anakin was at least flawed. He was a reckless hothead with psychological issues.

He was a child less than half Rey's age, who won a podrace(which no human prior to him was capable of even racing, let alone winning), had a hot Jewess on his prepubescent dick, and blew up a space station the first time he sat in a cockpit of a real starfighter, all despite being a slave boy

There's also the whole matter of his VIRGIN BIRTH

Rey is no worse than this
>>
>>68007336
Agreed the prequels were shit, but its not the best defence.

Also didn't Anakin Jarjar his way to success in the spaceship? I assumed it was half luck half R2 really doing it.
>>
>>68001777
You lost me at Kill Bill, you actually thought that was good?
>>
>>68007336
>being a Jesus made of midichlorians
>spend half of his life podracing and building his own speeders
>when in a naboo fighter randomly pushing buttons to see what they can do until he finds the trigger
>huh it works
>>
>>68001777
Those are good because they're not forced. A female just suited the role.

>Sarah Connor, mother of guy who brings down robots
>Ripley, woman and xenomorphs are rapey so it fits the motif
>Kill Bill: fuck me I dunno
>Star Wars: woman snaps necks and is a better pilot than Han Solo because she's ??? female?
please
>>
>>68003501
b... but...... /tv/ is flooded with posts about how tarantino is a cuck.

did I just get b8'd?
>>
>>68007058
Rey is awful. Anakin in TPM is also awful. TPM is a shit movie. What's the argument here?
>>
>>68003576
>Sarah Connors, as a character, was pretty lame in both.

Not lame, just made too insignificant
>>
>>68007251
>>68007336
>>68007393
>>68007419
anakin was a really shitty character. reyfags who continually defend rey saying "oh but anakin did xyz" need to neck themselves. dont try to compare shit to diarrhea in the end theyre both fecal matter
>>
>>68007469
Rey is more believable than Anakin, she's not awful at all
>>
>>68001998
Your get is the year you should have been born before you posted on this site.
>>
>>68001967
>revenge story where a woman fucks shit up against the people who killed her at her wedding
She was a female assassin, though, not just someone who decided to become a killer after the murder.
>>
>>68006885
>implying TV Sarah was bad
Surely not fantastic, but far far from bad
>>
>>68007336
>Rey is no worse than this
She is. But nobody like little Anakin in the first place, everyone shat on the prequels.
>>
>>68001777
>Ripley was a no-name space technician who survived due to luck, at times was extremely fearful and afraid and eventually found courage in her own motherly qualities
>Sarah Connor is a PTSD-traumatised mental patient who struggles with her own anger and paranoia as she tries to make the best decisions for mankind's futures, at times doubting herself and acting rashly
>Rey is a quirky teen sandgirl with literally no flaws who can fly ships with no training and kick everyone else's ass effortlessly
>>
File: sarah connor Linda_Hamilton.jpg (52 KB, 1200x511) Image search: [Google]
sarah connor Linda_Hamilton.jpg
52 KB, 1200x511
>>68001777
>Sarah Connor
anything without Linda Hamilton is doomed to fail as has been clearly shown
>>
>>68007336
It wasn't his first podrace. Blowing up the station was pure luck.
>>
File: 1428046204193.gif (211 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
1428046204193.gif
211 KB, 480x320
Rey's issue is one which a lot of action film protagonists have nowadays; they're all so confident, competent and never in any real peril, so it becomes almost impossible to really relate or give a shit about them. Gone are the days of watching Ripley or John McClane get scared as shit and beat the fuck up, or to have serious interpersonal problems with people in their lives. Modern leading characters in these types of films can do everything, are effortlessly badass and everyone loves and respects them. And if someone doesn't then that person is portrayed as being wrong/evil/whatever.

There's a reason I preferred Finn and his scenes when compared to Rey; he actually struggled with things and had to get his ass saved and also had a proper character arc.
>>
>>68007724
this. you want to feel for your protags. rey doesnt make that happen. you want to be engaged and caught up in the story. with rey youre wondering how she'll escape or overcome. not fearing for her safety. i remember watching luke vs vader in ESB and saying "GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE"
>>
>>68003576
Pol tier response.
>>
File: 1459840047002.jpg (735 KB, 1257x1004) Image search: [Google]
1459840047002.jpg
735 KB, 1257x1004
>the absolute mad woman
Is there anything she can't do?
>>
>>68001777
I thought Kill Bill was terrible, just overall, nothing about the female main role in perticular.

It's very different from Alien/Terminator
>>
File: 1459411002175.gif (1 MB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
1459411002175.gif
1 MB, 320x213
>>68007828
>Pol
>>
>>68001840
Why wouldn't they want to pander to half the audience? Are you retarded?
>>
File: 1459929974966.gif (363 KB, 369x259) Image search: [Google]
1459929974966.gif
363 KB, 369x259
>>68007864
>half the audience
>>
>>68007707
>It wasn't his first podrace.

So what? He was like 9 years old and doing stuff that no other human could do

Rey spent 20ish years growing up in a scavenger colony, fighting to survive and learning the inner workings of machines and how to use them

The Force amplifies your natural talents, which is why the Skywalkers are naturally good pilots, since they seem to have a natural affinity for machines

Skywalkers also tend to get fucked up in the 2nd movies of their series(with Anakin holding a special distinction for getting his ass handed to him 2 movies in a row)
>>
>>68001777
>Do you want a Michael bay version of Star wars, where the main girl is a dumb as fuck idiot who has J cup tits and runs in slow mow?

literally yes
>>
Where are the jedis.
If you take out the lucas arts logo and the space destroyer and death star it seems like "generic revamped space movie 16"
>>
>>68001777
Maybe it's because Rey isn't awesome? To me she was bland as fuck with no redeeming quality, I was more invested in Poe and Finn than in Marey Sue.
>>
>>68007914
>>68007914
yea if you take out the tie fighters/star destroyers/xwings/lightsabers its a typical scifi channel movie

only reason this movie made a shit ton of money was nostalgia
>>
>>68007914
There are only 5 Jedi in the OT(6 if you count Leia being Force-sensitive, though she doesn't undergo any training)
>>
>>68007906
Fucking this.
>>
Why is every fucking new female lead a copypaste of either luck and han solo.
>>68007963
And they were the only thing that made star wars good.
If you take out the jedi star wars would be meaningless.
>>
>>68006807
Was she always so fat?
>>
>>68007993
>And they were the only thing that made star wars good.

But the prequel trilogy had tons of Jedis and it sucked
>>
>>68006912
Luke is a fucking Gary Stu, you only defend him because he's a man.
>>
>>68008004
shes been skinny fat most of the time, recently she went full chub
>>
>>68007864

>females

>half the action movie audience

devastating tumblr stupidity itt
>>
>>68007888
You haven't seen the star wars movies I take it? Luke failed at everything but the death star shot up to ep3
>>
>>68008029
luke got his ass kicked literally every movie. he had to be rescued every fucking movie
>>
>>68001777
No, we just want someone with some character development and flaws to relate with, not a person that is the absolute perfection at everything and everybody loves her because. You know, conflict and learning from mistakes make good characters.

Finn for the win.
>>
>>68001777
did she make a mistake in opting out of t3?
>>
>>68008029
You didn't watch the originals it seems

Luke is a whiny kid that knows nothing, gets his ass handled to himself several times and only blows the death start because Biggs, Wedge and ultimately Han save his asshole during the whole death start trench run several times.

Then proceeds to be asstomped by a wampa, to then learn the hard way the ways of the force, to lose hard against Vader, it's not till the last film where he's more mature and starts to be good, yet he isn't the one who defeats the Emperor.

Luke has character growth. You could have used Anakin from EI, that is a great example of Gary Stu, but again, nobody likes Anakin or the EI or the precuels.
>>
>all this hate on Kill Bill
Even if you hate it, Thurman character was a trained killer, like everyone else in the movie. She had a thick background full of combat and her motivation that kept her rolling was pure old fashioned revenge. Even if she was going over the top with her actions she was still struggling throughout her journey.
Besides, there are lots of real life stories of women doing incredible shit when their children are involved. It's top tier motivation for a strong character.

Ripley and Connor are already touched in the thread.

This "Rey is not Mary Sue" meme needs to end though. Explaining her skills in the second movie would be a low blow since no one actually acknowledged or consciously questioned Rey's exceptional abilities in the first one and doing it in the second movie is just damage control.
>>
>>68008025
>implying
What made the prequels shit was the anakin-padme focused storyline.
The scenes in II and III are awesome, being the jedi purge of order 66 the best battle scene of the trilogy.
>>
>>68001777
I really want the Michael Bay version...
>>
File: 1434645222664.jpg (76 KB, 471x470) Image search: [Google]
1434645222664.jpg
76 KB, 471x470
>>68003566
>>
>>68001777
Ripley is not a soldier.
Sarah Conner is not a soldier.
The Bride is not a soldier.

We're to believe that this woman is a soldier.

That's the difference. Bitch,
>>
File: 132418897426.jpg (25 KB, 261x284) Image search: [Google]
132418897426.jpg
25 KB, 261x284
>comparing movies to YA shit
>>
File: 4556920-5458189397-Selen.jpg (54 KB, 600x422) Image search: [Google]
4556920-5458189397-Selen.jpg
54 KB, 600x422
>>68001777
How about some Selena Please?
>>
>>68008145
>What made the prequels shit was the anakin-padme focused storyline.

And cramming the movie with more goofy characters that make Ewoks look good by comparison, like Jar-Jar or those Chinese aliens or Dexter Jettster
And boring space politics
And pissing on the entire concept of the Force
And cramming in other characters like Chewbacca

The only criticism of TFA is basically "women aren't allowed to be badasses"
>>
>>68008241
>The only criticism of TFA is basically "women aren't allowed to be badasses"

& pretty much being A Renewed Hope.
>>
File: kill yourself.png (829 KB, 1287x745) Image search: [Google]
kill yourself.png
829 KB, 1287x745
>>68008241
>The only criticism of TFA
>>
>>68008264
I'm okay with another ANH if it means we get another Empire Strikes Back
>>
File: 1330282797235.jpg (3 KB, 126x124) Image search: [Google]
1330282797235.jpg
3 KB, 126x124
>>68008241
>Anakin is whiney & emo lol!
Kylo Ren literally throws goth kid temper tantrums through-out the flick
>REAL HUMAN BEAN
>>
i like when she did a magical backflip so stupid duh as if stressful situations and awakening the force in you suddenly means you cant do magical backflip and be a powerful force user

but we're all ok with luck suddenly learning the force to get his lightsaber on hoth and doing backflips on dagoba
>>
File: 1454698037808.jpg (110 KB, 634x753) Image search: [Google]
1454698037808.jpg
110 KB, 634x753
>>68008277
You can get away with remaking ANH, but remaking ESB is a totally different beast.
>>
>>68008029
No. Invite a bunch and actually watch OT before trying to talk about them, they are good.

Also stop with the Gary-Sue, its not even a name. That shit isn't clever.
>>
>>68008241
No.
TFA is a ctrl+c ctrl+v of a new hope but without the lead character having room for developing other than "yaaah dudee im a strong orphan I don't need no help from any of you I rock dudee".
Also the characters are not even slightly as likeable as han solo, luke, obi wan or leia.
Heck, even I miss fucking qui gon jin.
Also Kylo Ren is a joke of what is supposed to be Darth Caedus.

>Darth Caedus
>Falls to the dark side by the death of his brother anakin solo
>Gaylo Ren
>"DUDE LOL I was a jedi but im rly bad now I killed my dad uknow?"
>>
I'm just tired of seeing this white female black male shit. Leftists think subverting media and forcing a diverse cast will make us a more racially tolerant society. It makes me uncomfortable not because the cast is diverse, I've had no trouble enjoying media with black people in the past, but it makes me uncomfortable now because I know they're essentially trying to brainwash people.
>>
>>68008326
Just as long as Rey gets her ass kicked, like a true Skywalker
>>
>>68008326
>iconic duel between luke and darth vader
>now it's emo teenager versus mary sue
Gee, I wonder who will win
>>
>>68008395
You are literally okay with Disney doing that seriously?
>>
>>68008442
POETRY
>>
>>68008455
No. Lucas knows poetry. Disney knows only rehashes & empty nostalgia.
>>
>>68008388
>88
>>
File: 1457920649670.jpg (30 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1457920649670.jpg
30 KB, 649x649
>>68008499
>Lucas knows poetry
>>
>>68008532
Was there an echo? Take Notes, Jar Jar Abrams. Might have to minimize the cuck porn you're currently watching when learning from a master of poetry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ZW1gtCljs
>>
>>68008526
is that a dude?

would smash
>>
File: 1451078708933.png (235 KB, 390x401) Image search: [Google]
1451078708933.png
235 KB, 390x401
>>68008574
>Jar Jar Abrams
>>
>>68007529
and she killed for her child
>>
>>68008388

Are you sure you aren't being influenced by another media, mainly /pol/, and that's why it's started bothering you now?

It's not like hollywood has only been liberal in the last few years, it's just that that's when you started taking the politics board on an anime website seriously.
>>
>>68001840
There are tons of male characters like this in movies too, yet no one complains. Maybe the problem isn't sjwing but shitty character writing in general?
>>
>>68008621
That's right. Now go back to remaking ESB like everyone expects you to, Jar Jar Abrams.
>>
>>68008645
4chan hasn't been an anime website for many years
>>
File: 1458978987464.jpg (96 KB, 800x437) Image search: [Google]
1458978987464.jpg
96 KB, 800x437
>>68008663
You're just mad that the prequels are to Star Wars what MoS and BvS are to cape flicks

Anti-Disney DCucks BTFO
>>
>>68008687
Well, 2003 was only 13 years ago.
>>
>>68004894
Where in the video is this? Also, I had completely forgotten that Jay looked like this
>>
File: 1386817948533.gif (569 KB, 162x152) Image search: [Google]
1386817948533.gif
569 KB, 162x152
>>68008690
>A-Anyone that dislikes Nu-male Wars D-DCuck.
>literally bringing up other companies out of thin air.
Whew fucking doggie. Run along now little one & enjoy your shallow franchise cash-in.
>>
>>68008645

The only difference from the past and now is that I recognize the underhanded and dishonest way this multiculturalism is injected in the media. The only thing /pol/ has done is brought it to my attention, I would have never have known that writers and producers for the BBC actually get more funding for their shows if they include more black actors for example.

If I went back in time and tried to watch a lot of old shows it probably would bother me more because I have this knowledge I didn't have when I first watched it.
>>
>>68008755
>defends the prequels
>thinks he isn't a cuck

How does it feel knowing that TFA ignored the prequels entirely and was better for it?
>>
>>68008806
>ignored the prequels

Except the First Order brought up Clone Troopers, something that wasn't a concept until the prequels (ANH just says Clone Wars which like RLM pointed out could have meant something like cloned monsters)
>>
>>68001840
please describe how the cunt was shoehorned in Rogue One when you don't know the fucking plot you cringey neckbeard
>>
File: 1396106063074.png (620 KB, 926x716) Image search: [Google]
1396106063074.png
620 KB, 926x716
>>68008806
>How does it feel knowing that TFA ignored the prequels entirely and was better for it?

Except they didn't, Cuckaroo.
>>
>>68008856
The Clone Wars is mentioned in the OT, so mentioning clone troopers isn't specifically referring to the PT, nor is cloning in general

You can leave out 1-3, watch 4-7, and the story is still coherent
>>
>>68008920
>I can point to a split second shot in TFA that vaguely references the prequels, in my opinion.
>>
>>68009025
Nice backtracking faggot.
>>
>>68008920
Except they did

Not a single person, event, or location that's unique to the PT is mentioned
>>
File: 1402450150032.jpg (27 KB, 400x532) Image search: [Google]
1402450150032.jpg
27 KB, 400x532
>>68009025
>I can close my eyes and cover my ears while screaming over the movie just to say the prequels weren't acknowledged.
>>
>>68009109
m8 they don't even acknowledge the fucking special edition OT that had some stuff from the PT crammed in there

That's how much they don't acknowledge the PT
>>
>>68004863
That isn't what cuckhold means.
>>
File: 1372462773546.gif (2 MB, 254x275) Image search: [Google]
1372462773546.gif
2 MB, 254x275
>>68009147
Ewan McGregor was literally in TFA with that dream sequence. You can backpedal full force now.
>>
>>68009206
>Ewan McGregor was literally in TFA with that dream sequence.

Obi-Wan is a character from the OT
>>
>>68009206
The other guy was existentially unavailable.
Also see >>68009025
>>
>>68008857
>don't know the plot
You know it's based off a comic book.
They just took the story and changed the lead character to a female.
>>
File: 1444561585105.jpg (7 KB, 240x232) Image search: [Google]
1444561585105.jpg
7 KB, 240x232
>>68008740
>only 13 years ago.
>>
>>68008029
(YOU)
>>
File: 1359193929256.gif (1 MB, 200x118) Image search: [Google]
1359193929256.gif
1 MB, 200x118
>>68009234
>>68009310

Ewan McGregor was in the prequels, you know, those awful movies that Disney never wanted to acknowledge but did just by calling him in to recite "Rey" & his old line in that other last movie he did? Disney could've easily hired anybody to be Obi-Wan & still can if they deem it so.

The debate here was if Disney acknowledged it at all and the goal post changed to "at all" to "how much."

Atleast when Lucas stole shit, he stole from the best. Jar Jar Abrams is cannibalizing Star Wars itself, he is the true hack here.
>>
>>68001840

What about men in action movies? Would you complain about Schwarzenegger in Commando, a one man army? It is as unrealistic as a woman wrecking everyone.
>>
File: 1457446781607.jpg (10 KB, 252x244) Image search: [Google]
1457446781607.jpg
10 KB, 252x244
>>68001777

>"it's a rebellion, I revel"

Literally the single worst dialogue I've ever heard, it's delving deeper and deeper into teenaged shit.

>ninjas

This one wtfd me the most, it didn't feel like a star wars piece for the first half of the trailer
>>
>>68009147
Well JJ's goal was to steal from ANH, why would he steal from anything else?
>>
>>68007613
True. I feel like she's just as important as Arnold.
>>
>>68008751
about 6-7 minutes in
>>
T1/2 and Alien/s clearly had women in the roles, the limitations and flaws were related to them being women, they struggled had flaws but were able to survive and learn.
Rey is written in a way to hit you over the head that she's a badass and we are flipping the tables. She overcomes every situation fairly easily and is great at everything. It was crystal clear that they were shoving the stronk woman trope in when Finn tries to help her in a fight and LOL SHE DONT NEED NO HELP FROM A MAN, STOP HOLDING MY HAND I AM A CAPABLE STRONG WOMAN.
>>
>>68001777

It's almost like characters aren't praised simply for being female and competent. Shocking.
>>
>>68009497
I thought they sampled parts of Alec Guinness's lines from ANH and got Ewan to fill in a few words?

Seems like they really really tried to distance themselves from the PT as best as they could, short of resurrecting Alec Guinness from the dead
>>
>>68009658
>It's almost like characters aren't praised simply for being female and competent

A competent female is too hard to believe, I agree
>>
I never saw Ripley or Sarah Conner physically beat up multiple men at the same time. Rey is a woman pretending to be a man.
>>
>>68008857
>I rebel

That line literally told us more than the whole shitfest of 2 hours could ever tell.
>>
Ripely and and Linda Carter's Conner look like they could choke you out. Felicity Jones is a cute 90 pound girl beating up a group of half a dozen armored soldiers.
>>
Disney marketers in full effect
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 490x306) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 490x306
Call me when Jyn Arsehole has arms like Linda Carter
>>
File: aliens5.jpg (731 KB, 1280x693) Image search: [Google]
aliens5.jpg
731 KB, 1280x693
Ripley was a woman that acted like a woman. Rey is a woman that acts like a man.

I don't buy this tough orphan junk salvaging act. Women don't work in junkyards pulling parts out of vehicles in real life so it doesn't make any sense to see it in a movie. In our world women are protected so they don't need to learn how to fight so it doesn't make any sense to see a woman beat up a gang of men that are trying to rob her. If Star Wars were real life Rey would have ended up in some sort of space brothel, and she should have. It would have been more realistic and interesting but most of all relateable. We could have seen how that sort of life shaped her and made her a strong woman but instead we got a man in a woman's body.

I can relate to Ripley because she's realistic.
>>
>>68010995
You're complaining because Star Wars isn't realistic.
>>
>>68001822
I mean take that J down to a D or a G up and I think you'd be set up for a good action/comedy film.
>>
>>68011444

Right. I can't relate on any level to an orphan girl that makes a living by herself salvaging parts where she's also capable of beating up men and winning sword fights.
>>
Jesus Christ this thread....
>>
>>68007724
This is why John Wick was such a breath of fresh air.

He has the aura around him that he's dangerous as fuck but where the film picks up we see him at his weakest point both emotionally and martially.

His wife has just died of some unknown disease, his old life is long forgotten but his wife's death (the reason he did the big "impossible" job just to be with her and get out of that life) has brought up these sour memories but thankfully his wife gave him one last parting gift.

A puppy - a symbol of their love and something to continue to take care of so he doesn't return to a life of violence.

And some Russian dude bro takes it from him.

I'm watching that movie again tonight.
>>
>>68004112
Ever since QT spoke against corrupt cops in his free time /poltv/ has got a vendetta against his career
>>
>>68001777

Sarah Connor was waitress, she is victim in first movie and then spent years to train as fighter before second movie.
>>
File: 1366403807652.gif (3 MB, 270x365) Image search: [Google]
1366403807652.gif
3 MB, 270x365
>>68001777
I wanted Nicole Kidman to be a female lead in a Star Wars movie but the timing was wrong...oh well.
Rey is literally going to throwing galaxies around next time we see her if she continues on the learning curve from TFA
>>
Rey isn't an SJW character, she's just a shit character. If she was a white male she'd also be a shit character.
>>
>>68001777
>I rebel
>>
>>68001998
Well, like a young Luke
>>
>>68002107
>>68004083
That looks more like MEW than Ridley.
>>
File: 1460107456095-tv.gif (3 MB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
1460107456095-tv.gif
3 MB, 500x280
>>68001998
Agree

But why are people complaing about Rogue One protag being a girl? I mean, shes just a an average joe rebel fighter. But if protag was a ass kicking ninja rebel, and a guy, would be people complain?

Whats with the whole pandering to SJW Shit
>>
>>68009501
no it isnt
>>
>>68011696
HHHHnnnnngggg
>>
>>68007336
>had a hot Jewess on his prepubescent dick
I never got how this worked. How did Anakin suddenly catch up to Padme in age?
>>
>>68011696
*BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRP*
>>
>>68001840
>pander to the female audience

>literally 50% of the population

dude what?
>>
>>68007336
he also build an android from scratch. I can only assume this includs programming the thing and all
>>
>>68001777

Apples and Oranges mate.

There's a difference between legitimately tough female characters and young cutesy cunts who are forced down our throats for social change.
>>
>>68007864
>>68012471

Right, because 50% of the audience demographic of a Star Wars movie is going to be female.

Fuck off you dense retards. Why pander to women? The majority are more interested in fucking Chad, handbags and money. Women are vapid troglodytes, do you really think that women are interested in a man's space opera fantasy? Fuck off there's no reason to pander to 50% of the world's population you retards. It's just SJW culture marxist agenda influencing pop culture in the 21st century.
>>
File: yep.gif (2 MB, 235x240) Image search: [Google]
yep.gif
2 MB, 235x240
>>68001840
>>
>>68012591
i assume it was sort of how ahmed built the clock
>>
star wars ep 7 had a female lead. she is basically just a skinny male character that just happens to have a vagina. you can take her and exchange her for a skinny male dweeby looking guy and the ENTIRE story would not change in any significant manner

that's the fucking thing everyone is complaining about, not female leads, everyone loves sarah connor and ellen ripley, because they actually have a fucking character. all these Stronk Female leads don't, they are just shoved in there to cater to a female audience
>>
File: 960.jpg (30 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
30 KB, 960x540
Liked her more than Ripley and Connor.
>>
>>68013154
that's kind of cheating, most people here are complaining about female leads in action movies, not thrillers/dramas
>>
>>68001777
>UGHH!!! FUCKING SOCIAL SJW! I HATE YOU DISNEY! BITCH! BITCH! BITCH!!!!!!!

This is something you project onto others. Probably because you hate women, because you're a "good little feminist" for many years now but no one still wants to touch you.

Fuck off
>>
>>68012643
>Waaaaah why can't I get laid!!!!
>>
>>68013290
pic related it's OP
>>
>>68013290
>this is something you project onto others
see
>>68012643
>>
>>68001840

What are the actual chances she will just be another Mary Sue though? They wouldn't pull that twice, right?
>>
>I don't like the movie because of everything except the female lead
>OMG SEXIST
>>
>>68002107

That pic actually makes me wonder how they handled the Chewbaka lines in the novels. Did he ever appear and did people just have one sided conversations with him grawling?
Thread replies: 251
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.