[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you excited for the new season?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 16
File: 1016133-image003.jpg (131 KB, 934x522) Image search: [Google]
1016133-image003.jpg
131 KB, 934x522
Are you excited for the new season?
>>
>>67978537
OMG YES! WUBALUBABUBABUB GET SWIFTY!
>>
>>67978537
when does it air?
>>
>>67978578
it's schwifty you dolt. if you gotta shitpost at least do it properly, geez.
>>
>>67978537

OOOOH I LOVE LE CYNICAL SCIENCEMAN AND INNOCENT CUTEBOY!!!!! I LOVE RED HEADS AND SELF INSERTS FROM THE WRITERS . . . . OMG LE SO DEEP AND EDGY

OMG THEY BROKE THE 4TH WALL SO META!!!

OMG EVERYTHING IS SHAPED LIKE MALE GENITALS HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA OMG

HOOOOOOOLY SHIT NO THEY DID NOT JUST SHOW A WHACKY LOOKING ALIEN!!!!
>>
>>67978789
whats your problem shitposter? any actual criticism?
>>
>>67978537
WHEN?
Im aboard the hypetrain
>>
>>67978789
this post sounded just like Justin Roiland in my head
>>
>>67978537
They better drop the interdimensional tv episode this time.
Im also curious what will happen. Now the earth is under alien control
>>
>>67978789
Read this in Morty's voice.
>>
>>67978789
>being this mad at a cartoon
>>
>>67978537
What are we getting from your strict work schedule, Justin? A blazing fast record of 18 months to produce 2.25 episodes and another one sketched on a napkin?
>>
God is dead
>>
Hope the gap gives em time for better ideas. Season 2 was pretty meh
>>
>>67978537
I'm not expecting more than 2-3 great episodes but that will do very nicely.
>>
Season 2 wasn't very good and there's still like one year to go
>>
So how will they rescue Rick? How will the earth change, now that it is controlled by aliens? Will they just switch into another dimension?
>>
>>67978789

I read this in Rick's voice
>>
>>67978537
No. This is probably the most overrated show on telly right now.
>>
>>67978948

too many "gimmick" episodes- in which a compelling story and any type of comedy is thrown away in favor of a silly gimmick (S2E01 - the alternate timelines playing out on different screens; both TV episodes; etc.)

too many forced "catchy songs" -- in which a long, "catchy" song takes up a few minutes of the episode-- this technique is done well in South Park, because Trey Parker is actually musically talented and has the training, but is incredibly annoying in this show.

le forced edgy emotional drama - in which we are supposed to feel really bad for Rick because he is such a cynical guy who has seen so much that we can't imagine and he's an emotional wreck / tortured genius (i.e. S2E10. montage with nine inch nails "hurt", rick turns himself in, and S2E3, rick tries to kill himself) these things would be more compelling if they didn't happen at such a high frequency, but since they happen so much it's just irritating-- using taboo topics in place of organic emotional catharsis.

too many references to the creators of the show- ie S2E3 (rick watches a show like community and then cancels it and uncancels it, in an explicit reference to Dan Harmon's career, etc.) these things can be funny or fun if they didn't happen so much. at this point it takes the audience out of the story-- it's like product placement or something.

too many "Whacky cast of characters" scenes- ie there's just a bunch of weird looking aliens in one room (S2E4, S1E10)- it creates a kind of numbness for the viewer, just looking at a bunch of different random aliens that have a one note joke and then dissappear- it's uninteresting and tiring

also Justin Roiland does too many voices- he's good at Rick and Morty but all the other ones - (mr. poopy butthole, mr. meeseeks, etc.) sound exactly the same. it takes the viewer out of the show and feels cheap. and Dan Harmon is a terrible voice actor- Bird Person was way overdone.

i'll try to think of more.
>>
>>67979546
le forced edgy emotional drama - in which we are supposed to feel really bad for Rick because he is such a cynical guy who has seen so much that we can't imagine and he's an emotional wreck / tortured genius (i.e. S2E10. montage with nine inch nails "hurt", rick turns himself in, and S2E3, rick tries to kill himself) these things would be more compelling if they didn't happen at such a high frequency, but since they happen so much it's just irritating-- using taboo topics in place of organic emotional catharsis.

That Nine Inch Nails thing was a gag. Harmon said it was a jab at Futurama's tendency throw a tear-jerker scene at the end of some episodes for no goddamn reason. I honestly thought using the NIN song was pretty funny.
>>
>>67979546
You're taking it way too serious tbqhwymf.
It's literally 20min of having a snack and a few keks with it type of show.
>>
>>67979546
>>67979801
jesus christ you take this cartoon too seriously; it doesn't take itself seriously. Whatever its doing, its working and many people enjoy it.
>>
>>67979546
i agree on the musical parts. very irritating and don't add anything
>>
>>67979546
fair enough. most things you describe with "too many" are small things that happen once or twice, tho. what is wrong with drama? what is wrong with unconventional (gimmick) episodes in a scifi setting like this?
I really agree on the voice part. That is kind of cheap and narcistic.
>>
>>67979546
this is all fair criticism and it is kind of overhyped, still fairly good with all its flaws.
>>
>>67979546
>le forced edgy emotional drama
holy shit, you really should worry for not understanding an adult swim cartoon
>>
>>67980073
I think he understood it, since it isn't at all very complicated or subtle.
>>
>>67979801

Rick and Morty does this so often that it's no longer a jab. It's become the thing that it's parodying.

>>67979897
>>67979919

I'm an aspiring writer so I can't help but take it seriously.
>>
>>67979546
>I dont like meta humor
>>
>>67980116
Why are you attacking something that a lot of people like then? wouldn't you want a lot of people to like your shit too?
>>
>>67978537
Meh
>>
it's a show about nothing, but Seinfeld did it better so they may as well give up.
>>
>>67980115
then why did he called it "le forced edgy emotional drama" ?
>>
>>67980176
because it is a fair description when it is written in such a tonally inconsistent way.
>>
>>67980168
Seinfeld is not a show about nothing, if you actually think about it, mr. parrot
>>
>>67979546

Thanks for pointing out what you find wrong with the show, I happen to disagree because I knew the show would be wacky sci-fi adventures so I expect weird aliens and a cynical scientist who's seen it all. I will agree with the forced emotional scenes, 1 per season is tolerable but any more is pushing it, even if they're "being ironic".
>>
>>67980146
this, R&M are exploding
>>
>>67980234
it actually is because they literally say so in the dialog of the show.
So you just made a royal fool of yourself with your faux pas, it's a good thing you're anonymous or your reputation would be completely ruined by your careless mistake.
>>
>>67980168
Seinfeld got sold as a show about nothing because it sounds cool. The original pitch was how a comedian gets his material.
>>
>>67980228
>tonally inconsistent
wow, no
maybe it is more "complicated or subtle" than you think it is. I didnt thought it was, but some people get it wrong
>>
>>67980294
go watch the fucking show you piece of shit it fucking says it's a show about nothing you are so fucking stupid.
>>
>>67980026

>most things you describe with "too many" are small things that happen once or twice, tho

true- i will try to think of more examples later, but those were the main ones that popped in my head

>>67980026

>what is wrong with drama?

nothing is wrong with drama, but there are too many episodes where the drama is forced/hamfisted. it doesn't happen organically, so it feels cheap and unrealistic. i will try to think of some concrete examples of this

>what is wrong with unconventional (gimmick) episodes in a scifi setting like this?

one gimmick episode every once in a while, but in a show with only 10 episodes per season, it feels like a waste to dedicate an entire 2 or 3 episodes to a gimmick that is immediately obvious and doesn't produce much interesting story or comedy.
>>
>>67979546
futurama doing le sad doggie die ending feels kinda forced and has no other reason than to produce an one dimensional emotion. but i think morty developing an existential crisis over seeing his own dead body works quite smoothly and develops his character in future episodes, even though it might just been meant as a gag
>>
>>67980289
>it actually is because they literally say so in the dialog of the show
that means nothing. they could have said they are a documentation about submarines on the show. that doesnt make it true. You should think about what you say, mr. parrot
>>
>>67980320
yea exactly they changed the pitch, doesn't make it true just because they started calling it that. The show is about how Jerry gets his material.
>>
Its gonna be even worse than the second season
>>
File: 1434001899956-0.jpg (14 KB, 425x253) Image search: [Google]
1434001899956-0.jpg
14 KB, 425x253
Adult Swim shows are televised shitposting. Nobody should be taking them seriously, and there shouldn't be a fucking fandom.
>>
File: 1386913674669.jpg (12 KB, 212x218) Image search: [Google]
1386913674669.jpg
12 KB, 212x218
How many season do you think we'll get before Dan Harmon fucks it all up? I give it one ore two more seasons.
>>
>>67979546
Thats pretty spot-on
>>
>>67980505
His wife left him and they hired a shitload of female writers for diversity points. I seriously doubt Season 3 will be watchable.
>>
>>67980331
while I disagree with most of your points, I can totally understand where you are coming from. But I really think some of the gimmick episodes have good character moments in it (except for interdim.TV, those are pure clip shows)
>>
>>67980505
probably when he starts increasing the frequency of the tv-zapping episode. they are utter shit
>>
So you not only watched every episode of a show you don't like, but have studied them to the point of being able to recite exactly the scenes you don't like, and their coinciding episode numbers.
>>
File: 1438586041161.jpg (17 KB, 316x239) Image search: [Google]
1438586041161.jpg
17 KB, 316x239
>>67980386
>>67980433
stop posting anytime you fucks.
no really, I'm so sick of you people.
>>
>>67980620

In reference to:

>>67979546
>>
File: cantkeepgettingaway.gif (2 MB, 245x295) Image search: [Google]
cantkeepgettingaway.gif
2 MB, 245x295
>>67980564
>they hired a shitload of female writers for diversity points
why does feminism poison everything? they should change absolutely nothing and just do what they did on the first season
>>
>>67979919
I agree, it's great if you just turn your brain off.
>>
>>67980620

It's trolling bro. That's all /tv/ is now. People trolling and reverse trolling and double reverse trolling. Meta-trolling.

You can't take anything said here to heart.
>>
>>67980649
what? mad getting caught being absolutely wrong, you parotting memer?
>>
lazy and cancerous season 2
>>
>>67980116
>I'm an aspiring writer
Thanks for telling us your opinion is useless as everyone else's, anyone notice that people that try to get into the arts without anything to show for it are just pretentious shitbags that just shit on everything and could not say anything nice about something they don't like because of how insecure they are?
>>
>>67980718

I remember when the internet wasn't just something everybody emotionally shits into to make themselves feel better
>>
>>67980710
The cartoon never aspired to turn it on. It's just fun. Same with Aqua Team
>>
File: Why so serious.jpg (29 KB, 367x342) Image search: [Google]
Why so serious.jpg
29 KB, 367x342
>>67978537
I got super schwifty in a nightclub last month.....and emptied the dance floor.
Fucking awesome moves.
My thighs hurt for days afterwards.
>>
>first season is mostly good with a couple of stinkers
>second season is mostly shit with a couple of gems
I don't like those odds.
>>
File: images-1.jpg (6 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
6 KB, 276x183
>>67980564

>Female writers

Hoo boy, I cant wait to hear the words "problematic", "demeaning", "sexist", "white boi", "racist", "---phobe" etc.

I'll bet someone will tell Rick to stop "mansplaining" and everyone will be all pro feminist and act like he got btfo.
>>
>>67980782

"this book Prof. Sheckelcuck made us read says to be critical of everything so you can be the best writer"
>>
>>67980782
notice how many youtube movie critics are failed filmmakers?
>>
File: austrian man laughing.png (46 KB, 156x159) Image search: [Google]
austrian man laughing.png
46 KB, 156x159
>>67980564
>female writers
>>
>>67980130

I do like meta humor when it is done in an interesting or funny way... not when the main character (voiced by the creator) looks at the camera every episode and then asks for nintendo to give him free stuff-- it would be funny if it happened every once in a while, or if they switched it up a bit, but they do it so much that it totally kills the joke and just becomes irritating.

>>67980073
>>67980176

i do understand the drama. it is just done in a completely non subtle way and doesn't occur organically or in accordance with the previous behavior of the show's main characters.

>>67980146
>>67980281

Partly because I do not like the show and want to analyze what makes me not like it, so I do not make the same mistakes in my own writing.

the other reason is a bit more complicated and harder for me to put into words. I'm not a finance guy and I don't know too much about the economics of television, but I do know that the more viewers, the better. so that any show attracting viewers is positive for the network. So it's a good thing that Adult Swim/ Cartoon Network has such a popular show on the air.

That being said, though, I feel that Rick and Morty lowers the bar for other television shows of a similar genre. While it appears edgy (in a positive way) and interesting at a glance, upon further inspection it is really not that great or imaginative. it's kind of like junk food for the viewer. there is very little substance -- although it purports itself as a show with substance. So, it takes up the room of a show that might actually be edgy or unique or thought provoking or subversive. Execs might want to throw money at Rick and Morty and similarly shallow shows instead of funding something more challenging.

I guess, imagine being a starving artist and seeing some hack sell a bag of crushed soda cans for a couple million dollars. that's sorta how i feel (forgive the extreme example)
>>
>>67979546

>12 angry (You)'s from Reddit

Grats pham. Solid post, too.
>>
>>67981012
yeah bro feel the bern fuck the 1%
>>
>>67981012
Then write your own cartoons that you find are more subtle for your artistic tastes, write the screenplays alone whilst starving and tell yourself that they're high art. It seems like you're not cut out for writing for the network, they're only interested in making money. According to them, if your show doesn't make cha-ching/bring in viewers its shit.
>>
>>67981015
>no disagreeing allowed
>>
>>67981012
I think the writing is sophisticated enough for a 20 minute cartoon show. Shoving deeper themes and tryhard 2deep4you dialogue in it would make it really pretentious. It is a great show for what it is and you sound horribly inexperienced, if you think you could do it that much better.
>>
>>67980782

Go to bed, Justin.

>>67980886

"it's good if you're high or turn your brain off, i promise"

>>67981114

while television is a business, good things have come out of it.

>>67981186

i do write my own stuff. i don't have any illusions about the business side of the entertainment industry. it is possible to write a show that makes money and has artistic value. (The Sopranos, etc.)

>>67980620

a lot of my friends love the show and I end up watching it with them. those examples stuck out to me as particularly egregious. I also looked up the episode numbers on Google.
>>
>>67981012
>I guess imagine being some starving artist and seeing some hack sell soda cans for millions
Pretty sure Roiland has been making cartoons for next to nothing longer than you have been in your creative writing 101 courses R&M wasn't just an overnight thing.
>>
>>67981597

fair point. i was getting a little extreme in my argument and I do enjoy his pre R&M work. maybe his creative juices get cut off cus the show happens in a writers' room. i don't know.
>>
>>67978537
Sure, last season had a couple of good episodes. When does it air?
>>
>>67981012
>some hack sell a bag of crushed soda cans for a couple million dollars
>I do not make the same mistakes in my own writing
maybe you should drop your arrogant viewpoint and analyze what is good about the show. not saying the show is a masterpiece, but with a more productive attitude you could learn something from it maybe
>>
The show went to shit after one of the writers got literally cucked and dumped
>>
>>67981012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWFDHynfl1E
>>
File: 180px-Ahhahahafaggot.jpg (11 KB, 180x222) Image search: [Google]
180px-Ahhahahafaggot.jpg
11 KB, 180x222
>>67981508
>artistic value
>The Sopranos
>>
I think >>67981508 is right on the matter that the show just has a lazy essence to it. It has a comedic edge that intentionally makes a point that it doesn't take itself that seriously, or at all, yet wants us to care about a character when he (or she) goes through some deep emotional trouble. This drama aspect of the show is, in my opinion, partly affected by the self-proclaimed lack of care of the writers.

Then again it could also be said that the kind of humor transmits the message that it's just a TV show and it's supposed to be whatever the writers want it to be.

I would just swallow the ramdomness and quirkiness better if it were somehow more sophisticated like most of season 1.
>>
>>67979094
I think it is Justin trying to make people who hate R+M look like fucking retards.
>>
For literally autism the show? No.
>>
>>67978789
If you were over 18 you would understand this post.
>>
>>67981963
you posted this in support of his points right?
>>
>>67983315
Lol fuck no. He's an idiot.
>>
>>67978537
>Shows grown ups will never understand
>>
>>67978537
Kind of.

Season 1 was good but Season 2 was awful
>>
>>67981012

>opinion, the post

guess you can't be that successful as an artist if you are hanging around in this stinkhole... so your 'profesionell' statements are nothing more than prententious opinions,

... that being said i totally agree
>what a twist
>gimme a show
>>
Utter trash for the """""depressed""""" and """"""""nihilistic"""""""""" teenage asswipe demographic.

I shit on this cartoon.
>>
File: 1447270290728.png (314 KB, 353x426) Image search: [Google]
1447270290728.png
314 KB, 353x426
>>67978537
Preachy atheistic barely disguised reddit propaganda? Yeah I'm thrilled.
>>
What is the worst episode and why is it the purge?
>>
>>67979801
if he considers that sort of emotional stuff bad,why do it at all?
why not do something original instead of mocking something you dont like?
it isnt funny as a jab and its not good in an emotional sense either.
>>
File: cuck.jpg (254 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
cuck.jpg
254 KB, 1440x810
>it's a dan harmon shoehorns his cuck fetish into the show episode
>>
>>67987578
The second ad-lib TV commercial one.
>>
>>67980854
They already made a wage gap comment in season 1
>>
>>67987578

The only episodes in the running for worst are: Raising Gazorpazorp, Get Schwifty, Tiny Rick, Ad Libbed TV #2
>>
>>67988210
This
>>
>>67978537
Hell yes.
>>
>>67978789
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0tmbaHcxdvw
>>
>>67988617
>http://vocaroo.com/i/s0tmbaHcxdvw
not bad
>>
>>67978537
Its ok but not worth the circle jerking faggots try to make it out to be. All the reddit hate it gets it deserves but I still watch it and am excited for s3.
>>
>>67988706
>let me distance myself from the fanbase so I don't look like a faggot
>>
>>67979546
underrated tbqh fampai
>>
File: KsYpXaP.gif (3 MB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
KsYpXaP.gif
3 MB, 420x300
>>67988617

pretty good!
>>
>>67980846
Maybe we'll average out with a full season of nice episodes, no highs or lows.
>>
>>67988617
solid
>>
>>67980846
Literally following the same formula as Community. Dan Harmon should stick to one season shows.
>>
>>67979546
>too many "gimmick" episodes
Yeah, maybe. Harmon did a lot of the same with Community. But in a silly sci-fi adult swim cartoon like this, I think it's more acceptable.

>too many forced "catchy songs"
I'll give you that one. Neither Harmon, nor Roiland are very good at using music.

>le forced edgy emotional drama
Meh. The season ending was clearly meant to be overly "dramatic". The one in episode 3 worked fine.

>too many references to the creators of the show
I really haven't noticed anyone else than the one you mentioned.

>too many "Whacky cast of characters" scenes
Works fine for me. I wouldn't call this show supercreative and groundbreaking in it's character design or anything, but again, it's a silly sci-fi animation series. It's not anyworse than Futurama in respect to this.

>also Justin Roiland does too many voices...all the other ones - (mr. poopy butthole, mr. meeseeks, etc.) sound exactly the same
He's no worse than Harry Shearer on The Simpsons, Seth MacFarlane on Family guy, and I suspect that like what Trey Parker does on South Park, it's sort of meant to be a half-joke.

>Dan Harmon is a terrible voice actor
That he is.
>>
>>67986021
Why do you think that? Just because Dan Harmon is a turd, doesn't mean everyone who watches this is some sort semi-goth "american-atheist", attention seeking wannabe tormented genious. I'm sure most of the people who watches this is just regular teenagers and college kids who like getting high/drunk and watch cartoons, and just plain normal people who like cartoons.
>>
>>67988210
Tiny Rick wasn't that bad.
>>
File: 1458687782696-tv.png (119 KB, 225x227) Image search: [Google]
1458687782696-tv.png
119 KB, 225x227
>>67982663
le unknown group
leave the premises norman rolololololol
>>
File: 1459386396597.webm (880 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1459386396597.webm
880 KB, 640x360
>>67991216
>>
File: 1404597234327.png (386 KB, 519x533) Image search: [Google]
1404597234327.png
386 KB, 519x533
>>67988617
>mfw this is actually Justin
>>
>>67991479
redpill me on how trump knows where reddit is if he isn't a redditor
>>
>>67992143
he knows where and how to contain shitty people
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.