[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Friends still think Rey isn't a Mary Sue Help me deal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7
File: CXLXTriUQAA32Om.jpg large.jpg (65 KB, 599x588) Image search: [Google]
CXLXTriUQAA32Om.jpg large.jpg
65 KB, 599x588
>Friends still think Rey isn't a Mary Sue

Help me deal with those plebs /tv/
>>
The thing is, if in the next movie we find out she was trained and then got mind wiped, it would negate her mary sueness
>>
>>68002998

this

movies are garbage now
>>
File: luke.jpg (62 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
luke.jpg
62 KB, 500x667
>>68001205
>"Inicially annoyed Han and Leia with his naivete and innocence"

Why would people be annoyed with Luke pureness?
>>
>>68001205
Because she isn't, get over it.
>>
>>68002998
That only covers the force training part, there's no way some little 5 year old learned how to pilot ships and speak multiple languages.
>>
>>68002998
She was on that planet since she was a super young kid. How much training could she have had?
>>
>>68003457
She IS right now, BUT she might not be in the future.
>>
>>68001205
it a first movie of trilogy.
>>
>>68003457
>I'm a girl and I have no argument: the post
>>
>>68001205
The only thing about the Millenium Falcon she knew more about was the shit Unkar added to it.
>>
>>68001205
How can anyone take you seriously when you use an image like that? The movie is out now, there's no excuse to have that many errors in it.

I don't doubt that Rey is a Mary Sue, but I question the motives of the people pushing it so hard that they use lies or are willing to believe lies and regurgitate them to others.
>>
>>68003623
>that many errors in it

for example?
>>
Just finished the steaming pile of shit that is TFA

that last lightsaber battle was....fucking retarded

>also

anyone else catch the finnxpoe homo vibe?
>>
>>68003502
so why is she already able to beat the bad guy?
>>
>>68003677
>anyone else catch the finnxpoe homo vibe?

The entire internet.
>>
File: triggered.jpg (36 KB, 600x685) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
36 KB, 600x685
>>68003481
this annoyed the hell out of me

>omg i pulled parts out of star destroyers so obviously i understand the falcon better than its owner and shield generators and shit on a space station i didn't even know existed

>also i can fight better than the guy who has been training for like a decade and fly better than poe or anyone else in the movie

seriously???
>>
>>68001205
>Speaks Droid and Wookie
Everyone speaks those. Luke didn't need C3PO to translate, he demonstrated in the next movie that he could understand R2D2 just fine.

Finn couldn't speak Wookie because the First Order is xenophobic and doesn't see the point in Storm Troopers understanding alien languages.
>>
>>68003481
The force allows people to more easily understand and communicate in different languages.
At leats it did in the old canon, no idea if they're gonna use it here though.
>>
>>68003767
>and fly better than poe or anyone else in the movie
Did you forget the scene where Poe takes out half a dozen Tie Fighters and a handful of stormtroopers on the ground in under a minute? Rey doesn't demonstrate any piloting ability even near that.
>>
>>68003773
finn couldn't speak droid and the empire uses those

also don't forget she knows space arabic or whatever the towelhead who was trying to steal the soccer bot was speaking
>>
>>68003804
>Rey doesn't demonstrate any piloting ability even near that

>forgetting the star destroyer scene

she flew in a more agile manner in a smaller space with a larger slower ship

poe was going full pew pew airshow on tie fighters thats were practically sitting duck attacking someone else
>>
>>68002998
>Write entirely new script
>Retroactively un-sue a character after people point out her overpoweredness
>See guiz there's a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why she has literally no flaws you sexists
>>
It's fucking Star Wars, stop sperging out
>>
>>68003958
people have been sperging out over starwars for longer than you've been alive lad
>>
>>68002998
>if in the next movie we find out she was trained and then got mind wiped

That would make it even worse.
>>
Luke Skywalker, the Rey edition

>Luke is an independent young man who doesn't listen to his aunt or uncle
>when he first meets R2D2, the droid follows him around like a lost puppy and is completely loyal
>when he goes searching for Obi-Wan, he is attacked by tusken raiders but easily defeats them
>at the cantina, when the two convicts attack Luke, he beats them up before Obi-Wan can intervene to help
>when escaping from Mos Eisley, Luke takes control of the Falcon from Han and demonstrates astounding piloting skills evading the Imperial blockade
>Han is extremely impressed with Luke and asks him if he wants a job
>on the Death Star, Luke leads the rescue himself, using Jedi mind tricks and expert marksmanship to befuddle and defeat dozens of storm troopers
>almost immediately upon meeting Luke, Leia asks him if he has a boyfriend and can't stop touching him or gazing at him longingly
>during the attack on the Death Star, Luke breaks formation to engage in a one on one dogfight with Vader, defeating him and crippling his TIE fighter and then rescuing the beleaguered Rebel pilots, and finally destroying the Death Star. Han shows up only to congratulate him
>>
>>68003649
Can you read that list under Rey and not find a single factual error? Some of these will be issues with misleading language, but there are outright inaccuracies too.

Rey beats up two guys by herself, half the number there.

She knows more about a single part on the Falcon that was installed after Han lost possession. While not technically wrong, the phrasing implies that she knows flat out more about the Falcon than Han. It's misleading and dishonest.

Her flying the Falcon is not her first time flying. "I've flown some ships but never left the planet."

She isn't instantly skilled at lightsaber fighting, that implies she's good for no reason. Kylo fights her back to a cliff. What changes is that she lets the force guide her, which is all it ever took to use the force in the OT. Even if you think that's bullshit, the force is still a reason you have to call bullshit and can't skip that just to say she's instantly skilled. Again, the language says one thing that appears above the board but the implication is horse shit.

And here's the real evidence for the misleading language, "Is instantly knowledgeable about [force powers]." There's that word again, "instantly."
That's flat out wrong, she only uses these power after having them demonstrated on her. Yoda's biggest lesson to Luke in teaching him the extent of his powers is showing him you can lift an X-Wing. You don't need to know the 'trick' to a certain force power, there's no list of steps, no secret technique or stance to use them. It's always been about believing you can do something and letting the force flow through you.

And the third use of instantly and it just comes across as trying too hard. At this point it should have set off suspicions in your mind about the intent of the image. She's got Luke's lightsaber, she might be connected to Luke in some way. That's certainly implied. But more importantly Chewbacca is fucking there. Are you gonna tell me Leia doesn't trust Chewie to find Luke?
>>
>>68003864
>she flew in a more agile manner
Wrong, what's your support for this?

>in a smaller space with a larger slower ship
Not a tighter space. Poe had to close his S-Foils to get into the crack, the Falcon had extra room above and below it through the Star Destroyer. And if anything piloting fast is more difficult than piloting slow, less time to react.
>>
>>68004197
If you really believed in your argument you wouldn't have to stretch it so much anon. It makes it look like you're trying to convince yourself of your own position.
>>
>>68001205
She couldn't speak Wookie, I can't remember if she could speak Droid but she might ve picked that up on Jakku, and I'm pretty sure she's Luke's daughter which Leia force sensed and decided to give them a little father daughter time
>>
>>68003342
jealousy
>>
>>68001205
Explain the "Monomyth" to them, it often consists of a character developing. Also, the reason why many people like Luke is his transition of becoming a bad ass throughout the series.
>>
>>68002998
Are people literally this thick? The problem with her being a Sue isn't that it's unexplained. It's that it makes her a boring character.
>>
>>68001205
>Beats up 2 guys after spending her life fending for herself in a hostile environment
>Knows about the mods done which Han would have no fuckign idea about
>She literally says she has flown a few ships
>Was terrible at using a lightsaber, kept thrusting it awkwardly at him and got her ass kicked. Only wins because she calms herself and uses the force to focus
>It's obvious she is being guided and has prior knowledge of the force
>True, they did barely know her, but Chewbacca could vouch for her
>It will probably be explained later on
>She seems like a nice girl
>>
>>68003818
She grew up on a planet full of aliens and some droids. Of course she would pick up some language skills.
>>
>>68002998
>trained toddler better than anyone ever
Ok
Did they give her a tiny lightsaber to train spinning and high ground?
>>
>>68002998
I thought about this too ... but if that's the case, they should've explained that in the movie, not in another movie (that I'm not gonna watch)
>>
>>68003707
Maybe because the bad guy had a gaping wound in his side?

Luke might not be a Mary Sue but Anakin sure as hell was.
>>
File: 1460066964214s.jpg (5 KB, 125x124) Image search: [Google]
1460066964214s.jpg
5 KB, 125x124
Autistic Manchildren: The Thread
>>
>Leia, instead of hugging Chewie who lost his best friend and comfort each other, he totally ignores him and goes hug a, for her, random girl
Trully spacekino
>>
>>68006040
they specifically set up that she can speak Wookie because the plan is to have her, John and Chewie on the Falcon like the OT cast. it's totally contrived.
>>
>>68006087
>Luke might not be a Mary Sue but Anakin sure as hell was.
You're saying that like we don't know it already or something
>>
>>68006087
You mean the guy that lost 4 limb and wear a mask?
>>
>>68002998
No it just makes the fact they stole a plot point from Kotor even more pathetic
>>
>>68002998
It wouldn't.
>>
>>68006253
No, that's Vader, one is well developed as a character, the other is a whiny mary sue special snowflake chosen one faggot
>>
>>68006182

butthurt reyfag: the post
>>
>>68006282
But the thing is you can't be a Sue if you're a whiny faggot that everybody hates.
>>
File: 245678909876000.webm (3 MB, 1216x520) Image search: [Google]
245678909876000.webm
3 MB, 1216x520
>>68003342
It's human nature to react harshly towards cute and innocent things.
>>
>>68006334
We the viewers hate him, but in the movies everybody loved him
>>
>>68003773
>Luke didn't need C3PO to translate

Yes he did, he didn't speak droid in ANH and may have just picked up on cues during the span between that and ESB. Most of the time it seemed more like he was talking to R2 the same way we talk to pets.
>>
>>68006337
Why didn't those two autists just try to rape Luke?
>>
>>68006209
Had they met at all before this point? This bothered me so much, they even included Chewie walking right past her what the hell.
>>
>>68006209
>>68006419
>Chewie is shown right after choosing to be alone in the base, grieving away from the celebration
I can't believe JJ even bothered to comment on the Leia thing.
>>
>>68004400
>people like this exist
why
>>
>>68007205
Take or leave my gripes with misleading language, I pointed out three clear inaccuracies in the image. I'm not here for the Mary Sue or Not game, I just set out to show the image has errors in it.

Why would you even want to use erroneous support for your argument? It makes your argument look weaker.
I still think Rey is a Mary Sue, but I don't need to exaggerate or outright lie to support that position. TFA does that well enough when you accurately represent it. Images and arguments like OP make us all on the 'Mary Sue' side of this debate look like actual /r9k/ permavirgins that just hate women.

Why do people like you exist, people that think pointing out factual errors is a bad thing to do just because it doesn't side with your argument?
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.