[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I finally get why this movie sucks now It was made for the mainstream
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7
File: tfa.jpg (10 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
tfa.jpg
10 KB, 300x168
I finally get why this movie sucks now

It was made for the mainstream everyday normal person that has a casual understanding of what star wars is, the main objective to -enterain- this person for 2 hours

rather than, the main objective of continuing the lore and expanding the star wars universe, which would risk alienating and confusing casual moviegoers

Take for example A New Hope: that movie introduces the idea of "the clone wars" in a throwaway line. A line like that would have never made it in TFA since modern design-by-focus-group philosophy would kill it due to it potientially confusing the average ADHD moviegoer or child
>>
It's less of a genre film than the OT. It feels like an early Speilberg movie tbqh
>>
Ok
>>
>>67998016
>movies are made to entertain
>TFA focused more on its own characters/conflict than filling in every blank since RotJ
>completely fallacious statement about how TFA isn't allowed throw away line world building because muh evil corporations even though that's exactly how it explains the relationships between the republic, resistance, and first order
This post is worth one quarter portion.
>>
>>67998082

>feels like an early Speilberg movie tbqh

I would agree if the TFA was the only star wars movie and the first 6 episodes never existed

to me it felt like one of those "greatest scenes" clip shows that sitcoms used to have in the 90's
>>
>>67998308
>even though that's exactly how it explains the relationships between the republic, resistance, and first order

provide one example, scavenger scum

How they never explained what Snoke is or how he rose to power? Snoke was hardly just a guy mentioned in a throwaway line
>>
>>67998016
I think that fedora may be on a bit too tight there, champ.
>>
>>67998016
you're right OP
>>
>>67998588
with my post here:
>>67998606
The number of posters increased from 5 to 6....So who's samefagging?

My guess is:
>>67998308
>>
>>67998588
that's because it's your fedora
>>
>"It was made for normies."
I swear, 4chan has become Hot Topic at this point.
>>
>>67998674
>>67998588

>get called a fedora
>i cant think of a witty comeback
>anon comes to rescue
>>
>>67998716
>'n-no you' is a witty comback
underage b&, pls go
>>
File: hux speech.jpg (89 KB, 482x306) Image search: [Google]
hux speech.jpg
89 KB, 482x306
>>67998556
Did you even watch the movie? This was literally yelled at the audience.

I have no idea what you're trying to say about Snoke or imply that I said about him.

The Star Wars movies are influenced by serials right? You don't need all the info setting up every little thing, an opening text crawl gives you most of it and characters give single lines explaining the shit you need to know. No one needs to know how Snoke rose to power, just that he's in power. This is the mistake the prequels made.
>>
>>67998746

>if i reply using epic memespeak like 'b&' and 'pls go' people will think im rad
>>
File: wrong asshole.jpg (83 KB, 517x585) Image search: [Google]
wrong asshole.jpg
83 KB, 517x585
>>67998656
Paranoid delusions. Not only is it not me, someone having two posts in one thread doesn't automatically make them a samefag. Anon probably responded to OP, then to me in a different post.
>>
>>67998866
you mad bro?
>>
>>67998588
>>67998674
>something something fedoras
>something something katana

lemme guess; next you're going to start saying people are from /pol/ right?

>another thread derailed

congrats, mission accomplished!
>>
>>67998823

how is that even close to being like mentioning The Clone Wars like in A New Hope?

>"in this movie the new empire guys hates the republic"

oh wow such lore building right there
>>
>>67998016

You're 100% right. The best way to notice this is the other species in the movie. Episode 7 despite being a callback to older star wars and doing everything in it's part to tingle audience sense with callbacks doesn't really have any of the iconic species in it. There's basically two, a mon calamari and a sullustan.

Now the real question as why rodians, duros, torgrutas, quarrens, and zabraks aren't in there despite some of them like quarrens getting representation in that awful battlefront game for no reason is simple. He's simply there so audiences can have a small chuckle and say "haha its that trap guy I remember him" and the movie can just move along. It's kinda the entire point of this movie, to try and tug at audiences with references but not understand any of the soul or function of them in the first place.

In the other movies even the prequels I saw things that sparked my imagination and made me want to learn about them. In Episode 7 I saw nothing but the same playthings but none of the proper buildup to make it interesting both visually or story wise.
>>
>>67998016
>tfa wouldn't mention the clone wars in a throw away line
>kylo literally references using clone troopers in a throw away line

Try again op.
>>
>>67998989
>>another thread derailed
you keep replying to shit b8, so this seems to be your own fault.

congrats, mission accomplished!
>>
>>67999063

clone troopers are a fully established thing, dumbfuck. Keep in mind that in the 70's when A New Hope came out nobody knew what the clone wars was

if he had said something totally random like "the zorgenblorgen troops" it would be different
>>
>>67998016
No, it sucks because it's 100% focus-tested shit, made by a complete yes-man that primarily regurgitates all the plot points and tropes of previous movies hoping to cash in on nostalgia.
>>
>>67998989

>falling for the bait.

It's not our fault that /pol/JWs are a bunch of knee jerk reactionary autists
>>
>>67999209
The movie wasn't focus tested, though
>>
>>67999237
Everything Disney does is focus-tested.

They know what audiences wants and are sympathetic to before the audiences even know it.

It's why they own every bit of media from ESPN to Pixar.
>>
>>67998016
i didn't like that they made Finns character a nigger at the last second.

Other than that pretty good movie although i would have preferred a cannon story
>>
>>67999232
hello tmp image poster
>>
>>67999209

Hey retard, my entire post is exactly that point
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 500x271) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 500x271
>>67998823
Is there an Imperial family? A praetorian guard? Who stands to gain? It's clearly not the troops.

The Republic system was wiped out, why couldn't the Base hit the Resistance next? Did their sun-weapon run out of juice, or were they waiting for the heroes to hit them back again?
>>
>>67998996
>quotation marks in greentext
>missing the point so hard you think I'm talking about how hux feels about the republic
Hux is explaining, in a single line that's not educating the people he's talking to in the scene but the audience, that the New Republic is supporting the Resistance on the down low. That's why they're the "Resistance" and not just the New Republic Army. It's a Hitler speech to his troops, but you the viewer get to know more about the political situation without there being an entire seen in the Senate about this shit.

And the line about the Clone Wars wasn't there just to add lore to the universe, it was telling you that Obi-Wan was an old war hero. It just also added an event to that universe's history, but the point of the line is characterizing Obi-Wan. You talk about it like it was only there or even primarily there just to add history to the movie.
>>
>>67999005

Yeah, pretty much this.
>>
>>67999165
>moving goalposts
>name calling

Oh look typical shitposting.
>>
>>67999520

>missing my point so hard that you think im the one missing your point

The Clone Wars line, yes, helped characterize Obi-Wan but it ALSO added to the lore of the universe which made star wars fans for the next 15 years wonder what the fuck the Clone Wars even were

TFA has no such similar line
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 650x434) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 650x434
>>67999520
They could have done the exposition bit in the same way ... Rey was asking about the Jedi, Han could have told her SOMETHING that happened in the last thirty years ... maybe he wouldn't have all of the information, and we would get the rest of it from The Republic before they go up in flames.

How can this be so hard for Disney?
>>
its a soft reboot.
>>
>>67998716
Why would you need one? Are you under the impression that calling someone a fedora is witty?
>>
>>67998016
You're a faggot.
>>
>>67999697

>shitposts and then claims the other is shitposting in an attempt to cleverly meta-shitpost

you can't out meme me, fuckface
>>
>>67999005

sounds like you're describing Batman v Superman, that movie built up literally nothing, it just showed you.
>>
>>67999932

fucking this

thats why i hope that the solo-batman movie wont just be another shitty origin story. It's better to go straight into Batfleck's life and have the audience infer his origin
>>
>>67999727
>>67999717
Oh is that all you wanted? Shit, that's even easier.
>Y'ever heard of the Trillia Massacre?
>No.
>Good.
>>
>>68000403

i stand corrected
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 736x832) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 736x832
>>68000403
...doesn't really conjure an image, does it?
>>
>>67999790
>you can't out meme me, fuck face
This made me giggle, thanks man. /tv/ is best board.
>>
>>68000670

>i made someone transiently happy

are you a g-girl? a cute girl?
>>
>>68000500
At least you can just admit it, there's something to be said for that. It does make me wonder why you were so eager to shit on TFA though.

>>68000573
What's your point? Are you the anon that wanted actual backstory that perfectly fills in the time since RotJ even though that's never been what Star Wars is about, well until the prequels anyway?
>>
>>68000905
>It does make me wonder why you were so eager to shit on TFA though.

I got high earlier and now the effects are wearing off. When I'm high I get really opinionated
>>
>>67998823
>all of those exclamation points

Pitiful.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.